PDA

View Full Version : please dont laugh at my question....

VW gIrL
18-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Hello to everybody :)

I want to replace my exhaust system and want to buy the Borla brand from the States. They dont have a replacement system for my car :( so i have to buy individual parts. I am new to all this and very confused.

I have decided to go for a 2" option as I don't want the car to roar. Having said that though, do all the parts I get have to be the same size. For example.....

Pipe = 2"
Catalytic Converter = 2" (both inlet and outlet)
Muffler = 2" (both inlet and outlet)
Resonator = 2" (both inlet and outlet)
Exhaust Tip = 2" (both inlet and outlet)

It just doesn't make sense to me because if everything above was 2", how would they fit/connect with each other when putting it together? I am really confused and I would really much appreciate if you could clear this up for me.

:???:
VW gIrL

Mischa
18-01-2008, 02:46 PM
ey there vw girl what dub do you drive?

welcome to hte forum help will come soon :P

Golf Houso
18-01-2008, 02:59 PM
You don't have to buy a foreign exhaust for your car, there are high quality systems to be had here in australia! Thats basically every part of he car's exhasut minus the extractors. Buying a foreign exhaust is risky, its very messy if they give you a faulty or poorly made system, close to impossible to chase up.

2inch is pretty small as well, go for a 3 inch one made locall for around $1500 bucks fitted for a decent performance one. Also, you can have a 3 inch tip witha 2 inch pipe going from the tip to the muffler and the muffler going to a 2 inch pipe. People often get larger rear mufflers to increase the level of sound.

How much are these systems by the way?

Also more women on VWW WOHHOOOOO :D

VW gIrL
18-01-2008, 03:02 PM
ey there vw girl what dub do you drive?

welcome to hte forum help will come soon :P

Thanks Mischa :) I hope somebody can help me.

I drive a 2005 1.6 Golf. My car is nothing special (except for it being a VW):)

VW gIrL
18-01-2008, 03:20 PM
You don't have to buy a foreign exhaust for your car, there are high quality systems to be had here in australia! Thats basically every part of he car's exhasut minus the extractors. Buying a foreign exhaust is risky, its very messy if they give you a faulty or poorly made system, close to impossible to chase up.

2inch is pretty small as well, go for a 3 inch one made locall for around $1500 bucks fitted for a decent performance one. Also, you can have a 3 inch tip witha 2 inch pipe going from the tip to the muffler and the muffler going to a 2 inch pipe. People often get larger rear mufflers to increase the level of sound.

How much are these systems by the way?

Also more women on VWW WOHHOOOOO :D

thanks for that Golf Houso. The only reason I want the Borla brand is because I have read nothing but good things about it, plus its the biggest selling exhaust brand in America...........apparently. Also, it says that its made by aircraft-quality austenitic stainless steel. Maybe that's me being gullible but it sure sounds appealing. Besides, my brother said he will pay for it.

See, i don't want my car to roar when i drive it, maybe just a growl :) How about 2.25" instead of 2"?

I'm now more confused.........what would be the best size to get if i was going for a 2.25' system.

Pipe = ?"
Catalytic Converter = ?" (both inlet and outlet)
Muffler = ?" (both inlet and outlet)
Resonator = ?" (both inlet and outlet)
Exhaust Tip = ?" (both inlet and outlet)

Spyda
18-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Why do you want an exhaust on a 1.6? If your not looking for sound are you looking for performance?

hgonops
18-01-2008, 06:24 PM
Welcome Vw girl. Where are you located?

h100vw
18-01-2008, 06:36 PM
Vw girl, save your money.

Unless your exhaust is falling off there will be no benefit from fitting one. If you want a quality performance system I'd get yourself a secondhand GTI system. It'll flow better than your std one and will last for ages. VW systems are really well made.

Gavin

aussieg60
18-01-2008, 06:55 PM
It just doesn't make sense to me because if everything above was 2", how would they fit/connect with each other when putting it together?
VW gIrL

The ends of the pipes are flared to fit over each other when connected.

VW gIrL
18-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the welcome all :) For those of you that have asked I am from Melbourne, eastern suburbs.

Spyda,
I am looking for both sound and performance. People tell me that i shouldnt be expecting much in performance but both performance and sound is going to be better than what i currently.

h100vw,
My brother is paying for it because he's nice like that :) I understand your GTI idea but I wouldve assumed that all decent aftermarket performance exhausts are a lot better than a standard one :???:

If anyone is wondering why I am not asking my brother these questions its because he doesnt want to tell me. He says that he would like for me to learn all this stuff because it might come in handy........dont know how :???: Plus, me learing all this stuff is a condition for him paying for it. :D

hgonops
18-01-2008, 08:04 PM
Vw girl try Audvolks

James Day
22 Murdock Street
Clayton
Victoria
Australia

03 9544 9455

Also, I'm sure there are lots of exhaust places in the East which can help you.
Google it.

I've fitted a 2'' cat back system to my 2.0l MkIV from a local exhaust place. It cost me $500.00 and I have gained approx 8kw.
The advice I got was anything bigger than two inch on a non turbo will just be all noise. With exhaust systems bigger is not always better.

h100vw
18-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the welcome all :) For those of you that have asked I am from Melbourne, eastern suburbs.

h100vw,
My brother is paying for it because he's nice like that :) I understand your GTI idea but I wouldve assumed that all decent aftermarket performance exhausts are a lot better than a standard one :???:

If anyone is wondering why I am not asking my brother these questions its because he doesnt want to tell me. He says that he would like for me to learn all this stuff because it might come in handy........dont know how :???: Plus, me learing all this stuff is a condition for him paying for it. :D

Get your brother to pay for a trip to the Gold Coast or something. ;)

If you are intent on spending his money, I wouldn't get a system form the states. Too much trouble if you have problems. There are plenty of systems that are designed specifically for your car, Jetex, Supersprint are just a couple. Personally, having done it myself, I'd have a look around the local speed shops and see what you get offered. Don't be going too big it'll sound awful. 2 and a quarter will be plenty. A std GTI system is about that diameter.

I had a turbo back 3 inch system made for my Audi for 1900 bucks.

http://www.aseturbo.com/

Gavin

Spyda
18-01-2008, 09:54 PM
If i was you I would just go for sound and hook up a mint sound system.

With an exhaust the car will still be slow and the money could be better spent. Could have got a mk4 gti for that money couldnt you? :confused::(

But if you are dead set the advise these guys give ya is usaly ACE and I agree, 2.25" is good enough, have a shop around some exhaust places and see what you come up with.

VW gIrL
18-01-2008, 10:15 PM
hgonops,
thank you so much, I will definately check out Audvolks when i get a chance. Also thanks for the 2" non turbo advice.

h100vw,
Well id prefer getting the parts myself individually and then taking them somewhere to get installed (if thats the correct term). How about Lukey exhausts? Ive been doing research on the net and they seem to pop up eveywhere, so did Jetex, Remus & Magnaflow :confused:

Spyda,
The sound system is next to come. No doubt i will be asking questions when that time comes ;)

Also, could somebody please explain to me my initial question? Its been driving me crazy :???:

Pipe = 2"

It just doesn't make sense to me because if everything above was 2", how would they fit/connect with each other when putting it together?

VW gIrL

DubSteve
18-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Throw on a decent suspension set don't bother with a exhaust!

Golf Houso
19-01-2008, 01:07 PM
If you wanted a higher quality of noise you could just go for a new rear muffler and tips, with the resonator (central muffler) replaced with another less restrictive muffler.

DON'T REMOVE THE CENTRAL MUFFLER!

If you value your health and hearing :(

This is a daily driver, not a race car driven with a helmet on.

VW gIrL
19-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Throw on a decent suspension set don't bother with a exhaust!

I never knew suspension could give you better performace? :???:

DON'T REMOVE THE CENTRAL MUFFLER!

If you value your health and hearing :(

:) Thanks for the advice.

You boys must like driving me crazy dont you :( You still havent answered my question, I feel like im back at high school trying to work out the logistics behind it.........

Pipe = 2"

VW gIrL

DubSteve
19-01-2008, 02:15 PM
I never knew suspension could give you better performace? :???:

Depends what you want to do but if you want to taket the car through the twisties then yes! Thats performance/ handling.

Removing the middle muffler is where the powers at! If you are going to put an exhaust and you want to make it move alot more free flowing then thats what you do!

Golf Houso
19-01-2008, 02:26 PM
Removing the middle muffler is where the powers at!

Yes, but I seriously doubt the 1-2hp gain is worth having perforated ear drums and being forced to wear a hearing aid in 5 years:(

As for your question VW girl, yes that exhaust would be perfectly appropriate for your car, it is a matched system with similarly sized piping. They've provided you with all the necessary components for a complete install, minus the labour of course.

We're just confusing you with alternatives :)

Tbh, I suggest you actually make it to an exhaust place in your spare time and ask them for exhaust solutions, we're only giving you second hand information :(

Mischa
19-01-2008, 03:07 PM
hahaha she just wants to knwo if she has to use the same size piping throughout the whole thing... the answer is no you dont have to isnt it?

so basically its if you want show or go. if you want your car to be faster then dont bother with straight line speed (ie an exhaust) because lets face it your car wasnt really built for that. you'd be better off getting some swaybars and springs or if you're serious some coilover suspension (from kw or bilstein etc) to make it fun through the twisties as mk3vr6 said. you could also free up a few horses with a pod filter or panel filter (replaces the stock filter and sounds better).

if you want show then you can go down the exhaust route but as somebody has said you dont have to replace the entire system to get that growl you want. also consider some wheels or again you could drop the car with lower springs. colour-coding the black bumpers gives it a cleaner more unique look :)

whereabouts are you we can recommend some reliable mechanics who know something about our cars as most places have never had one in their shops and will use your car as a guinnypig.

-mischa

SoVeReIgN
19-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Weird for them to split it up like that - But yes that will fit and be fine.

FYI though - A GTI's exhaust is 2.25" - If you got your hands on one and removed the middle muffler you'd have a decent sound and the same performance increase (read - very little) as your Borla exhaust.

Someone on here would surely sell their old exhaust cheap as - I know i'll have mine available shortly. :)

Bubu
20-01-2008, 03:33 AM
If you do decide to still go ahead with the exhaust, then I hope the following is simple enough to understand and help you make an informed decision.

Just be aware that going too big in your exhaust can actually reduce power of your car. Maximum for a non-turbo car would be 2.5' inch. Having said that I wouldnt recommend that size for your application.

I guess you are not getting extractors (also known as exhaust manifold or headers), these can also give you a bit of power. A 4-2-1 system (where 4 pipes join into 2 then into 1, which then joins to your exhaust) would be best for you as it increases torque in the lower rpm range. Rther than a 4-1 system (where all 4 pipes join into one).

The other thing to think about is if you want 'mandrel' or 'press' bend. Mandrel bends maintains the diameter of the exhaust when there is a bend in the exhaust. A press bend is pressed in to bend the pipe therefore its smaller in diameter where the pipe bends. Press bend is a lot cheaper but its also not as good as the bends restrict flow and the reduced diamater in the bends makes it even worse. But then your not really after huge power increase.

Stainless steel is more expensive but it looks nicer (for those people that like to look under cars :D) and it lasts longer than mild steel. But I doubt you will have the car long enough for a mild steel exaust to deteriorate to the point where you will need to change it (im talking around 10 years ++)

dubbed
05-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Pipe = 2"

The pipes are either welded together seamlessly, or in the case of connecting to cats/mufflers etc there might be a few mm difference so the pipe can slide over the join snug.

I'm new to VWs but I would think replacing the existing two litre system with a 2" or 2.25" mandrel bent system would be your best bet, using one less muffler and possibly changing an existing muffler with something 'straight through' or more free-flowing.

If the diametre of the exhaust is too big there will be a loss in back-pressure; meaning exhaust gases will exit the system slower, which will result in a loss of power. Here's a really bad example but I'll try my best anyway... Just imagine when you drink through a straw - if it is small like those found in small tetra juice/prima boxes, you get a decent rate of liquid sucked up (like your stock exhaust which does the job efficiently enough). If you use a thicker straw like one from McDonalds (a slightly bigger diametre exhaust system) you suck in more liquid with comparable/less effort. But going bigger again like the diametre of a toilet roll (2.5"-3" on a standard two litre) you would struggle to suck up anything because you can't suck in as much (unless you had turbocharged lungs!).

It's all about comprimising for efficiency. Too small and it's hard for anything to pass through, too big and the rate that air moves slows down. The gains you get will be negligible, but if it's what you want to do and your bro is paying for it then go for it!!

mk3pete
06-05-2008, 03:47 PM
well said dubbed :D:D

mk3pete
06-05-2008, 03:50 PM
welcome aboard luv how did ya find out about this site:)

Been DUBBED
08-05-2008, 08:50 PM
For your car you should look at gettin a 2 and a half inch locally made system with a sport muffler with say a 3 inch tip this will give you both a good sound and a performance increase without going overboard and will not cost you to much.:)

Uomo
02-09-2008, 10:46 AM
ahahah....you guys scared the porr girl off the site!!!! lol ::drinkbeer:

RhysQ
02-09-2008, 11:33 AM
ahahah....you guys scared the porr girl off the site!!!! lol ::drinkbeer:

what....you mean over 9 months ago :duh:. check her last post date.