PDA

View Full Version : electrical question - help with headlight staying on

golfvr6
19-06-2006, 10:19 AM
some help please for my mk3:

this morning when i turned off the ignition and turned my headlights off, i got out and realised they were on (no warning buzzer). luckily for me i left my phone in the car and had to turn back - otherwise I would have been calling the nrma for a jump start this afternoon!

tried to turn them off but nothing happened. turned on the ignition to the ready(?) position then off, but the lights still on.

fired up the car then turned it off - they finally turned off

any idea what the source of the problem is? is it a faulty headlight switch? just pre-empting something to be replaced before I get to a stage where it won't turn off

Tim
19-06-2006, 10:27 AM
that is certainly a strange one. Normally the headlights should switch off even if u leave them on once u take the key out of the ignition. In my car its not actually possible to leave the headlights on.

SOHC
19-06-2006, 12:11 PM
How about now?? does it still works like that?? i have no idea whats wrong... but could be somehow be the switch?? anyway sometimes electrical stuff are problems on our cars.

Cheers
Carlson

brackie
19-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Sounds like a sticky relay. The points close, stick, and won't spring back.

syncro
19-06-2006, 01:15 PM
Sounds like a sticky relay. The points close, stick, and won't spring back.
Don't think that they have relays.
Could be the flasher switch?

Golf Loon
19-06-2006, 07:50 PM
Does it do it on a damp morning? or all the time?
Could be moisture somewhere in the circuit.

golfvr6
20-06-2006, 09:23 AM
it didn't happen again yesterday but this morning (damp and cold) i tried to make it happen again - left the lights on but this time the buzzer didn't go off with the door open but when i turned them off, they turned off