PDA

View Full Version : Treg2 brake controller

armdlo
18-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Can anyone assist me with info re the fitting of a brake controller to the current Touareg. Dealer knows nothing. want to use a hayman reese, any tech articles welcome.:?

Transporter
18-01-2008, 02:56 PM
Can anyone assist me with info re the fitting of a brake controller to the current Touareg. Dealer knows nothing. want to use a hayman reese, any tech articles welcome.:?

Did you get the factory towbar?

Treg2
18-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Hi Armblo,

I had the Haymen Reese/Tekonsha brake controller fitted to my T2 a couple of months ago.

Of course you will have to also install the the distribution controller box as well to get everything working but I must say its a nice installation.

Braking on my 2 ton caravan has not felt so good, just take the time to ensure you set it up correctly.

I your interested Umhauers Towbar Centre in Geelong fit mine, Ph:5229 3910.

Regards,
Treg2

armdlo
11-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Hi Armblo,

I had the Haymen Reese/Tekonsha brake controller fitted to my T2 a couple of months ago.

Of course you will have to also install the the distribution controller box as well to get everything working but I must say its a nice installation.

Braking on my 2 ton caravan has not felt so good, just take the time to ensure you set it up correctly.

I your interested Umhauers Towbar Centre in Geelong fit mine, Ph:5229 3910.

Regards,
Treg2

Hi Treg2
Thanks for the fitter in Geelong:) but what is a "distribution controller". Is that something to do with LED lights on your caravan:???:

Treg2
12-02-2008, 01:20 PM
armdlo,

Hope the info was a help.

If you had a factory tow bar fitted it would have had the controller box fitted in the area of the disc changer. If you purchased a third party bar such as a Haymen Reese you would have been told that you require the genuine controller box supplied as well.

The controller box interfaces with the ECU and allows the trailer light to operate correctly, it also has some smarts which detects the trailer connection and informs you of any failed bulbs as well as changing the auto transmission gear changes.

As for the subject of LED's, that's a whole other bucket or worms.

Treg2

Jmac
21-02-2008, 09:02 PM
For the case of LEDS You need to fit resistor to the trailer cable, as the leds draw less current then the bulb monitor thinks you have a blown bulb. I fitted one to a Cayenne not too long ago. I will check my notes mate, im sure you need a Micro relay as well , ill get back soon on that. I have a diagram somewhere im sure. i fitted a Porsche bar and a Brake controller to that and he had a trailer with LEDS.
Stay tuned

armdlo
22-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Thanks Jimmymac
I await your reply, the caravan maker( where the LEDs are) has some bulky plug-in device that incorporates a whole new 7pin socket mounted on a board!!, your fix seems preferable.

armdlo
22-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Did you get the factory towbar?

YES, sorry I havn't got back on this, I didnt understand that VW might have fitted a module of some :?