PDA

View Full Version : Digital dashboard scratched.

Asahi1985
10-08-2017, 05:39 PM
Was just cleaning my dash with a microfibre towel and scratched my digital dashboard at least 150mm from the centre of my speedo to my tacho. Just a heads up to everyone out there that your dashboard is easily scratched. I believe it was my fingernail that did a pretty good job of it without me even knowing as the amount of pressure applied when dusting off my dash was minimal.

Secondly would anyone have a product or technique that may help disguise this hideous scratch?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kachingg
10-08-2017, 06:10 PM
Damn thats sucks hard my sympathy to you

Makes me be extra careful with mine
Glad its coated in pomponazzi should help scratch resistance

Hillbilly
10-08-2017, 10:08 PM
Toothpaste or the headlight reconditioning stuff you buy at Supercrap

Asahi1985
11-08-2017, 12:42 PM
Damn thats sucks hard my sympathy to you

Makes me be extra careful with mine
Glad its coated in pomponazzi should help scratch resistance

Thanks bud.

Yeah it's super easy to scratch. My nails aren't even sharp or long and I didn't even feel it absolute minimal pressure be careful.

[emoji106]

Asahi1985
11-08-2017, 12:43 PM
Toothpaste or the headlight reconditioning stuff you buy at Supercrap

Wow I may give it a try in a small area first.

Thanks for the advice

Kachingg
11-08-2017, 02:58 PM
Wow I may give it a try in a small area first.

Thanks for the advice

Let us know how you go (in case i balls it up and scratch mine lol)

good luck hope it works

DonDubber
11-08-2017, 06:46 PM
I've used Meguiar's PlastX cleaner/polish formulated to remove light scratches/marks on clear plastics with great success on VW head & tail light lenses/covers, so should also work OK on internal clear plastic parts.
It's stocked by most auto parts retailers such as SuperCheap, AutoBarn, Repco, etc, about $15.00 for approx 300ml bottle.

doc_777
12-08-2017, 07:56 AM
The dash screen is not smooth plastic - personally, I would be very reluctant to apply any kind of abrasive or polish as the surface is textured.

I clean my dash with a dust removal cloth regularly - never had an issue with scratching. Although I have in the past left a mark that looked a lot LIKE a scratch - it buffed out easily with a microfibre cloth.

Personally I would be taking a long hard look at it with magnifying equipment before going near it with any kind of abrasive etc.

Wynnston
14-08-2017, 11:23 PM
I usually get a can of compressed air, and one of those LCD screen cleaning kits you buy from an Electrical retailer. Blast off any dust or debris then use the cleaner and supplied microfiber towel. The LCD screen cleaning solution dries quickly and it doesn't run because it's sort of like a gel spray substance (this is good because you don't want it running down into the edges).

DO NOT press hard when wiping it with the cloth and solution and hold back the nozzle from the compressed air about 20-30cm. It works every time for me and mine is very clean and scratch free.

I know it sounds over the top, but considering it's an expensive dash, I don't want to risk it.

gr33nbastad
09-09-2017, 08:07 AM
Looks like you can get screen protectors for the info display and infotainment unit:

http://www.protectionfilms24.com/products/screen-protectors/article-selection.html?geraeteklasse=102&marke=Volkswagen&modell=31682

FarQ
21-03-2018, 07:30 PM
reviving an old thread..... my pet hate is the fingerprints on the discover pro... might invest in some screen protectors. Decision on whether to go glass or matte...

Pete the Pomme
21-03-2018, 08:58 PM
I keep a lint free cloth in the drivers door pocket to give it a wipe when it gets too bad.

doc_777
22-03-2018, 06:08 AM
We wish our cars every week, and the interior gets cleaned as well. Screen cleaner wipes make short work of any fingerprints.

i’d recommend using cleaning wipes (which are moistened) to clean plastic touch screens. Wiping with a dry cloth increases the risk of scratches.

Rocket36
22-03-2018, 08:57 AM
I used to laugh when I saw people detailing cars with surgical gloves on. Now, I absolutely wear them at all costs! Rubber will not scratch your car unless you manage to somehow get something abrasive between the glove and the surface. Well worth the couple of dollar for a pack of heaps of them for detailing.

Jondalar
30-04-2018, 12:55 PM
I've added these to my Alltrack Wolfsburg, I chose the matte version. Far less fingerprints showing on the infotainment screen now, although it does reduce the brightness a bit. The digital dash one was easy to install but I struggled to align the infotainment one perfectly.

Cheers,
Karl

Looks like you can get screen protectors for the info display and infotainment unit:

Screen Protectors for Volkswagen Active Info Display Passat | protectionfilms24.com (http://www.protectionfilms24.com/products/screen-protectors/article-selection.html?geraeteklasse=102&marke=Volkswagen&modell=31682)