PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy the new Tiguan? Tiguan vs X1 vs Peugeot

panz
05-08-2017, 03:42 PM
Hi all

I'm planning to upgrade my car to a bigger one as having a newborn made me realised that my Volvo v40 is too small! and the new Tiguan is one of the options.

So I thought I should ask you guys here, should I buy the car? the other options are the new Peugeot 3008 and BMW X1.

VW has a good reputation here, the new tiguan is well built and has all the bells and whistles, however I don't like its leather seats and the waiting time is ridiculous. BMW X1 is one that my wife and I like most but I'm worried about the cost of maintenance etc.

From my perspective, here's why I like/dislike each car:

VW Tiguan
- Simple easy to use Infotainment system
- Comes with Android auto & Apple carplay
- Active Display Dashboard
- VW is known for its reliability here in Australia and has big dealership network
- Service cost is reasonable
- Large boot

Dislikes:
- The interior layout is the same with the other models and there's nothing new (a bit outdated)
- I don't like the quality of the leather seats where in some area it looks loose
- Only the top of the line (R-LINE) has matching bumpers' colour. The two tone (non R-LINE) looks like cars from the 80s/90s.
- The waiting time from order to delivery is ridiculous here.

BMW X1:
- Easy to drive (important for the wife)
- The standard version comes with faux leather so I don't need to upgrade (and I'm ok with that as long as it's not cloth)
- Classic BMW interior

Dislike:
- Service cost is high and Reliability is questionable
- The gear knob looks ugly and outdated
- No android auto/apple carplay
- The M Line comes with Alcantra seats instead of leather

Peugeot 3008
- The interior layout is the best compared to the other two.
- Comes with Android auto & Apple carplay
- Active Display Dashboard
- The seat design looks the best
- Has more bells and whistles
- Even the Active model has many options.

Dislikes:
- Service cost and reliability is unknown
- Only GT Line and GT come with electric seats
- Small dealership network
- Many people reported defects with their new cars (freeze iCockpit etc).

In terms of service cost - I may get away with free regular services for 3-4 years from corporate deal for BMW. Not sure about VW or Peugeot.

So far I'm leaning towards the pug because it's brand new model, more modern, has more bells and whistles and the price is more competitive. BUT white R-Line looks very sexy as well!

tigger73
05-08-2017, 05:49 PM
Of course you should buy the Tiguan, especially when you're asking the question on a Tiguan forum :P

The wait time is really only bad on the R-line. Unless you're chasing a very specific model/colour/options then you should be able to find something in Melbourne or on a boat coming. You may find some dealers keen to shift MY17 stock now that MY18 has arrived so I'd be prepared to bargain hard on a MY17 or take the MY18 with the updates.

I haven't driven the other cars so can't really comment on either the BMW or Peugeot. Only thing I will say is that BMW's quickly become expensive as soon as you start ticking options boxes. The Peugeot was not a great seller in the previous gen (although was just a glorified Outlander) and resale is probably worse that either VW or BMW.

If you don't like the two-tone effect, I'd suggest looking at an Indium Grey as these certainly look a lot less two tone than some of the other colours.

Rooboy
05-08-2017, 06:50 PM
Did you really expect to get an unbiased opinion on a VW site? :D

The dash layout looks pretty sharp but I'm not seeing many bells and whistles that aren't available on the Tiggy - especially now that the MY18 model has the 9.2 Discover Pro infotainment unit available. It looks like the VW active info display is more configurable than the iCockpit with the ability to show maps etc. Have you sat in all 3 and checked the ergonomics and usability of the controls as well as seat comfort? What looks best doesn't always work best.

The biggest downside on the Pug is the lack of an AWD model - all FWD. The economy of the top range diesel looks pretty incredible though.

You're right that only the R-Line has full body coloured bumpers but the Pug and Bimmer both have dark plastic cladding on the lower bumpers, wheel arches and door sills so I'm not sure what the issue is...

A mate has had a RCZ since new (now 4 years old) and he's been well looked after by Peugeot in Melbourne. He had a couple of engine related problems but they were fixed without too many dramas.

panz
05-08-2017, 07:57 PM
Did you really expect to get an unbiased opinion on a VW site? :D

The dash layout looks pretty sharp but I'm not seeing many bells and whistles that aren't available on the Tiggy - especially now that the MY18 model has the 9.2 Discover Pro infotainment unit available. It looks like the VW active info display is more configurable than the iCockpit with the ability to show maps etc. Have you sat in all 3 and checked the ergonomics and usability of the controls as well as seat comfort? What looks best doesn't always work best.

I actually expected a biased opinion :biggrin:

The idea was get people who own a Tiguan to highlight the other positive/negative things that I might have missed as they were somewhat in a similar situation where they had to choose which one to purchase before they finally decided to go with the Tiggy.

I've sat in tiggy and X1 - will check out the 3008 next week as it just become available in Australia this month.

Thanks for the input so far guys, keep it coming :biggrin:

gldgti
05-08-2017, 08:54 PM
you should get a wagon instead. Wagons are true family cars. "SUV"s are for retirees and posers :-)

Donning flame-proof suit now.

Timbo
05-08-2017, 10:02 PM
I went through this decision and chose the X1 25i

1. The wait for a 162 R Line (about the same price...yes...IRL)
2. Extra power
3. 8sp AT is smoother than DSG
4. Nicer interior ...sliding/reclining rear seat, big rear underfloor storage.

As to service costs, I purchased a 5 year service package for $1,750

And, yes, CarPlay would have been nice when I bought mine...and it's now available (albeit at cost option)

Get 18" wheels, sports seats and adjustable dampers.

Cobwebs
06-08-2017, 07:25 AM
... but the X1 is a smaller vehicle. If you want room for a family then give the Tig a plus.

I certainly wouldn't say that the interior of the Tig is outdated. It is very modern and provides easy access to everything you need. The quality of the interior is up thete with the premium brands.

A HUD is starting to be considered out of date especially if if sticks up from the dash too much.

Comparing a 2017 Tig to an 80/90s car is bit harsh and prejudiced. So it implies you have alrrady ruled out the Tig.

Be a bit more honest with your comparisons.

Pzero
06-08-2017, 09:13 AM
Consider the highline or r line tiguan. The lower spec models visually look like from 80s /90s because of the front lights.

X1 is nice but smaller and doesn't have the latest tech.

Peugeot will lose value quick. Reliability is questionable too.

The most frustrating part is the wait for tiguan, no other real downsides.

Chocolate_Bear
06-08-2017, 02:25 PM
... but the X1 is a smaller vehicle. If you want room for a family then give the Tig a plus.

I certainly wouldn't say that the interior of the Tig is outdated. It is very modern and provides easy access to everything you need. The quality of the interior is up thete with the premium brands.

A HUD is starting to be considered out of date especially if if sticks up from the dash too much.

Comparing a 2017 Tig to an 80/90s car is bit harsh and prejudiced. So it implies you have alrrady ruled out the Tig.

Be a bit more honest with your comparisons.

Nicely put mate

Tiguan 162tsi Rline fully loaded (June 2017) - NSW, Northern Beaches

NW3192
06-08-2017, 09:29 PM
Doesn't the Pug have a CVT? The DSG box is so superior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cobwebs
07-08-2017, 05:46 AM
As much as I hate to say it tje CVT technology is superior to DCT/DSG. Ignore what manufacturers actually provide in their CVT vehicles, and a CVT will always be able to provide the max power from the engine at all speeds which you are travelling. With a gear, then the available power must change as your speed changes, which is why you have to change gears. The problem is that people are so used to the operation of manual and automatic gearboxes. A CVT which always provides max power 'doesn't sound right'. So the the manufacturer provides fixed fixed positions in the CVT to make it appear like a normal gearbox. If manufacturers let a CVT be a CVT rather than pretend to be a normal gearbox.

If the pug has a 'pretend' gearbox then I agree.

tigger73
07-08-2017, 07:35 AM
The problem with running engines at fixed speeds is that they become annoying really, really quickly.

Yes it may be more efficient but unless you couple it with a heap of sound deadening then an engine running at a fixed speed is a fixed frequency noise generator. So I beleive that's the real reason auto manufacturers put in "faux" gears. The CVT transmissions still tend to drag the gears though to stay in the max torque band of the engine.

Still suggest taking each car for a decent test drive. If you can take each overnight and test with car seats, capsules, prams, etc.

One thing to be aware is that you need space between the front seat and the capsule so if there's not enough space the front seat will have to be pushed forwards. Tiguan has more rear seat room so should fit better but best to check by fitting the capsule in there given this is one of the main criteria for buying the car [emoji6]

pocketpunch
07-08-2017, 04:19 PM
Another problem inherent to CVTs is that they cannot hold big torque - for long.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

TheTig
07-08-2017, 04:41 PM
Another problem inherent to CVTs is that they cannot hold big torque - for long.

Whilst we're bashing CVTs, have one in our other car, 2014 Nissan Pathfinder. Whilst it can be smooth at times, wouldn't buy another car with a CVT again, just doesn't feel right, put the foot down and the engine makes lots of noise and you don't feel you're going any faster, plus going around corners and roundabouts it goes out of shape and kind of skips/shudders, been into Nissan heaps of times but of course no change/improvement, we've just learnt to put up with it (not accelerate at those moments).

In comparison with the new Tig, there is no comparison, the DSG is MUCH better and so much more refined than the CVT I've experienced.

Diesel_vert
07-08-2017, 04:50 PM
Doesn't the Pug have a CVT? The DSG box is so superior.

The Peugeot 3008 has a 6-speed torque converter automatic, made by Aisin AW of Japan (which is 30.45% owned by Toyota).

I'm personally fond of the ZF 8-speed in a BMW installation. Excellent hardware matched with brilliant software programming, which is crucial.

I'm still of the opinion that Volkswagen's software programming of their DSG can be further improved.

pocketpunch
07-08-2017, 06:18 PM
Whilst we're bashing CVTs, have one in our other car, 2014 Nissan Pathfinder. Whilst it can be smooth at times, wouldn't buy another car with a CVT again, just doesn't feel right, put the foot down and the engine makes lots of noise and you don't feel you're going any faster, plus going around corners and roundabouts it goes out of shape and kind of skips/shudders, been into Nissan heaps of times but of course no change/improvement, we've just learnt to put up with it (not accelerate at those moments).

In comparison with the new Tig, there is no comparison, the DSG is MUCH better and so much more refined than the CVT I've experienced.Gee and thats a fairly new car too.
You can't go past a dct gearbox, I mean as time goes further it'll all be replaced with electric anyway.
But there's s reason why F1 engineers stick to developing dct boxes and thats cause you get the power loss of a manual box (really efficient compared to classic auto) really fluid gear changes and is programmable to adapt.
Not to mention a properly operated dct should last as long as a regular manual box.
Its normally the people who launch and burn clutches at every set of lights who have issues.

Timbo
07-08-2017, 06:54 PM
The AT in the X1 is an Aisin. Not quite as smooth as the ZF8AT, but still pretty good. Change are rapid and responsive, whether in auto or shifting manually using paddle. Our DSG Golf suffers from some untimely delays and hesitations, by way of comparison. However, it is a pity the Aisin shifter in the BMW is not electronic (like the ZF8AT)...cheapens things a bit.

As to size, it depends on your needs. The last Tiggy was just too small (as is the Q3). But for me, VW over-corrected and made the new one just a tad too big...closer to the X3 & Q5, Treg and M-B GLC. It's a VW habit (other makers, too); the new Polo is pretty close to a Mk4 Golf, which is a pity, IMO

Cobwebs
08-08-2017, 02:47 AM
Re F1, my understanding is that CVT was banned because they were too good - small, light, power. (just as the skirt was banned). But I would have to research this.

Edit: Research done.
Banned! Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) * F1 Fanatic (http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2007/05/03/banned-continuously-variable-transmission-cvt/)

Kachingg
08-08-2017, 06:01 PM
Going to throw one in from left field have you looked at the golf/passat alltrack wagons?

I am biased as i just received my golf alltrack last week its the 135tdi and wow what a car hugely torqued motor and the 7 speed dsg has to be driven to be believed so smooth i used the paddles to change from 7th to 5th on the freeway on weekend at 105kph and my 2 passengers did not notice when i pointed it out they were like did you drop 2 gears??? would not believe me till i did it again a few times

Seamless and smooth i come from a 6 speed dsg which had the usual jerks ect which you learn to live with but this box is amazing

Also the 9.2 inch discover pro is great the connectivity with phones is easy and seamless and i have fallen in love with the digital dash feels like i am in a limo or future car of some sort and dont forget the dynaudio system it is vry nice

Plus bigger boot way big boot vry vry comfy seats ect ect i am sure rooboy will chime in when his arrives in a week or 2

Give it a look price is comparable to the tig and i bet you could find a diesel (don't bother with the petrol)

I love the way it drives vry smooth(with a great growl and big push in the back from 3500 to 4200)

panz
08-08-2017, 08:29 PM
Going to throw one in from left field have you looked at the golf/passat alltrack wagons?

Yes I have :) I do like the passat wagons, but we;ve decided we wanted an SUV as it's easier on the back to get the baby in and out.

And Thanks to the rest of the guys who have provided your inputs! don't get me wrong, I like VW Tiguans and it's still on the top of my list. I may need to check out the non R-Line Highline model in indium grey as someone suggested and see if it looks less two tone.

NW3192
10-08-2017, 11:44 AM
As much as I hate to say it tje CVT technology is superior to DCT/DSG. Ignore what manufacturers actually provide in their CVT vehicles, and a CVT will always be able to provide the max power from the engine at all speeds which you are travelling. With a gear, then the available power must change as your speed changes, which is why you have to change gears. The problem is that people are so used to the operation of manual and automatic gearboxes. A CVT which always provides max power 'doesn't sound right'. So the the manufacturer provides fixed fixed positions in the CVT to make it appear like a normal gearbox. If manufacturers let a CVT be a CVT rather than pretend to be a normal gearbox.

If the pug has a 'pretend' gearbox then I agree.

The theory of a CVT is great - but in reality they are horrible to drive. Had an A4 - put up with it for 6 months and could take no more. Tested Subaru, Pug, Citroen, Mitzi CVT's all horrible, went back to a GTI and then, recently a Tig. Simply no comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kachingg
10-08-2017, 06:16 PM
Cvt is ok if you like having a washing machine sitting by your left knee took a drive in a workmates wrx sti i was thinking wtf is that? Yeah not the driving dynamic i am after