PDA

View Full Version : Wind Noise Issues

Wynnston
03-08-2017, 03:07 PM
Ok, so who else has wind noise issues above 100km/h?

Since I got it I thought my Passat had more wind noise at above 100km/h. Mainly around the door seals on the drivers side. My Tiguan was much quieter. I put it down to a different aerodynamic profile and the fact that other parts of the car are quieter and therefore wind noise is more noticeable.

Well, turns out I was wrong. I was in another B8 the other day and it was whisper quiet, even with a fairly decent gale blowing.

Does anyone else noise any abnormal wind noise?

I have it booked in to the dealer for a look, of course it's one of those things that will be hard to pinpoint and diagnose, so I am really looking for anyone with a similar experience so I can give the dealer some pointers.

Chiroptera
04-08-2017, 01:50 AM
Check the window are completely up. ESP the rear ones. Seems obvious but I had this problem and the windows had another few mm of travel left which made all the difference and got rid if the noise.

heronaddict
04-08-2017, 08:21 AM
Excessive wind/road noise - driver door (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/183604-Excessive-wind-road-noise-driver-door)

Wynnston
04-08-2017, 09:04 AM
Check the window are completely up. ESP the rear ones. Seems obvious but I had this problem and the windows had another few mm of travel left which made all the difference and got rid if the noise.

Yep, have checked and tripple checked that. Even opened and closed every window just incase they're stuck. Same with the sunroof. I'll check to see if I'm missing the bottom door seals.

Hillbilly
04-08-2017, 10:10 PM
MY B7 has a similar noise but it has monsoon shields on it and I put it down to them. However it only does it on the drivers side, not on passenger side

el1x
10-08-2017, 10:37 PM
I have the slimline weather shields fitted to mine and I have a similar issue with wind noise.
I assume it would disappear if I removed the shields.

Wynnston
14-08-2017, 11:14 PM
I have the slimline weather shields fitted to mine and I have a similar issue with wind noise.
I assume it would disappear if I removed the shields.

I'm told it's the design of the mirrors and some are just like that... I will take it further when I have the energy. I don't think the amount of wind noise I am getting is acceptable considering my tiguan which was 20k less and has the aerodynamic efficiency of a brick which sounded much quieter.

el1x
14-08-2017, 11:21 PM
I'm told it's the design of the mirrors and some are just like that... I will take it further when I have the energy. I don't think the amount of wind noise I am getting is acceptable considering my tiguan which was 20k less and has the aerodynamic efficiency of a brick which sounded much quieter.

How are some "just like that" and others aren't?
That makes no sense if it's in the design it should be relatively the same for all.
Sounds like an excuse for "I don't know, go away"

Wynnston
17-08-2017, 10:13 PM
How are some "just like that" and others aren't?
That makes no sense if it's in the design it should be relatively the same for all.
Sounds like an excuse for "I don't know, go away"

Yep, you're certainly right on that one.