PDA

View Full Version : So what happened ?

Antiplastix
22-07-2017, 03:33 PM
After all the Hoo Haa about the launch of the Kodiaq, instead of going off with a big bang, its been more of a fizzle. I was expecting big things after reading the reviews and was expecting more excitement !
I went and had a look and really liked it, but they don't seem to be selling. (even with Skoda Aus. drip feeding them) . Maybe everyone else is like me, I ll wait for the unconfirmed/unlikely vRS version or at least one with enough power/torque to lug around all those kilos.

tigger73
22-07-2017, 07:44 PM
Yes I think the limited (one) engine option is not helping things and although the launch pack is a good deal it means if you want diesel, leather or one of the option packs you have to wait.

I think also the smaller engine options may hurt the Kodiaq as it's competing in a segment with cars that have larger engines with more power.

space-godzilla
23-07-2017, 10:59 AM
I am considering a Kodiak and am looking for a little advice. I think that it ticks most of the boxes for me even though there are some trade-offs. The ones on carsales run from about $46 (basic) to $56 (everything) drive away. So if they're not selling particularly quickly, do you think that there is any/much room to negotiate on those prices? It would be good to know what people are paying in the real world before I start talking seriously with the salesman. PM me if you don't want to post any information publicly.

We had one of the early Octavia RS's (with the Ford Falcon headlights) so I am not worried about being an early adopter - or re-sale value after the warranty expires.

tigger73
23-07-2017, 12:35 PM
I would suggest that somewhere between 5-10% may be possible.

General rule of thumb is that if you can get it out the door for close to the RRP of the vehicle then you've done well.

RRP for the base is $42,990 which is 6.5%. If you don't get any joy with the dealers direct then look to go through a broker.

Towards the end of the month they'll be a bit keener - particularly if they're trying to meet their budget.

Antiplastix
23-07-2017, 03:45 PM
Skoda usually starts there 1% finance offers late in the year to try and clear that years stock.

sclyde2
24-07-2017, 07:54 PM
I went and had a look and really liked it, but they don't seem to be selling. (even with Skoda Aus. drip feeding them)

What makes you think they aren't selling? I was under the impression that demand was such that you'd be lucky to find one in your chosen spec without having to wait a fair amount of time for it to arrive. Are you finding it easy to find one?

Antiplastix
25-07-2017, 11:53 AM
I ve seen them sitting in dealers yards, but yet to see one on the road. Seems to be a common Skoda sales pitch, "get in quick before they all go". I suppose its better to have too few cars, than too many and have to discount.

sclyde2
25-07-2017, 01:25 PM
I ve seen them sitting in dealers yards, but yet to see one on the road. Seems to be a common Skoda sales pitch, "get in quick before they all go". I suppose its better to have too few cars, than too many and have to discount.

The dealer near me, last time i went there had about 3. one was a demo, the other 2 had 'sold' signs on them. someone bought an in-stock one on launch day, and left it there for nearly a month before picking it up. just because you see a couple at a dealers, doesn't mean they are having any trouble selling them. go in ask if you can have one in colour X with spec Y and see if they can find one that isn't already spoken for...

Even if every Kodiaq in oz was sold and on the road, you still are very unlikely to see one driving around. In another forum someone said that only about 100 came in on the second shipment (start of this month). The first shipment being the launch / promo / test / demo vehicles - dunno how many of those they brought in.

as for having too few cars being a good thing, i reckon they have gone way too far. so much so, that it is probably bad for their brand. i am starting to see the ads on tv. what use are those ads if they haven't got the product to sell, without several months' wait?

space-godzilla
25-07-2017, 10:30 PM
Does anyone have an idea when the diesels are supposed to arrive? At the launch, I think the the articles said 'later in the year' and we are almost into August now.

tigger73
26-07-2017, 07:47 AM
Does anyone have an idea when the diesels are supposed to arrive? At the launch, I think the the articles said 'later in the year' and we are almost into August now.

The diesel isn't even certified yet which means it's still probably 2-3 months away minimum. My guess is you'll see them here in November/December. But that's just a guess because it's been mentioned in various articles that it's late 2017.

I'd be interested in seeing the actual sales figures but these are almost always skewed by dealers registering demos.

woofy
26-07-2017, 11:36 AM
Pretty sure someone has posted sales figures recently, or maybe it was a facebook group. Either way Skoda sales were up 200% driven by the Superb and the Kodiaq, so not sure why you think they aren't selling. There is a wait for anyone wanting one, and I've seen them on the road. Everytime I walk past the closest dealer there are people crawling all over them so if anything it will be lack of stock that would hurt a sale. Lots of Audi Q3 owners and VW owners when I talked to people looking at them as its a much cheaper prospect than the Q7.

Vexed
28-07-2017, 10:17 PM
I have seen two or three already in the north shore area... the car looks nice on the road.

tigger73
29-07-2017, 08:26 AM
Well according to Vfacts there were 594 Skodas sold in June and of these 123 were Superb and 139 Kodiaq.

Compare that to:

Medium SUV
Hyundai Tucson – 3741
Mazda CX-5 – 2487
Toyota RAV4 – 2460

Large SUV
Toyota Prado – 1971
Toyota Kluger – 1464
Subaru Outback – 1180

It will be interesting to see what happens in coming months but likely if there's limited supply this may be the major constraint.

Antiplastix
29-07-2017, 08:46 AM
Lots of Audi Q3 owners and VW owners when I talked to people looking at them as its a much cheaper prospect than the Q7.

The one I looked at was more Q5 size than Q7 , I thought.

woofy
31-07-2017, 04:38 PM
Sorry yes Q5 was what others were comparing too. They only got the very first and limited stock in June, so that would likely be everything they had that sold. My memory is that the were only getting 700 total for the whole year and we got extra stock bumped here earlier than planned due to advance interest. Supply is the biggest issue here, Skoda just never have enough stock.

space-godzilla
04-08-2017, 06:47 PM
I have been keeping an eye on a few on carsales for a few weeks and some of the more upscale versions (Tech, Luxury, sunroof) have gone but the Launch Packs and base models seem to hang around. Of course, not scientific by any stretch of the imagination but still...

One dealer offered me about a $3,180 "discount" on the RRP for a new one (Tech, Luxury) but that was almost completely eaten up by their delivery fee. My gut feeling is that they aren't motivated to discount too much. Of course, I have been contacting interstate dealers (local Skoda dealer only has their demo left) so they might not have seen me as a serious customer.

Also, one dealer said more stock in a few weeks and another said November. But they are car salesmen so who knows where the truth lies?

Anyway, I am sorta losing interest because they want to low ball me on my trade-in and then charge nearly full RRP. I know, shocking, right?

Any other recent experiences?

tigger73
04-08-2017, 09:03 PM
July sales figures just out. Skoda sold 508 (up 38% from this time last year)

Fabia 95, Kodiaq 56, Octavia 157, Scout 1, Rapid 65, Superb 108 and Yeti 26

Rooboy
05-08-2017, 05:39 PM
Keep up those numbers and they're heading for a record year. I think those numbers also highlights that it is a lack of stock that is the thing that's holding the Kodiaq back.

Mysticality
07-08-2017, 11:13 AM
RRP for the base is $42,990 which is 6.5%. If you don't get any joy with the dealers direct then look to go through a broker.

If you can get $500 off a Kodiaq, you'll be lucky. Contrary to popular belief, there is no margin on Skodas.
That being said, a fully optioned MY17 in Australia is $56.8k on road, the same car in the UK is close to AU$76k on road. They've taken all the margin out already, and left us with barely anything left. "Money grubbing dealerships" - no such thing in Skoda land!

Build starting September, expected arrival December/January.

Sorry yes Q5 was what others were comparing too.

Q5 Exterior size, comparable to Q7 interior space. (2nd and 3rd row folded flat - boot is 100L larger than Q7!)

They only got the very first and limited stock in June, so that would likely be everything they had that sold. My memory is that the were only getting 700 total for the whole year and we got extra stock bumped here earlier than planned due to advance interest. Supply is the biggest issue here, Skoda just never have enough stock.

The original release was planned for 1st August, but with what the vehicle is, and its place in the market, they decided to bring it forward. As such, they're sold out.
The most popular configuration is people walking in and saying "Give me everything" - they were the first to go. Current waiting times are pushed back to around January-ish, for a full spec version unless you find a demonstrator at a dealership somewhere - in any other case, I would be asking for proof that the vehicle exists.
Unless you want a Launch Pack, of course, which there are a couple left in the country.

But they are car salesmen so who knows where the truth lies?

Anyway, I am sorta losing interest because they want to low ball me on my trade-in and then charge nearly full RRP. I know, shocking, right?

We're not all scumbags. ;)

woofy
07-08-2017, 11:46 AM
I thought the launch pack was including everything and with a decent discount. And I wouldn't have expected any discount for this year at least due to us getting it early and extremely low stock. Tradeins are always a lucky dip, if you get a good one, it usually means you paid for it another way.

Mysticality
07-08-2017, 06:11 PM
I thought the launch pack was including everything and with a decent discount. And I wouldn't have expected any discount for this year at least due to us getting it early and extremely low stock. Tradeins are always a lucky dip, if you get a good one, it usually means you paid for it another way.

Launch Pack is everything except leather-heated-vented-electric-memory seats, and the sunroof. $3,400 discount vs a full optioned car.

Antiplastix
09-08-2017, 03:31 PM
July sales figures just out. Skoda sold 508 (up 38% from this time last year)

Fabia 95, Kodiaq 56, Octavia 157, Scout 1, Rapid 65, Superb 108 and Yeti 26

I cant believe only 1 Scout, you'd think they'd be selling better, everyone seems to want a (cringe) SUV. Are they sales figures or registrations. Would have been lots of Kodiaqs regod as demos.

tigger73
09-08-2017, 03:54 PM
I cant believe only 1 Scout, you'd think they'd be selling better, everyone seems to want a (cringe) SUV. Are they sales figures or registrations. Would have been lots of Kodiaqs regod as demos.

Sales figures are from the caradvice article on VFACTS new vehicle sales.

It's possible that Scout numbers may have also been rolled up onto Octy figures and only 1 got recorded separately.

There were a heap of Kodiaqs for June (139) which I'm figuring a lot were demos/Skoda cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mysticality
29-08-2017, 10:02 AM

I'd believe only one Scout. It was probably the last one left in the country! No more, for now.

woofy
30-08-2017, 01:20 PM
My boss was looking at a Scout, might need to point him to the Kodiaq now. He has an Outback currently.

space-godzilla
11-09-2017, 07:07 PM
Well, the number of Kodiaq's on carsales seems to be increasing (including some MY18's) so I get the feeling that people may be holding off and waiting for the diesel engine. Perhaps the dealers who weren't interested in bargaining two months ago will get back in touch with me. But I won't hold my breath...

tigger73
11-09-2017, 07:34 PM
Vfacts report for August says that 88 Kodiaq were sold.

June - 139, July - 56, August - 88

So likely the June number was inflated with demos and pre-orders and now we're seeing "real" sales.

nau
16-09-2017, 03:41 PM
a bit surprised how bad they are selling here, from all the 7 seats in that price range its by far the most comfortable one

space-godzilla
18-09-2017, 08:08 PM
a bit surprised how bad they are selling here, from all the 7 seats in that price range its by far the most comfortable one

We checked out the Kodiaq and Discovery Sport back-to-back on Saturday and my 11-year old daughter thought that the back-back seats in the LR were definitely more comfortable and slightly more roomy. I know that they're not directly comparable but if one's budget stretches to $60 instead of $50-$55, a demo Discovery Sport with the Ingenium diesel engine (and an extended warranty thrown in) might have the edge. That is the way we are leaning.

Foxpuppet
18-09-2017, 09:16 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/09/f01768e3cdf7176eeb50d9c902546a16-1.jpg

I had no idea they even made these, when I first saw it from the side I thought is that a Tiguan or a X3?

Looks quite a nice build from a walk around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mysticality
20-09-2017, 05:27 PM
We checked out the Kodiaq and Discovery Sport back-to-back on Saturday and my 11-year old daughter thought that the back-back seats in the LR were definitely more comfortable and slightly more roomy. I know that they're not directly comparable but if one's budget stretches to $60 instead of $50-$55, a demo Discovery Sport with the Ingenium diesel engine (and an extended warranty thrown in) might have the edge. That is the way we are leaning.

Why not consider a TDI Kodiaq with the 2yr extended warranty, then? $64-odd-k for full options with 7yrs warranty!
The interior build quality in the Disco Sport I don't think is up to par with the Kodiaq, either...

woofy
22-09-2017, 01:49 PM
Yeah the bit that you aren't seeing with the Disco is the shocking issues that plagues them. When Skoda is still up there in quality and reliability and LR are down in the dungeons its something well worth considering. Haven't looked at the latest JD Power surveys but can't imagine LR or RR have improved much. I'd imagine the back seat would be better in the LR, its an extra bonus in the Kodiaq whereas its more an everday thing in the LR. But then again a Santa Fe would be my next choice over the LR still, but if you want a real 4WD then things are different. We have a 2011 Santa Fe and with two kids, the back seat gets used fairly minimally, mainly as due to kids seats needing to be used at much older ages you can't just chuck visiting kids in the back seat so easily as you once could. But we love the bigger boot space when the seats are folded down and the Kodiaq is even bigger back there. Didn't realise Skoda still sell 2yr warranty now that 5 yrs is standard.

tigger73
13-10-2017, 08:44 PM
Kodiaq sales for September - 91 cars sold.

Still waiting forthe first ones to land on the VWW forum.

iamthestig
13-10-2017, 11:29 PM
Well, I’m waiting for mine to land too...

Mysticality
14-10-2017, 08:51 AM
Kodiaq sales for September - 91 cars sold.

Still waiting forthe first ones to land on the VWW forum.

A couple have landed over on AuSkoda (https://www.facebook.com/groups/auskoda)

We've got a lot of orders arriving December/January so I'm not surprised not many are on here yet.

woofy
16-10-2017, 10:00 AM
My wife saw someone with one at a birthday party on the weekend. They tried to get one from the local dealer up the road who can't get one before the new year. So they went to Peninsular and got theirs yesterday but stock is scare as. When do orders open for the TDi versions?

Rooboy
16-10-2017, 10:17 AM
It was announced back in late August with deliveries starting "before Christmas" and is on the website configurator.

nau
17-10-2017, 09:23 PM
had a call from the dealer, ours was due to arrive in late November but now paternally Skoda is having shortage of ...seats. So orders globally are delayed... new arrival date Jan

sounds a bit like BS

iamthestig
17-10-2017, 10:07 PM
Ah, mine will be on the same boat I expect. Projected delivery for me is late Jan (initially November...).

Am I the only one who has a email with a link to order tracking ?

Track My Order | ŠKODA Australia (https://au.skoda.com.au/track-my-order/)

woofy
18-10-2017, 10:35 AM
Never seen that tracking thing before, I know Skoda UK had it, so handy really. These things happen occasionally, quite often the pano sunroofs have shortages. Seats seems and odd one, but you will find all orders worldwide get affected.

Lucas_R
18-10-2017, 03:56 PM
Saw my first Kodiaq on the weekend (in Newcastle). Quite a smart looking car - bigger than i thought it was going to be (looks longer than the Tiguan). If i was in the market for a mid size SUV type thingy i would definitely have a look and test drive of the Kodiaq.

woofy
19-10-2017, 02:50 PM
Well yes of course it's longer than the Tiguan, the Koroq will be longer I'd imagine even. They are the same length as the Octavia from memory. So longer than my Hyundai Santa Fe, can't recall if they are quite as wide.

19-10-2017, 07:33 PM
I put a table together of specs of various cars that have been on my shopping list lately. Hope the formatting survives,

Car Dimensions
Audi Q5
Kodiaq
Toureg
Tiguan
Kia
Hyundai
Karoq
Golf Wagon
Volvo XC 60

Length

Width

Height

Wheelbase

Tow

Load Space

gr33nbastad
20-10-2017, 04:32 AM
Well yes of course it's longer than the Tiguan, the Koroq will be longer I'd imagine even. They are the same length as the Octavia from memory. So longer than my Hyundai Santa Fe, can't recall if they are quite as wide.

Why "of course" longer? The Kodiaq is the same dimensions as the Tiguan Allspace and the Koroq is the same dimensions as the Tiguan we have now. Tiguan Allspace due here early 2018.

Rooboy
20-10-2017, 05:38 AM
Similar to the previous gen Tiguan vs Yeti, the Karoq is actually a bit shorter than the current Tiggy. It does have a longer wheelbase, is a bit wider and lower though.

woofy
20-10-2017, 01:35 PM
Why "of course" longer? The Kodiaq is the same dimensions as the Tiguan Allspace and the Koroq is the same dimensions as the Tiguan we have now. Tiguan Allspace due here early 2018.

Because even the Octavia is longer than the Tiguan so the Kodiaq was always going to be. Tigs are little short ass things, pretty much everything but a Yeti on the market is longer. The allspace isn't here yet. To be honest I think its a mistake of VWA to bring them here with the Kodiaq on the scene. I could argue the same for the Golf wagon as well, why they made them at all I think lies in the current issues that VW workers are complaining about with Skoda stealing all their work and business. Don't think its a coincidence that the Scout has been taken off the market here, and Id say that is more to do with the Golf AWD and less to do with a Kodiaq.

woofy
20-10-2017, 01:37 PM
I put a table together of specs of various cars that have been on my shopping list lately. Hope the formatting survives,

Is that a Santa Fe dimensions? I'm surprised that the Kodiaq is wider, but didn't look that closely when I climbed in one. I like the width of the Octy, my Santa Fe 2011 is shorter so easy to park, but wider so cops a tonne of carpark damage no matter where I park it.

20-10-2017, 01:47 PM
Is that a Santa Fe dimensions? I'm surprised that the Kodiaq is wider, but didn't look that closely when I climbed in one. I like the width of the Octy, my Santa Fe 2011 is shorter so easy to park, but wider so cops a tonne of carpark damage no matter where I park it.The Hyundai is the Tucson, and the kia sportage.

Sent from my SGP512 using Tapatalk

woofy
23-10-2017, 10:15 AM
Ah ok, that makes sense. I was surprised when I bought my Octy 3 home that it was longer than my Santa Fe, I knew they had got longer but the Octy 2 was quite a bit shorter. The width is what drives me nuts with the narrow parking everywhere so the extra length of the Kodiaq doesn't worry me, and if its between the SF and the Octy in width that would be great.

nau
10-01-2018, 10:35 AM
Mine got another delay... original: November -> mid Jan -> now: Jan -> Mid March

huge disappointment as I was really looking forward to do summer trips with no space restriction of Golf

Antiplastix
12-01-2018, 12:08 PM
Its still an on going joke, how can you award "car of the year" to something that dealers don't even have demo stock of ? Do they honestly believe people are going to buy one without seeing it, let alone drive it, and then wait 10 months for delivery ? Same story over and over, "the Indians are taking all the stock".

spacemannz
13-01-2018, 01:15 PM
Just back from NZ and they are all over the place - at least all around Auckland. Sadly, I didn't have time to visit a dealership.

The_Hawk
13-01-2018, 01:25 PM
I saw one parked at Bulli Beach yesterday, didn't get a chance to walk around it though as it left :P

Blackpaladin67
13-01-2018, 04:47 PM
Its still an on going joke, how can you award "car of the year" to something that dealers don't even have demo stock of ? Do they honestly believe people are going to buy one without seeing it, let alone drive it, and then wait 10 months for delivery ? Same story over and over, "the Indians are taking all the stock".My understanding of the Indian market is that you have build or at least assemble most vehicles in India ? Some exemptions apply if the mother company is Indian like Jaguar etc.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Antiplastix
13-01-2018, 08:27 PM
Skoda are currently building another factory in India, to supply the Indian and Chinese markets. Supposedly up and running around May. This should free up stock for other markets.

woofy
23-01-2018, 01:55 PM
I didn't think Skoda CZ made anything at all for the Indian market, it was all made at their existing plant. Same for Russia and China. I see plenty around here and some of the school mums at the local school have them and rave about them to the other mums. I've never seen that before, usually to be perfectly blunt they see cars as an A to B type thing.

Timilla
28-01-2018, 09:05 AM
I'm in Newcastle NSW. Have been to the local dealer and a car buying broker and getting the same message. Metallic paint (any colour) plus Luxury Pack (leather) = 5 month wait. WTF??

28-01-2018, 02:06 PM
This article (https://www.goauto.com.au/news/skoda/karoq-to-join-severe-skoda-supply-shortage/2017-12-11/68155.html), although it's mainly focused on the Karoq talks about Skoda supply shortages for Australia, including the Kodiak. It doesn't paint a very positive picture for those of us hanging out for the Karoq!

woofy
29-01-2018, 11:41 AM
I'm in Newcastle NSW. Have been to the local dealer and a car buying broker and getting the same message. Metallic paint (any colour) plus Luxury Pack (leather) = 5 month wait. WTF??

Thats not so surprising, I waited from Aug until May for a common spec RS wagon. 6mths was pretty normal and still is really even with factory delays.

HPRS230
07-02-2018, 01:02 PM
Thats not so surprising, I waited from Aug until May for a common spec RS wagon. 6mths was pretty normal and still is really even with factory delays.

+1 for a long wait... April to Dec (Oct RS230)