PDA

View Full Version : 7-speed dry clutch DQ200 oil

rave75
13-07-2017, 01:21 PM
Hi all,

I heard DQ200 engine had problem because it uses synthetic oil and the fix was to use mineral/semi synthetic oil. Is this for the gearbox oil or engine oil?

VW Convert
13-07-2017, 01:32 PM
Hi all,

I heard DQ200 engine had problem because it uses synthetic oil and the fix was to use mineral/semi synthetic oil. Is this for the gearbox oil or engine oil?

DQ200 is a DSG transmission not an engine. Originally these were filled with synthetic oil and that caused some sort of reaction in the transmission/mechatronics, corrosion/electrolysis or something along those lines I believe. These were recalled and refilled with mineral oil so it would seem mineral oil is what should be run in there transmissions.

Cheers

George

Tuan
13-07-2017, 02:11 PM
Hi all,

Gearbox related. Lots of info on this as it's quite an old issue - have a read of these to get a better idea of the recall an second link gives a more technical explanation.

http://www.motoring.com.au/volkswagen-australia-recalls-dsg-cars-37051/
The story behind VW's DQ200 voluntary recall (http://www.sgcarmart.com/news/events_features.php?AID=2943)

rave75
17-07-2017, 03:40 PM
by the way, I needed to top op oil after 8000km since my last service. Is that normal for VW? I've heard VW group uses oil like crazy.

kamold
17-07-2017, 04:02 PM
xa1kqSo3aeM

Hillbilly
18-07-2017, 01:30 PM
xa1kqSo3aeM
Two things wrong with that post.

Its a picture of Cadogan and the word truth on the same page An Oxymoron if ever I saw one.

kamold
18-07-2017, 01:33 PM
Two things wrong with that post.

Its a picture of Cadogan and the word truth on the same page An Oxymoron if ever I saw one.

We live in a 'post-truth' world now...

Hillbilly
18-07-2017, 01:35 PM
We live in a 'post-truth' world now...

He should work for Trump with his "alternate facts" LOL

Or stand out side Bunnings as he is usually "pushing a barrow".

kamold
18-07-2017, 02:01 PM
As with anything you need to take his rants with a grain (perhaps a handful?) of salt however in this case I think he offers a reasonable explanation - that a possible reason for an engine consuming some oil may be perfectly logical design decisions but that the manufacturers (as usual) fail miserably in customer communications.
'Excessive' oil consumption of course is a relative term. I have no problem putting 500mL in between 15k service intervals but if you're a VIP member of your local auto parts store due to your repeat purchases of VW approved oils then it's worth having this checked.

doc_777
18-07-2017, 02:06 PM
Production engines consume oil. That is fact. No current production engine PERFECTLY wipes the bores of every minute spec of oil, nor do current production oil seals absolutely prevent the leakage of SOME oil. As minute as those amounts may be...

Likewise current production engines do not prevent ALL blow-by. SOME combustion gases make it into the crankcase.

To think otherwise is dreaming.

Hillbilly
18-07-2017, 02:21 PM
As with anything you need to take his rants with a grain (perhaps a handful?) of salt however in this case I think he offers a reasonable explanation - that a possible reason for an engine consuming some oil may be perfectly logical design decisions but that the manufacturers (as usual) fail miserably in customer communications.
'Excessive' oil consumption of course is a relative term. I have no problem putting 500mL in between 15k service intervals but if you're a VIP member of your local auto parts store due to your repeat purchases of VW approved oils then it's worth having this checked.

Very true but so far I am one of the lucky ones as have never had to top up oil between services, but then we only do about 5000km per year

kamold
18-07-2017, 02:27 PM
I had an A3 TFSI Quattro that never used any oil.
Mk5 Golf 2.0FSI likewise.
Our Octy diesel doesn't use any.
My R36 will use some oil when driven for extended periods at freeway speeds ie interstate but in city driving it doesn't.
Have known people with GTIs that were using 1L per 10k which I don't think is unreasonable. Beyond that thought I'd probably be a little concerned.

doc_777
18-07-2017, 02:48 PM
There is a difference between "not using any oil" and "the level on the dipstick doesn't change" :) Some oil will be consumed, and some blowby will replace that volume in the crankcase.

Oil analysis will tell you the composition of the oil, as compared to the product you filled the crankcase with at the last oil change.

rave75
19-07-2017, 01:50 PM
What's the capacity of the engine oil? Does VW normally top it up until it's full during 15k km service? I first serviced my car at 7.5k km and I drove 8.5k km in 4 months ( I drive smoothly, use the cruise mode whenever I can) and the oil level already this low when I checked the dipstick, it was around 0.5cm on it. I called VW and they said it is normal, the engine uses more oil to for fuel efficiency. Doesn't sound right, does it?