PDA

View Full Version : Advice regarding making a deal with dealer ?!

Reensabeens
11-07-2017, 11:00 PM
Hi
i am going into a dealer tomorrow to purchase the Tiguan 2017 110tdi with metallic paint, luxury package, drivers assistance package and I also want approx $1200 with of extras from parts division.

I was told starting price is $57k for this and I should come back for visit with what I am willing to pay if I wanted Tiguan vs the Tucson. I have decided the Tiguan and need to go in with offer. What should I start at and settle at?

I was thinking I should settle at $54k???

what have you paid?

TIGER+IGUANA
11-07-2017, 11:57 PM
Given you can pick up a demo 110TDI for low $40k or there abouts, I'd recommend you take a look around at what's already available in the marketplace. You might get lucky and find luxury + DAP. You will of course pay more if that's the case, but certainly not $15+k more. Put it this way, many on this forum have picked up top of the line Tiguans with all the bells and whistles (in fact I collected my loaded Black 162TSI from my dealer just today) for money similar to where your dealer is starting at for a lower spec vehicle. Make sure you speak to multiple dealerships, particularly now given they will all be looking to move on their MY17 stock to make way for arriving MY18.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reensabeens
12-07-2017, 12:03 AM
Thanks!! There is one in the showroom without sunroof - maybe I could get that cheaper too!!

TIGER+IGUANA
12-07-2017, 12:05 AM
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pzero
12-07-2017, 12:17 AM
Just use the online calculator on the vw website to see the recommended price for what you want. Then compare to dealer price. The difference should be minimal to start with. Then bargain...

veew
12-07-2017, 06:48 AM
To be honest, that sales person sounds like a ****. As per Tiger+IGUANA, I bought my 162TSI R-line with DAP for $54500 so for him to say 57k straight out means he's looking to give you a good reaming.

I would go to a few different dealers (which in Vic there should be plenty) and see what they can do for you.
What I did was mass emailed 40 dealers across the country mid-Dec with what I wanted, the price I had in mind and when I needed a car to see who could do me the best deal.
The other option is to use a broker (I'd recommend Christopher David from National Car Brokers: 1300 922 022) who does the same however has access to fleet discounts as they buy so many cars.

Here is my spreadsheet to give you an idea: SugarSync (https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D3352325_08579146_66983)

Overall if you take RRP price for the car/options/on-roads and aim for 5-10% off without any corporate/fleet discounts, you'd be doing well. Cars that are demo etc you can take some more cream off the top.
I have access to corporate discount which certainly helped but as I said, even if you don't a broker will allow you to access a fleet discount for a low price of "150ish from memory" for a transaction. Pretty good considering fleet discount will save you a few grand.

Finally the other factor affecting price is "demand vs supply". Soon after I placed my order for my car, there was even less stock on the ground and expected to dock in 6 months. I noticed less and less people were getting good deals on the 162TSI R-line and any available immediately were 62k, ~7k more than I was able to negotiate.

Addit: found I had written something similar earlier - http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f238/i-have-ordered-received-my-new-tiguan-114104-116.html#post1215508

Vwvw1212
12-07-2017, 07:56 AM
Are you eligible for corporate or business fleet pricing? Not sure of your employment situation but worth a try to ask the dealer. I managed to get 162tsi, rline, metallic, sunroof, dap and a few extras for just over $56500. Took some negotiating though given the demand for the car, never owned a VW but know how dealers work as was a business manager before.
If you are looking to get a my17 haggle on the price as they would want to get rid of stock to make way for my18. Great getting it now as you can enjoy it! If you are going to order don't get one delivered end of the year like November or so as you will take a hit on the value come 2018. May as well wait for January 2018 and buy a 2017 my18 at a good a price on runout.
Aim for early 2018 build with delivery in March if you can.

Also, make sure you are ready to buy. If you are going to a dealer I would suggest the last day for the month this is when they are most desparate if they haven't hit sales targets. Give them a low ball reasonable offer and stick to it. If you cannot get it at the price you want just walk away. You may need to be blunt but it is all a game!
Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reensabeens
12-07-2017, 03:25 PM
Thanks ;)

Reensabeens
12-07-2017, 03:26 PM
not eligible for fleet discount sadly! I have decided to play a couple of dealers off of each other ;)

Vwvw1212
12-07-2017, 03:27 PM
not eligible for fleet discount sadly! I have decided to play a couple of dealers off of each other ;)
Hahaha good idea. So much variance in service and price from what I am hearing.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

colinmc400
12-07-2017, 05:15 PM
At the end of the day, you should expect the dealer to try and take as much money out of your pocket as they can. First to blink looses, so if you do your homework on what Is fair and ALWAYS be prepared to walk away, you are in with a chance. If you know its a 50k car and you try and get it for 40k, its likely they will fold then and there. Any less than 50k you did well, any more than 50k and they fleeced you.

As i found out when I got the deal on my Tiguan in March, that I was almost sure would not happen, being polite but firm and very persistent worked. I stuck at it for 2hrs and never waivered in my approach, "I don't actually need the new car that much and if we cannot do the deal I am happy to continue driving my own car". And don't bugger them around, if you get the deal you want, be prepared to sign the contract right then and there - they really like that, especially the last day of the month or late on a Saturday.

marcuskmt
14-07-2017, 10:26 AM
1. Know the anticipated price
2. Be prepared to walk. There are other VW dealers.
3. Dont feel bad - if a deal was made, the dealer didnt lose out.