PDA

View Full Version : Pedalbox

veew
10-07-2017, 08:05 AM
Apologies if this has already been posted in the Tiggy section but I couldn't fine anything on a quick search.

Just wondering if anyone has installed the Pedalbox (DTE Systems PedalBox – MK6 / MK7 Golf, Audi 8V / 8P + More – AutoInstruct (https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/product/dte-systems-pedalbox-mk6-mk7-golf-audi-8v-8p-more/)) or similar in their car.
If so what car do you have and what were your experiences/if the purchase was worth it.

I just want to minimise the annoying "lag" between applying throttle and when the vehicle moves.
I like to use the auto-brake and in my Golf I would have to disable it when entering intersections/streets that require good reaction times.

I've test driven the same car I'm ordering and usually put the drive modes into Sport for transmission but get the selector back into D for most driving situations and then back into S if I want the best response.
Just hoping the Pedalbox will save me switching from S & D as well as deactivating/activating auto-brake. Just means a couple things less to worry about.

ADDIT: Found this link (Pedal Response box (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f97/pedal-response-box-118403.html)) with Gen 1 feedback but again would like to get more feedback on Gen 2 Tiguan.

Seanix
10-07-2017, 09:49 AM
Hi, I've used this on our Audi A4 and it was one of the best mods. The lag off the line is border line unsafe especially at roundabouts. I have had a close call when throttle was applied and due to the lag, almost got T-boned.
The pedalbox has fixed this to large extent. It also makes the car feel very responsive. So much more enjoyable now with the pedelbox.

Would I recommend it - hell yes!!

Delewin
10-07-2017, 10:53 AM
Hi veew,

Looks interesting. How would this impact on your Warrantee?

I know the ECU tracks every change in its log files so even if you took it off (looks very easy to do.) the Dealer's Service centre can find its footprints.

Even DTE state very clearly it is for closed circuit racing only.

Every ones thoughts would be of interest.

Thank you,
David

veew
14-08-2017, 10:10 AM
Looks interesting. How would this impact on your Warrantee?
... Even DTE state very clearly it is for closed circuit racing only.

I'm not sure how it would affect warranty however knowing VW I reckon they would use it as an excuse to void any claim on the drivetrain.
It is made worse by the website stating the product is only to be used for close circuit racing.

Honestly I'm torn in deciding if I should go ahead, especially with these sorts of comments being made about the Pedalbox:
"I have pedal box installed on my mk7R and it's fantastic!"
"The lowest setting works a treat - removes 90% of the throttle lag. Useful off the mark but I find it more useful in corners - without the pedal box, when accelerating out of a corner the lag is annoying. Having better throttle feel in twistys makes the car more drivable IMO."
"I initially balked at the cost, but wow, what a difference to the feeling of the car! Loving the fact that it removes that lag in the first few cm of the pedal travel. It really feels like the throttle response that VW SHOULD have implemented for the "Race" setting.
It feels like it has so much more low end torque (it doesn't, obviously) - But the way most people drive by gradually squeeezing on the throttle induces what feels like lag using the standard throttle mapping. Pedal box definitely kills that feeling of lag in most situations.
Is it worth $300? Well that's up to you. For me, personally - yes, absolutely. It's really transformed the feeling of the car."

Another installation walkthrough and review on an S3: DTUK PEDAL BOX Review / Fitting Guide – Audi S3– USERS VIEW | Audi-Sport.net (http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/dtuk-pedal-box-review-fitting-guide-%E2%80%93-audi-s3%E2%80%93-users-view.272708/)

So far I have not found anyone who has posted about a warranty claim being rejected or that the Pedalbox has been the culprit of any issues.

I'm going to see how I go with the car after 6-8 weeks. If anyone ends up getting it for the Mk2 Tiguan I would love to hear of their experiences.

veew
22-11-2017, 06:44 AM
Seanix's experience:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f238/accessories-115567-16.html#post1248159

veew
24-11-2017, 06:11 AM
PedalBox $330 | Unleashed 4x4 (https://www.unleashed4x4.com.au/products/pedalbox)

This is cheaper than when autoinstruct had it in sale for $349.

Chiptuning.com.au have it for $389 + $18 shipping.

I've ordered from unleashed yesterda, can't wait to cut the throttle lag!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajdean
24-11-2017, 08:11 AM
PedalBox $330 | Unleashed 4x4 (https://www.unleashed4x4.com.au/products/pedalbox)

This is cheaper than when autoinstruct had it in sale for $349.

Chiptuning.com.au have it for $389 + $18 shipping.

I've ordered from unleashed yesterda, can't wait to cut the throttle lag!

There's nothing wrong with that one, but just know that it is the older model. They've released a newer PedalBox+, which I've got on my car. Meant to be slightly improved in almost all areas, and includes an auto adjustment feature which apparently adapts to your car specifically.

I bought mine direct from DTE in Germany, and paid about $340 for the newer version, delivered.

veew
24-11-2017, 09:19 AM
What was the site you bought it from?
I did toss up about the new vs old but wanted to get one from an Australian reseller in case there were any issues, would be easier to deal with.

How've you found you pedalbox so far?

ADDIT: Used the pedal box over the last day. The car feels so much more lively and responsive! There is significantly less tip-in throttle lag.
In addition to that I don't have to flick in and out of Sport mode or use the paddleshifters to prime the right gear when driving in all situations (freeway, city, twisties).

Sport +0 on the Pedalbox seems to work well in all driving situations so far.

Cobwebs
25-11-2017, 11:00 PM
Veew, how do the Tig's driving modes imtetact with the modes of the Pedalbox? And does this extra responsiveness impact on the fuel consumption?
Thanks.

veew
26-11-2017, 05:55 AM
Using DSG Sport with Pedalbox Sport is too responsive, if you still wanted to utilise D and S on the DSG then Pedalbox Eco setting is better as it isn't so responsive.

I read someone else had monitored their fuel consumption over a long period of time, found it had made no difference.

tigger73
26-11-2017, 07:44 AM
All the electronic pedal controllers are doing is changing the % position of the accelerator pedal. In "sport" mode they ramp the position up faster and eco it will be slower.

If you drive more spirited off the line all the time then you will use a bit more fuel. It all comes down to how heavy you are with your right foot.

Because the electronic throttle controllers ramp the pedal position faster (particularly at the start of travel), the car "learns" to be more responsive.

I had a Sprint Booster in my old Tig and it worked well for off-the line responsiveness, however made modulating the throttle in corners a bit too "touchy" so I'd switch it off on hills runs.

veew
18-02-2018, 08:58 PM
Just an update on the Pedalbox, have used it for about 2000km now.

I've been using the Pedalbox in Sport Plus+0 and DSG in Drive in almost all situations, for me I find it gets the gearbox in the right gear with the appropriate amount of throttle input (ie. not having to compensate with excessive throttle input to induce the DSG programming to get it in the right gear).

When driving on the country highways, I prefer to run the Pedalbox in Sport Plus+0 with the DSG in Sport. This allows the DSG to select best gear that provides the most urgent acceleration for overtaking without me having provide additional input with the paddles (ie. one more downshift following appropriate throttle input if I had used Pedalbox in Sport Plus+0 and DSG in Drive).

My wife prefers not to use the Pedalbox at all but didn't complain with it in Eco+0 mode today.
On the occasions I hop in the car again after my wife has driven (with the Pedalbox turned off) the car feels ridiculously slow and reluctant to respond to throttle input (very doughy).

Ultimately I love how the car has been transformed (it really is a night and day difference) and would be the best accessory I've gotten for the car by far. Interestingly for me fuel economy hasn't been affected (which for me isn't an issue, I'd happily use a bit more fuel for much better drivability)

Kachingg
04-05-2018, 02:21 PM
Thanks for that review looking at getting one myself
Now the suspension is sorted my only real nag was the long travel i.e doughy accelerator feel which i really dislike
Like you i am currently using dsg paddles and sports mode to help

ABT 162TSI MK2 Tiguan
07-05-2018, 06:59 PM
I'm not sure how it would affect warranty however knowing VW I reckon they would use it as an excuse to void any claim on the drivetrain.
It is made worse by the website stating the product is only to be used for close circuit racing.

According to unleashed 4x4 it doesn't affect warranty.

Seanix
08-05-2018, 11:15 AM
Guys,
It takes 2 mins to remove. If Ur concerned, unplug before it goes in for warranty work.
I can't think of an easier mod. It's plug and play and easily accessible.

2016 RS3. 2018 RS3 Sedan. 2018 Tiguan Rline

sharp
08-05-2018, 02:34 PM
I coulnd't find an Australian seller selling the new model. Anybody with better luck?
Australian Ebay store would be even better to take advantage of ebay coupons.

ajobbins
05-01-2022, 02:49 PM
If anyone is interested in one of these for the 162KW Tig, I have one for sale in the parts thread (https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f24/dte-pedalbox-plus-tiguan-162kw-133461.html#post1334224)

Hillbilly
05-01-2022, 05:40 PM
If anyone is interested in one of these for the 162KW Tig, I have one for sale in the parts thread (https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f24/dte-pedalbox-plus-tiguan-162kw-133461.html#post1334224)

Why are you selling it after all the "Its marvelous" comments.

All they need then is 2 Hiclones inline to save 20% fuel consumption. We all know how they went

ajobbins
05-01-2022, 06:31 PM
Why are you selling it after all the "Its marvelous" comments.

They are good, and I liked how much it improved throttle response, but I like to drive in quite a 'spirited' way and my wife very much does not. Can turn it off and on but that becomes a pain. I just found I left it off because if I didn't remember to turn it off after every time I drive, my wife would complain.

I removed it when the car went in for a service last year and just never bothered putting it back in.