PDA

View Full Version : Have I received Lemon Tiguan 132T or again DSG old problems continue with Volkswagen?

cameleon72
08-07-2017, 01:22 PM
Hello everyone, just received new Tiguan this week and from first day I noticed some problems with DSG 7 speed auto transmission , and owning couple VW Golf in past 15 years and dealing with Horror and rip of costly VW automatic reapirs and DSG issue problems make me big worry now with my new Tiguan.
I discovered while driving I hear rattle clacking clicking noise in auto transmission when starting from N to engaging gears between 1nd and 2nd gear and downshifting to same gears even when engine coasting regardless which mode Eco , Normal Sport , but Eco you can hear it more as is engine more quiet and has lees rev.
Will hear more noise of this if I am going when slow down over street slow down over hump tyre jump and when I press depress brake/ gas pedal from neutral to 1nd 2nd gear auto transmission it will rattle clicking noise , noise coming more like something is lose in auto transmission like clutches not working properly.
Sometime car when you press gas pedal from slow down will hesitate to engage in gear than like jump roughly kick in gear.

Car has now 250km on clock and I noticed this first day and still experience the same .One more problem is that car even purchased as new I discovered that computer on clock and service showing that till service is left only 250 days remaining which mean that car already has been activated before 115 days etc.. , VW Dealer try to convince me that is normal to show 250 days remaining til service and that car is New stock arrived before week and was not registered before . Car purchased was showing on clock 40km.

I am now worry that Dealer is not honest and that I have received used Car or demo with some issue and with rolled back or not accrued odometer reading , It is official small VW NSW Dealer but since first day before picking car was all was bit fishy and smelly when we discovered that front tyre had swollen bump size of nut on front tyre (was surprised how new car can have bump on tyre when was not used ) dealer replaced new Tyre before pickup , than we find deep hairline size paint scratches on rear side of car about 2cm long and tan day after we picked car we find small punch hole in leather steering Dealer didn't want to till not to fix scratches and replace steering wheel. Issue with poor windows tinting on one side which promised will be fixed .

I am very disappointed now , don't know what to do.I like the car but DSG transmission rattle harshness and clicking noise and New car questionable condition want me return car and ask for refund or replacement as definitely we don't want to repair brand new car since fist day. IF anyone else can please share and report if have similar issue rattle clicking noise with DSG transmission /engine with Tiguan 132tsi or 162TSI Highline or even 110TSI which is not 4motion and 6 gear.

TheTig
08-07-2017, 01:40 PM
Have you spoken to the dealer about the DSG and the other issues?

You could perhaps put the VIN into the tracking site and see when it arrived in the country

WWL (https://www.2wglobal.com/webapps?url=https%3A%2F%2Fatt.2wglobal.com%2Fgstat tweb%2Focean.do%3Fmethod%3DgetDefaultOceanQuickSea rchPage)

cameleon72
08-07-2017, 01:58 PM
Hi TheTig , yes I did, I was so worry could not sleep, I went same day tomorrow morning to Dealer to report fault, he didn't test car but advised that is normal to have rattle clicking sound on this model ??? yes for sure , but he want me to bring car on service to confirm as can be that is faulty and quality isse problem, which I clearly stated to him that I definitely don't want ''NEW Car first day repaired '' only replacement same model or refund , I don't want first day New car dissembled complete engine and parts removed and serviced DSG . The sticker say build 12/ 2016 dealer say is MY2017 , I didn't ordered car I purchased dealer New stock car.

Cobwebs
08-07-2017, 02:00 PM
Sometime car when you press gas pedal from slow down will hesitate to engage in gear than like jump roughly kick in gear.

This is a standard DCT characteristic. While you are slowing down, the DCT will pre-select the next lower gear. So when you put your foot on the accelerator, the DCT must change gears. If you have planted you foot on the floor then you have increased the revs in the engine. Then when the gear change completes you will get a lurch when the clutch engages. You need to remember that the DSG is an automated manual, not an automatic. I will get my first hand experience with this characteristic soon, but I am expecting that it will mean I should 'gradually' increase the pressure on the accelerator rather than flooring it.

For your other more important problems I don't think there has been anyone else reporting this problem, on this website. You need to take it up with the dealer.

Edit: Any problems you are having with the DSG will not be related to VW's earlier DSG problems. Those problems were with the DQ200 dry clutch gearbox. The new Tig uses the DQ500 wet clutch gearbox.

bestyjny
08-07-2017, 04:03 PM
I can confirm those noises with DSG7 and 4Motion - I had problems with defining it bcause it's my first automatic transmission, but I was worried from months about this clicking between 1st/2nd gear and very slow speed.

cameleon72
08-07-2017, 09:13 PM
Hi bestyjny,I dont know if we have same problems with DSG and all 132TSI but that's the big issue and not acceptable for me. Before I decide to buy new car I was very carefully researched about new VW Tiguan and DSG , knowing previous problems and knowing strong and overpaid paid marketing by VW they put all glory in this video reviews and online motor reviews to show only good review claiming all glory but no one ever want to tell true about bad things about their known DSG imperfections and issue. This what I am now experience with New Tiguan DSG transmission is pure rubbish and not normaland acceptable for new car! This is not acceptable for me, I had previously similar experience with my Golf GT but after 70k km on clock I start getting this when clutches inside have been worn and solenoids start playing making similar noise and shifting issue, and now I have similar issue but with brand new car. We have in family also Audi Q3 from 2016 with 6 speed dsg in which is by the way older wet clutch model I think DQ250 and it is whisper quiet! no single noise never experienced anything like this , no rattle no erratic clacking clicking noise from N to 1nd and 2nd or any other gears or any hesitation shifting and downshifting slowing or speeding never miss any bit! it is smooth as silk! I am now very disappointed in Tiguan 2 , I like the size and look and features of car but if DSG rattling noise are on all new Tiguan s cars as mine than sorry it is rubbish DSG transmission! Looks like VW will continue having DSG problems and reliability . When I hear this rattling noise and jumpy gears I fill like driving my old 10 years Golf V and all excitement go away about new car and I get big disappointment :( . I wish I waited bit longer and go for new Audi Q3 which should be on MQB the same or bigger size than Tiguan 2 , but with no issue with automatic transmission. Maybe I just received lemon which is not on all 132tsi Tiguans. We will see on Monday how it goes when i bring back to VW dealer to check-up and test other same model Tiguan . In main while I really like to have other honest comments and opinions from users purchased same model 132TSI comfortline , if is this common issue than we need to speak loud and clear.Kind Regards

bestyjny
08-07-2017, 09:24 PM
There are two types DSG used in Tiguans, DQ250 6b with 1.4 motors and DQ500 7b for others.

cameleon72
08-07-2017, 09:59 PM
I know I am not speaking about Tiguan 1.4 TSi 110kW I have purchased and having problems with 132TSI comfortline which as you said use the new one DQ500 with 7 speed with wet clutches , but looks like is not so good as they calming no more issue with new DSG , or I have received ''LEMON'' car with problematic DSG transmission .When I was shopping initially I was thinking buying Tiguan 110KW 6 speed and that will be enough for us , as we already have Audi Q3 with 110KW 6 speed DSG with same engine and was more than happy with AUDI Q3 engine performance , brilliant car never miss the bit, super efficient ( heavy Sydney busy city driving no problem 7-8 liter per 100km on open 5.6L no problem easy on tank 850km! ) and was very powerful for small engine little GEM I will say perfect in Audi Q3 I highly recommended to all!. That's why I have researched before , take pictures and compare Audi Q3 and Tiguan 110kw engine and all was exactly the same machine as in Audi Q3 with 2 cylinder on demand deactivation etc... exactly the same look and layout in engine bay , however when I went in real and try Tiguan 110kW it was totally different story than Audi Q3 with 110KW , no power at all in Tiguan 110kw is jut underpowered like totally different machine lots of lag on Tiguan , but what can be different even they share same engine maybe Audi Q3 has different software ECU and tuning probably and some other Audi magic. Anyway after test and sluggish power in Tiguan 110KW we decide to forget and go straight to more power 132TSI Tiguan and purchased ''unfortunately '' , and now we have problems with DSG explained before, very disappointed :(

tigger73
08-07-2017, 10:39 PM
If you're not happy take it back to the dealer. They are the only ones who can make a proper assessment if the car is within "normal" tolerances or if there are any repairs to be done under warranty.

If you're not happy with the level of investigation your local dealer does you can take it to another dealer. It doesn't have to be the one that sold you the car if you feel you're being fobbed off.

However I'll say that what you're describing with some clunks from 1/2 or N/1 is completely normal for the 7 speed DSG in the Tiguan. It's the same gearbox from the gen1 Tiguan being used in the gen2 Tig. I believe there are synchros on first gear and these can be a bit noisy and tend to clunk into gear rather than be totally smooth as silk.

Remember that you essentially have a computer operating a manual gearbox. It is pretty good at matching revs etc, however some of the programming is more about running efficiently rather than what may drive the best (i.e short shifting through the gears).

I did test drive a 132TSI a little while back but I didn't find the gearbox much different to both of the gen1 Tiguan that I've owned. The DSG is not as smooth as a traditional auto but it is more efficient and quicker than the auto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NW3192
08-07-2017, 10:44 PM
I know I am not speaking about Tiguan 1.4 TSi 110kW I have purchased and having problems with 132TSI comfortline which as you said use the new one DQ500 with 7 speed with wet clutches , but looks like is not so good as they calming no more issue with new DSG , or I have received ''LEMON'' car with problematic DSG transmission .When I was shopping initially I was thinking buying Tiguan 110KW 6 speed and that will be enough for us , as we already have Audi Q3 with 110KW 6 speed DSG with same engine and was more than happy with AUDI Q3 engine performance , brilliant car never miss the bit, super efficient ( heavy Sydney busy city driving no problem 7-8 liter per 100km on open 5.6L no problem easy on tank 850km! ) and was very powerful for small engine little GEM I will say perfect in Audi Q3 I highly recommended to all!. That's why I have researched before , take pictures and compare Audi Q3 and Tiguan 110kw engine and all was exactly the same machine as in Audi Q3 with 2 cylinder on demand deactivation etc... exactly the same look and layout in engine bay , however when I went in real and try Tiguan 110kW it was totally different story than Audi Q3 with 110KW , no power at all in Tiguan 110kw is jut underpowered like totally different machine lots of lag on Tiguan , but what can be different even they share same engine maybe Audi Q3 has different software ECU and tuning probably and some other Audi magic. Anyway after test and sluggish power in Tiguan 110KW we decide to forget and go straight to more power 132TSI Tiguan and purchased ''unfortunately '' , and now we have problems with DSG explained before, very disappointed :(

I have a 132 / 4 motion /
Comfort line. No problems whatsoever. I've had 3 x GTIs and wife drives A1 so very experienced with various versions of DSG box. The DSG box on the 132 tsi is perfect. You might have a Monday car?! Good luck.

Gladbach
09-07-2017, 10:40 AM
I find that the DSG in my 162TSI makes noises, but it doesn't really concern me, the noises are at times where it makes sense that the gearbox is actually doing something (preparing for a gear change).

franjae
09-07-2017, 11:53 AM
Id like to say you should let the dealer work through the issue with the dsg box. As others have said, it is still a mechanical thing. All the other issues are minor and were present when you viewed the vehicle in stock?
Some years back I took delivery of a new Golf GTi Pirelli. Drove home 8kms and then limped into my garage. Turns out that there was a loose bolt in the turbo. Was told the turbo needed replacement, next day was told the whole engine needed replacing. That is an issue, lol

cameleon72
09-07-2017, 01:47 PM
Hi Gladbach , franjase and all others Thx for comments and suggestions . As I said for me this is not acceptable that brand new car which cost close to $50000 have this clicking clacking rattling noise from Neutral to 1nd and 2nd gear up and down hesitating jump in gears from slow down to speeding looks and smell for DSG trouble and for me this is rubbish and not acceptable for new car with all this glory's of car of the year is bul...it VW marketing overpaid heap if is this normal for new Tiguan 2. Will see on Monday at Dealer tomorrow how it goes with other 132 Tiguans test drive. Hope I have received just Lemon, if is this problem on all new Tiguans than this is not acceptable for me I am asking refund, I will be back to Audi silky quiet smooth shifting even I really like Size of Tiguan and features and like to keep car , but nice quite quality smooth drive and reliability is for me must! , when I hear those terrible sound noises like I am driving old truck not suppose to be ''car of the year'':(

Magnist
28-08-2017, 12:20 AM
Hello, have you got any news from a dealership? I've the same situation with my 132TSI DSG and am not sure should I take my car to dealership or is it normal situation

Justice
29-08-2017, 07:14 AM
Hi All from the UK.
I have recently joined the forum primarily because my research on the defect that has blighted my wife's Mk2 Tiguan R-Line ownership is very similar in nature to the gearbox issue as referred to in this thread.

Strangely and although the UK accounts for more Tiguan sales than Oz and NZ combined my wife appears to be the 'ONLY' UK Tiguan owner with a similarly DSG gearbox problem.

Here is a link to the Tiguan 2 Forum thread relating to the DSG gearbox issues that have blighted my wife's 2017 Tiguan R-Line 190ps 4 Motion.
4 Motion DSG Noise upon Deceleration at low speed! - VW Tiguan MK2 Forums (https://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1583)

Unfortunately both VW and the selling dealer have declined to accept the issues with my wife's Tiguan which has left me with no other alternative but to employ the services of an automotive engineer to investigate and report back on the issue that has affected my wife's Tiguan since delivery.

I'm pleased to say that my investment in this independent engineers report has confirmed that the noise is not acceptable and that it is emanating from either the gearbox or transfer box. I am now progressing my grievance with the motor ombudsman in the UK who will hopefully conclude this debacle to my wife's satisfaction, which ultimately realises a replacement vehicle or refund. Somehow and based on experience to date it will be the latter!

Justice
29-08-2017, 09:25 PM
Hi all from the UK

My research to gather information regarding similar issues my wife's Tiguan R-Line is experiencing has brought me to this forum, in particular this thread.

My wife's Tiguan R-Line 190ps DSG 4 Motion is a January 2017 build and invoiced at GBP £44,000.00 Her car has been exhibiting similar issues as associated with this thread. Here is a link to my posts on the UK Mk2 Tiguan Forum - 4 Motion DSG Noise upon Deceleration at low speed! - VW Tiguan MK2 Forums (https://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1583)

What surprises me is that the amongst UK owners there appears no recorded issues with the 7 speed DSG other than my wife's although out of the 4 Tiguan MK 2 Tiguans I have test driven 3 of those cars exhibited mechanical noise issues from the transmission area!

VW and the selling dealer maintain that the issues afflicting my wife's Tiguan is a "characteristic" although they will not confirm where the "characteristic" noise is emanating from or what component!

In order to support my findings I have recently invested in obtaining an independent engineers report which does back up my opinion.

Because of the engineers conclusion and VW's unwillingness to resolve my formal grievance I am now seeking legal advice to reject the car as it appears the noise is a terminal one and along with the other related issues could be a big problem in the not too distant future.

tigger73
03-09-2017, 09:13 AM
First I'll say that as yet nobody has posted any clips of the noises that people are complaining about so it's really har for the rest of us to comment. Given that the OP has driven other cars that are exibiting similar noises I'd tend to agree with the dealerships assessment that this is a characteristic noise of the vehicle and not somethign specific to their car. Also in the dealerships (and VW) defence, unless the vehicle is physically broken it's a bit hard for them to do anything to a vehicle that is "operating within manufacturer tolerances".

In my experience noise levels can be a very personal thing. For one person a small noise can be highly irritating and others they don't even notice it. Because you're specifically focussing on the gearbox/transmission noises all the time it's become an issue for you. I'm not saying it isn't an issue but you may be making an issue (and not enjoying all the good things about your car) by focussing on the one or 2 things that are not perfect in your opinion.

However I agree that an excessively noisy gearbox/transmission could be indicative of shortened life. You would have to ask VW what the acceptable noise level from the transmission would be before they would replace under warranty. If there is excessive noise/vibration from the transmission I would certainly be taking this up with the manufacturer. However if after testing it is within "manufacturer limits" then there's not much more you can do other than to keep an eye on it.

This is similar to oil consumption with some other VW cars. Just because the car is drinking oil doesn't mean an automatic new engine. Limit is 1l/1,000km. If it's less than that then it's deemed "acceptable" even though to you as a consumer it may not be OK.

So if you believe the gearbox is excessively noisy (and it may be the case), then find out from VW what the acceptable noise limit is (get this in writing as a dB/vibration level) and then get the dealer to test it. If you're not happy with the dealer test then get an independent test done. However the first thing you need to do is get VW to specify what is an acceptable/unacceptable level of noise and an acceptable test method.

smarty
03-09-2017, 04:57 PM
My 162 makes noise when it's cold, we sometimes reverse out a driveway which we then have to roll down a steep hill to the corner intersection, it's like when you have backed off the gas to roll down, it makes abit of noise and some rattles and mechanical clunks/knocks, I guess it's just normal as the DSG is just working out what it's doing and it's not yet warmed up, the car is in first too mind you on rolling, basically just flicked from reverse to drive and then just rolling down the hill for say 20 or so meters

No other real noises apart from this one that I can think of

NZ_GolfR
05-09-2017, 06:17 PM
My 162 makes noise when it's cold, we sometimes reverse out a driveway which we then have to roll down a steep hill to the corner intersection, it's like when you have backed off the gas to roll down, it makes abit of noise and some rattles and mechanical clunks/knocks, I guess it's just normal as the DSG is just working out what it's doing and it's not yet warmed up, the car is in first too mind you on rolling, basically just flicked from reverse to drive and then just rolling down the hill for say 20 or so meters

No other real noises apart from this one that I can think of

My car (162TSI) makes the same noise every morning when the car is cold and going down my road (a bit of a hill) and I lift off the gas. I personally thought it was the exhaust, or more specifically the resonator, and once it is warmed up, which only takes a few minutes, the noise has gone.

smarty
05-09-2017, 09:39 PM
My car (162TSI) makes the same noise every morning when the car is cold and going down my road (a bit of a hill) and I lift off the gas. I personally thought it was the exhaust, or more specifically the resonator, and once it is warmed up, which only takes a few minutes, the noise has gone.

ahh ok glad mines not the only one, ive not noticed it when its warm, seems only on a cold start

Justice
05-09-2017, 11:08 PM
tigger73 due to engine noise its not possible to record the noise as stated. However, the dealer and VW have failed to respond to my requests to elaborate on where the noise is emanating from or what component is the causation of such noise!

It is not about acceptable noise limits but noises that are indicative of abnormal operation which could be due to many variables, including engineering tolerances, assembly processes or the likelihood of non conforming components.

The independent DEKRA engineer I appointed concluded that the noise was unacceptable and would likely get worse with increased mileage!.....with the chequered history of DSG problems and the recent emissions scandal are VW continuing their deceit to their loyal customers?

I would also add that strangely the noise based on reports appears to only affect 190ps 4 motion derivatives in the UK with one known owner confirmed as having a DSG gearbox replacement.

I have test driven 4 2017 4 motion Tiguans with 3 of those exhibiting worrying noises from the drive-train area

tigger73
06-09-2017, 07:53 AM
Like I said before if you believe there is an issue with your car, you'll need to find out what the acceptable limits (of noise) are with VW and then have your car tested above those limits if you're going to get any rectification work done. More than likely the dealer will have to perform these tests and/or VW agree to the independent testing to get any warranty work performed.

Given that you have test-driven 3 other cars that have the same noise I would tend to agree with the dealer that it's a characteristic noise of the vehicle. Because it's a brand new model it will take some time for any inherent issues to come up and get sorted in production. It is quite normal with any newly released vehicle that there are a number of revisions of parts due to feedback/problems from early adopter customers/dealers. It's possible that there is an issue/undesirable characteristic with the design of some parts that cause the noise you're talking about. You would have to wait until the noise is diagnosed down to the component and then a new revision of the component made in order to get this fitted to your vehicle.

I'd agree with you that it's maybe an undesirable noise, however I don't think this noise is making the car unsafe/dangerous to drive. If you're really concerned about it (which sounds like to be the case), I would keep onto VW about it. As I said before though you will have to wait until a revised part is available as fitting the same part again to your car may well result in the same issue (given that many of the similar cars have the same noise).

Hopefully your work will make a better car for those buying in 2019/2020 after all of the initial production issues get sorted.

Justice
20-09-2017, 01:50 AM
tigger73 my wife has managed to upload a video from her iphone of the DSG noise on her Tiguan via YouTube -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O96j_x9M3fk&feature=youtu.be

YouTube (https://youtu.be/O96j_x9M3fk)

I would draw your attention to the following specific times in the sound video where the noise is highly noticeable - 5 seconds, 35 seconds, 49 - 55 seconds, 1m 5 seconds - 1min 12 seconds, 1min 25 seconds - 1min 40 seconds, 1min 45 seconds - 1min 52 seconds and 2 min - 2min 20 seconds!

I would welcome your views on whether you think this DSG noise is acceptable on a £44,000.00 GBP car?

GeeMoney
20-09-2017, 01:58 AM
tigger73 my wife has managed to upload a video from her iphone of the DSG noise on her Tiguan via YouTube -

I would draw your attention to the following specific times in the sound video where the noise is highly noticeable - 5 seconds, 35 seconds, 49 - 55 seconds, 1m 5 seconds - 1min 12 seconds, 1min 25 seconds - 1min 40 seconds, 1min 45 seconds - 1min 52 seconds and 2 min - 2min 20 seconds!

I would welcome your views on whether you think this DSG noise is acceptable on a £44,000.00 GBP car?

On the 1m and 12 seconds there is a strange sound if you ask me.
My DSG does not sound like that at all. I wonde rif it's the gearbox though, it seems like the sound is also there when not hearing any acceleration. Of course it's hard for me to be sure about this as i'm not sitting in the car or driving myself.
If you keep "playing" with the gas in the same gear, do you hear this sound too? (use the flippers on the steering wheel or put it on M mode)
Maybe let someone (independent) check all "moving" parts on the bottom and wheels and check if every bolt is tied up correctly.

Does the sound get louder if your speed increases?

tigger73
20-09-2017, 07:45 AM
I've listened to the clip a number of times and to be honest I initailly couldn't hear anything other than a "normal" car. However there is definitely something that sounds like metal on metal rubbing like you're running short on brake disc and you've got caliper against rotor.

The hard thing is that noises often get transferred around a car so it can be difficult to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from. Did the guy that did the independent testing get the car up on a hoist to check exactly what the source of the noise was?

Justice
20-09-2017, 10:13 PM
On the 1m and 12 seconds there is a strange sound if you ask me.
My DSG does not sound like that at all. I wonde rif it's the gearbox though, it seems like the sound is also there when not hearing any acceleration. Of course it's hard for me to be sure about this as i'm not sitting in the car or driving myself.
If you keep "playing" with the gas in the same gear, do you hear this sound too? (use the flippers on the steering wheel or put it on M mode)
Maybe let someone (independent) check all "moving" parts on the bottom and wheels and check if every bolt is tied up correctly.

Does the sound get louder if your speed increases?

GEEMONEY check the recording at 5 seconds - 12 seconds, 1m.25 - 1m.40 and 2m - 2m.20 that where the noise is highlighted most IMO.

The independent engineer I appointed seems to think the noise is emanating from the transfer box and the dealer from the gearbox!

The grating noise does not appear under acceleration, only downshifting at speeds up to 20mph. There is also a noticeable bearing type sound when driving at constant speed (40/50mph max) in ALL gears. All the checks you have indicated have been carried out by the dealer and independent engineer.

The noise appears to be getting worse with more use. Unfortunately the sound recording which was made via a mobile phone does not highlight the noise in a true sense.

I've listened to the clip a number of times and to be honest I initailly couldn't hear anything other than a "normal" car. However there is definitely something that sounds like metal on metal rubbing like you're running short on brake disc and you've got caliper against rotor.

The hard thing is that noises often get transferred around a car so it can be difficult to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from. Did the guy that did the independent testing get the car up on a hoist to check exactly what the source of the noise was?

The sound recording was made by my wife on her iPhone so not the best and certainly not a true reproduction of the noise in real terms.

Your description of metal on metal is certainly quite correct as I mentioned it was a metal grating noise. Like you say noises can appear to be originating from other sources due to sound resonance, however it is definitely a noise whose source is the drive train area which could be either the gearbox (Dealers opinion), Transfer Box (independent Engineers opinion) or possibly the differential.

The idea of putting the car on ramps to ascertain root cause would not identify the noise as it is only audible when driven. The independent engineers opinion is based purely on visual inspection and test driving the car.

tigger73
21-09-2017, 07:41 AM
The grating noise does not appear under acceleration, only downshifting at speeds up to 20mph. There is also a noticeable bearing type sound when driving at constant speed (40/50mph max) in ALL gears.

I'd suggest it's due to engine braking causing the driveline to move from being under power to transferring the power from the wheel back through the engine. The drivetrain will shift in its mounts so I'm guessing this must be just enough to cause some interference somewhere along the driveline.

The noise appears to be getting worse with more use. Unfortunately the sound recording which was made via a mobile phone does not highlight the noise in a true sense.

Well I would be making 100% sure that the issue is logged with VW itself and not just with the dealer. I'd also be asking them at what point the noise is unacceptable and that they are going to rectify the issue.

Your description of metal on metal is certainly quite correct as I mentioned it was a metal grating noise. Like you say noises can appear to be originating from other sources due to sound resonance, however it is definitely a noise whose source is the drive train area which could be either the gearbox (Dealers opinion), Transfer Box (independent Engineers opinion) or possibly the differential.

The idea of putting the car on ramps to ascertain root cause would not identify the noise as it is only audible when driven. The independent engineers opinion is based purely on visual inspection and test driving the car.

Well if it only happens when loaded up on the road I can understand and that does make diagnosis more problematic. I would be talkingto VW themselves and push to get one of their master technicians to look into it if the dealer is unable to diagnose the issue.

The problem lies with the dealer not being able to diagnose the fault and not wanting to recommend a course of action only for it not to solve the problem. Then the problem transfers from VW as a warranty issue tothe dealer (the dealer carries the can if they stuff things up or mis-diagnose the issue). So push to get VWmaster tech to look at your car when he is in the area. Sounds like it's still drive-able but understand you wan this issue fixed sooner rather than later as you don't want any permanent damage being done.

Justice
21-09-2017, 10:11 PM
I'd suggest it's due to engine braking causing the driveline to move from being under power to transferring the power from the wheel back through the engine. The drivetrain will shift in its mounts so I'm guessing this must be just enough to cause some interference somewhere along the driveline.

The sound recording was made on perfectly flat roads at speeds up to 20 mph so there should not be sufficient or any drivetrain movement to warrant any related noise. The noise is definitely an internal one in either the gearbox, transfer box or differential.

Well I would be making 100% sure that the issue is logged with VW itself and not just with the dealer. I'd also be asking them at what point the noise is unacceptable and that they are going to rectify the issue.

The issue is logged with the dealer and VW. Unfortunately neither party will accept responsibility or confirm where the noise is emanating from!.....maybe because this is another major DSG quality concern in the making??!!

Well if it only happens when loaded up on the road I can understand and that does make diagnosis more problematic. I would be talking to VW themselves and push to get one of their master technicians to look into it if the dealer is unable to diagnose the issue.

It happens when down shifting or driving any 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear up to 20 mph. In addition a "worn bearing" sound is noticeable in all gears up to 40 mph! I have had several master technicians look at the car and test drive it and neither know what the root cause is as they have had to rely on VW technical assistance for a diagnosis. Given that the dealer believes it is a 'characteristic' begs the question why the dealer requested VW tech assistance when it is supposedly 'normal operation' noise!.......a noise that master techs would be be aware of on a daily basis???

The problem lies with the dealer not being able to diagnose the fault and not wanting to recommend a course of action only for it not to solve the problem. Then the problem transfers from VW as a warranty issue tothe dealer (the dealer carries the can if they stuff things up or mis-diagnose the issue). So push to get VWmaster tech to look at your car when he is in the area. Sounds like it's still drive-able but understand you wan this issue fixed sooner rather than later as you don't want any permanent damage being done

The dealer is adamant that the noise is a normal operational noise and a "characteristic" of the 7 speed DSG which I do not accept!
I would get better gearbox refinement from a Russian Trabant!!

I am hoping that the UK Motor Ombudsman will look at my wife's plight favourably as this noise is not acceptable given the vehicle price and history of DSG failures, not forgetting the fact that many Tiguan owners are confirming that their cars do not exhibit any noises from the drivetrain area.

tigger73
21-09-2017, 11:02 PM
Don't be jumping on the DSG bandwagon. The DSG in the Tiguan is a completely different unit to the earlier 7 speed dry clutch ones with a lot of issues. Yours is a very robust gearbox in comparison.

I think you'll find it's rear tail shaft /transfer case as there's something moving when you decelerate just enough to give you a slight rubbing somewhere in the drive line.

The dealers have master techs but VW does also. I'd be pushing for the VW tech to look at it. The dealer is only saying it's "normal" as they don't know what to do. If it breaks they can fix it but until that happens it's an annoying characteristic.

harry
23-09-2017, 01:48 AM
I honestly can't hear anything. All I can ascertain is that you have a strange driving style, unless you were stuck in traffic or drive no faster than what seemed to be 1st gear - to which I say DSGs hate rolling around in 1st. I would probably recommend recording by your headrest, as that would be where your ears are as the driver and effectively where the sound will travel - ie. why you might hear it, and not on the video.

Hopefully you'll reach a resolution with whomever if helping you.

tigger73
23-09-2017, 05:07 AM
I honestly can't hear anything.

I originally thought the same but put on some headphones and listen for noises other than engine noise and clunks as the phone moves around and there definitely is a metal on metal rubbing/grinding noise in the background.

The problem is once you hear it you're very conscious of it and can hear it every time it happens. I think what happens is you become highly attuned to it and then can't "unhear" it. So even though it's not a loud noise, you're very conscious of it every time it happens.

It's called OCD and the worst nightmare of any service department customer service personnel. It's a hard one as what is acceptable to one person is completely unacceptable to another. If you were driving with it for 5 minutes it probably wouldn't bother you too much but all the time I can understand with some people they would go nuts.

I I would probably recommend recording by your headrest, as that would be where your ears are as the driver and effectively where the sound will travel - ie. why you might hear it, and not on the video.

Actually what I'd do is stick a stethoscope mic onto some metal part of the car that is connected to whatever is rubbing and then get a clear recording.

Record that along with a video of the tacho/speedo and send that to VW. That way they can clearly see what is going on.

If you still get no resolution going the warranty path with the dealer, post it on their Facebook page as an absolute last resort.

Justice
25-09-2017, 06:19 AM
I honestly can't hearanything. All I can ascertain is that you have a strange driving style, unlessyou were stuck in traffic or drive no faster than what seemed to be 1st gear -to which I say DSGs hate rolling around in 1st. I would probably recommendrecording by your headrest, as that would be where your ears are as the driverand effectively where the sound will travel - ie. why you might hear it, andnot on the video.

harry do you have an hearing impairment? if you read my previous posts you will better understand the driving style as apparent in the sound recording, it is not a strange driving style but one that simulates stop/start traffic conditions. I will advise you that the noise is apparent in all gears (more noticeable at low speeds 4thgear up to 20mph) but due to engine/road noise at higher speeds/revs the noiseis less noticeable. Unfortunately I live in a busy city and there are timeswhen I can be stuck in traffic for a long time creeping along in 2nd and 3rd gearswhich makes this noise unbearable!! You may say put your music on but inresponse I will add that my wife did not pay £38,000 GBP (65,000 AUD) to tolerate such poormechanical refinement!

The problem is once you hear it you're very conscious of it and can hear it every time it happens. I think what happens is you become highly attuned to it and then can't "unhear" it. So even though it's not a loud noise, you're very conscious of it every time it happens.

You have hit the nail on the head!!......and it does go beyond spoiling the ownership experience!..........My wife did not part with £38,000 GBP (65,000 AUD) to endure what is very poor refinement and a possible major component failure in the making! Most owners are reporting no noise so clearly there is an issue with the drivetrain on my wifes Tiguan.

It's called OCD and the worst nightmare of any service department customer service personnel. It's a hard one as what is acceptable to one person is completely unacceptable to another. If you were driving with it for 5 minutes it probably wouldn't bother you too much but all the time I can understand with some people they would go nuts

I have to disagree on the OCD part! It is more about being vigilant, understanding the expectations of such a car and when to raise issues when you know something is not working as it should! I have to agree with you somewhat on the basis that what is acceptable to one person is not acceptable to another, this is duly because for some their driving style does not realise the noise and for others they are not enthusiasts but have company cars and use their cars as work tools. The other thing being automotive knowledge!

Actually what I'd do is stick a stethoscope mic onto some metal part of the car that is connected to whatever is rubbing and then get a clear recording.

Record that along with a video of the tacho/speedo and send that to VW. That way they can clearly see what is going on.

This type of apparatus is only available for specialist engineering applications and is not something that is readily available to the general public.

If you still get no resolution going the warranty path with the dealer, post it on their Facebook page as an absolute last resort.

The dealer maintains it is normal operational noise which is contrary to my opinion and that of the DEKRA independent engineer, so nothing will be repaired under warranty. Unfortunately I will have to wait the intervention of the arbitrary service that is the UK motor Ombudsman before I decide on the next course of action which will be the legal route!

tigger73
25-09-2017, 07:23 AM
The dealer maintains it is normal operational noise which is contrary to my opinion and that of the DEKRA independent engineer, so nothing will be repaired under warranty. Unfortunately I will have to wait the intervention of the arbitrary service that is the UK motor Ombudsman before I decide on the next course of action which will be the legal route!

Dealer just wants to wipe his hands of it as he can see that he's going to get dragged into something that is going to consume a lot of time that he can't bill anyone for. So the easiest solution is to tell you that it is "normal" and hope you and your problem go away.

Koff
25-09-2017, 04:12 PM
harry do you have an hearing impairment? if you read my previous posts you will better understand the driving style as apparent in the sound recording, it is not a strange driving style but one that simulates stop/start traffic conditions. I will advise you that the noise is apparent in all gears (more noticeable at low speeds 4thgear up to 20mph) but due to engine/road noise at higher speeds/revs the noiseis less noticeable. Unfortunately I live in a busy city and there are timeswhen I can be stuck in traffic for a long time creeping along in 2nd and 3rd gearswhich makes this noise unbearable!! You may say put your music on but inresponse I will add that my wife did not pay £38,000 GBP (65,000 AUD) to tolerate such poormechanical refinement!

Mate,

I also can't hear anything, does that mean that I too have a hearing impairment? Take it easy, will you.

If you're not happy with the car, keep pestering the dealer. If no joy there go to a third party ombudsman and see where that will take you. There is no need for you to take it out on the people here.

Justice
25-09-2017, 09:08 PM
Mate,

I also can't hear anything, does that mean that I too have a hearing impairment? Take it easy, will you.

If you're not happy with the car, keep pestering the dealer. If no joy there go to a third party ombudsman and see where that will take you. There is no need for you to take it out on the people here.

Koff I have an hearing impairment myself due to my many years of working in heavy engineering industry and to me the noise is pretty clear in the sound recording.

Maybe that is the the reason why some Tiguan owners do not report the noise because they cannot hear it on their own cars??!!

Ill leave further comments until I have a final conclusion!

spacemannz
27-09-2017, 06:40 PM
I too can hear something ‘different’ in my DSG and having an industrial machinery background, I tend to tune into and fixate on certain sounds. I’m undecided if it is an issue or just characteristics of the DSG. It’s new tech to me. I’m not worried right now - keep calm and put my foot down. I committed to buy my first VW knowing the DSG, customer service and Dieselgate issues. But judging by the volume of vehicles they sell, it can’t be that bad.

A couple of bits of advice:
1. Perhaps you’ll get a clearer recording if you have your window open and drive in a tunnel or near concrete median barrier. Pick a quiet time of day to minimise other traffic noise.
2. Don’t forget to thank the 170 people who took the time to read your plea and listen to your recording. We’re all sympathetic to your situation and **** scared that it will happen to us too.

Good luck, and keep us informed.

cameleon72
07-12-2017, 05:53 PM
Hi sorry to all was overseas didn't have time to reply, this is continue from other thread on request from user Justice we will continue here discussion
Justice is right to be upset as recording audio on mobile phone with poor audio microphone is just not enough even I cant hear those noise from audio but having same issue I tottaly understand why he is upset, to catch all this clunking clicking rattle noise as human ears works differently ,you will need some professional audio recording device with multiply microphone inputs to clearly record this issue and isolate external motor and driving noises coming and mixing inside of cabin , is different driving live in car .

By my long testing driving all tiguan 2 models proven that all 4wd new Tiguan 2 are affected regardless 132tsi or 162tsi (higline and rline) some have more and some less but noise is there and this is issue and not acceptable for new car costing 50k - 60k , only 1.4 tsi 2wd are not 100% affected with this problem noise less and smoothness perfect! So all pointing problem is somewhere from Automatic transmission to rear deferential . Put car in eco mode (best way to test as engine has less rpm ) dont use Eco in indvidual menu but directly as Eco directly use costing function ( but Eco in individual menu not using it )which more activate and deactivate clutches ,close the windows sunroof,switch off radio fan, drive alone in quiet street nigh time after 12 when no traffic so you can isolate all external noise and concentrate to inside car noise, find street with lots of humps and roundabout where you need to constantly slow down and drive slowly up to 40km ,once you notice this noise you will always after hear it even during day time and in louder environment , if you dont notice rattle clicking noise than sorry but problem is with hearing( no offence to anyone) or you have 100 % perfect tiguan which i doubt after i tested at least 10 4wd new tiguans and all have issue noted above, some have more and some less noise
Kind Regards

Hillbilly
07-12-2017, 08:24 PM
Turn the radio up and stop worrying I had a Hillman Avenger once that had more whirs, knocks and rattles than you could count and it was the best little car I ever owned. Sold it to a wrecker in the end and they drove it for months as the shop hack it went so well.

There is such a thing as worrying too much. All mechanical things have noises.

Justice
07-12-2017, 08:49 PM
Turn the radio up and stop worrying I had a Hillman Avenger once that had more whirs, knocks and rattles than you could count and it was the best little car I ever owned. Sold it to a wrecker in the end and they drove it for months as the shop hack it went so well.

I bet you didnt pay $60,000 for your Hillman Avenger?....and 1970's tech no wonder there was so many knocks and rattles!

spacemannz
07-12-2017, 08:53 PM

I totally agree.
Listening out for problems is a hard habit to quit... I wonder if I need therapy.

Justice
07-12-2017, 09:01 PM
Hi sorry to all was overseas didn't have time to reply, this is continue from other thread on request from user Justice we will continue here discussion
Justice is right to be upset as recording audio on mobile phone with poor audio microphone is just not enough even I cant hear those noise from audio but having same issue I tottaly understand why he is upset, to catch all this clunking clicking rattle noise as human ears works differently ,you will need some professional audio recording device with multiply microphone inputs to clearly record this issue and isolate external motor and driving noises coming and mixing inside of cabin , is different driving live in car .

By my long testing driving all tiguan 2 models proven that all 4wd new Tiguan 2 are affected regardless 132tsi or 162tsi (higline and rline) some have more and some less but noise is there and this is issue and not acceptable for new car costing 50k - 60k , only 1.4 tsi 2wd are not 100% affected with this problem noise less and smoothness perfect! So all pointing problem is somewhere from Automatic transmission to rear deferential . Put car in eco mode (best way to test as engine has less rpm ) dont use Eco in indvidual menu but directly as Eco directly use costing function ( but Eco in individual menu not using it )which more activate and deactivate clutches ,close the windows sunroof,switch off radio fan, drive alone in quiet street nigh time after 12 when no traffic so you can isolate all external noise and concentrate to inside car noise, find street with lots of humps and roundabout where you need to constantly slow down and drive slowly up to 40km ,once you notice this noise you will always after hear it even during day time and in louder environment , if you dont notice rattle clicking noise than sorry but problem is with hearing( no offence to anyone) or you have 100 % perfect tiguan which i doubt after i tested at least 10 4wd new tiguans and all have issue noted above, some have more and some less noise
Kind Regards

cameleon72 if you listen to the you tube recording on a desk top computer at a higher volume you will hear the grating noise. Expand the video recording description as there are specific times noted when the noise is most prominent.

If your opinion is right there could well be a problem with the transfer box which was a possibility as mentioned by the DEKRA independent engineer I appointed. (transfer box is specific to 4 motion derivatives).

At present I am still in dispute with VW in the UK so will let you know when I know more.

cameleon72
07-12-2017, 10:43 PM
Hi Justice
For sure I can hear some noise but what I am trying to explain to others who are not familiar with isue this what you recorded and this sound when you are in car is nothing dramatic and same comparing when you hear in live while driving is much worse and more distracting at least on my car , problem is definitely somewhere in clutches from DSG to rear Differential .

I don't know if you sometime can hear when run over hump and when car jump and hit ground with wheels and if you at same time press gas pedal or brakes you will hear most this clunking rattle like something is lose like screws or some other lose metal touching metal walls , I think this is the clutch lose and hitting the walls casing , because if you jump over any big hump but not touching brake pedal or gas pedals than would be no any noise all nice and tide no rattle no clicking clucking noise ,so that's why my conclusion is more rear differential or even differential close to DSG Box .New Car with this issue like this is rubbish old truck not accepted and VW need to replace this as new car should be not completely disassembled and serviced will be never again New, DSG Box Differential issue is big dirty job time consuming once they take off repair and put back all parts always can something different accidently more go wrong, included vibration with engine and engine mounts ,they need to take apart half car basically and lots small parts included PVC cables, wires twisting mounting ,can be half broken that you even dont know till later fail and shortened manufactures life of new parts I know this from experience fixing my car, I don't want after anything happen have in my mind is because they have disassemble my brand new car to fix this issue , VW should give Buyer legal right to decide to receive new car replacement or full refund. I repeat that I have detected and reported this noise rattle clucking issue and demonstrated problems to VW Dealer next day I picked my car ;(

spacemannz
08-12-2017, 06:24 AM
@cameleon72 you should change your handle to EvelKnievil if you’re making jumps. 🤣 The suspension is so stiff, I’d expect my teeth to rattle too🤪

cameleon72
29-09-2018, 01:12 AM
You all was making fun here and trying to convince me i is normal DSG VW . but looks like Tiger73 you experience now same magic of bad VW quality build with tiguan 4wd .
When I was pointing this about last year on my brand new Tiguan wich I noticed first day this rattle / clunking sound coming somewhere bellow like Automatic DSG box / gear transfer box or differential to haldex It is like ''clunk clunk' rattle noise like something is lose inside and hitting on metal case, noticed on low speed 10-25km and when you take foot from gas paddle and put again ,even in reverse can be noticed going back and forward .
Take look this video similar problem reported user of Tiguan 2 4wd from Singapore and lots of other users in UK have reported same problem
Something is huge wrong wit 4WD on new Tiguans or at last on effected production line built .We need to put pressure on VW to resolve as this is not like they try to convince us '' normal characteristic of new DSG car'' , at least not of any my previous 4 VAG cars in my collection o cars in family .
This bellow I experience is exactly the same , and is my nightmare :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDhHWfXKqJY (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDhHWfXKqJY)
YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9fO-q9rSko) Here is well shown when he lifted car and done test in garage how engine /dsg /transfer box rattle and make clunking noise
YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKXxL-4k4vk)

4 Motion DSG Noise upon Deceleration at low speed! - Page 7 - VW Tiguan MK2 Forums (https://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1583&start=60)

cameleon72
06-10-2018, 03:38 PM
Maybe I am wrong, but I have felling that you will receive same response as me and the other owners with similar issue: sorry but nothing wrong with your car, is just 'characteristic of VW transmission drive''.
Even video I posted in back posts clearly showing defiantly is something huge wrong with 4wd clunking/ rattle issue on affected production Tiguan 2 4wd model . Even not experienced mechanic will tell you that's is not normal and is faulty!
We just need to stick together , collect and document as much information stay connected and put pressure to VW to finally issue recall for affected cars and fix this problem! Instead talking kids story to Owners using tricks and playing monkey games.

PS. I have some filling that this clunking rattle issue can be also because DSG and Engine factory mounts are maybe not suitable for this model or is just lose (missing screws) and having way to much play , it just sometime feels like DSG engine mounts are lose so it produce such a strong rattle . I checked mounts under engine plastic cover but the ones under battery didn't as nee to remove air intake complete and battery

FastMitch
06-10-2018, 09:27 PM
' , at least not of any my previous 4 VAG cars in my collection o cars in family .
This bellow I experience is exactly the same , and is my nightmare :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDhHWfXKqJY (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDhHWfXKqJY)
YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9fO-q9rSko) Here is well shown when he lifted car and done test in garage how engine /dsg /transfer box rattle and make clunking noise
YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKXxL-4k4vk)

4 Motion DSG Noise upon Deceleration at low speed! - Page 7 - VW Tiguan MK2 Forums (https://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1583&start=60)

Just watched those video's

This issue sounds awful. As the car is undriveable can you ...

Volkswagen has also undertaken to establish a ‘60-day policy’, where it will offer refunds or replacements without the need for a consumer to demonstrate a major failure, if a defect prevents a vehicle from being driveable within the first 60 days after purchase.

Volkswagen undertakes to fix consumer guarantees approach | ACCC (https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/volkswagen-undertakes-to-fix-consumer-guarantees-approach)

Transporter
07-10-2018, 09:25 AM

Volkswagen has also undertaken to establish a ‘60-day policy’, where it will offer refunds or replacements without the need for a consumer to demonstrate a major failure, if a defect prevents a vehicle from being driveable within the first 60 days after purchase.

Volkswagen undertakes to fix consumer guarantees approach | ACCC (https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/volkswagen-undertakes-to-fix-consumer-guarantees-approach)

I don’t think that his car is undriveable. :?

cameleon72
11-10-2018, 02:59 PM
Hi FastMitch

The car is purchased before 1 year now and since first day reported back to crook vw dealer but as ignorant VW Australia customer support and sales dealers are backing each others and listen big boss and are cheater and layer crooks instead to replace me car or issue refund back , they try to mock me around with this ****y tiguan 4wd dsg\ haldex drivetrain for year now! Trying to convince other and me is normal characteristics of vw . yeah right what a crap VW!
Just look videos and tell me is this normal for any car manafactured at least 20 years back! You don't need to be any expert to spot this manufactures bad quality defect product here ! And I am not the only one ,every single owner with this issue describe ""exactly with same words"" the same problem same issue across world forums with this 4wd Tiguan 2 ****y drive train with Tiguan 2 4wd models

I will repeat here again Tiguan 2 with only 2wd front drive are not affected att all with this kind issues , so it clearly pointing that VW has some sirious issues only with 4 motion drive so thats why telling kids storry thats is "normal vw characteristics" as they trying everything to hide this but again doing nothing instead to issue recall and finally fix the problem as am sure what I am tested and noticed that most new Tiguan 2 4wd have this issue.,
On some lucky 4wd tiguan 2 car this noise is less dominant with just fine clunk sound with no execive rattle and on most unlucky others as my are very heavy rattle clunking noise as seen in videos from links above and from other ppl forum posts .
Will this clunking rattle noise develope even more as time pass most likly but time will show . But following other forums acrros world I just see more and more users reporting same issues .

I will also call all Owners ( i know many of you are not registered just reading only same as i was for years) and encorouge more owners if notice this issue on they Tiguan 2 to report and write here on forums and imidietly contact VW, if is new car and under 60 days purchase my advice: if you can just use 60 days new lemon law and ask for full refund! don't look any other option! It will not go away or settle down byself if Dealer told you and this is not definetly vw characteristics , it can be just worse this rattle and clunking is no good!
As we have more people reporting this issue will be more pressure for VW to fix the problem! Seating and waiting to someone else fix issue will not help anyone and will make more damage to our cars!
If i know before about this 4wd tiguan 2 issue problem I would never ever touch or purchase Tiguan 2! Even I am VW fan and all my previous cars are vag ,nice design and good engine is not only what make car good choice! This is first time I was burned with new vw lemon car and had worst new car support ever . Now fully understand why everywhere people hate vw for reailability and bad service support reputation. I always used to fix and service my cars myself so didn't expirance bad vw layers and cheaters crook team service department.

So FastMitch unfortunately I think I can't use this new lemon law as is past 60 days or maybe I am wrong?

Justice
11-10-2018, 06:54 PM
It appears that this DSG noise issue/mechanical defect is not going away fast!:mad:

It appears every VAG product that is fitted with the DQ500 DSG is having the same serial problem, here is a link to a SKODA Forum regarding Kodiaq variant DSG noise issues - NOISE - Skoda Kodiaq - BRISKODA (https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/435757-noise/)

My wife's dispute relating to her 2017 Tiguan R-Line has unfortunately become a legal matter since December 2017 which she is still embroiled in as VW UK's legal team are continuing to make excuses and buy time. However they are running out of time as court proceedings will ensue shortly if they do not conclude our concerns to a satisfactory outcome.

My wife's Tiguan has been parked up in storage since August 2017 having only travelled 3,000 miles which is costing her a sizeable expense as she has to maintain HP payments, road tax, servicing and GAP insurance.

The fight for "Justice" continues!!

FastMitch
11-10-2018, 07:11 PM
Hi FastMitch

The car is purchased before 1 year now and since first day reported back to crook vw dealer but as ignorant VW Australia customer support and sales dealers are backing each others and listen big boss and are cheater and layer crooks instead to replace me car or issue refund back , they try to mock me around with this ****y tiguan 4wd dsg\ haldex drivetrain for year now! Trying to convince other and me is normal characteristics of vw . yeah right what a crap VW!
Just look videos and tell me is this normal for any car manafactured at least 20 years back! You don't need to be any expert to spot this manufactures bad quality defect product here ! And I am not the only one ,every single owner with this issue describe ""exactly with same words"" the same problem same issue across world forums with this 4wd Tiguan 2 ****y drive train with Tiguan 2 4wd models

cameleon, your best option is to commence proceedings in NCAT straight away. Cost is about $70

It will be a month before you get a hearing date, but in that time you can prepare all the correspondence you have had with VW.
Produce a timeline of events and if you can get an independent report, VW will be fighting an uphill battle in NCAT.

You should also contact the ACCC to submit a formal complaint regarding VW seeing as they just recently ordered a directive to VW to follow a strict procedure for warranty issues. The Australian Consumer Law (ACL) is quite strong for consumers.

cameleon72
13-10-2018, 03:57 PM
Hi FastMitch
That's wife already started working on that if VW keep ignoring and don't fix issue we will have no other option than to proceed.
I already colleting information and material evidence about this crooks business VW doing with VW Tiguan2 4wd faulty drivetrain clunking rattle noise .I will see also to contact John Cadogan at Auto expert. I am sure he will know how to investigate and expose this injustices VW doing to new car Tiguan 2 4wd Owners across the world with same issue. He is very familiar with other VW dodgy issues and how they play nasty unfair games to new car Owners when VW try to hide and manipulate .
If VW think that you can take someone's hard earned $50K and sell new lemon car and alter that keep ignoring and threat you as someone who purchased chewing gum worth 50 cents, and that this will be tolerated, hidden than we have huge problem here in Australia Consumer Protection Law!

The thing is I am not here just ordinary one more unlucky new owner of doggy drivetrain 4wd Tiguan 2 with factory issue . Since discovered this issue I keep all this very well documented and keep digging and researching , included all emails since first complain about issue to crook dealer and VW included pictures /videos with problem .

In recent email conversation with VW service department regarding this issue they was initially replaying, but when I sent last email showing this video with rattle clunking noise , asking them in just simple short answer if is this what they saw in video is '' normal VW characteristic of VW drive train'' to answer with Yes or No . They immediately stop replying on email conversation but instead asking dealer to call me back! This all show when you have clear evidence of problem they using manipulation and tricks so you cant use against them .

But as I said show this video to any mechanic and they will tell you is not normal but fault! When I try again to call and ask why they stopped email conversation and why they dont reply on simple question? They try making all sort excuse to avoid single question of proof , but instead advice me to bring car again to any other VW Dealer service if I am not happy with the Dealer . But I know what will happen. Any VW official Dealer service have same instructions from VW Australia to tell you ''that is normal characteristic and nothing wrong'' Same as they told all other owners with same issues across world.

This is all same very well know Ping Pong tactic VW use to trick you in start to give up and live with lemon car as is normal. When I asked over phone will they cover cost of independent Mechanic diagnose, NO NO please don't go we will not cover or accept they report , just choice any of ''our VW official Dealer Services'' they will care about you . Yeh right! Same as they care about me since beginning of issues in last year. They didn't even detected Factory transfer bevel gear box leak which i discovered myself but car was there 2x times before! When you showing them rattle noise they pulling head on side pretending is normal nothing wrong, every car have this ...

There is no Man on planet or in VW which can convince me this is normal, as car rattle and clonking same as 20 tone MAC truck not modern SUV which suppose to be car of the year!

User Justice from UK tiguan2 forum post above is just one more unlucky Tiguan 2 4wd Owner which having similar issue since car new . He also doing great job there on North side of Planet , writing and pointing problems to other on forums and he fully understand what is this nightmare and experience when receiving faulty new car and dealing with VW crook service department .Instead VW issue recall and fixing and resolving affected cars they manipulate and hide things .

But every day will be more and more evidence here and other forums that is something wrong with 4motion Drive on tiguan 2 and hope VW will have to pay for this and not just fixing cars but also paying for people wasted time fighting for rights and suffering dealing with new faulty car instead enjoying new car.

Have you ever wonder why USA VW users have received Tiguan 2 with brand new 8speed automatic transmission instead risky problematic DSG ? The simple reason they are scare of any more problems and recall and Money lose. In USA you cant joke with costumers as they are protected!

FastMitch
13-10-2018, 08:05 PM
Have you ever wonder why USA VW users have received Tiguan 2 with brand new 8speed automatic transmission instead risky problematic DSG ? The simple reason they are scare of any more problems and recall and Money lose. In USA you cant joke with costumers as they are protected!

You are right about the USA.

Tiguan's there are sold with 8 SP Auto instead of the flaky DSG for a reason.

VW just paid out $7.4 Billion dollars (US) from the Diesel-gate scandal, the last thing they need in the USA is a scandal on failures from the DSG.

Watch the VW graveyard: YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BPrp7PBY3k)

Ozsko
13-10-2018, 09:19 PM
There are a lot of complaints about the 8 speed ZF in the US cars as well.

cameleon72
13-10-2018, 11:08 PM
Yes Fastmitch that's what I was thinking , uncle Sam hit Germans very heavy for playing Monkey games for USA VW car owners and one more heavy scandal and penalty could be catastrophic for VW.

Hi Ozsko
I was wondering whole time what's going one with Made in Mexico 8 speed Auto for USA Canada Tiguan 2 FWD models If they are also affected with same issue . As I didn't yet find any USA Owners complaining about this issue.
I know Sale started latest in USA /Canada for Tiguan 2 models and market is maybe not so popular yet and limited quantity sold as in EU and ROW . Can you please post here link with USA Owners complains same rattle/clunking so I can follow.
IF is that true they have also this exact issue than this is could be 100% problem in VW Tiguan 4motion '70kg most compact and lightest in class 4wd drivetrain system'' and DSG or Automatic transmission could not be related , which is on someway positive as DSG transmission is biggest job and most complex in repair and cost. As I said before I will take in account also that this issue could be very well connected to Engine and transmission mount factory not enough tested and suitable for Tiguan 4 motion on Tiguan 2 and this can also case this heavy Rattle clunking noise. Would not even be surprise if VW forget some mounts screws are missing or are not torqued enough . Will see maybe tomorrow to remove complete air intake plastics duct and Battery with mount holder to inspect transmission mount on left side which is most suspicious holding heavy DSG and Bevel box , on the bottom mount I already checked and didn't find any lose or missing, According to Elsawin schematic even under transmission mount there should be one more hidden screws for transmission down mount support , which will be not easy to check looking Elsa but maybe just picture is bit confusing .

Ozsko
14-10-2018, 07:50 PM
Not the same specific issue with the ZF, but other issues which surprises me considering the number of different cars it is fitted to unless it isn't the same transmission. Best of luck with it because I doubt you will get anywhere, venting on a forum might make us all feel better when we have a problem but it will have zero impact with VW.

SEZMO
13-01-2019, 07:04 PM
Another owner here, Tiguan mk2 162 with transmission issues since day one. Downshifts from 4th to 3rd and 3rd to 2nd often are accompanied by a loud audible bang and palpable jolt from the transmission. Gear lash is also terrible. The local dealer has been good and the mechatronics and transmission were apparently changed... but the exact same issue persists. It is so bad that we have decided to change the car. VW have denied any further responsibility for the problem saying it is a characteristic. In every other way the Tig is a perfect car, practical, good looking, fantastic features but it has been an extremely frustrating ownership experience.

My next step is an independent engineer report and fair trading. I think the case will be strong as I have driven 2 other Tiguan 162 cars and the gearshifts were silent and smooth.

LJ1981
13-01-2019, 08:33 PM
I was just reading trough this post, I’m picking my Tiguan 162 R-line this coming week, I was under impression that DQ500 was the best there is in DSG world, are similar problems detected in Audi RS models or is it only Tiguan specific issue

FastMitch
13-01-2019, 09:59 PM
Another owner here, Tiguan mk2 162 with transmission issues since day one. Downshifts from 4th to 3rd and 3rd to 2nd often are accompanied by a loud audible bang and palpable jolt from the transmission. Gear lash is also terrible. The local dealer has been good and the mechatronics and transmission were apparently changed... but the exact same issue persists. It is so bad that we have decided to change the car. VW have denied any further responsibility for the problem saying it is a characteristic. In every other way the Tig is a perfect car, practical, good looking, fantastic features but it has been an extremely frustrating ownership experience.

My next step is an independent engineer report and fair trading. I think the case will be strong as I have driven 2 other Tiguan 162 cars and the gearshifts were silent and smooth.

Sezmo that's bad to hear the DSG transmission is giving you issues

Are you able to provide a video of the loud bang and gear lash ?

Dgf10
23-07-2019, 06:51 PM
Hi

I have a 2018 162tsi, all these cars worldwide have this problem. I have tested 4 in the same age group and all have this. Mine has been back 3 times and now they are saying its a warped flywheel.. its a cop out and complete disaster. The car has 10,000klm on it and it started from new. I am going to sell my car and never purchase a VW again. This is my 3rd Tiguan, never again. We should be entitled to a full refund under Consumer law which i will pursue if noise occurs after an apparent flywheel replacement.. what a joke..good luck.. VW are a disgrace to the motor industry.

Hole46
23-07-2019, 08:06 PM
Hi

I have a 2018 162tsi, all these cars worldwide have this problem. I have tested 4 in the same age group and all have this. Mine has been back 3 times and now they are saying its a warped flywheel.. its a cop out and complete disaster. The car has 10,000klm on it and it started from new. I am going to sell my car and never purchase a VW again. This is my 3rd Tiguan, never again. We should be entitled to a full refund under Consumer law which i will pursue if noise occurs after an apparent flywheel replacement.. what a joke..good luck.. VW are a disgrace to the motor industry.

All these cars worldwide have this problem? Mine doesn’t. I haven’t heard of any others either. Sounds like trolling to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

phonebooth
23-07-2019, 09:28 PM
Mine has been fine so far as well. A little jerky from 1st to 2nd on a cold morning under slow acceleration & reversing up a slope tapping the accelerator. I understand this to be normal on a DSG.

Simonr23
24-07-2019, 07:42 AM
I have the reverse, my gearbox holds 1st for too long, then slurs/slips the gear changes (1st-2nd and a bit 2nd-3rd) most of the time. Can’t be good for the clutches.

REXman
31-07-2019, 03:07 PM
My one chatters alot too.. no where near what the old golf r one did. I think the clutch packs are ok but the mechatronics unit must be recycled ones from the mk6s.

Justice
18-10-2019, 12:00 AM
There are a lot of complaints about the 8 speed ZF in the US cars as well.

The US Tiguan uses an Aisin 8 Speed auto gearbox as fitted to BMW X1

The same here with my Wife's UK Tiguan R-Line 190 DSG. She is at the moment embroiled in a legal dispute with VW which has been ongoing since December 2017. The legal battle continues!

Hi

Partially agree with your statement. However, not ALL DSG Tiguans exibit the noise issue, hence the reason so many owners are complaining. The DSG noise issue is known to exist across the world markets and VW know it is a inherent DSG defect but have declined to confirm why the noise issue exists on some vehicles and not others. VW are determined to avoid costly recalls or compensation claims by hiding behind the commonly used phrase "Characteristic"!!

All these cars worldwide have this problem? Mine doesn’t. I haven’t heard of any others either. Sounds like trolling to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do some research on Google and YouTube and you will discover how many owners have the DQ500 DSG noise problem!

Here are some links for starters -;

4 Motion DSG Noise upon Deceleration at low speed! - VW Tiguan MK2 Forums (https://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1583)

YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=O96j_x9M3fk)

noise - Skoda Kodiaq Forum (https://www.kodiaqforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=836)

NOISE - Skoda Kodiaq - BRISKODA (https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/435757-noise/)

Noise from front end - Audi Q3 Forums (https://www.q3ownersclub.co.uk/forum/17-technical-faults/1365-noise-front-end.html)

https://www.a1-forum.co.uk/a1forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3626&start=90

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53McNCMBunY

cameleon72
18-10-2019, 09:29 PM
VW DSG => Die -Slowly- Good Luck! ;-)
Volkswagen recalls more than 60,000 vehicles (https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/volkswagen-recalls-more-than-60000-vehicles/ar-AAISVOS)
''More than 60,000 Volkswagen and Skoda vehicles have been pulled off Australian roads after the German auto manufacturer discovered a potentially dangerous gearbox fault.''

Ironman87
07-12-2019, 08:19 PM
I wish I had seen this thread a few months ago....I am another (now former) 162tsi owner. Within first 3000kms (amongst a range of other warranty issues) I had major dsg problems- all sorts of clunks, grinds and noises. VW wiped their hands of it- originally admitted there were issues but when they couldn't fix it after multiple attempts they backtracked and kept saying its "normal characteristics", so many visits to the service centre and false promises. Have just disposed of the car- happiest day of my life. My first and last VW.

Justice
11-02-2020, 08:41 AM
It appears that the noise problem in Europe has gained momentum now there are decent numbers of Tiguan's and Skoda Kodiaks out in the field.

How much longer can VW deny a problem exists with their DQ500 DSG as fitted to the aforementioned vehicles?

According to the links below the DSG noise has been recognised and aparently service bulletins issued relating to software updates and gearbox mounts but those who have had software updates and gearbox mounts replaced have reported zero or minimal satisfaction.

https://www.skoda-kodiaq-forum.de/index ... /&pageNo=1 (https://www.skoda-kodiaq-forum.de/index.php?thread/620-dsg-ger%C3%A4usche/&pageNo=1)

https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/losraed ... 55632.html (https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/losraederrasseln-dsg-t5955632.html)

It is obvious to see that VW are doing nothing to address customer concerns but clearly attempting to avoid costly warranty costs relating to this debacle!

vdubbed12
25-06-2020, 09:42 AM

So have you eventually found out what the cause of this noise is? Mine’s MY20 Allspace and I’ve only driven 330km so far. The day I picked up the car and driving home I noticed a bit of soft refrigerator type of noise like when the air conditioner starts working. I only heard it when I was driving into my street from a main road where it’s relatively quiet during the day - I didn’t notice it at all in my 45km drive from dealership on main roads.

It’s very hard to tell if I’m hearing the same noise from the video as it seems more metallic to me in the background but I only hear it whenever I step on the accelerator at low speeds initially in D1-D3 mainly but now even after a school drop off in the traffic I can hear it in D5-D7 at 2000rpm as soon as accelerator is pressed - I guess it fades away at a higher rpm due to engine noise. Even feathering the accelerator can reproduce the beginning of this noise. At 330km on mine I wouldn’t describe it as harsh metallic type of noise but it sounded like the above like air conditioner’s refrigerating system kicking in - that was my first impression.

I’ve been driving MK6 GTI for 9 years now and have gone through different things with the car including wastegate rattle at the very beginning of ownership which the selling dealership never admitted the noise and I had to get the clip installed at a different dealership in the end. Maybe people are describing this noise as grinding/grating, ?rattling but not like the rice in a can type of rattle as in the case of wastegate rattle. I feel now that I keep looking up this stuff it’s trying to convince me maybe it’s the soft grating noise lol

I tried to record it this morning in traffic after dropping off my kid and I just hear a lot of turbo whine on the recorded video but not as prominent noise I normally hear in person. It does sound most prominently at the beginning of accelerating. Did yours get louder over time?

Funny my dealer gave me a courtesy call on the day of pickup and his immediate response was it might be the humming noise from 4 Motion’s rear diff. That makes me wonder if it’s a widely known issue and complaints have been reported.

Also this car makes a lot more of ticking or clicking noise when downshifting than my MK6 GTI. Could be because the car is quieter than the GTI...

Hillbilly
25-06-2020, 10:54 AM
To go back to the original post moaning about the service time and other things.

It is set at the factory as 365 days from build date and predelivery is supposed to reset it on sale date.. Mine wasnt so I just got them to redo it..
Hardly a major problem

However as has been said before the oil has been sitting in the engine since it was built so maybe 12 months from then is not stupid

vdubbed12
25-06-2020, 11:04 AM
Sorry I thought this thread was about the noise coming from DSG and/or 4 Motion. The grating or grinding noise as described by OP or the poster from UK.

vdubbed12
25-06-2020, 11:05 AM
Btw mine’s Jan 2020 Build with June Compliance dated.

Hillbilly
25-06-2020, 11:38 AM
Sorry I thought this thread was about the noise coming from DSG and/or 4 Motion. The grating or grinding noise as described by OP or the poster from UK.

Read third paragraph in original post then

Hillbilly
25-06-2020, 11:39 AM
Btw mine’s Jan 2020 Build with June Compliance dated.

So how many days till service

vdubbed12
25-06-2020, 01:24 PM

He looks like he had a bit of unsatisfying experience with the dealer among other things. My dealer has been good and those little things don’t bother me as it should be easily reset. To be honest I haven’t even checked when my service interval is set. I noticed though the time and date were not set in the infortainment unit as well as other little things which I’m not too fussed with.

vdubbed12
25-06-2020, 01:32 PM
So how many days till service

just had a look.

Hillbilly
25-06-2020, 01:45 PM
just had a look.

So it was new 13 days ago so must have been reset at dealers if was complianced recently. His and mine werent

Always pays to read thread before chipping posters

I replied because I had just read the thread and no one had provided the explanation

vdubbed12
25-06-2020, 01:48 PM
Yeah they must have. :) I was just interested in the noise that the op was mentioning and the poster from UK. I guess theirs must have been really loud and irritating.

vdubbed12
25-06-2020, 02:24 PM
So it was new 13 days ago so must have been reset at dealers if was complianced recently. His and mine werent

Always pays to read thread before chipping posters

I replied because I had just read the thread and no one had provided the explanation

No worries, thanks for the reply. :) I read every post in this thread and looked at the title of the thread as well as the first paragraph describing the possible DSG issues as the main issue which I was interested in and have replied to the UK poster by quoting his post. I’m not interested in other little things.

vdubbed12
25-06-2020, 03:14 PM

Sorry Hillbilly, I just re-read your post. My bad, I misunderstood your post. You were just providing the info on service date reset etc. Nothing related to my original post.

Hillbilly
25-06-2020, 03:19 PM
Sorry Hillbilly, I just re-read your post. My bad, I misunderstood your post. You were just providing the info on service date reset etc. Nothing related to my original post.

If a reply hasnt got a prev reply quoted as like this its a reply to the OP as was mine and the thread is 3 years old as well

Cameleon has probably changed colours and bought a Peugeot or something since then as it seems he has an aversion to VW ROFL

Justice
30-06-2020, 01:10 AM
No worries, thanks for the reply. :) I read every post in this thread and looked at the title of the thread as well as the first paragraph describing the possible DSG issues as the main issue which I was interested in and have replied to the UK poster by quoting his post. I’m not interested in other little things.

vdubbed12 did you receive my private message?

vdubbed12
30-06-2020, 11:12 AM
vdubbed12 did you receive my private message?

Hi Justice, I’ve just PM’ed you.

cameleon72
11-07-2020, 10:55 PM
No worry's I am still around with shi..y crapy VW most arrogant company car. Now is heading to Tribunal court and request for car replacement. This is what should happen to your Tiguan soon and you will be looking for something else:) because of master peace of clunking fragile DSG crap built in Tiguan .Which even VW cant fix, or don't want to fix ! Jas - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS3UP10j5ELJWI2cUdB_X6w/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=0) Enjoy sound of silent DSG ****ing and worst reliability! ;-)

Justice
24-10-2020, 01:26 AM
Well after 3 years and 6 months justice has finally been served on Volkswagen! A legally binding decision by the Financial Ombudsman has upheld my wife's dispute with VWFS.

This was not where my wife wanted to be having ordered her Tiguan in good faith in October 2016 before taking delivery on 3 March 2017. The attitude of the dealer, VW and VWFS combined was to ignore my wife's genuine concerns, baffle her with claims of 'normal characteristic' and to frustrate her with delay after delay after delay, whilst the Motor Ombudsman, our legal representatives and the Financial Ombudsman attempted to obtain relevant information.

On 16 September 2020 the Financial Ombudsman in her 7 page report confirmed that "Mrs W’s car was not of satisfactory quality"! The FO also stated "My overall impression is that these noises do not appear to be in line with what a reasonable person might expect from a car of this price and description" - "I think Mrs W should now be allowed her final right to reject the car"
The full 7 page report will be available on the Financial Ombudsmans Website in due course.

Relief is an understatement, we are elated! After 3 years and 6 months we can now finally move on with our lives. It gives us tremendous pleasure knowing that the 'little man' on the street won a dispute against a large car corporation who knew they were wrong in the first instance but they continued to heap financial stress, mental distress and great inconvenience upon us for daring to take them on! This decsion also proves that our concerns with the noise issue that is affecting many Tiguans is not acceptable.

I sincerely hope all other Tiguan owners who have encountered a similar issues or experience with Volkswagen or any other car manufacturer draw the strength to take these car corporations on and get the justice you deserve!

I think its fair comment to say that we will never be purchasing another VAG car in the future after this regretable experience!

FastMitch
24-10-2020, 08:26 AM
Well after 3 years and 6 months justice has finally been served on Volkswagen! A legally binding decision by the Financial Ombudsman has upheld my wife's dispute with VWFS.

That is a great achievement. Congratulations with sticking with the process and getting the right outcome. I expect dealers act like this because they know from experience 90% of people do not take it further than a complaint.

Why did you need to go to the Financial Ombudsman instead of VCAT under the Australian Consumer Law ?

This was not where my wife wanted to be having ordered her Tiguan in good faith in October 2016 before taking delivery on 3 March 2017. The attitude of the dealer, VW and VWFS combined was to ignore my wife's genuine concerns, baffle her with claims of 'normal characteristic' and to frustrate her with delay after delay after delay, whilst the Motor Ombudsman, our legal representatives and the Financial Ombudsman attempted to obtain relevant information.

Which wank of a dealer was it ?

tigger73
24-10-2020, 12:42 PM

I think its fair comment to say that we will never be purchasing another VAG car in the future after this regretable experience!

Good to hear that you finally got an outcome. Hopefully it also covers all the time and cost you incurred and for all your pain and suffering / lack of enjoyment for something that should have been a good experience.

Did you end up getting to the bottom of what the issue actually was? And did the noise get any better/worse over time? Did anyone dump the transmission oil and check for "glitter" as it certainly sounded like there was a failing bearing or metal/metal contact somewhere in the driveline.

Understandable how you'd gone through the wringer that you're not that keen to purchase another one. It's a shame that you came up against both a dealer and warranty department that was unwilling to rectify the issue which clearly was impacting on your enjoyment of the vehicle.

tigger73
24-10-2020, 12:44 PM
Why did you need to go to the Financial Ombudsman instead of VCAT under the Australian Consumer Law ?

That's because user Justice is in the UK so they would have different consumer bodies and laws that they would have to go through over there compared to Australia.

FastMitch
24-10-2020, 02:44 PM
That's because user Justice is in the UK so they would have different consumer bodies and laws that they would have to go through over there compared to Australia.

Ahh I missed that this was a UK based issue. As this is an Oz website I assumed it was local.

tigger73
24-10-2020, 04:02 PM
Ahh I missed that this was a UK based issue. As this is an Oz website I assumed it was local.

Still a ****ty thing to go through but fortunately not a local dealer or VW Australia.

I think ACCC is a bit better/quicker at resolving these types of issues rather than taking 3 years (poor guy).

Justice
25-10-2020, 01:28 AM
That is a great achievement. Congratulations with sticking with the process and getting the right outcome. I expect dealers act like this because they know from experience 90% of people do not take it further than a complaint.

Thanks for your support;).....and i am in total agreement of your statement. It is well known that if dealers and manufacturers frustrate you enough the customer will walk away and give up!

I live in the UK so I'm guessing correctly that our consumer laws are different with Australian ones.

The dealer was a large dealer group in the UK "Listers"

Good to hear that you finally got an outcome. Hopefully it also covers all the time and cost you incurred and for all your pain and suffering / lack of enjoyment for something that should have been a good experience.

Did you end up getting to the bottom of what the issue actually was? And did the noise get any better/worse over time? Did anyone dump the transmission oil and check for "glitter" as it certainly sounded like there was a failing bearing or metal/metal contact somewhere in the driveline.

Understandable how you'd gone through the wringer that you're not that keen to purchase another one. It's a shame that you came up against both a dealer and warranty department that was unwilling to rectify the issue which clearly was impacting on your enjoyment of the vehicle.

Cheers mate for the kind words;)

My wife has been compensated as per the Financial Ombudsmans decision which puts her back in a better position financially than at the time of purchase. She will also receive compensation and interest of 8% on all moneys she has paid including her deposit, finance payments plus accessories, insurance premiums, road tax, GAP insurance and independent engineer costs.

Unfortunately, we did never get to the cause of the noise problem as Volkswagen were not engaging to do so, although my wife's legal representatives did suggest analasis of the DSG oil for swarf contamination should it be required. I have followed a number of VAG forums and one in particular that appears to have a high report of noise problems appears to be the Skoda forums. One forum member posted most recently on 03 October 2020 appears to have solved the problem, LINK -;Grinding noise - Page 3 - Skoda Kodiaq - BRISKODA (https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/453532-grinding-noise/page/3/).

Regarding our decision not to purchase another VAG product is more to do with the manner in which my wife has been treated by Volkswagen, VWFS and the selling dealer. Although, I have to mention that the Tiguan is the second successive VW we have owned with has had major DSG issues, the first was a 2014 Mk7 Golf GTD which had a replacement DSG at 8,000 miles. The noise issue is a very common customer complaint across europe and beyond and VW have failed to adress the problem with any commitment or vigour. I have a very good knowledge and experience of BMW and so my wife is considering an X3 M40d/X5 3.0d or a M340i Touring with a 'ZF' gearbox.

I trust my wife's Tiguan will be up for sale on a dealer forecourt soon, and no doubt sold at a good price given the desirable specification, very low mileage and used car sales boom which has seen secondhand values rise significantly in the UK because of Covid19. All told I believe VW will have lost nothing financially with this dispute but it remains if my wife's success will set a prescedent with other Tiguan owners who find themselves in this most unfortunate situation my wife was in.

Once again thanks for your interest.

tigger73
25-10-2020, 09:01 AM
Unfortunately, we did never get to the cause of the noise problem as Volkswagen were not engaging to do so, although my wife's legal representatives did suggest analasis of the DSG oil for swarf contamination should it be required. I have followed a number of VAG forums and one in particular that appears to have a high report of noise problems appears to be the Skoda forums. One forum member posted most recently on 03 October 2020 appears to have solved the problem, LINK -;Grinding noise - Page 3 - Skoda Kodiaq - BRISKODA (https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/453532-grinding-noise/page/3/).

Makes sense if the DSG mounts are bad that the noise gets transferred and amplified through the chassis.

Once again thanks for your interest.

Thanks for coming back and filling us in on how you went. So often people come here posting a problem but never come back to complete the story once the issue has been resolved. Then later when people are searching for same/similar issues they end up with only part of the story and no conclusion/outcome.

FastMitch
25-10-2020, 10:56 AM
I have followed a number of VAG forums and one in particular that appears to have a high report of noise problems appears to be the Skoda forums. One forum member posted most recently on 03 October 2020 appears to have solved the problem, LINK -;Grinding noise - Page 3 - Skoda Kodiaq - BRISKODA (https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/453532-grinding-noise/page/3/).

Sounds like I need to stay away from the Czech made Skoda.

Does Skoda SUV use a cheaper / different DSG than the VW Tiguan ?

tigger73
25-10-2020, 03:00 PM
Sounds like I need to stay away from the Czech made Skoda.

Does Skoda SUV use a cheaper / different DSG than the VW Tiguan ?

All come from the same factory. Basically the Kodiaq and Tiguan have the same motor/drivetrain options (except Kodiaq RS has the 176TDI and Tig gets petrol 162TSI as top of line model). Same with the Karoq and T-Roc both have 140TSI and 1.4litre 110TSI.

I beleive the Kodiaq gets the DQ500 (same as Tiguan) and the Karoq/T-Roc get the DQ381 7 speed whilst the 110TSI has an 8 speed Aisin(?) auto.

Dutch77
25-10-2020, 05:09 PM
I thought in recent times the Czech made Skoda stuff was outperforming the other factories (even without my personal bias).

Hearing about DQ500 issues in regularly serviced transmissions is what concerns me so much about Audi's attitude towards the same gearbox in the RS4 B8.. and why I'm going in a different direction.

FastMitch
25-10-2020, 06:30 PM
What type of 7spd DSG gearbox does the Kamiq 1.0 TSI (85 kW) have ?

tigger73
25-10-2020, 09:20 PM
What type of 7spd DSG gearbox does the Kamiq 1.0 TSI (85 kW) have ?

Pretty sure it's the DQ200 dry 7 speed - same as lower end Golf/Polo.

tigger73
25-10-2020, 09:24 PM
I thought in recent times the Czech made Skoda stuff was outperforming the other factories (even without my personal bias).

Hearing about DQ500 issues in regularly serviced transmissions is what concerns me so much about Audi's attitude towards the same gearbox in the RS4 B8.. and why I'm going in a different direction.

The DQ500 in the first Gen Tiguan and cars from 2010-2016 were pretty bulletproof. It's only some gearboxes in 2017 there were some issues and I believe it's related to a certain batch/period of production. At least I'm hoping that's the case and they haven't reduced the quality/cheapened it/driven down costs and caused reliability issues.

iampivot
03-11-2021, 10:41 AM
Posted about my Tiguan DSG issue here: DSG Transmission (https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f238/dsg-transmission-125839-post1332891.html#post1332891)