PDA

View Full Version : USB Power For Phone

Ozsko
05-06-2017, 10:04 PM
My phone lives in the car along with my Kindle, they never leave it and I got sick and tired of cables running out of front 12V outlet to keep them charged. I had a bit of a think about the problem and in the end I took the rear passenger information display and 12V outlet off the back of the console and patched into the back of the 12V outlet using a Jaycar 12V outlet, plugged a USB power adaptor into that and it all got hidden when the display was put back together. The wires from the outlet run into the centre console box through a hole I drilled in the floor of the console box under the arm rest. I know it might be a bit OCD but the wires and where to put everything used to drive me mad.

kacak
05-06-2017, 11:18 PM
Any photos of the finished work?

Ozsko
05-06-2017, 11:27 PM
I have never worked out how to post photos on this forum unfortunately, all the instructions don't seem to work though on other fora I have no issues at all. If someone can point to instructions that work I will post some but all you can see is two USB leads coming out of the floor of the box and with the lid closed nothing at all can be seen which was the aim of it all.

TIGER+IGUANA
05-06-2017, 11:38 PM
I have never worked out how to post photos on this forum unfortunately, all the instructions don't seem to work though on other fora I have no issues at all. If someone can point to instructions that work I will post some but all you can see is two USB leads coming out of the floor of the box and with the lid closed nothing at all can be seen which was the aim of it all.

Yep true, the websites tricky. Recommend downloading an app called Tapatalk. Search for the forum. Easiest way to post comments and upload photos direct from your phone. Also lets you save your favourite threads onto the home screen. Very handy. Be keen to see a pic too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozsko
05-06-2017, 11:52 PM
My mobile phone doesn't have a data connection so that's out. I just don't know why this forum has to be so difficult and every other V Bulletin forum is dead easy. All help in this regard would be appreciated.

Gladbach
06-06-2017, 02:35 AM
It's really easy with a desktop browser. Just click on the little picture button and you can choose to either point to a URL or choose a pic from your computer.

Ozsko
06-06-2017, 09:49 AM
I'll give it another go as that is the way it should work but the last time I tried it that method did not work.

Hillbilly
06-06-2017, 12:44 PM
" Quote My phone lives in the car along with my Kindle, they never leave it"

Where do you park your car I need a Kindle and a new phone LOL

Ozsko
06-06-2017, 01:33 PM
The phone I got for nothing and the kindle has a password on it so no problem. :) As far as I am concerned I wouldn't shed a tear if the phone disappeared as I never use it and never get calls on it. When I retired from my job where I carried three of the damned things I swore off using them forever unless I absolutely had to so it lives in my car for emergencies only.

The_Hawk
06-06-2017, 03:20 PM
Image hosting through the forums has always been questionable at best. It doesn't work at all for some people for no apparent reason, but works fine for others. Other sites I visit tend to use other 3rd party solutions or plugins to get the job done with varying degrees of success/integration. Every now and again I look into different options...

There is actually one in the works at the moment which is getting close... but isn't quite there yet.

On a side note. I'm also a little anal about these things and have wired in hard mounted phone mounts as well as power for dash cams in both my VW's.

Ozsko
06-06-2017, 04:01 PM
Hopefully photos will appear in this post...

29550 29551 29552

And all is hidden when the lid is closed.

bendor
06-06-2017, 06:04 PM
Hopefully photos will appear in this post...

29550 29551 29552

And all is hidden when the lid is closed.

Clever idea and well executed, do I take it that behind the rear 12v flap there is just an empty hole now?

Ozsko
06-06-2017, 06:36 PM
No, the original 12 Volt outlet is still there and works. What I did was buy another 12V outlet from Jaycar and spliced into the original wiring and plugged into the Jaycar outlet a twin USB charger. All that got shoved under the box when the covers got put back on. I was originally going to run it from the front outlet but when I got into the car to pull it apart the light dawned that the rear one existed, some people are thicker than others! I did think of putting an outlet in the wall of the box but decided simple was best.

Ozsko
06-06-2017, 11:07 PM
And then there was this I only just discovered....https://www.amazon.co.uk/Armrest-Storage-Partitions-Tiguan-Generation/dp/B06XGKZG71

Dave9_3
29-07-2017, 12:14 AM
Clever idea and well executed, do I take it that behind the rear 12v flap there is just an empty hole now?
Did something similar in my car.

Installed an additional two USB charging points in the central cubby. Like yours, they are powered from a feed from the 12v outlet at the back of the centre console.

Made a small box to install it in out of plasticard, covered with black velour fablon. I also bought a top tray (from China). I took out the rubber mats that came with it, and replaced this with more velor299152991629917 fablon, which I think looks better than the mats which came with the top tray. Top tray came with a cut out to allow the charging through.

Means I can now charge my phone etc out of sight and not cluttering up the front storage space.

Dave9_3
30-07-2017, 09:39 PM
Installed an additional two USB charging points in the central cubby. They are powered from a feed from the 12v outlet at the back of the centre console.

Here's what I did with mine.

Made a small box to install it in out of plasticard, covered with black velor fablon. I also bought a top tray (from China). I took out the rubber mats that came with it, and replaced this with more velor fablon, which I think looks better than the mats which came with the top tray. Top tray came with a cut out to allow the charging through.

Means I can now charge my phone etc out of sight and not cluttering up the front storage space.

Ozsko
30-07-2017, 09:59 PM
Looks good, my phone (S4) is too long to go into the top tray but that doesn't matter as it never gets used. What is a trap is that the power turns off to the rear power outlet when the car is parked so if the car has not been used for some days the phone goes flat. I have been crook over the last few months and the car might sit for a week without moving and when the phone wouldn't log on to the BT I worked out why.

Dave9_3
31-07-2017, 04:04 AM
It is possible to make the power outlets permanently live. If you look at the attached drawing of the fuse panel, which is behind the glove box, fuse F40 is the one that supplies the cigarette lighter sockets/ power outlets.

With F40 shown in the drawing position, it only supplies power when the ignition is on. If you pull it out and move it up one slot so that it is in line with fuses 38, 39, 41 and 42, it is live at all times. Assume this layout will be the same in Australia as it. Is here in the U.K.

Whilst this would stop your phone from dying, it's probably not advisable as there's a chance a period of non use of the car could result in the car battery becoming depleted and the car not starting.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/filephpid1663-1.jpg

The_Hawk
31-07-2017, 09:27 AM
Whilst this would stop your phone from dying, it's probably not advisable as there's a chance a period of non use of the car could result in the car battery becoming depleted and the car not starting.

The name escapes me right now, but there is a box you can plug in to stop this from happening, basically it cuts power when the battery level gets below a certain point. It's usually used when installing a dash cam that has a parking mode that stays on permanently.... if you're looking for a DIY, one of those + a dash cam will give you something to do :D

TheTig
31-07-2017, 09:42 AM
The name escapes me right now, but there is a box you can plug in to stop this from happening, basically it cuts power when the battery level gets below a certain point. It's usually used when installing a dash cam that has a parking mode that stays on permanently.... if you're looking for a DIY, one of those + a dash cam will give you something to do :D

One of these monitors the battery and cuts off supply - Power Magic Pro (PMP) - BlackVue (https://www.blackvue.com/power-magic-pro/)

Hillbilly
31-07-2017, 09:54 AM
One of these monitors the battery and cuts off supply - Power Magic Pro (PMP) - BlackVue (https://www.blackvue.com/power-magic-pro/)And one of theses may be even better

BlackVue Power Magic Battery Pack (B-112) - Parking Mode Made Easy (https://www.blackvue.com/power-magic-battery-pack/)

Ozsko
31-07-2017, 11:24 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions, it is not much of a problem for me but for others it would be though they are less likely to not leave their phone in the car as I do. The only issue I strike is if the battery fully discharges I have to remember to turn it on or the battery gets recharged and the phone is not logged on to BT, again not too much of an issue for me but it would annoy everyone else so this is just a heads up so to speak.

Dave9_3
31-07-2017, 06:07 PM
One of these monitors the battery and cuts off supply - Power Magic Pro (PMP) - BlackVue (https://www.blackvue.com/power-magic-pro/)

Yes I am looking into installing a blackvue 2 channel dash cam and had already thought one of these would be a good idea. They are reasonably priced in comparison to the back up battery option but obviously the back up battery wins hands down on off charge running times.

Hillbilly
31-07-2017, 06:25 PM
Yes I am looking into installing a blackvue 2 channel dash cam and had already thought one of these would be a good idea. They are reasonably priced in comparison to the back up battery option but obviously the back up battery wins hands down on off charge running times.

If I was going to buy new cameras I would buy two Blackvue DR450 HD's a with the GPS modules.

Why Because the rear camers on the 2 Ch models are only 720p and the 720p camera I had couldnt read number plates when used as a rear camera. I have a 500 and a 450 and have HD at both ends. Price would be still under $550.

Or any other two cameras but not one with 2 Ch as they have constant trouble with them Go here and see

BlackVue | DashCamTalk (https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/blackvue.6/)

The_Hawk
31-07-2017, 09:20 PM
Interesting advice on the rear camera, I never thought about. Personally I'm running an new A119 in my Cab (where a rear camera isn't really an option anyway unless I have something mounted externally). The van is still running an old G1W, I've had to replace the battery and the mount (which was a suction cup that gave up the ghost and has been replaced with a hard mount), but otherwise it's still running in it's 1080p glory.

Both were listed as best in class at the time I got them and both have proved to be good cameras so far. Better than a Blackvue? Who knows, but quality is great and price is much much less.

Dave9_3
01-08-2017, 04:31 AM
Thanks Hillbilly. I will have a read and then decide the best way to go. I had initially thought 2 channel would be more straight forward to wire. Can I run two separate cameras from one power magic pro?