PDA

View Full Version : Wind Buffeting

sharp
29-05-2017, 09:51 AM
Is anyone else experiencing wind buffeting when windows are open? Rear windows are the worst (unbearable low frequency boom boom vibration on ear drums) but front ones make the similar noise (at a less extent) too.

I'm not sure if the panoramic sunroof blind contributes to this noise, I'm interested in hearing others' experiences with or without the panoramic sunroof blind.

Similar comments on the previous model:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f97/tiguan-wind-buffeting-56736-2.html
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f97/interior-cabin-reverberatiion-when-rear-window-open-69997.html

Hole46
29-05-2017, 10:08 AM
All cars are the same now, they are wind tunnel, road tested with windows closed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

colinmc400
29-05-2017, 11:17 AM
Has been the same in every car I ever owned. Above about 50kph it starts to become very noisy and almost painful in the ears.

sharp
29-05-2017, 11:53 AM
Has been the same in every car I ever owned.

This is a new (and painful) experience for us. Wind noise is ok but this is nothing like it. it is a low frequency boom boom noise putting pressure on ear drums on each and every boom. We bought the Tiguan to replace wife's 2007 Honda CRV. We had no noise issues with the CRV that we couldn't cope. And also, I'm driving an 2008 Audi A3, no issue with that either. :confused:

TIG162R
29-05-2017, 12:29 PM
I have this issue with my 1st Gen Tig when the back windows are down. All I do is crack the front windows open a tiny bit & it stops

NZ_GolfR
29-05-2017, 01:03 PM
I know what you mean, I used to drive around all the time in my old MK6 Golf R with the front drivers window down and it wasn't until you got to about 100km/h that it started to get painful on the ears. In the new Tiguan however I find that usually by 50-60km/h it starts getting uncomfortable. If I have the drivers window down then I find lowering the rear window slightly makes a big difference to the buffeting noise. I very rarely have anyone in the back of my car so isn't an issue back there. I had wondered if the plastic wind deflectors would make any difference but not sure if I like the look of them on the car:

bestyjny
29-05-2017, 04:05 PM
If you need like I call it "natural clima system" when driving, try to open one of front windows (1-2 cm) and the same space on the rear, but on opposite side of your car.

More space you left, more noise this will generate. It depends on speed, but with 1-2 cm it should be OK even on higher speeds.

Tuan
29-05-2017, 04:09 PM
Avoid opening front right and rear left as it has a tendency to ruin coiffed hair styles.

bestyjny
29-05-2017, 04:12 PM
Avoid opening front right and rear left as it has a tendency to ruin coiffed hair styles.

Just open front passenger window and rear driver side ;-)

peter51
29-05-2017, 06:04 PM
This might sound like a stupid question but why do you want to drive with the rear windows open?.

bestyjny
29-05-2017, 06:22 PM
Because of air noise.

sharp
29-05-2017, 07:43 PM
This might sound like a stupid question but why do you want to drive with the rear windows open?. kids open them sometimes or used to I should say. Now we don't let them because of the noise. However front windows' wind buffeting alone is uncomfortable too.

sharp
29-05-2017, 08:04 PM
I know what you mean, I used to drive around all the time in my old MK6 Golf R with the front drivers window down and it wasn't until you got to about 100km/h that it started to get painful on the ears. In the new Tiguan however I find that usually by 50-60km/h it starts getting uncomfortable. If I have the drivers window down then I find lowering the rear window slightly makes a big difference to the buffeting noise. I very rarely have anyone in the back of my car so isn't an issue back there. I had wondered if the plastic wind deflectors would make any difference but not sure if I like the look of them on the car:

Thanks for the suggestion. I saw them being mentioned in another forum as the only solution but I'm not sure if I like the look of them either.

NZ_GolfR
29-05-2017, 08:11 PM
Would be good to also confirm that they will make a difference to the buffeting noise as I don't want to order a set if that aren't going to fix this.

sharp
30-05-2017, 08:19 AM
Would be good to also confirm that they will make a difference to the buffeting noise as I don't want to order a set if that aren't going to fix this.

This guy says only installing the front pair fixed it for him (for the old tiguan)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f97/interior-cabin-reverberatiion-when-rear-window-open-69997-post794165.html#post794165

ido09s
30-05-2017, 08:38 AM
time to buy some slimline windshields I think. The booming noise is unbearable. You shouldn't need to crack another window to get rid of the noise

Might hit my mate up for some for free and see what he says

sharp
01-06-2017, 11:13 AM
Please let me know if it works (and how it looks)