PDA

View Full Version : Launch edition or wait for RS

Alfa6
22-05-2017, 05:33 PM
Looking at a Kodiaq for the wife to haul the kids around in. Im not sure if im better off pulling the trigger now on a launch edition or wait and see if there is a RS version ( same engine as octavia RS?) down the track. Option C could also be a 17 plate early next year at a discounted rate. Anyone here no if there is an RS version coming? I can wait.

woofy
24-05-2017, 12:23 PM
Option C will likely not exist. The current thoughts are that the limited stock here will all sell out and you'll be waiting a long while for a new build. Not much info on the RS, but in reality most of these will be sold in 2018, and the RS I would say if it even exists will be late next year or late 2019. So to be honest unless you are up for waiting a really long time, my bet would be to get the launch pack as it will likely never be that cheap again and get your name in the queue. Otherwise it could be a really long time before you get one.

nickd
24-05-2017, 11:23 PM
The talk I heard of an RS version mentioned a 176kW bi turbo diesel... that would be worth waiting for... even if it can't tow ****.

tigger73
25-05-2017, 01:08 PM
The 176kW bi-turbo diesel will not make it to Australia. It's also available in the Tiguan overseas, however is not rated/suitable for hot weather climates which Australia falls into that category unfortunately...

The only engine that is confirmed is the 140TDI which will be here later in the year. I'm not sure we'll even get the 162TSI as I think the market for these in Europe is going to be mainly diesel and I doubt they'd spend the $ to put 162TSI in just for Aus.

I'm with woofy I think the launch pack is where the value lies for the early adopters otherwise you could be on a long(ish) wait list.

pologti18t
26-05-2017, 02:24 AM
The only extra versions on the horizon are a Sportline and Scout model. No RS version,

nickd
28-05-2017, 11:01 PM
The 176kW bi-turbo diesel will not make it to Australia. It's also available in the Tiguan overseas, however is not rated/suitable for hot weather climates which Australia falls into that category unfortunately...

I'd heard that before around here but subsequently read this...

Skoda Kodiaq RS:: Bi-turbo diesel flagship all-but confirmed (http://www.caradvice.com.au/500638/skoda-kodiaq-rs-bi-turbo-diesel-flagship-all-but-confirmed/)

Seems to suggest otherwise.

Guess time will tell..

tigger73
29-05-2017, 07:26 AM
Yes I'm pretty sure there's plans to put the 177kW TDI engine into the Kodiaq globally. However I suspect that it won't get here unless there's additional engineering done to make it suitable for hot weather climates.

The engine is available in the Tiguan and Passat in other countries, however neither of these models get brought here due to the restrictions VW put on it in terms of suitable climates. Unless this restriction gets relaxed I don't see it happening unfortunately.

I'm pretty certain all we'll see here is the 132TSI and 140TDI.

sclyde2
29-05-2017, 02:01 PM
if you want the lower compression 2Litre motor (like in the golf gti, base superb, octavia rs) in a kodiaq, maybe the best alternative is to wait for a tiguan allspace. it sounds like they'll do 162kw-engined highline, like they do in the regular tiguan. not 100% confirmed, but probably more certain than that engine going into the kodiaq.

i find the 132tsi in the kodiaq barely adequate.

Alfa6
30-05-2017, 03:42 PM
The Tiguan will be a lot more in price than the Kodiaq. The Kodiaq with the 177kw TDI sounded good, but highly unlikely it will come here.

sclyde2
30-05-2017, 04:07 PM
yeah, i've been doing the sums, with a few assumptions, and coming up with a guestimation of around $8-10k+ more for an equivalent LWB Tiguan (vs a specced-up kodiaq). i can't see myself paying over $60k for such a car.

I have since been reading a bunch of reviews (from owners in europe etc) and it sounds like they are very happy with the performance of the 132tsi. some are using words like 'powerhouse' etc.

the issue i have is that i have been driving my parents' supercharged V6 audi Q5 around for the last few weeks, and have started to get addicted to the responsiveness/insta-shove. i think i'll need to stop driving that car, wait a few weeks (get used to a 'normal' car again), then go back and test drive the kodiaq again - with realistic expectations.

i am also suspecting that a brand new car might have ecu-limited power during run in. anyone think there is some truth in this?

on paper, the 132tsi in the kodiaq should give similar performance to the 140tdi in my passat alltrack - which i am happy with (once i stop driving the Q5, that is)

tigger73
31-05-2017, 04:33 PM
VW is pushing into sub-premium territory with their new range of vehicles so expect pricing to reflect that.

Of course if you've been driving around an $80k car then its hard to compare directly to a $45k car. The 132TSI is going to feel like a bit of a slug compared to a supercharged V6.

Comparison of Alltrack to Kodiaq is probably a fairer line-up. Otherwise if you don't need the 3rd row of seats grab a second-hand Audi Q5 for similar money....

pologti18t
01-06-2017, 01:59 PM
2017 Skoda Kodiaq review | CarAdvice (http://www.caradvice.com.au/555654/2017-skoda-kodiaq-review-2/)

Apparently may be wise to not go for the 19 inch wheels

sclyde2
01-06-2017, 02:10 PM
is there another choice? 19inch is all that is available.

Alfa6
01-06-2017, 02:48 PM
So today I dropped of my Ocky RS for its first service. The dealer had a white Kodiaq there in the lot. I had a good look at it. Well put together, but I was a little disapointed in the third row seating. As a short haul or every now and again it would be ok but not all the time even with kids( wife has a Kia Carnival). Would be difficult for adults to climbed into the third row. Car goes on sale on the 3/6/17. Dealer told me it wasnt supposed to be on the lot and cannot be driven untill that date. They only had one and it will be a demo he said. He also said stock was going to be hard to get.

tigger73
02-06-2017, 10:39 AM
Yes I don't see the Kodiaq or LWB Tiguan as serious 7 seaters. More a 5+2. And the 2 being small kids for short trips. You wouldn't want to use the 3rd row seats for long haul as you lose all your boot space. As you'd have nowhere for luggage.

woofy
05-06-2017, 10:28 AM
Thats true, our Santa Fe has a bit more leg room etc in the back. But its crap overall compared to the Kodiaq after seeing one in the flesh. And the boot is bigger overall both with the 3rd row up and even more so down. It's clear it was never meant to be an everyday 7 seater otherwise there would be airvents back there. But there are a lot of people getting around with Klugers and Santa Fes with one or two kids. And those people were all over the Kodiaq on Saturday.