PDA

View Full Version : R-Line seat coming unglued

Minesapint
10-05-2017, 04:37 PM
Had our R-line for a few months now and was shocked to see that the front passenger seat is coming unglued (the flat horizontal part where your butt goes is coming away from the "bucket" sides. Pretty surprised it is happening and even more surprised that the leather appears to be glued together!

Anyone else had any issues with their r-line or luxury pack seats?

will take it in to the dealer this week and see what they will do.

Should i I insist on having the seat replaced or do you think repair is sufficient? Concern is that it is an issue with the glue or how it was applied and may re-occur..

PS we haven't had any heavy passengers, spilled liquids or child seat since we bought it.

Delewin
10-05-2017, 04:58 PM
For a car seat that is only a few months old, I would not be happy with a repair. I would want a new replacement seat installed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

bendor
10-05-2017, 07:41 PM
That's dreadful, it should last 20 years! I would suspect defective but guessing you will be waiting a while for a warranty replacement to arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparx1981
11-05-2017, 04:27 PM
Had our R-line for a few months now and was shocked to see that the front passenger seat is coming unglued (the flat horizontal part where your butt goes is coming away from the "bucket" sides. Pretty surprised it is happening and even more surprised that the leather appears to be glued together!

Should i I insist on having the seat replaced or do you think repair is sufficient? Concern is that it is an issue with the glue or how it was applied and may re-occur..

PS we haven't had any heavy passengers, spilled liquids or child seat since we bought it.

I haven't had mine long enough for this to happen. But keen to hear about what the dealer says. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Pzero
11-05-2017, 06:20 PM
That's shocking! Is it normal for them to glue things like that?

JustCruisn
11-05-2017, 06:58 PM
Just remember that the dealer does not have any requirement to have this replaced, a repair is well within the consumer law.

For what it's worth: There have been cases where dealers were sending vehicles out to have leather fitted locally, so not factory at all.

wiredless
11-05-2017, 08:18 PM
No issues with our leather after 4 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Minesapint
15-05-2017, 04:55 PM
Just remember that the dealer does not have any requirement to have this replaced, a repair is well within the consumer law.

Understood, it will be challenging to perform the repair though (reckon you'need to completely remove the leather, glue and clamp it and then reinstall). Does anyone know where the cost of warranty repairs end up under VW? Does the dealer wear it or invoice the factory / VW head office?

For what it's worth: There have been cases where dealers were sending vehicles out to have leather fitted locally, so not factory at all.

Wouldn't necessarily disagree, but my front seats have the "r" badge stiched into them (which I am not a fan of) so would be surprised if they did not come from the factory like this...

Anyway, taking the car to the dealer on Friday so will report back after that.

Foxpuppet
15-05-2017, 11:12 PM
What's the liquid/stain coming down the seam of the seat back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brentwarbrooke
21-05-2017, 10:27 AM

It looks like you have spilt something and it has set in the seam..?? Our R-Line seats are definitely stitched...

Hillbilly
21-05-2017, 11:40 AM
In both pictures there is an obvious stain like something has run down the back squab and whatever it was has settled in the seams.

Would be amazed to find such a high wear area is glued together . Bet if you cleaned it gently with a damp cloth it would come off to some extent

Sparx1981
21-05-2017, 11:53 AM
It looks like you have spilt something and it has set in the seam..?? Our R-Line seats are definitely stitched...
Ours aswell...

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Rubberknuckle
21-05-2017, 01:54 PM
In both pictures there is an obvious stain like something has run down the back squab and whatever it was has settled in the seams.

Would be amazed to find such a high wear area is glued together . Bet if you cleaned it gently with a damp cloth it would come off to some extent

Although what you have proposed sounds feasible, I thought the seat slopes back toward the squab, so if there was an offending liquid dropped, it would not have run, against gravity, for such a distance along the seat seam. That's what my wife reckons too so it must be correct!

Roddy
21-05-2017, 05:58 PM
To me it looks, as others have mentioned, something has been spilled down the backrest. You can see a stain flowing down it near the corner of backrest and side bolster. It's dark. Whatever that was, has settled in the actual seat stitching between base of seat and base bolster. And caused the stitching to fail. I reckon you are going to up for it.

Hillbilly
22-05-2017, 07:49 AM
Although what you have proposed sounds feasible, I thought the seat slopes back toward the squab, so if there was an offending liquid dropped, it would not have run, against gravity, for such a distance along the seat seam. That's what my wife reckons too so it must be correct!

Perhaps she hasnt allowed for someone sitting in the seat when the maybe spill occurred, thereby making it lower to accomodate the persons posterior.. It also would depend on the quantity of whatever it was as to the level when it settled. Could also have happened when the car was moving and braking spread it forward.

Have you tried to remove a small amount or just assuming your theory about glue is correct.