PDA

View Full Version : Hill start assist

edison_1234
02-05-2017, 04:46 PM
Hello guys so when I was at a red light stop on a hill, my car rolled back as I released the brakes and this makes me a bit worried. Is there hill start assist on these new tiguans? Because my past car had this function where it held the brakes for 0.5/ 1 second before it started rolling back. If the Tiguan has this feature, how do I enable it or how do I use this feature? Is this called auto hold? Or is there a seperate mechanism for holding the car for a second. I don't really like auto hold as it keeps the car braked.

Thank you all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shanelord
02-05-2017, 04:47 PM
It should be the switch just below the park brake.

Shane.

edison_1234
02-05-2017, 04:49 PM
It should be the switch just below the park brake.

Shane.

Yes that's the auto hold but I want to know if there's hill start assist because I don't want to keep enabling auto hold whenever I start the car

shanelord
02-05-2017, 04:49 PM
Yes that's the auto hold but I want to know if there's hill start assist because I don't want to keep enabling auto hold whenever I start the car

The auto hold is the same thing. It also should stay enabled after a restart.

Thanks,
Shane.

edison_1234
02-05-2017, 04:50 PM
The auto hold is the same thing. It also should stay enabled after a restart.

Thanks,
Shane.

Ok thank you for your help!

Edison

edison_1234
02-05-2017, 09:07 PM
So does it have hill start assist where it keeps the car stopped for a second so you have time to accelerate?

bendor
02-05-2017, 10:35 PM
If its like the Mk1 Tig, the Auto Hold stays on until you accelerate so basically at say lights on a hill with it on, you wait until they change and then accelerate away without rolling.

Its also handy in traffic jams until you forget you've got it on, and then when you let go of the brake nothing happens and you wonder why the hell you're not moving!

kacak
03-05-2017, 02:36 PM
With the Auto Hold on my Tig 2, I found that it doesn't deactivate even when I start pressing the accelerator pedal and the car starts moving. Is that normal behaviour?

bendor
03-05-2017, 04:23 PM
If its like the first one, then yes it should stay on e.g. the light on the button stays on and when you next come to a complete stop it will again hold you in place without your feet on the pedals until you again accelerate.

kacak
03-05-2017, 04:38 PM
Oh so that's expected behaviour. I was worried because I thought having the Auto Hold light on meant that the brakes were still applying pressure whilst the car was moving 😳

drivesafe
03-05-2017, 07:03 PM
Hi kacak, when you have the HOLD function turned on, the light in the HOLD button comes on every time you start your motor and the light stays on.

With the HOLD function turned on, when you come to a stand at lights or where ever, once the Tig stops, a small green indicator lights up in the lower centre of your dash display. ( this may be different on different models )

As you drive off, the green light goes out as the HOLD function release.

NOTE, when coming to a stop and if you only press gently on the brake peddle as you come to a stand, the HOLD function does not activate.

edison_1234
05-05-2017, 03:17 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/7753e7d65276c9831e5745d83f0415c0png-3.jpg

Hey guys vw replied and here's their answer.

kacak
06-05-2017, 04:14 PM
Used it today and confirm it's awesome, and works exactly as described 😀

Also noticed the little detail where the (P) symbol on dash is lighted green when the brakes are engaged under Auto-hold, but lights up on RED when engaged via the normal Parking brake button.

TheTig
06-05-2017, 08:00 PM
Sounds like a very nice feature, but will the brake lights stay on when auto hold is on and enjoying the increased comfort? Always paranoid when stopped and no foot on the brake that someone behind assumes you're moving because they don't see the brake lights (only takes a small distraction) and then you've just been rear-ended.

kacak
06-05-2017, 11:46 PM
Will enlist a volunteer to check tomorrow 😳

drivesafe
07-05-2017, 09:11 PM
While your HOLD function is active, the Brake Lights remain on.

Another way to look at it, while the green "P" is lite up on your dash, the brake lights are also on.

As soon as you start to drive and the HOLD function releases, the Brake Lights then go off.

The PARK Brake has no effect on the brake lights, just like a manual Park Brake does not effect the Brake lights.

kacak
08-05-2017, 12:33 PM
Haven't had a chance to confirm the brake lights myself, but if it's as described by drivesafe above then that's good news

Maxwell
24-05-2017, 09:23 AM
It is an amazing feature, I like the fact once you are stopped and you can take your foot off the brake peddle with it turned on, it won't then automatically restart the engine until you accelerate and move off, which it restarts as soon as you lift your foot off when it is not activated, a much more pleasant driving experience. 😃

sharp
24-05-2017, 02:56 PM
It is an amazing feature, I like the fact once you are stopped and you can take your foot off the brake peddle with it turned on, it won't then automatically restart the engine until you accelerate and move off, which it restarts as soon as you lift your foot off when it is not activated, a much more pleasant driving experience. 

If there is a car in front, Tiguan restarts the engine when the car in front starts moving (before you accelerate).

Ozsko
24-05-2017, 11:47 PM
If there is a car in front, Tiguan restarts the engine when the car in front starts moving (before you accelerate).

Only if the ACC is activated and it came to a stop without using the brake pedal. If the stop is under 3 seconds the car will move off when the car in front moves off and will usually re-start the engine when the car in front of the car immediately in front begins to move. It does this by reflecting the radar off the road under the car in front. If the resume button on the steering wheel is used the car will re-start and move off when the car in front moves, the same will happen when the throttle is slightly pressed or the steering wheel moved slightly. I think there needs to be a clear difference understood, re-starting is the motor starting and not the car moving. All the above is dependent on the ACC having stopped the car with no input from the driver. I was stuck in an hour long traffic jam some time ago and learned all about it there.

Ozsko
24-05-2017, 11:54 PM
AS pointed out above the auto hold switch needs to be alight for it to work and if the brake pressure is not high enough the motor will not switch off and the auto hold brake will not work. I usually brake very softly and more often than not it needs an extra shove on the brakes after stopping to activate the autohold and switch the motor off.

sharp
26-05-2017, 03:26 PM
Only if the ACC is activated and it came to a stop without using the brake pedal. If the stop is under 3 seconds the car will move off when the car in front moves off and will usually re-start the engine when the car in front of the car immediately in front begins to move. It does this by reflecting the radar off the road under the car in front. If the resume button on the steering wheel is used the car will re-start and move off when the car in front moves, the same will happen when the throttle is slightly pressed or the steering wheel moved slightly. I think there needs to be a clear difference understood, re-starting is the motor starting and not the car moving. All the above is dependent on the ACC having stopped the car with no input from the driver. I was stuck in an hour long traffic jam some time ago and learned all about it there.

I wasn't talking about moving, discussion was about start/stop. I said engine restarts when the car in front moves (regardless of ACC being off)

Ozsko
26-05-2017, 05:30 PM
The engine does not re-start if ACC is not active.