PDA

View Full Version : Demo vehicle quote

aussieriky
21-04-2017, 09:12 PM
Hi guys, I'm new here but been following the forum for about about a month, since I identified the new Tiguan as the perfect car for myself and my family.
I've got a nice novated lease option with my employer and they've found a demo 162TSI R-Line with DAP with 2.000km ready for me next week. I was about to order one with same spec with estimated delivery December for about $55k. Now the hard question: they're quoting the demo around the $59k since they know there is demand and long wait times. I'll go and see it tomorrow, but as a general advice, how do you reckon I should consider this?

I want to negotiate it down, but it will really only affect my monthly pre-tax payments by about $70 a month, so might not a big deal, but what do you guys think?

Thanks a lot.

R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delewin
21-04-2017, 10:10 PM
Welcome aussieriky
It really depends on how patient you can be. Virtually all on this forum waited many months and most continue to wait.

If you have existing wheels and don't have to take possession now then personally I would wait as by then you would get the MY 2018 version.

At the end of the day you have to decide whether you can afford to spend $4000 more than you need to. As you know it is really worth $55,000.

Also you are buying a second hand car for more than a first hand price.

Good luck with your choice. I know you will bechappy either way.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

tigger73
22-04-2017, 01:53 AM
I'd be talking to them about corporate discount on a new car and then seeing what room they have on the demo.

They should be able to do around the same price for the demo as the new car with corporate pricing. However given the demand they may try and get closer to full retail for the demo....

It really depends if you can wait for 6 months or need the car sooner.

If you pay more than you should for the new car its going to hurt you on the back end when you want to trade up in a coupleo of years as the finance will be all around the wrong way. Though if you're going to keep it for 5 years+ then it's probably not going to make a major difference.

JustCruisn
22-04-2017, 01:43 PM
Be careful buying a demo.
You would want a big discount for that second hand car which has done nothing but short trips of absolute flogging on a cold engine.
You may also not qualify for new car replacement with some insurers as you were not the first registered owner.
Factory warranty may have started ticking months ago also.

curly747
22-04-2017, 04:54 PM
A demo with 2000 kms has done rather a lot of test drives. I would much prefer the new car for less money even if i had to wait a bit.

aussieriky
24-04-2017, 06:06 PM
Thanks for all the comments guy. I was actually pretty keen on getting it anyway as the wife is in need of a second car quite soon for work, but the dealer ended up selling it for $62k this morning. So I missed out and probably was not meant to be.
I have to say that the car was a bit underwhelming in the flesh. Nice outside looks no doubts, but the cabin didn't give me much of an "almost premium" feel. I really liked the doors with a nice heavy and robust feel, not so much the front seats not tilting back much and the rear space was just ok, not bigger than my current CR-V from 10y ago.
Driving was good, and honestly didn't have the time to test the engine much. It felt strong but not wild when pushing. I missed the high armrest on the left side but it's really not very common nowadays.
I just didn't get too excited with it. Not sure if it was the fact that my wife doesn't appreciate the VW brand much and that affected me.
Anyway, I'll think if to order the October delivery (which I expect more like in December) or change my mind this week.
At the end of the day on paper this car is PERFECT for my needs. It has all the latest tech I desire, a nice look and a sporty attitude. Couldn't ask for more, but the first in person encounter wasn't that engaging...

bendor
24-04-2017, 07:14 PM
Thanks for all the comments guy. I was actually pretty keen on getting it anyway as the wife is in need of a second car quite soon for work, but the dealer ended up selling it for $62k this morning. So I missed out and probably was not meant to be.
I have to say that the car was a bit underwhelming in the flesh. Nice outside looks no doubts, but the cabin didn't give me much of an "almost premium" feel. I really liked the doors with a nice heavy and robust feel, not so much the front seats not tilting back much and the rear space was just ok, not bigger than my current CR-V from 10y ago.
Driving was good, and honestly didn't have the time to test the engine much. It felt strong but not wild when pushing. I missed the high armrest on the left side but it's really not very common nowadays.
I just didn't get too excited with it. Not sure if it was the fact that my wife doesn't appreciate the VW brand much and that affected me.
Anyway, I'll think if to order the October delivery (which I expect more like in December) or change my mind this week.
At the end of the day on paper this car is PERFECT for my needs. It has all the latest tech I desire, a nice look and a sporty attitude. Couldn't ask for more, but the first in person encounter wasn't that engaging...

Thats disappointing but I expect it will grow on you, by the way I believe the lid for the central storage locks up and pulls out to create an armrest on the drivers left as per most VWs.

curly747
24-04-2017, 07:39 PM
Thats disappointing but I expect it will grow on you, by the way I believe the lid for the central storage locks up and pulls out to create an armrest on the drivers left as per most VWs.
Yes the central storage does lock up and create an armrest. Dealer showed it to me today. Pretty cool if you like an armrest.

Olle
24-04-2017, 08:41 PM
Yeah I was pleasantly surprised when I found this in my GTI as well. Makes it so much more comfortable.