PDA

View Full Version : Bike Rack

Gladbach
18-04-2017, 02:55 PM
Can anyone recommend a decent bike rack for the Tig? I don't have a towbar/hitch, so I'm thinking of one of those ones that straps across the tailgate. I've never used one before though. Obviously, I don't want the rack to leave any wear marks on the car.

For what it's worth, I tried putting the seats down yesterday and loading my bike in but it didn't quite fit (would have if I took off the front wheel), and it was hard enough trying to get one bike in, let alone a second. I was also worried about scratching the interior.

TheTig
18-04-2017, 03:45 PM
Can anyone recommend a decent bike rack for the Tig? I don't have a towbar/hitch, so I'm thinking of one of those ones that straps across the tailgate. I've never used one before though. Obviously, I don't want the rack to leave any wear marks on the car.

For what it's worth, I tried putting the seats down yesterday and loading my bike in but it didn't quite fit (would have if I took off the front wheel), and it was hard enough trying to get one bike in, let alone a second. I was also worried about scratching the interior.

What sort of bike do you have? was looking at the same thing. Currently have a 2005 X-Trail and the Hybrid fits no worries, kinda thought it would fit with the seats down in the Tig as well.... :(

Plan on getting a road bike soon, so what ever the solution is, needs to be flexible.

Had a bit of a look at roof bars and then the bike roof mount, but a little unsure on that solution and getting the bike up there. Dunno about the strap on mounts, haven't seen those before.

Gladbach
18-04-2017, 04:20 PM
What sort of bike do you have? was looking at the same thing. Currently have a 2005 X-Trail and the Hybrid fits no worries, kinda thought it would fit with the seats down in the Tig as well.... :(

Plan on getting a road bike soon, so what ever the solution is, needs to be flexible.

Had a bit of a look at roof bars and then the bike roof mount, but a little unsure on that solution and getting the bike up there. Dunno about the strap on mounts, haven't seen those before.

I have a hybrid and my wife has one of those town bikes. I probably could have fit it in the back if I tried a bit harder, but I didn't want to be too forceful and scratch the interior. Like I said, it also would have been hard to try and get my wife's bike in as well (which is quite heavy being a town bike).

I had thought about roof racks but I agree that getting the bikes up there would be a bit difficult, and it also would restrict you from driving in carparks and stuff because they stand so tall.

I'd much prefer to have a hitch mounted rack, but I don't want to fork out the money for a towbar installation when the reality is that I'd only use it a few times a year.

Gladbach
18-04-2017, 04:23 PM
Here's an example of one of the strap style racks Allen MT2 2 Bike Trunk Carrier (http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/allen-mt2-2-bike-trunk-carrier.html)

TheTig
18-04-2017, 09:07 PM
Seems to be quite a few different options.

This one look ok, KingJoe Pro 3 (http://www.yakima.com.au/2/Accessories/category/8/Boot-Hatch/28/Kingjoe-Pro-3). Available at Anaconda if you wanted to check it out. Some videos on Youtube showing them being fitted as well. Only concern is the hooks, but they seem to be padded reading over the literature.

TheTig
18-04-2017, 09:14 PM
Just reading the install instructions, the rear spoiler is going to be a problem with the top straps as they'll need to go over it. Don't think that'll be a good idea putting weight bearing down on it.

Gladbach
18-04-2017, 09:20 PM
Seems to be quite a few different options.

This one look ok, KingJoe Pro 3 (http://www.yakima.com.au/2/Accessories/category/8/Boot-Hatch/28/Kingjoe-Pro-3). Available at Anaconda if you wanted to check it out. Some videos on Youtube showing them being fitted as well. Only concern is the hooks, but they seem to be padded reading over the literature.

Cheers. Yeah, I've done some looking around too, and also came across this one. Have to think about the number plate as well I guess as in the example picture of this one, the lower part rests on the number plate (and the bikes would also restrict the ability to see it).

TheTig
18-04-2017, 10:13 PM
Reckon this is what we need to get over the rear spoiler Over the Top - For 2 Bikes - GPI Bikes (http://bikes.gpisports.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=756)