PDA

View Full Version : Any news as to actual Tiguan R (not R-Line)

TroyBoy71
05-04-2017, 02:48 PM
We're loving our new Tiguan 162TSI R-Line and the only thing that would get me out of it is an actual Tiguan R - anyone else? There's some clips (of the same car) seen circling the 'ring with "quad pipes" and silver-capped mirrors but when you look closer those pipes looka lot like aftermarket tips (not the regular VW). Personally, I'd be happy to pay a little more for a proper Tiguan R - though don't know how they'd make it look any better than the current R-Line. I talked to someone at VGA who wouldn't answer the question directly but was certainly giving me the 'nudge-nudge-wink-wink' that a Tiguan R is on the cards - but it's unusual that no more information has leaked? What do you reckon - real Tiguan R - seller or not? (I'd buy one!)

Tigger162
05-04-2017, 09:21 PM
We won't get it.. engine not rated for Aussie conditions.

AEROBERGERKLOPS
05-04-2017, 10:33 PM
We won't get it.. engine not rated for Aussie conditions.

I don't understand how the engine is not rated for Aussie conditions. Could they not just lift the AUDM Golf R motor and put it in a Tiguan?

I just don't think there would be much value in it to be successful... it would just be like having a 162tsi, but with a bigger turbo and different tuning. The Tiguan already comes with AWD. It's less of a leap than say deciding between a Golf GTI and R. If they contained the 5 pot from the Audi RS3s or the new petrol SQ5 motor that would be a different story...

VWVY
05-04-2017, 11:19 PM
I don't understand how the engine is not rated for Aussie conditions. Could they not just lift the AUDM Golf R motor and put it in a Tiguan?

I just don't think there would be much value in it to be successful... it would just be like having a 162tsi, but with a bigger turbo and different tuning. The Tiguan already comes with AWD. It's less of a leap than say deciding between a Golf GTI and R. If they contained the 5 pot from the Audi RS3s or the new petrol SQ5 motor that would be a different story...

the engine said not rated for aussie condition is the bi-turbo diesel, you think they will use that for a R?

yes, not much value to have a R .. just take a r-line, pick a stage mod, stick on your R badge and there you have it ... :P

... probably what VW was testing was a 162TSi R-Line prototype, not a R as the media lead us to believe, as that video was taken before the 162TSi started production ..

TungstenR
06-04-2017, 01:41 PM
From what I can tell from watching the video that is referred to as an R is an R-line, on a large screen; it has the same exhaust system (only different tips), it has the R-line badges and the same brakes.
The few differences with the 162kw R-line are cosmetic (colour), though the sound obviously doesn't have the dampening the R-line has that is now in production.
As the 162kw R-line is electronically harnessed, it's relatively easy to tune it up to 300hp, which is what I think is in the video.

TroyBoy71
16-04-2017, 02:54 PM
Agree, having driven the RSQ3 for a while, that 5cyl is quite addictive... would make a nice model differentiator! But even just the Golf R spec engine and uprated brakes would be great?

dinot81
16-04-2017, 04:35 PM
Here is 3 reasons (pics) as to why VW will have to move ahead with Tiguan R. It is anticipated that it would be available in Europe with 300hp (220kw) and here you can expect 280hp (206kw) like Golf R and Passat 206.

Pic 1 - Ford Kuga RS

Pic 2 - Seat Ateca Cupra

Pic 3 - Skoda Kodiaq vRS (only available with Bi-TDI 176kw and not in Oz.

They would lose out big time if R does not go into production.http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/6a0845e1aa0ad0ddae35543a629c6f9c-3.jpghttp://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/70f27fccd7bf93d409c68606bbceeb06-3.jpghttp://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/c74d965a59dfe784c4b5fcb54505b278-3.jpg

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Gladbach
16-04-2017, 07:40 PM
Now that I've got R-Line, i hope they wait about 5 years before releasing an R ;)

Thing is though, how much would you pay for an R? If a loaded R Line is $63k drive away, would you pay close to 70k? Reality is that the R would likely just be a different tune (206kw), upgraded brakes and more dominant exhaust note. I'd be happy with just tuning my R Line. The brakes are decent and I've decided that after a week of driving it that I'm quite content with the sound, i dont think it want to do anything with the exhaust.

Chocolate_Bear
16-04-2017, 07:48 PM
Now that I've got R-Line, i hope they wait about 5 years before releasing an R ;)

Thing is though, how much would you pay for an R? If a loaded R Line is $63k drive away, would you pay close to 70k? Reality is that the R would likely just be a different tune (206kw), upgraded brakes and more dominant exhaust note. I'd be happy with just tuning my R Line. The brakes are decent and I've decided that after a week of driving it that I'm quite content with the sound, i dont think it want to do anything with the exhaust.

Oh nice to know that the exhaust sound is not completely non existent ... how many km's on the clock bud?

Tiguan 162tsi Rline fully loaded (June 2017) - NSW, Northern Beaches

Mac135
16-04-2017, 08:15 PM
Here is 3 reasons (pics) as to why VW will have to move ahead with Tiguan R. It is anticipated that it would be available in Europe with 300hp (220kw) and here you can expect 280hp (206kw) like Golf R and Passat 206.

Pic 1 - Ford Kuga RS

Pic 2 - Seat Ateca Cupra

Pic 3 - Skoda Kodiaq vRS (only available with Bi-TDI 176kw and not in Oz.

They would lose out big time if R does not go into production.http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/6a0845e1aa0ad0ddae35543a629c6f9c-1.jpghttp://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/70f27fccd7bf93d409c68606bbceeb06-1.jpghttp://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/c74d965a59dfe784c4b5fcb54505b278-1.jpg

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

two of the products named are already VAG products so I don't see that VW HAS to make an Tiguan R. It doesn't fit with current product plans. The only sporting VW left in the range is the Golf R. Every other sporting VW ScIrocco R, tour again R, Passat R(32) no longer exist and no replacements obvious. Arteon looks only to have the 206tsi too. Perhaps the next range of R cars will be electric/hybrid to give the brand a halo for the new tech when it comes. We have already seen some very quick electric cars being produced.

Gladbach
16-04-2017, 08:23 PM
I've got about 450km on the clock now. The exhaust sound is very muted, so to be honest you may be disappointed. For me, I've come to accept that, and after a lot of thought, I think that I'd prefer that it doesn't have a bassy drone the whole time. I like the classiness of a smoth quiet ride around town.

What I have noticed, is that even after just those Ks, the engine is already starting to open up. I'm not pushing it really hard (avoiding going beyond 4-5k rpm) but I'm driving it with a little more urgency now and it seems a lot more responsive. The engine sound when pushed a bit does sound sporty too (with more pedestrian treatment it sounds a bit diesel like, which is typical for a 4 pot high compression engine I guess). I love the DSG as well, it has really crisp changes, but they don't sound thin - when giving it a bit, the changes sound solid and assertive (I don't know how else to describe it).

But yeah, I don't want to give you the wrong impression, all of the nice sounds when pushing it hard are coming from the engine bay, not from the exhaust.

Chocolate_Bear
17-04-2017, 03:58 PM
I've got about 450km on the clock now. The exhaust sound is very muted, so to be honest you may be disappointed. For me, I've come to accept that, and after a lot of thought, I think that I'd prefer that it doesn't have a bassy drone the whole time. I like the classiness of a smoth quiet ride around town.

What I have noticed, is that even after just those Ks, the engine is already starting to open up. I'm not pushing it really hard (avoiding going beyond 4-5k rpm) but I'm driving it with a little more urgency now and it seems a lot more responsive. The engine sound when pushed a bit does sound sporty too (with more pedestrian treatment it sounds a bit diesel like, which is typical for a 4 pot high compression engine I guess). I love the DSG as well, it has really crisp changes, but they don't sound thin - when giving it a bit, the changes sound solid and assertive (I don't know how else to describe it).

But yeah, I don't want to give you the wrong impression, all of the nice sounds when pushing it hard are coming from the engine bay, not from the exhaust.

Thanks for the further info mate. Yeah i agree with quieter approach as it works for me and the wifey liked how quiet it was as she will be driving mostly anyways. Doesn't want to be seen as a boy racer!! Hahahahaah

Tiguan 162tsi Rline fully loaded (June 2017) - NSW, Northern Beaches