PDA

View Full Version : GPS antenna

seanmau5
16-03-2017, 05:33 AM
Plenty of info around for the Golf on this.. Not a lot for the CC. Is the GPS antenna located behind the dash or in the shark fin antenna or elsewhere? I believe the car was optioned with an RNS-510 from factory so based on that and what I've read (about other VW models) it would be in the shark fin. But who knows, should never just assume.

My GPS signal is placing me about 100 metres behind where I actually am in the navigation software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjt86
16-03-2017, 06:23 AM
As far as my knowledge goes the GPS receiver is in the shark fin antenna but only CC's optioned with gps come with the shark fin antenna, those which do not have a rns510 from factory don't have a shark fin.

So if your car doesn't have a shark fin but does have gps, someone retro fitted the gps unit and they would of used a aftermarket GPS receiver which may be located in a bad spot, reducing signal strength on the Gps fix.

seanmau5
16-03-2017, 10:14 AM
Well I definitely have a factory shark fin antenna so that will rule out any inspection I was going to do myself.. I have the most up to date RNS software and nav software installed. Maybe a hard reset might be worth trying..

rjt86
16-03-2017, 10:55 AM
I have seen the tracking issue with mine before also, but it usually comes good after driving shortly

seanmau5
17-03-2017, 09:53 AM
I just did some research using Carsales.. All CC's without factory installed RNS-510 have no shark fin antenna, those that do have one. Interesting.

Hillbilly
17-03-2017, 11:08 AM
Dial down the right hand knob to 25m and see how it goes.

I have found that it is usually hopelessly out and tells you to "Turn here" anything up to 50m before the actual corner. Is so bad it told me to turn up a street that was close to the one I wanted but was incorrect.
Whereas the Tomtom I also have tells you about 15m before the corner.

seanmau5
17-03-2017, 12:14 PM
Seems my issue is the opposite to what you're experiencing. I am basically at or past the turn when it tells me to turn and the little blip on the screen is about 25 metres away from the turn. It's not a huge issue because I don't follow the voice guidance only, I always check the map on the screen but it's frustrating.

Hillbilly
17-03-2017, 03:32 PM
Dial it out the other way then and see what happens It says the scale in bottom right corner

rjt86
17-03-2017, 08:52 PM
Next time you don't get a proper gps fix, see what's going on by pressing the extras button on the map screen and then change the view to the gps viewer.

It will show how many satellites it has access to and what kind of fix it has,
2d/3D ect

rjt86
18-03-2017, 08:32 AM
For example:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/bab8a5ec1d11fac2da7925ee5885cc63-3.jpg

seanmau5
19-03-2017, 07:35 PM
I eventually ended up with 11/11 satellites with it occasionally dropping to 10/11. I might do a software update and reinstall the maps software

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/f3e6f489e926547e371f685bf9bb76b4-3.jpg

rjt86
19-03-2017, 07:44 PM
Looks alright as it has a 3D fix

Eaglen00b
21-03-2017, 01:07 AM
The number of satellites you've acquired only tells part of the story.

To establish whether your GPS is working as it should be, you could try parking at the end of a cul de sac or road which has nothing around in 360degrees and at least a clear 360degree arc from at least say 10degrees from the horizon to true zenith.

leave GPS on and running for at least 15 minutes to establish good solid lock.

Since you're at the end of a cul de sac or road, you should be able to orientate yourself relative to where the road ends. If the position you're in matches what's displayed on GPS then the problem isn't the GPS. Your experience with the "errors" in position would be what is commonly referred to "multipath error" caused by GPS signals being deflected off tall buildings/structures, interference from tall trees etc before being received by your GPS unit, which consequently causes your GPS unit to calculate your position incorrectly.

Sometimes when I'm driving in the CBD surrounded by extremely tall buildings eg. Cnr William St and St Georges Tce in Perth, my GPS can indicate a position 30 - 50m ahead or behind, and on a few occasions, show my position as being on a parallel street!

Admittedly this only happens when I start up and immediately head off from my office underground car park thus not giving the GPS unit a chance to either acquire a signal lock or let the gyroscopic components fire up and provide an accurate position from last known fix.