PDA

View Full Version : Pros and cons for adding Sunroof

TheTig
12-03-2017, 10:35 AM
I've been debating whether to update my order and include the sunroof because I've never had a car with a sunroof so new territory for me and hence the post.

To date I don't have a build date so I wouldn't expect adding one now would delay delivery. Considering the MY18 builds are coming, it may even be worth me hanging out a little longer. The dealer advised a late July delivery which most likely means one of the last MY17.

Anyway keen to hear owners opinions on the sunroof, do you think it's worth it, what do you like about, what don't you like?

I'm down in Melbourne if you think the heat plays a factor in the decision as I'm not sure I want the car to be a sauna with the sunroof optioned.

Many thanks!

tigger73
12-03-2017, 11:23 AM
I think a number of people with the R-line also optioned the sunroof to lighten up the roof as the R-line also comes with a black roof liner (instead of the lighter one in non-Rline models).

Sunroofs are great, though they are an extra thing to break/go wrong (not so much of an issue under warranty). They can become expensive/problematic if the screens stuff up (previous gen1 Tig had this issue) and/or leak by getting drainage channels blocked - these need to be cleaned regularly especially if you park under trees instead of a garage.

Reality these are more an issue later in life and if you are like many other new car buyers you'll have traded up before you experience any of these problems anyway.

Flip a coin on the sunroof. But if you're expecting a late July delivery I'd be looking at holding off and getting the first MY18 build as likely this will only add a couple of weeks to your wait.

The_Hawk
12-03-2017, 11:40 AM
I wanted a sunroof in my last car... ordered one then thanks to the dealer missing the ordering deadline I ended up with a convertible instead. GIANT SUNROOF :D

Personally I love sunroofs, especially when you have them open a crack and allow air to flow through.

Umai Naa!!
12-03-2017, 11:56 AM
Be mindful of the on-going costs of having a sunroof.

Drains will need to be cleaned, rubbers and seals will need lubrcation, mechanisms and guide tracks will need to be greased. And that's not taking into consideration any failures, or consequential damage as a result of a failure.

If you're only keeping it for the duration of the warranty, and you're keen on a sunroof, go for it.

Vwvw1212
12-03-2017, 12:17 PM
I've been debating whether to update my order and include the sunroof because I've never had a car with a sunroof so new territory for me and hence the post.

To date I don't have a build date so I wouldn't expect adding one now would delay delivery. Considering the MY18 builds are coming, it may even be worth me hanging out a little longer. The dealer advised a late July delivery which most likely means one of the last MY17.

Anyway keen to hear owners opinions on the sunroof, do you think it's worth it, what do you like about, what don't you like?

I'm down in Melbourne if you think the heat plays a factor in the decision as I'm not sure I want the car to be a sauna with the sunroof optioned.

Many thanks!
I have never had a sunroof but plenty of family and friends have and love it. Especially Pano ones, stunning on a road trip or at night. I got it on my order as got an amazing deal with all 3 options and not worrying much about maintenance just get it and enjoy. 3 years warranty so who knows what will happen then when it expires? So much can happen in life in 3 years :)

As for my18 build build may be some minor extras here and there really depends on how long your car will be delayed in waiting for it. Remember Oz is one of the last on the list compared to other regions so could be delivered in 6 months or so maybe earlier plus maybe extra price tag on the option for gesture control? Cars get updated every 6 to 12 months so before you know it something new is out or tweaked. Right now the waiting list is so long I think we are lucky if we get ours by June/July (6 month wait for me from order)!Heard it is 8 months or so now depending on options which is crazy as some may get 17 build in 2018!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

tigger73
12-03-2017, 12:47 PM
Heard it is 8 months or so now depending on options which is crazy as some may get 17 build in 2018!

If the car gets built after the change-over in production to MY18 (build week 22) then it will get built as a MY18 spec car regardless of when the order was placed with the dealer. It would be a rare case that someone didn't want the latest spec car and wanted to lock in a previous MY, mainly if the spec change dropped options that you wanted. Most cases they just keep adding stuff to the cars though and you'll get a few more options than you were getting previously (or some things that were in an option pack are now included as standard).

Vwvw1212
12-03-2017, 12:55 PM
If the car gets built after the change-over in production to MY18 (build week 22) then it will get built as a MY18 spec car regardless of when the order was placed with the dealer. It would be a rare case that someone didn't want the latest spec car and wanted to lock in a previous MY, mainly if the spec change dropped options that you wanted. Most cases they just keep adding stuff to the cars though and you'll get a few more options than you were getting previously (or some things that were in an option pack are now included as standard).
Yep you're right. Too many unknowns now but time will tell.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Hillbilly
12-03-2017, 03:21 PM
I put a sunroof in a car i owned a few years ago Was one of those aftermarket ones with no shade under it. Hated it as I wear glasses and when the sun came through it reflected in them. Had to tint it in the finish to stop that.

Also wife used to open it with the aircon on. I asked her did she really have to try to cool the whole neighbourhood.

Bassik
12-03-2017, 03:35 PM
What's in the MY18 updated variant?

And to stay on topic... no sunroof = extra compartment space where as with sunroof = no upper compartment space for sunglasses etc.

Umai Naa!!
12-03-2017, 04:04 PM
They can impede on the headroom, if you're tall and portly.

Vwvw1212
12-03-2017, 04:13 PM
They can impede on the headroom, if you're tall and portly.
That's true. I am 187cm and fit, get in the car ok however if I was probably 195/200cm then would have trouble.

Tigger162
12-03-2017, 05:01 PM
I thought the same and I decided against it. The reasons are as follows

1: Added weight to the car, ounce was thin metal now big heavy glass. I went for a 162 so performance was on my mind and weight kills performance.
2: Structural rigidity, may not be as stiff as previous cause there is a big hole in the roof which now they need to brace so another performance issue.
3: Australia is hot and a glass roof just heats the car up so much quicker and who wants to be sunburnt in your car, yeah there is a blind but looks crap
4: Reduced head room.
5: Its noisey ounce opened if driving over 80km/h or so.
6: Another something to fail and damage to panorama roofs like that are expensive to fix.

Last but not least i have a sunroof in my current car, I have opened it maybe 3 times in two years, so with all those points is it worth the 2k? I tried to think of some good points but I really can't, maybe to watch the clouds at a stop light or city lights at night but as a driver your not looking through the roof all the time so for me it's a no go but it's a personal choice and I think we all would be equally divided in the yes and no.

Gladbach
12-03-2017, 05:13 PM
I've never had a sunroof because all of the cars I owned only had those small rectangular ones as an option. My parents in law have a car with a panoramic sunroof, and after driving that around a lot I decided I really wanted one (pano) in my new car, whatever the car would be. When I drove the Tiguan 132TSI back in September when VW first had them available for test drives, it had sunroof and my wife and I thought it was fantastic. I'm getting an R-Line, and after driving one when it was first available which didn't have a sunroof I found it really dark inside due to the black roof lining. It made me even more sure that I had made the right decision.

In regards to the head clearance, I didn't have an issue at all. I'm 186cm (roughly 6'1").

TheTig
12-03-2017, 06:13 PM
Thanks all, that's great feedback. Good to hear lots of different points of view. Going to visit the dealer and do another test drive with a sunroof and check it out further. My finance is using VW guaranteed future value so will only have the Tig for 4 years so think it could be a good option for me from a warranty perspective.

I'm 182cm and fit in the car easily with heaps of head room so don't think that'll be an issue.

Will keep an eye on the leaves on the roof as well. It'll be garaged at night so only at work where this may be an issue.

drivesafe
12-03-2017, 09:24 PM
Hi TheTig, I have the Sunroof, not because I wanted one, it just happened be in the Tig that was available there and then.

I have had my Range Rover for 9 years and other than giving some looser the bird through the sunroof, I would have ( like Tigger162 ) opened it probably no more than 4 or 5 times and always at night.

The RR is the first vehicle I have had a sunroof in and the very first time I opened it on a sunny day, it was closed again and has never been opened during the day since then.

With the Tig, I have already covered the front sunroof glass with a vinyl blockout and as soon as I can work out how to get the rear glass out, it too will be covered.

But my primary reason for the Blockout is because I am about to fit roof mounted driving lights and I don’t want them lighting up the interior.

Also, it’s been pretty hot up here this summer and since covering just the front glass, the air-conditioning has not had to work as hard, so it should be even better with both covered.

BTW, I’m 6’1.5” and have no problems with clearance.

Tig19R
13-03-2017, 12:29 PM
I'll be avoiding on my build. Just the additional cost and upkeep for not much benefit in my view.

Also in Melbourne and I doubt heat will be an issue though if you want it. I lived in Sydney and had seat warmers in the Polo GTI. Now that was pointless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gladbach
13-03-2017, 01:09 PM
I'll be avoiding on my build. Just the additional cost and upkeep for not much benefit in my view.

Also in Melbourne and I doubt heat will be an issue though if you want it. I lived in Sydney and had seat warmers in the Polo GTI. Now that was pointless!

I have heated seats and live in Sydney, I use them all the time on the way to football training and matches. Great way to warm up the hammies :)

Tig19R
13-03-2017, 01:22 PM
I have heated seats and live in Sydney, I use them all the time on the way to football training and matches. Great way to warm up the hammies :)

Hadn't thought about that! As not a footballer myself. But makes sense!

So the sunroof in the Tiguan is a panoramic sunroof or a standard one? I'm yet to see one with the sunroof come through my dealerships.

Gladbach
13-03-2017, 01:59 PM
Hadn't thought about that! As not a footballer myself. But makes sense!

So the sunroof in the Tiguan is a panoramic sunroof or a standard one? I'm yet to see one with the sunroof come through my dealerships.

It's a large panoramic one.

TheTig
15-03-2017, 12:27 PM
So went and did a test drive today on a 110tdi Comfortline with panoramic sunroof, it was enough to convince me to add the option. Dealer has confirmed it won't affect delivery time and my car is expected to land in Melbourne mid July with delivery hopefully by the end of that month.

On a side note found the 110tdi was not bad at all, had a bit of go, very quite for a Diesel. It was optioned with DAP so first drive with that and loved the ACC, very cool!

Did notice there was a little wind buffeting at 100km with the roof wide open, a slight opening on any of the windows fixed that straight away. All in all was very impressed and hanging out for the car to be built so I can watch it travel over the high seas daily, who am I kidding it'll be hourly.. lol

Tig19R
15-03-2017, 12:41 PM
So went and did a test drive today on a 110tdi Comfortline with panoramic sunroof, it was enough to convince me to add the option. Dealer has confirmed it won't affect delivery time and my car is expected to land in Melbourne mid July with delivery hopefully by the end of that month.

On a side note found the 110tdi was not bad at all, had a bit of go, very quite for a Diesel. It was optioned with DAP so first drive with that and loved the ACC, very cool!

Did notice there was a little wind buffeting at 100km with the roof wide open, a slight opening on any of the windows fixed that straight away. All in all was very impressed and hanging out for the car to be built so I can watch it travel over the high seas daily, who am I kidding it'll be hourly.. lol

Nice! May do that at my dealership when we have some with sunroofs in stock before making the decision myself.

The J Man
15-03-2017, 05:35 PM
negative: all that ceiling storage lost
positive: airflow and light

Hillbilly
16-03-2017, 05:31 PM
And now this http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f234/passat-alltrack-b7-sunroof-leaking-117747.html

The J Man
16-03-2017, 06:54 PM
anyone with a sunroof on their Gen2 Tig want to try to see if "convenience closing" closes the sunroof along with the windows?

(yeah there's a thread about this but no-one seems to have commented on whether theirs works or not)