PDA

View Full Version : Resonator delete for 162 TSI R-line?

Shock&Awe
04-03-2017, 03:13 PM
I have just picked up my Tsi R-line and the exhaust note (or lack of), is dissapointing. So i am thinking of getting the centre resonator removed and replaced with a straight through pipe. Costs about $80 at my local exhaust shop.
i've done this mod to my golf R Wolfsburg wagon and it sounds amazing. Can hear the pops and crackles.
so im wondering if anyone has done this mod to their Tiguan yet? Im sure it will sound amazing after this mod because it's essentially a Gti engine.
I had a look underneath the car and the centre resonator is massive, about twice the size of the golf R resonator. No wonder the exhaust is so quiet!

MiiLos
04-03-2017, 04:14 PM
I'm keen to know the results if someone goes through with this. Will be something I'd consider doing as well once the car arrives!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gladbach
04-03-2017, 04:19 PM
Same here.

REGS12
04-03-2017, 06:00 PM
Very wary of chopping in to a factory build. I suppose the original muffler could be welded back if it was horrible.

Exhaust note is a very personal choice. Some people are turned on by noise alone. [Harley owners!!??] The GTI with soundaktor disabled had a very nice, but subtle note. If I could get the 162 Tig. to sound that good I would be a very happy chap.

TungstenR
04-03-2017, 06:43 PM
After 5000km I notice the sound seemingly change for the good. I also noticed that in the Economy settings ( !!! ), with revs being kept low, the sound becomes deeper/warmer, with gentle pops in the lower gears...

Indeed quite a large centre resonator...

Chocolate_Bear
04-03-2017, 07:18 PM
I have just picked up my Tsi R-line and the exhaust note (or lack of), is dissapointing. So i am thinking of getting the centre resonator removed and replaced with a straight through pipe. Costs about $80 at my local exhaust shop.
i've done this mod to my golf R Wolfsburg wagon and it sounds amazing. Can hear the pops and crackles.
so im wondering if anyone has done this mod to their Tiguan yet? Im sure it will sound amazing after this mod because it's essentially a Gti engine.
I had a look underneath the car and the centre resonator is massive, about twice the size of the golf R resonator. No wonder the exhaust is so quiet!

Very keen to hear feedback when someone does this.. is only the warranty on the exhaust null and void once done?

Tiguan 162tsi rline (May 2017) - NSW, Northern Beaches

Shock&Awe
04-03-2017, 09:50 PM
Very keen to hear feedback when someone does this.. is only the warranty on the exhaust null and void once done?

I will do this resonator delete after the 1000km run-in period. The lack of noise, especially in manual mode is driving me nuts. I want to hear the DSG crack on upshifts and crackle on downshifts. Without this - the car just feels so lifeless and soulless.
Then I will do an APR stage 1 tune. This car REALLY needs to be 220kw. I have a mk5 GTi Pirelli and the tiguan feels like a boat compared with the GTi, even though both are similar in power. Tiguan feels so slow.
Forget about comparing the Tiguan to my stage 2 Wolfsburg R wagon. Like chalk and cheese. After driving the Tiguan and hopping back into my R, I couldn't get the grin off my face. Made me appreciate how much more special the R is. The only reason I got the Tiguan is because it's for the wife to drive the 2 little ones around. Without the kids - I just cannot see why anyone would choose a SUV tiguan over a GTi or R

Removing the resonator will not void your warranty. It does not alter the performance of your car in any way. It is just there to suppress noise.
You can always keep the resonator and have it reinstalled before you do any warranty claim on the engine - if you are worried. I will ask the exhaust shop to install pipe clamps on both ends of the resonator. That way, it's as simple as undoing the bolts to remove or reinstall the resonator. No welding or re-welding.

Chocolate_Bear
04-03-2017, 09:58 PM
I will do this resonator delete after the 1000km run-in period. The lack of noise, especially in manual mode is driving me nuts. I want to hear the DSG crack on upshifts and crackle on downshifts. Without this - the car just feels so lifeless and soulless.
Then I will do an APR stage 1 tune. This car REALLY needs to be 220kw. I have a mk5 GTi Pirelli and the tiguan feels like a boat compared with the GTi, even though both are similar in power. Tiguan feels so slow.
Forget about comparing the Tiguan to my stage 2 Wolfsburg R wagon. Like chalk and cheese. After driving the Tiguan and hopping back into my R, I couldn't get the grin off my face. Made me appreciate how much more special the R is.

Removing the resonator will not void your warranty. It does not alter the performance of your car in any way. It is just there to suppress noise.
You can always keep the resonator and have it reinstalled before you do any warranty claim on the engine - if you are worried. I will ask the exhaust shop to install pipe clamps on both ends of the resonator. That way, it's as simple as undoing the bolts to remove or reinstall the resonator. No welding or re-welding.

I hear you mate! .. unfortunately for it's my wife that will be driving it more than me.. one of the key reasons for this car was how quiet it was. Oh well... keep us posted on the work you're getting done. Should be bloody awesome !!

TungstenR
04-03-2017, 10:12 PM
........ Without the kids - I just cannot see why anyone would choose a SUV tiguan over a GTi or R

Hm, what an SUV is for? Going off road for example?

Looking forward to hearing your resonator delete experience though.

Shock&Awe
04-03-2017, 11:34 PM
Hm, what an SUV is for? Going off road for example?

Looking forward to hearing your resonator delete experience though.

Who in their right of mind takes their SUV off-road?! My bet is that the only dirt patch that 90% of SUV's make contact with is when the owner inadvertently drive onto the verge when doing a U-turn or trying to park their car.:tonguepoke:

tigger73
05-03-2017, 07:46 AM
Keen to hear how you go with the resonator delete. There were a couple of people that did this with the gen 1 Tig but found that there was drone/reverberation at cruising RPMs so they reverted back to stock.

The solution may be a smaller straight through resonator and a sports muffler at the back. That's what I ended up doing to my first Tig.

TIG162R
05-03-2017, 09:25 AM
Im also keen to reproduce those sounds, as long as its just during gear shift, all I want is the pops & cracks during gear shifts. I'm also keen to do the REVO stage 1. Have found a place in Parramatta that do it & waiting to hear back on price.

Shock&Awe
05-03-2017, 06:23 PM
Keen to hear how you go with the resonator delete. There were a couple of people that did this with the gen 1 Tig but found that there was drone/reverberation at cruising RPMs so they reverted back to stock.

The solution may be a smaller straight through resonator and a sports muffler at the back. That's what I ended up doing to my first Tig.

This generation Tiguan uses the same MQB platform and same engine as the Mk7 GTi, so I am very optimistic that there won't be any drone in the cabin once the resonator is removed. Only one way to find out, though.....
The more I am driving this Tiguan, the more I am liking it. I am always on Sport mode, and I don't think the ride is too firm. Sport mode removes the body roll and makes the Tiguan feel more 'GTi' than SUV. Definitely worth the dollars for the R-line package. This car certainly has a capable chassis and transmission that can handle more power. A stage 1 tune after the 1000km break-in period will certainly transform this SUV for sure......can't wait....

I can't put up with the non-existent exhaust noise anymore, so I am going to get the resonator delete done tomorrow. I will update how it sounds tomorrow afternoon for everyone. Fingers cross.

TIG162R
05-03-2017, 06:47 PM
...I can't put up with the non-existent exhaust noise anymore, so I am going to get the resonator delete done tomorrow. I will update how it sounds tomorrow afternoon for everyone. Fingers cross.

True to your name, Shock&Awe :rolleyes:. I've got em crossed!

vwnc
05-03-2017, 08:21 PM
This generation Tiguan uses the same MQB platform and same engine as the Mk7 GTi, so I am very optimistic that there won't be any drone in the cabin once the resonator is removed. Only one way to find out, though.....
The more I am driving this Tiguan, the more I am liking it. I am always on Sport mode, and I don't think the ride is too firm. Sport mode removes the body roll and makes the Tiguan feel more 'GTi' than SUV. Definitely worth the dollars for the R-line package. This car certainly has a capable chassis and transmission that can handle more power. A stage 1 tune after the 1000km break-in period will certainly transform this SUV for sure......can't wait....

I can't put up with the non-existent exhaust noise anymore, so I am going to get the resonator delete done tomorrow. I will update how it sounds tomorrow afternoon for everyone. Fingers cross.

Love this! Can't wait to hear how it is mate

tigger73
05-03-2017, 08:37 PM
Be interesting to hear how this one turns out. Make sure you run it for ~2,000km so the exhaust fully soots up (and the exhaust note gets to its final state) before making a final verdict.

Gladbach
05-03-2017, 09:28 PM
And of course, a video please! :)

Chocolate_Bear
05-03-2017, 09:34 PM
And of course, a video please! :)

Hell yes! Gotta hear it!! [emoji322][emoji322][emoji322][emoji4]

Shock&Awe
06-03-2017, 12:33 PM
Resonator delete done!

Now for the good news....and the bad news(depending on how you see it)

The good news is that there is absolutely no drone whatsoever. In fact, the exhaust note is only a little louder from the outside and on the inside - you can hardly even tell that it is louder. The note is very nice now, a deeper burble. I would say that the tone and loudness is the same as my stock mk5 Gti.

The bad news is that I expected the exhaust to be louder and there is absolutely no crackle and pop on downshifts and no DSG crack on upshifts. Zero. Zilch.

Overall, I am happy that i've done this mod. For $80, the car sounds more deeper and throatier without any negatives. I reckon that as I put more k's on her - the exhaust note will only get better and better. And of course, once a stage 1 tune goes in - she'll sound even more better, and perhaps there might be a little bit of crackle and pop.

I lifted the resonator and I think that it weighs around 5Kg. That's 5kg of unnecessary weight off my car. I'm still scratching my head as to why VW engineers incorporated this resonator into the car. With it removed, the exhaust sounds a lot better without being loud. I think their aim is to try and make this car as quiet as possible.

One thing I've learnt though, is that the rear mufflers are doing a very good job of muffling the exhaust sound on the new Tiguan. Either that or the downpipe is more restrictive than the downpipe of a GTi. I know that it must be the more restrictive downpipe because when I changed the downpipe of my Golf R wagon to a 3" catless downpipe - the car was crackling like a machine gun whenever I lift off the throttle. On upshifts, the DSG crack was deafening as well.

Gladbach
06-03-2017, 01:24 PM
Resonator delete done!

Now for the good news....and the bad news(depending on how you see it)

The good news is that there is absolutely no drone whatsoever. In fact, the exhaust note is only a little louder from the outside and on the inside - you can hardly even tell that it is louder. The note is very nice now, a deeper burble. I would say that the tone and loudness is the same as my stock mk5 Gti.

The bad news is that I expected the exhaust to be louder and there is absolutely no crackle and pop on downshifts and no DSG crack on upshifts. Zero. Zilch.

Overall, I am happy that i've done this mod. For $80, the car sounds more deeper and throatier without any negatives. I reckon that as I put more k's on her - the exhaust note will only get better and better. And of course, once a stage 1 tune goes in - she'll sound even more better, and perhaps there might be a little bit of crackle and pop.

I lifted the resonator and I think that it weighs around 5Kg. That's 5kg of unnecessary weight off my car. I'm still scratching my head as to why VW engineers incorporated this resonator into the car. With it removed, the exhaust sounds a lot better without being loud. I think their aim is to try and make this car as quiet as possible.

One thing I've learnt though, is that the rear mufflers are doing a very good job of muffling the exhaust sound on the new Tiguan. Either that or the downpipe is more restrictive than the downpipe of a GTi. I know that it must be the more restrictive downpipe because when I changed the downpipe of my Golf R wagon to a 3" catless downpipe - the car was crackling like a machine gun whenever I lift off the throttle. On upshifts, the DSG crack was deafening as well.

I think you're on the money with your theory about VW attempting to make the car as quiet as possible, and they've done well to achieve that. In a lot of reviews the quietness is mentioned as a positive.

Good to know that the mod made it a little bit more present. I might consider doing it for mine, especially for that price.

In regards to the crackle, I did get a few in the demo car that I drove when I was pushing it hard, they were pretty quiet, but there. Maybe because it had a done a few more kms and perhaps it was because I was giving it a good workout, while most of the owners so far are babysitting their cars for the first few thousand kms.

TungstenR
06-03-2017, 02:24 PM
Good news! Thanks for pioneering Shock&Awe! I noticed recently when you drive in ECO mode the car shifts earlier, and more often, resulting in gentle (deep) pops. I could imagine, with the resonator gone, this could result in more enthusiastic pops?

Shock&Awe
06-03-2017, 03:20 PM
I cannot believe that removing this massive whale of a resonator hardly changed any noise levels at all.....

My car has only done 100k's or so, so it's pretty new. Give it a few thousand kms and I am sure the exhaust will 'come to life'

TIG162R
06-03-2017, 04:20 PM
I cannot believe that removing this massive whale of a resonator hardly changed any noise levels at all.....

My car has only done 100k's or so, so it's pretty new. Give it a few thousand kms and I am sure the exhaust will 'come to life'

Nice one Shock&Awe! Thanks for the update. Did the guys weld back in place or clamp?

Gladbach
06-03-2017, 04:42 PM

Thinking about it - my understanding is that a resonator doesn't affect the volume of the exhaust, but rather filters out sounds that are deemed un-pleasant, like a drone sound or other harshness. It might not make a massive difference with the OEM exhaust fitted, but if you were to replace the muffler to get a louder note perhaps the note won't be as smooth.

TungstenR
06-03-2017, 07:57 PM
Would you have a picture of what your exhaust looks like now? I'd expect that different ways of installing a new pipe could have a different sound result. For example the difference between a longer or a shorter pipe, thicker or thinner (diameter or wall thickness), or even whether or not there is a bend in the pipe or not, or installing it over or in the existing pipe...

Oh, and a video with the new sound track? :banana:

Chocolate_Bear
06-03-2017, 08:00 PM
Would you have a picture of what your exhaust looks like now? I'd expect that different ways of installing a new pipe could have a different sound result. For example the difference between a longer or a shorter pipe, thicker or thinner (diameter or wall thickness), or even whether or not there is a bend in the pipe or not, or installing it over or in the existing pipe...

You want some popcorn delivered too[emoji23]

Shock&Awe
06-03-2017, 09:30 PM

i will take a photo when I have a chance, but if you look at the photo of the resonator, the straight through pipe follows the same bends as the pipes on the resonator from one end to the other. At either ends, the straight through pipe is clamped onto the existing downpipe and pipe to the rear muffler.
straight through pipe is the same diameter as the existing pipes on the car.

now, if i want to reinstall the resonator, its as easy as undoing the clamps, remove the straight through pipe, and clamping the resonator back on.

FYI, changing the diameter of the straight-through pipe to a bigger diameter will not change the noise at all

TungstenR
07-03-2017, 06:32 PM
There is an OEM replacement pipe for the resonator from AUDI/VW for the Golf R and the S3. I've asked the dealer if it would fit the Tiguan 162kw R-line, but he hasn't responded yet.

OEM Resonator Delete Kit Audi S3 / VW MK7 Golf R (http://www.ngpracing.com/newstore/audi-s3-resonator-delete-pipe-8v-chassis.html)

vwnc
07-03-2017, 06:39 PM
There is an OEM replacement pipe for the resonator from AUDI/VW for the Golf R and the S3. I've asked the dealer if it would fit the Tiguan 162kw R-line, but he hasn't responded yet.

OEM Resonator Delete Kit Audi S3 / VW MK7 Golf R (http://www.ngpracing.com/newstore/audi-s3-resonator-delete-pipe-8v-chassis.html)

Good find mate. Let us know when you hear more

Shock&Awe
07-03-2017, 08:38 PM
I don't think it will fit. The golf R hatchback has a different exhaust system and uses a different resonator. But don't quote me.

anyway, even if it fits, why pay over $200 for an Audi pipe, when it's essential just a mild steel straight through pipe with 2 clamps?
You still have to cut the downpipe end of the resonator anyway. The resonator on the tiguan is clamped only on 1 end. The other end is welded to the downpipe. If you buy the Audi pipe - you still have to pay an exhaust shop to cut the other end. So you end up paying triple the price for essentially the same thing.

just get any decent exhaust shop to bend you a straight through pipe and clamp it to your exhaust system for $80 give or take. It aint open heart surgery

Pzero
13-03-2017, 11:26 AM
Not sure if you guys have heard this... Especially for those who haven't got their Tiguan yet. :)
162TSI sound check.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO1AGmRLC1Y

Tigger162
13-03-2017, 12:42 PM
Wish we had this exhaust, video says 2018 model but more then likely my17

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P4jmp86Rofg

Gladbach
13-03-2017, 01:11 PM
Wish we had this exhaust, video says 2018 model but more then likely my17

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P4jmp86Rofg

That's the R (concept only), and VW have come out and said that they won't be going ahead with the R model.

Chocolate_Bear
13-03-2017, 08:03 PM
That's the R (concept only), and VW have come out and said that they won't be going ahead with the R model.

Doesn't stop us from making ours an R[emoji12]

tigger73
13-03-2017, 08:27 PM
Doesn't stop us from making ours an R[emoji12]

Yes. Tune and full turbo back exhaust should fix it ;)

Delewin
13-03-2017, 08:33 PM
May need to beef up the brakes or the DSG ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

NZ_GolfR
13-03-2017, 08:43 PM
I am pretty sure I read somewhere that this was actually a Tuner mod'ed Tiguan and not a VW built concept. If you look at the images of it driving on the road (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqAOKOrvj20) it looks like it has standard R Line seats and brakes along with the usual badges. Surely if it was a VW concept they would have used upgraded bucket seats (from a MK7 Golf R?) and brakes??

They are quoting this "Concept" as having 300 HP but APR can apparently get 316 HP with just an ECU flash then the upgraded exhaust system would only add to it.

Delewin
13-03-2017, 08:59 PM
I would expect well over 300 Kw and closer to 350kw with ECU, intercooler and exhaust system fully modded. Also minimum 98 octane.

Just what's needed to do the weekly shopping. [emoji106]

Tigger162
13-03-2017, 09:16 PM
I am pretty sure I read somewhere that this was actually a Tuner mod'ed Tiguan and not a VW built concept. If you look at the images of it driving on the road (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqAOKOrvj20) it looks like it has standard R Line seats and brakes along with the usual badges. Surely if it was a VW concept they would have used upgraded bucket seats (from a MK7 Golf R?) and brakes??

They are quoting this "Concept" as having 300 HP but APR can apparently get 316 HP with just an ECU flash then the upgraded exhaust system would only add to it.

gladbach is on the money on this one, further research on this and it was the concept R version what reinforces this is that the car was kept in the vw shed at the Nurburgring, if a tuner car that would not of happened? They can have it, will just build our own.

on another note we might be getting the Tiguan coupe producing 320 horses, but maybe they will take that off us too.

tigger73
13-03-2017, 09:21 PM
I think you're getting hp and kW mixed... APR quote 235kW (316hp) for stage 1 and 250kW (336hp) for stage 2.

If you upgrade to an IS38 turbo and install an APR DP you'll get to 288kW (386hp).

Delewin
14-03-2017, 06:06 AM
I was referring to a more "one off" high boost installation.

Delewin
14-03-2017, 07:51 AM
I had an equivalent installation in my 1974 1.6 Litre Toyota Celica. I ran 1.5 Bar above atmospheric using a twin scroll Garrett TO4B turbo fed by a 2" SU with a 1/2 inch ID fuel line, outputting to a 3" down pipe eventually reducing to a straight through 2.5" exhaust.

I had to put 1/2 inch thick asbestos sheeting down the fire wall and all the way under the front passenger seat to reduce the heat cooking the passenger's feet.

On a car that cost me $3,573 brand new on road, I spent over $5,000 modifying the motor alone. (During this period, I was heavily involved in car club motor racing. I raced this car in the open category.)

With the racing cam it had nothing below 3,500 rpm then all hell broke loose right up to 8,000 rpm.

I transmitted the power through a Borg & Beck 8.5" solid centre twin plate clutch.

Brakes were 4 piston calipers off a formula 5000 racing car.

I might add the motor lasted 20,000 km before it needed to be completely stripped down. When we looked at the top compression ring gland it had stretched to double the height.

Along with 100 octane fuel, I ran a separate alcohol injection set up into the inlet manifold.

As you might have gathered by now, good fuel economy was not a criteria. But "puttering" around Melbourne I achieved a maximum of ~20 miles per gallon. On the race track it dropped to ~3 miles per gallon.

(Oh well. Those were the "good old" days. :cool: )

99Reza
17-03-2017, 01:04 PM
Kudos for pioneering Resonator Delete mod and good to hear you have experienced no drone.

I did the same with my Octavia RS, same engine although the exhaust piping and resonator is vastly different. There was a resonance on the Octavia at 2.5k rpm whenever the engine is being lugged. Not loud or boomy, sounded more like a buzzing noise instead. I added straight through resonator and it 95% fixed the issue. There is DSG pop with the mod for our car :).

TIGR
18-03-2017, 08:42 AM
Saw this video from APR in Germany. Investigating as to wether the downpipe product comes with the additional resonator delete pipe as shown in the video.

https://www.facebook.com/910374799012388/videos/1254466984603166/

Shock&Awe
18-03-2017, 09:35 AM
Got my friend to drive the Tig up and down the street while I stood outside to listen to the exhaust. There's definitely a nice 'crack' from the DSG as he upshifts.
The exhaust sounded quite good from the outside, a nice burble on idle and a throaty note when accelerating. On the inside - you cannot hear anything. These Germans definitely know how to sound insulate their cars.

the 1000k's run-in period is starting to get closer and I can't wait to install an ECU stage 1 flash. The Tig standard is quite a zippy car (according to my friends), but to me it's just so sloooooow. Obviously coming from a stage 2 Golf R, you can understand why. I Might go with Unitronic. I am sure after the flash - the Tig's exhaust will even be louder and she'll have the performance to match her looks.

Anyone think that the Tig needs lowered springs and wheel spacers? Found a site in Germany selling Eibach springs for the Tig, but I am not sure if they'll fit. These springs lowers the car 30mm.
Sportfahrwerke in riesiger Auswahl - Fahrwerke24.de (http://www.fahrwerke24.de)

Part no:E10-85-043-05-22

Gladbach
18-03-2017, 10:12 AM
Got my friend to drive the Tig up and down the street while I stood outside to listen to the exhaust. There's definitely a nice 'crack' from the DSG as he upshifts.
The exhaust sounded quite good from the outside, a nice burble on idle and a throaty note when accelerating. On the inside - you cannot hear anything. These Germans definitely know how to sound insulate their cars.

the 1000k's run-in period is starting to get closer and I can't wait to install an ECU stage 1 flash. The Tig standard is quite a zippy car (according to my friends), but to me it's just so sloooooow. Obviously coming from a stage 2 Golf R, you can understand why. I Might go with Unitronic. I am sure after the flash - the Tig's exhaust will even be louder and she'll have the performance to match her looks.

Anyone think that the Tig needs lowered springs and wheel spacers? Found a site in Germany selling Eibach springs for the Tig, but I am not sure if they'll fit. These springs lowers the car 30mm.

Could you do a video? I'm really keen to hear it.

Chocolate_Bear
18-03-2017, 03:05 PM
Would love to see a video as well mate.

TungstenR
18-03-2017, 05:46 PM
Would love to see a video as well mate.

Someone said popcorn? .... :appl:

Chocolate_Bear
18-03-2017, 06:23 PM
Someone said popcorn? .... :appl:

Hahhha. Got me!! . Nice one. Touché mate touché

veew
20-08-2017, 09:59 PM

Any update on the video? How is the exhaust note inside/outside 4 months later?

Chocolate_Bear
21-08-2017, 03:03 PM
Any update on the video? How is the exhaust note inside/outside 4 months later?

Yeah. Also keen to see and hear [emoji4]

Tiguan 162tsi Rline fully loaded - NSW

AndrewEsno
19-10-2017, 11:20 AM
Hey guys sorry to hijack but didn’t want to start another thread on the similar thing 🤭

I’m looking at getting the centre resonator removed on my brand new Golf Mk7.5 1.4 R-Line.

I will do before and after videos and pictures but I’m wondering how the dealers will react to warrenty side of things when it goes in for a service?

Currently the car is sitting in 500km and only a week old, should I wait longer to get it done or just doit?

gr33nbastad
20-10-2017, 04:36 AM

Did you ever get that Unitronic flash?

Tigger162
20-10-2017, 04:47 PM
Hey guys sorry to hijack but didn’t want to start another thread on the similar thing 來

I’m looking at getting the centre resonator removed on my brand new Golf Mk7.5 1.4 R-Line.

I will do before and after videos and pictures but I’m wondering how the dealers will react to warrenty side of things when it goes in for a service?

Currently the car is sitting in 500km and only a week old, should I wait longer to get it done or just doit?

Pretty sure they they will just not warranty the exhaust system, everything else should be fine.

Ozsko
23-10-2017, 06:29 PM
Who in their right of mind takes their SUV off-road?!

Me.......

daviboy
01-11-2017, 10:05 AM
Any video happen? Curious to see anyone with a Exhaust and Tuned 162tsi

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

ABT 162TSI MK2 Tiguan
03-11-2017, 06:16 PM
Any video happen? Curious to see anyone with a Exhaust and Tuned 162tsi

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Me too

Exxie
28-11-2017, 08:46 PM
Me too+1

Just picked up our MY18 and really enjoying it, but it needs a soundtrack!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Exxie
19-12-2017, 08:07 AM
For those who are considering this, I'm having it done right now. Will update this post with my findings soon.

Ozsko
19-12-2017, 10:05 AM
I think the car is too noisy internally now (engine noise) so I will pass on making it any noisier. It disappoints me they did not put more effort into reducing the engine noise when the motor is working a bit hard.

Exxie
19-12-2017, 05:28 PM
I think the car is too noisy internally now (engine noise) so I will pass on making it any noisier. It disappoints me they did not put more effort into reducing the engine noise when the motor is working a bit hard.#notsureifserious

Anyway, early impressions are similar to Shock's - only slightly louder, but a much deeper, more pleasing (to my ears at least) note.

Unfortunately, no more pops and crackles on upshift, but the car is only 700km old so I'm hoping this will develop.

cameleon72
19-12-2017, 11:14 PM
It is amazing to read how some people trying to make same car to be louder than more quite and on other side others as myself how to make it less noise and to reduce engine noise ,cabin noise ,tyre noise etc ... :-) he he

tigger73
20-12-2017, 03:25 AM
It is amazing to read how some people trying to make same car to be louder than more quite and on other side others as myself how to make it less noise and to reduce engine noise ,cabin noise ,tyre noise etc ... :-) he he

Actually the Golf GTI &R have sound deadening and then have an artificial device to make engine noises.

A lot of higher end brands are doing it. You want to eliminate the road noise and enhance the engine/exhaust note.

cameleon72
20-12-2017, 01:03 PM
Hi
Is that VW/ Audi hardware thing called ''soundaktor''. Recently when was under car I noticed on my Q3 when comparing to Tiguan Muffler exhaust pipe on q3 has extra some wiring and solenoids going inside Muffler I don't know exactly what Is purpose? maybe to control reduce open/close inside pipe size and control in sound change or pure performance related ? Is this thing maybe responsible why Audi q3 is so quit when engine is running on idle, sometime make me think is engine off and put smile on my face:).I am wondering if yes if is than any way possible to retrofit tweak similar on Tiguan to make it really quite running as Q3 engine .

Actually the Golf GTI &R have sound deadening and then have an artificial device to make engine noises.

A lot of higher end brands are doing it. You want to eliminate the road noise and enhance the engine/exhaust note.

Exxie
20-12-2017, 06:04 PM
Recently when was under car I noticed on my Q3 when comparing to Tiguan Muffler exhaust pipe on q3 has extra some wiring and solenoids going inside Muffler I don't know exactly what Is purpose?

That will probably be a butterfly valve to close up one of the sides from the middle box. This will make it quieter but also increase back pressure sightly, which can help to warm the catalytic converter more quickly during a cold start.

cameleon72
21-12-2017, 01:01 AM
Thx Exxie for explanation , if this will make it quieter I would be always happy to make mod and retrofit on my Tiguan anything will make it quitter , however wondering if Highline or R-line Tiguan 2 have this hardware thing already built in? my 132 Comfortline don't, the second if possible to retrofit which module control this thing and where wiring is connected to?
One more question why my Tiguan every time when motor had rest and is cool down ( usually If not driven overnight ) when I start it I hear some very noise loud sound like some sort of high power high pressure pump and burning engine sound, it take like 20 sec. each time on cold than stop disconnect back to normal ? Thx

That will probably be a butterfly valve to close up one of the sides from the middle box. This will make it quieter but also increase back pressure sightly, which can help to warm the catalytic converter more quickly during a cold start.

Exxie
21-12-2017, 07:10 AM
Thx Exxie for explanation , if this will make it quieter I would be always happy to make mod and retrofit on my Tiguan anything will make it quitter , however wondering if Highline or R-line Tiguan 2 have this hardware thing already built in? my 132 Comfortline don't, the second if possible to retrofit which module control this thing and where wiring is connected to?

I wouldn't bother retrofitting an active valve system to make the exhaust quieter (they're generally on sports exhausts that are much louder, so they need a quiet mode). If you want to muffle your exhaust more, you could possibly add some material to your existing muffler. Speak to an exhaust shop.

Having said that, I doubt that the exhaust of a 132tsi makes much noise. It's more likely to be engine noise entering the cabin.

One more question why my Tiguan every time when motor had rest and is cool down ( usually If not driven overnight ) when I start it I hear some very noise loud sound like some sort of high power high pressure pump and burning engine sound, it take like 20 sec. each time on cold than stop disconnect back to normal ? Thx

Might be the oil pump or something like that, probably nothing to worry about. If you're concerned, ask the dealership.

Ozsko
21-12-2017, 08:58 PM
#notsureifserious

Very much so. My car spends a lot of time at 110 to 120 and climbing long hills and the motor is noisier than I like. In the metro area the few times I am there no problems at all. I have the Golf PP if I want something that makes a noise and goes harder.

Exxie
28-12-2017, 10:03 AM
Just a small update for anyone interested.

Initially, the resonator delete was subtle, but as I've done more KMs, it's gotten progressively louder. There are indeed little farts on upshift, but only when shifting from high-ish revs and at least 50% throttle.

I'm hoping it continues to develop on this trajectory. I won't be touching the muffler. Downpipe and tune will come in time and this should bring a lot more noise as well. Would be good to hear from the initial OP (Shock) re the Unitronic flash.

cameleon72
28-12-2017, 04:54 PM
Thx Exxie for explanation , will not than touch it than ;). You and Ozsko are right , motor noise and engine noise is coming from engine bay , I try to put some sound acoustic 1cm thick sheet used for roof insulation and it make bit difference, however this is only provisional for demo will need proper job ;). Reason for Engine to be noise on 2.0L compared to 1.4 which is very very low noise same as Q3 , , is 2.0L use chain and 1.4 use timing belt which I much more prefer , easy to replace yourself less noise and vibration, don't see reason VW to use troublesome chain . New audi Q5( also upcoming 1.5 VW engine) use now timing belt according to video reviews and was noted that all new VW and AUDI engine will return back to timing belt on upcoming cars. Today quality timing belts can go over 200000km easy, but chain knowing VW Golf V GT can start problems as early wearing at 40k-60k km, hope Tiguan will not have this issue with early chain wear , whish they used timing belt instead ;(

Delewin
29-12-2017, 08:10 AM
Thx Exxie for explanation , will not than touch it than ;). You and Ozsko are right , motor noise and engine noise is coming from engine bay , I try to put some sound acoustic 1cm thick sheet used for roof insulation and it make bit difference, however this is only provisional for demo will need proper job ;). Reason for Engine to be noise on 2.0L compared to 1.4 which is very very low noise same as Q3 , , is 2.0L use chain and 1.4 use timing belt which I much more prefer , easy to replace yourself less noise and vibration, don't see reason VW to use troublesome chain . New audi Q5( also upcoming 1.5 VW engine) use now timing belt according to video reviews and was noted that all new VW and AUDI engine will return back to timing belt on upcoming cars. Today quality timing belts can go over 200000km easy, but chain knowing VW Golf V GT can start problems as early wearing at 40k-60k km, hope Tiguan will not have this issue with early chain wear , whish they used timing belt instead ;(Hi cameleon72. You may be right about the noise when using a timing chain vs a belt. BUT a timing chain is far more reliable. I owned a 1992 Mitsubishi VR4 which used a timing belt. I had the car regularly serviced by the Mitsubishi dealer. The belt was due for replacement at 100,000 km. The car had its 80k service and 2.5 k later the timing belt broke and my engine was turned into a very expensive door stop. $7,000 later it was back on the road. This was 1998 money. So I am actually very happy to have a timing chain installed. If I wanted a super quiet car I would not have bought my 162 tsi Tiguan. I am so very happy with this car. It gives me so much better "bang for buck" than any other car on the Australian market. Happy motoring.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Delewin
29-12-2017, 08:12 AM
Thx Exxie for explanation , will not than touch it than ;). You and Ozsko are right , motor noise and engine noise is coming from engine bay , I try to put some sound acoustic 1cm thick sheet used for roof insulation and it make bit difference, however this is only provisional for demo will need proper job ;). Reason for Engine to be noise on 2.0L compared to 1.4 which is very very low noise same as Q3 , , is 2.0L use chain and 1.4 use timing belt which I much more prefer , easy to replace yourself less noise and vibration, don't see reason VW to use troublesome chain . New audi Q5( also upcoming 1.5 VW engine) use now timing belt according to video reviews and was noted that all new VW and AUDI engine will return back to timing belt on upcoming cars. Today quality timing belts can go over 200000km easy, but chain knowing VW Golf V GT can start problems as early wearing at 40k-60k km, hope Tiguan will not have this issue with early chain wear , whish they used timing belt instead ;(Also when a timing chain wears it gets noisy first. So plenty of warning. When a timing belt wears it just breaks. No warning.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

spjps
09-01-2018, 05:22 PM

Initially, the resonator delete was subtle, but as I've done more KMs, it's gotten progressively louder. There are indeed little farts on upshift, but only when shifting from high-ish revs and at least 50% throttle.

I'm hoping it continues to develop on this trajectory. I won't be touching the muffler. Downpipe and tune will come in time and this should bring a lot more noise as well. Would be good to hear from the initial OP (Shock) re the Unitronic flash.

Any chance of you posting a soundbite/video? Easy to upload one to youtube straight from a mobile phone.

Fairly interested in doing something similar to mine,

Exxie
09-01-2018, 05:53 PM
Any chance of you posting a soundbite/video? Easy to upload one to youtube straight from a mobile phone.

I've tried, but all you can hear is wind noise. If I manage to get a half decent one, I'll post it.

spjps
10-01-2018, 08:28 AM
I've tried, but all you can hear is wind noise. If I manage to get a half decent one, I'll post it.

Ahh ok, thanks

veew
01-06-2018, 10:45 PM

Hey mate, just wondering if the increased exhaust noise is heard from both inside and outside or just outside only?

Exxie
01-06-2018, 11:28 PM
Hey mate, just wondering if the increased exhaust noise is heard from both inside and outside or just outside only?

Inside. It's still subtle but definitely there. Haven't actually heard the car from outside as I'm the only one that drives it.

INASNT
06-06-2018, 03:54 PM
If you haven't read my stage 1 tune thread, I recently replaced the rear muffler with a dea performance muffler.

Heaps of drone and vibration's at low rpm and in 7th a 80ish km/h, but gunshot dsg farts on gear changes and loud high in the rev range.. I don't think 1000-5000km will make the sound better, was considering replacing the resonator to something else to help, but after reading this 'should have read this thread before' will need to consider putting the stock muffler back on and remove the resonator..

veew
25-06-2018, 08:11 AM
Thanks to the guys who had done the res delete as without your experiences I would have been to chicken to do it myself.
The thing I was most worried about is drone and as previously reported, there is absolutely none. Since the mod last week I've done about 500km of highway driving.

Since removing the resonator there wasn't a noticable difference inside the cabin but after about 1 week and 600km, I am starting to hear more farts on upshifts with the exhaust sounds a touch louder and deeper when driving in Sport mode.

Overall I'm very happy with the mod so far and hope it develops more with time.

JRTiguanCol
25-06-2018, 11:03 AM
Thanks to the guys who had done the res delete as without your experiences I would have been to chicken to do it myself.
The thing I was most worried about is drone and as previously reported, there is absolutely none. Since the mod last week I've done about 500km of highway driving.

Since removing the resonator there wasn't a noticable difference inside the cabin but after about 1 week and 600km, I am starting to hear more farts on upshifts with the exhaust sounds a touch louder and deeper when driving in Sport mode.

Overall I'm very happy with the mod so far and hope it develops more with time.S

That's great news, I am looking forward to make this mode since there not really any option of exhaust systems for our cars.

It possible to see pictures of how you did this modification as references. Also, any recommendation on the type of tube (thickness) used to replace the resonator. I am a bit worried having the drone sound after making this mode.

Videos with sounds are welcome.

Thanks for sharing.

Bmos87
25-06-2018, 12:29 PM
Hi,
Firstly thank you to the guys who went first with this mod. I had mine done last week at my local muffler king. They replaced the resonator front just aft of the dump until the slip join with a 3inch stainless pipe. Will be going back in a few week to build the rest of the exhaust, going full 3inch system with a high flow suitcase muffler at the rear to twin double outlet tips. Will see how loud this is and add an additionl muffler it it needs it. I'm looking at removing the fake chrome exhausts on the rear bumper to run the twin outlets. Will update when completed. Mine will be full stainless system.
On a side note if anyone is near Toowoomba I am more than happy to show you my tigs with the res delete.

INASNT
26-06-2018, 04:23 PM
Hi,
Firstly thank you to the guys who went first with this mod. I had mine done last week at my local muffler king. They replaced the resonator front just aft of the dump until the slip join with a 3inch stainless pipe. Will be going back in a few week to build the rest of the exhaust, going full 3inch system with a high flow suitcase muffler at the rear to twin double outlet tips. Will see how loud this is and add an additionl muffler it it needs it. I'm looking at removing the fake chrome exhausts on the rear bumper to run the twin outlets. Will update when completed. Mine will be full stainless system.
On a side note if anyone is near Toowoomba I am more than happy to show you my tigs with the res delete.

Did you get a pic when on the hoist of the finished work?

Bmos87
26-06-2018, 10:56 PM
Sorry INASNT I didn't. I could get a pick for you tomorrow if that helps. I do have a pic of them halfway through the job if that helps??34233

INASNT
27-06-2018, 11:14 AM
If you can will be good so I can show the exhaust guy that said it could not be done without dropping the whole exhaust...

TonyD
05-07-2018, 07:46 PM
Well finall did it removed the resonator after 7500ks and not much difference, a little deeper in sports but other than that all the same.

Dose Pipe Sutututu
06-07-2018, 03:43 PM
If you really want to get noise you need to remove/replace the muffler post resonator.

A resonator's main purpose is to reduce/suppress the "bark" noise from an exhaust and a muffler (pretty self explanatory) is there to muffle the noise.

FWIW, change the rear muffler to get noise and if you want more raspy notes, delete the resonator and of course if you remove the cat too you'll get a symphony.

Being an old bastard that I am, I appreciate the quietness lol.. e.g. my R33 track car has 1x cat, 1x resonator, 2x mufflers (it did make 372kW at the wheels) and wasn't any louder than a stock HSV.

rohcub
08-07-2018, 04:42 PM
All these camera phones and still no videos :(

tigger73
08-07-2018, 08:44 PM
To be completely honest if it's only a subtle change you'll find it hard to pick up on a phone/video.

You really need before and after under the same conditions to try and pick the difference.

Otherwise organise to catch up with someone that has already done it and hear it in the flesh. Exhaust notes/sound/volume is such a personal thing. What is too loud for some is barely enough for others.

Sparx1981
15-12-2018, 09:18 PM
Hi, anyone in Sydney willing to let me check out their res delete? I’ve just got a APR stage 1 done and considering doing the delete next...

INASNT
18-12-2018, 08:55 AM
Hi, anyone in Sydney willing to let me check out their res delete? I’ve just got a APR stage 1 done and considering doing the delete next...

Dont waste your time, just install a new dumpipe which removes the res anyway

Melbourne_Tiggy
18-12-2018, 12:35 PM
Dont waste your time, just install a new dumpipe which removes the res anyway

Agree with Inasnt, if you want more sound but not over the top get a down pipe. It will also give you the benefit of quicker turbo spool and better power under the curve. You will need a stage 2 tune or someone to code out the CEL re cat efficiency / O2 running lean. But far more rewarding than just the resonator delete, which doesn’t give you a performance gain or much of a sound increase. The other option if you want more sound is to get a hi flowing panel filter and removing the snow grate in the air box. Otherwise you can change to an open air intake, and there will be plenty of intake swooshing sounds to enjoy!

INASNT
19-12-2018, 02:22 PM
I sometimes still get the check engine light but it goes away after a day or so by itself...

Sparx1981
19-12-2018, 06:51 PM
Agree with Inasnt, if you want more sound but not over the top get a down pipe. It will also give you the benefit of quicker turbo spool and better power under the curve. You will need a stage 2 tune or someone to code out the CEL re cat efficiency / O2 running lean. But far more rewarding than just the resonator delete, which doesn’t give you a performance gain or much of a sound increase. The other option if you want more sound is to get a hi flowing panel filter and removing the snow grate in the air box. Otherwise you can change to an open air intake, and there will be plenty of intake swooshing sounds to enjoy!

Thanks for the tip INAST and Melb Tiggy!

Dose Pipe Sutututu
20-12-2018, 07:41 AM
And if anyone is removing and replacing their OEM downpipe/cat I would like to buy it off you to 1. Make a jig and 2. Modify it with larger pipe work throughout post the O2 sensor, a drop in pressure should theoretically make more power.

Will do pre/post dyno read outs.

Wolfsburger
29-12-2018, 03:02 PM

Hey Tigger, did you remove the snow grate and put a high flow filter in before you got your complete airbox? Just wondering if you have a part number for the filter, whilst I’m saving pennies for stage 2 I may as well do this simple mod. Thanks 👍

Wolfsburger
29-12-2018, 04:57 PM
Hi,

Have you considered the prefabricated exhaust systems already available? Bolt on and all bends are mandrel/highflow. Some of the systems we have looked at are pretty trick and you can add/delete mufflers and various Cats at your choice. Understand you wanting to have a custom system, our families business has specialised in hypo custom exhausts for over 40 years. After looking at the major components i.e dump pipe (or down pipe as they are now known) it would be hard to replicate or improve on the R and D that’s been done, both from a performance and $ perspective. If your going 3 inch straight through it’s definitely going to be loud, as Tigger mentioned elsewhere on the forum exhaust note is a personal taste, but droning at cruise speed creates a special type of headache lol. I learned that long ago. Look forward to seeing how it turns out 👍

tigger73
29-12-2018, 05:20 PM
Hey Tigger, did you remove the snow grate and put a high flow filter in before you got your complete airbox? Just wondering if you have a part number for the filter, whilst I’m saving pennies for stage 2 I may as well do this simple mod. Thanks ��

No I didn't do the snowgrate mod or high flow filter as where I'm planning on going I'll need more flow than the stock airbox will allow. I think if you were going stage 1/2 then the modified stock airbox should be sufficient as it does flow quite well with these mods.

It's even been proven to flow better than some brand name aftermarket intakes.

The only reason to change it out would be to get some more induction noise.

Wolfsburger
31-12-2018, 10:36 AM
I’ve removed the snow grate and re inserted the stock air cleaner. Not going to waste money on an aftermarket “high flow” filter as I’ve never seen a gain from this in past builds. No change to induction noise or engine sound, which was expected. There is no doubt the snow grate is an obstruction so it’s only a benefit to remove. I will leave it this way until I can get the pennies together for an airbox 👍

daz32
31-01-2019, 02:34 PM
anyone in Sydney got recommendations for workshops that can do a res delete?

i'm getting quoted $150+ and im wondering if this is just "Sydney tax" compared to others here reporting $80-100 for a res delete...

I expect this a pretty simple/quick job?

Dose Pipe Sutututu
01-02-2019, 09:55 AM
Try Daniel at Impossible Fabrication in Moorebank, he does work on my car and the cars I've built/tune in the trak-life group.

amunra
04-03-2019, 12:54 PM
10 pages later..

Still No Vids