PDA

View Full Version : Tiguan Modifications

Tigger162
25-02-2017, 02:02 PM
Thought I start a thread which will be dedicated to modding your Tiguan. Performance, Exhaust, Handling and styling plus any associated modification chit chat. I know there are a lot of you guys out there so let's keep it in the one place. Looking forward to what others come up with.

Tigger162
25-02-2017, 02:05 PM
I'll start off with a question regarding modification's done during warranty period. What's allowable and not allowable and are there ways around it. Exhaust will be a touchy one as a performance exhaust could not only void your warranty but insurance as well.

tigger73
25-02-2017, 02:23 PM
A cat-back exhaust in itself won't void your warranty - it'll just make the car noisier.

Though it will raise a flag with VW dealer that there may be more done to the car than just an exhaust (i.e. tune, etc).

Anything that gets added after it leaves the dealership will have it's own warranty/guarantee from whoever manufactured the aftermarket part. If you have a problem with an aftermarket exhaust then you go back to the company that supplied it.

Looking forward to seeing what people do to their gen2 Tigs.

Chocolate_Bear
25-02-2017, 09:14 PM
A cat-back exhaust in itself won't void your warranty - it'll just make the car noisier.

Though it will raise a flag with VW dealer that there may be more done to the car than just an exhaust (i.e. tune, etc).

Anything that gets added after it leaves the dealership will have it's own warranty/guarantee from whoever manufactured the aftermarket part. If you have a problem with an aftermarket exhaust then you go back to the company that supplied it.

Looking forward to seeing what people do to their gen2 Tigs.

Yeah. The cat back is after the catalytic converter and comes with its own warranty as the VW warranty on exhaust will be void...

What is a good cat back to get? I am sydney based

Tiguan 162tsi rline (May 2017) - NSW, Northern Beaches

tigger73
25-02-2017, 09:21 PM
Yeah. The cat back is after the catalytic converter and comes with its own warranty as the VW warranty on exhaust will be void...

What is a good cat back to get? I am sydney based

I'm pretty sure you'd have to go to an exhaust shop and get something custom built as I'm almost certain there are no exhausts for the gen2 Tiguan yet. I've done this a couple of times with my last 2 cars and you generally don't pay any more than an aftermarket exhaust. The good thing with a custom set-up is that you can work with the shop to get the sound you're looking for.

Chocolate_Bear
25-02-2017, 09:28 PM
I'm pretty sure you'd have to go to an exhaust shop and get something custom built as I'm almost certain there are no exhausts for the gen2 Tiguan yet. I've done this a couple of times with my last 2 cars and you generally don't pay any more than an aftermarket exhaust. The good thing with a custom set-up is that you can work with the shop to get the sound you're looking for.

Yeah done that a few times. Sometimes I ended up with unique sound from my car vs. others.

Tigger162
26-02-2017, 10:37 AM
What if you had a full performance exhaust system fitted and then you had a issue with the engine. Would the dealer walk away cause you have modified it? I heard once that they need to prove that was a contributing factor that caused the failure but then maybe they don't have to I don't know. I just don't want to do something that's going to ruin me during the warranty period.

tigger73
26-02-2017, 12:18 PM
The only point of putting on a full turbo-back exhaust is if you tune it. Otherwise just do the cat-back for the extra noise and DSG farts.

If you change the down-pipe section, you will need to modify the ECU/tune it so that you don't throw a CEL (Check Engine Light) from the O2 sensor. Any change in the downpipe will upset the sensor, however most stage 2 tunes will mask this out so it doesn't cause a problem.

I think once your vehicle is modified it will be a bit of a flag to the dealer. However if you haven't tuned it and just put some bolt-on stuff on, you should be fine.

Delewin
26-02-2017, 12:27 PM
I'm going to play safe. Just wait until the warrantee period is up. 3 years will pass quicker than you realise. Just treat the first 3 yrs as an extended running in period. [emoji24]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

tigger73
26-02-2017, 02:16 PM
Here's my view on this topic. Either way you do it you won't have a warranty after you put a tune on... so you may as well do it sooner and enjoy it :)

From stock (162kW) to Stage 1 (235kW) is a decent 45% (70kW) increase in output.

I've driven a stock Mk7 Golf R and a stage 1tuned one and the difference is like chalk and cheese. The stock car feels a bit dead/lifeless in comparison to the stage 1 tuned car.

Delewin
26-02-2017, 05:45 PM
Tigger73
I think a simple ECU stage 1 remap will not get you 235 Kw. I thought the Golf R has a bigger turbo than the Tiguan and therefore the Tiguan would only expect around 185 Kw to 195Kw.

TungstenR
26-02-2017, 06:42 PM
The Golf 220hp, 162kw GTI engine...

REVO Stage 1 Software for a VOLKSWAGEN Golf VII 2.0 TSI | Revo Technik (http://www.revotechnik.com/product-details/software/volkswagen/golf-vii/182/stage-1/)

Delewin
26-02-2017, 07:06 PM
Tigger73
I stand corrected. Wow. I have seen Australian suppliers quoting 185 to 195 with no other modifications. That is really impressive. I would assume you would have to run 98 octane to reach those figures.

Delewin
26-02-2017, 07:23 PM
Tigger73
Are there any Rego dealers in Sydney?

Looking on their web site I come up with 0 in a 100 mile radius of Sydney 2000???

Delewin
26-02-2017, 07:23 PM
Revo not rego.[emoji33]

tigger73
26-02-2017, 07:47 PM
190kW was the specs for stage 1 on a Gen1 Tig.

I'm sure there's someone in Sydney that can tune your car. Whether it's Revo, APR, Custom Code, etc they should end up around the same output.

The big advantage with a tuned Tig over a GTI is the traction of AWD. So you can actually use the 235kW whereas the GTI just ends up spinning the front tyres and struggling for grip.

Gladbach
26-02-2017, 08:39 PM
Curious about the extra strain on the diff, dsg etc. Are these components rated for the amount of torque/power?

Hole46
26-02-2017, 08:54 PM
Curious about the extra strain on the diff, dsg etc. Are these components rated for the amount of torque/power?

The same dsg & diff are used in the twin turbo diesel which has 500 nm of torque.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tigger73
26-02-2017, 09:13 PM
DSG in the Tiguan is high torque unit and is nominally rated to 500Nm (DQ500), however I think it can handle more like 600Nm. It will be able to handle a tune no problems.

From sounds of things the launch control in the gen2 Tig is a little more refined, so is likely a little less stressful.

Gladbach
26-02-2017, 09:20 PM
The same dsg & diff are used in the twin turbo diesel which has 500 nm of torque.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Delewin
26-02-2017, 09:31 PM
But I think how the torque is delivered has an impact on the life of the day and dif. The diesel would deliver it much more smoothly that the petrol engine.

Delewin
26-02-2017, 09:33 PM
Or maybe it's just down to the lead in the right foot.[emoji12]

tigger73
26-02-2017, 09:51 PM
Correct. I think the weak link in the 1st gen Tiguan was the transfer case to power the rear tailshaft: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f97/ramees-tiguan-build-thread-155kw-dsg-87535-11.html#post1012992

There's a couple of people that had to replace these when they were launching and with higher power outputs. I'm not sure if the transfer case has been beefed up in the Gen2 Tig or not.

ewok666
27-02-2017, 11:25 AM
Here's my view on this topic. Either way you do it you won't have a warranty after you put a tune on... so you may as well do it sooner and enjoy it :)

From stock (162kW) to Stage 1 (235kW) is a decent 45% (70kW) increase in output.

I've driven a stock Mk7 Golf R and a stage 1tuned one and the difference is like chalk and cheese. The stock car feels a bit dead/lifeless in comparison to the stage 1 tuned car.

Yes, 100% true. I'd still drive it for 10,000 km or so to make sure nothing is faulty out of the box then slap the tune on.

tigger73
27-02-2017, 12:52 PM
Yes, 100% true. I'd still drive it for 10,000 km or so to make sure nothing is faulty out of the box then slap the tune on.

Likewise I'd probably wait until after the 1st service and then if everything was good look at doing something then.

ewok666
28-02-2017, 12:49 PM
Likewise I'd probably wait until after the 1st service and then if everything was good look at doing something then.

If the first service is like it was on my Audi then it's basically an oil change. No one will look at anything, certainly not at a VW dealer. You'd be better off to go to your chosen tuner, get them to look the car over and, if they don't find any issues, go ahead with the tune. Or get them to do their first service, an inspection and then the tune in one go ;-)

veew
26-05-2018, 10:48 PM

Just wondering where you got your exhausts done in Adelaide Tigger? I'd like a louder exhaust sound + pops/crackles but not sure if I would need to go Res delete or just cat-back exhaust.

tigger73
26-05-2018, 11:08 PM
Just wondering where you got your exhausts done in Adelaide Tigger? I'd like a louder exhaust sound + pops/crackles but not sure if I would need to go Res delete or just cat-back exhaust.

I've used Exhaust Technology on Goodwood Rd (near the underpass) in the past. I've also heard good things about AAA as well but haven't used them personally.

INASNT
30-05-2018, 12:43 PM
The rear muffler will be the biggest noise suppressor as its so freaking huge.

Would need a custom made replacement.

veew
02-06-2018, 09:34 PM
The rear muffler will be the biggest noise suppressor as its so freaking huge.

Would need a custom made replacement.

Speaking of which: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/heidelberg-heights/engine-engine-parts-transmission/vw-tiguan-mk2-exhaust-custom-muffler/1158128523

INASNT
04-06-2018, 02:36 PM
Speaking of which: VW Tiguan Mk2 exhaust custom muffler | Engine, Engine Parts & Transmission | Gumtree Australia Banyule Area - Heidelberg Heights | 1158128523 (https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/heidelberg-heights/engine-engine-parts-transmission/vw-tiguan-mk2-exhaust-custom-muffler/1158128523)

Thanks for the heads up, picking it up and installing tomorrow

twyat1
04-06-2018, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the heads up, picking it up and installing tomorrowYou'll have to upload a video once it's on. Currently weighing up exhaust options and thinking about taking the CatBack single muffler route.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

NZ_GolfR
04-06-2018, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the heads up, picking it up and installing tomorrow

Definitely keen to hear how you find it, would have jumped on that if it wasn't for the fact that it is in the wrong country, didn't think he would be keen to ship to NZ :P

twyat1
29-08-2018, 09:28 PM
Currently working with Rob Bliss Exhaust in Queensland to get a decent exhaust system together. Scorpion Downpipe w/ Mid pipe (deletes resonator) to a custom side inlet twin outlet 3in System. This is muffler is very popular for them with GTIs and Rs. This set up has a bit of Drone and Booming, going to try some inserts to get that under control. They're pretty confident that these inserts will be enough and no resonator will be need. Will give on update on Friday.http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/08/dd235ebc061bde8c5f2a2e7dd1723b4d-1.jpg

Hole46
29-08-2018, 09:45 PM
Currently working with Rob Bliss Exhaust in Queensland to get a decent exhaust system together. Scorpion Downpipe w/ Mid pipe (deletes resonator) to a custom side inlet twin outlet 3in System. This is muffler is very popular for them with GTIs and Rs. This set up has a bit of Drone and Booming, going to try some inserts to get that under control. They're pretty confident that these inserts will be enough and no resonator will be need. Will give on update on Friday.http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/08/dd235ebc061bde8c5f2a2e7dd1723b4d-1.jpg

I have the same muffler & a custom downpipe from Rob Bliss Exhaust with the stock resonator. I also have a bit of drone & booming at low revs. What are these inserts you mention?

INASNT
29-08-2018, 09:45 PM
Definitely keen to hear how you find it, would have jumped on that if it wasn't for the fact that it is in the wrong country, didn't think he would be keen to ship to NZ :P

If you havent seen my other thread that muffler was a total failure. Removed in after 2 days sounded horrible and vibrated the whole car...

INASNT
29-08-2018, 09:46 PM
I have the same muffler & a custom downpipe from Rob Bliss Exhaust with the stock resonator. I also have a bit of drone & booming at low revs. What are these inserts you mention?

Interested to hear a video of it idling and on the go under load

twyat1
29-08-2018, 09:57 PM
He explain, "They are like a reverse cone which we put into the end of the muffler and they basically create a helmholtz chamber in the muffler. Basically it’s designed to bounce sound frequency’s against each other to reduce drone".

Melbourne_Tiggy
30-08-2018, 08:21 AM

Hi Twyat1
Looks good. Is it a scorpion muffler also? Would be awesome to get a sound clip (although I know it probably doesn’t do it justice) so for those contemplating getting a muffler they know what they’re in for.
Cheers

Hole46
30-08-2018, 10:50 AM
Hi Twyat1
Looks good. Is it a scorpion muffler also? Would be awesome to get a sound clip (although I know it probably doesn’t do it justice) so for those contemplating getting a muffler they know what they’re in for.
Cheers

Looks the same as mine, an Amron Powerflow.

twyat1
31-08-2018, 01:21 PM
Yes it's a powerflow muffler. Inserts have helped quite a bit but I think it may need a resonator still for my liking. WOT Sounds amazing.

INASNT
31-08-2018, 01:46 PM
Costs was 2-3k?

Seems very high considering that an off the shelf downpipe is just over 1k which is esentially 3/4 of the exhaust including high flow cat, the rest of the exhaust is only a small section with muffler. Powerflow mufflers costs I saw were under $200.

twyat1
31-08-2018, 01:52 PM
$990

twyat1
31-08-2018, 01:54 PM
The quality of work is what you pay for and the photo doesn't do justice.

Melbourne_Tiggy
31-08-2018, 02:21 PM
$990

Hi, is that the cost of the muffler and custom pipe work installed or just the muffler ?

twyat1
31-08-2018, 02:28 PM
Hi, is that the cost of the muffler and custom pipe work installed or just the muffler ?Muffler and all pipe work.

INASNT
31-08-2018, 02:34 PM
Excluding downpipe, centre, cat?

davesc63
31-08-2018, 02:36 PM
Interested in more info on what was included!
I'll have 2x MQB cars to get something installed on (S3 and Tig)

Hole46
26-09-2018, 11:03 AM
Yes it's a powerflow muffler. Inserts have helped quite a bit but I think it may need a resonator still for my liking. WOT Sounds amazing.

Did you ever fit a resonator? Wouldn’t mind changing my stock one to see if I can eliminate the 1500rpm drone.

twyat1
17-10-2018, 07:59 PM
Did you ever fit a resonator? Wouldn’t mind changing my stock one to see if I can eliminate the 1500rpm drone.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkSorry about the delay mate, I was logged out of my Tapatalk app. The Tig is back at Rob Bliss to get it right. They are having a fiddle to see what works to kill the drone as it's a little too much for me.

twyat1
18-10-2018, 03:28 PM
Tried a J Pipe but found the vibration to still be there and we are putting stock muffler back on.

Hole46
19-10-2018, 10:17 AM
Did Rob Bliss exhausts advise on a resonator you could try?

twyat1
19-10-2018, 10:42 AM
Did Rob Bliss exhausts advise on a resonator you could try?

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkIt really came down to the muffler. It wasn't able to handle the sonics of the Tiguan I guess. Flange has been put behind the rear diff for easy ability to try something else. I'm quite tempted to try a Golf GTI Muffler and unclip the fake exhaust.

NZ_GolfR
19-10-2018, 12:16 PM
It really came down to the muffler. It wasn't able to handle the sonics of the Tiguan I guess. Flange has been put behind the rear diff for easy ability to try something else. I'm quite tempted to try a Golf GTI Muffler and unclip the fake exhaust.

I would love to try an exhaust from a SQ5 or RSQ3 and see if either would fit with the fake exhausts removed, they would look awesome just ridiculously expensive if you can find a set!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melbourne_Tiggy
19-10-2018, 02:17 PM
It really came down to the muffler. It wasn't able to handle the sonics of the Tiguan I guess. Flange has been put behind the rear diff for easy ability to try something else. I'm quite tempted to try a Golf GTI Muffler and unclip the fake exhaust.

Perhaps a Golf R or an S3 muffler might fit better given that those are AWD, keep us posted as there should be quite a few second hand mufflers around. If the mounting points are similar you could drill out the fake exhaust and poke the exhaust tips through.

Hole46
10-12-2018, 06:36 AM
Has anyone tried removing the fake exhausts?

tigger73
10-12-2018, 08:14 AM
Has anyone tried removing the fake exhausts?

I have seen it done.

2 things to keep in mind is that the plastic on the rear bumper may not be suitable for higher temps (may be a softer plastic which has a lower melting point). Second is that if you have rear park sensors they are quite close so you don't want to melt the wiring.

So if you're going to do it make sure whoever is looking at it addresses these couple of issues so you don't end up with a big mess (and expensive repair bill).

Dutch77
10-12-2018, 08:25 AM
^ very valid points.

There are example pics in the Tiguan Exhaust thread, I haven't read so unsure if they're mock-ups or genuine though.

tigger73
10-12-2018, 08:36 AM
Some pics - just welded on tips and removed the chrome trim:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/12/ac3bb250527ce9865d3a091b3a9ba978-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/12/5dce20dc31022017ee0ecb2017eeab9c-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/12/ac4c2fadafca8e90d10e72c356de1a9f-1.jpg

This vehicle doesn’t have rear park sensors so didn’t have any wiring issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk