PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Lag 110 vs 132 vs 162 Petrol

marcuskmt
25-02-2017, 07:39 AM
I test drove the 110 recently and the main thing that annoyed me was the turbo lag. When I accelerated, it took about 1 second before the car responded.

This is probably the main criticism that I have, but it also could be the deal breaker.

I have not driven the 132 or the 162, but how does the turbo lag on those cars compare to the 110?

ewok666
25-02-2017, 07:45 AM
DSG? If so, what mode was the car in, manual, drive, sport?

marcuskmt
25-02-2017, 07:49 AM
Yes, I drove the automatic 110.

I assume the car was in the standard drive mode. I found the turbo lag pretty bad. I wouldnt of thought that sports mode could fix the turbo lag. Sports mode just changes gear ratios?

tigger73
25-02-2017, 08:27 AM
More than likely what you were experiencing was lag in the DSG gearbox when driving in "D" or in other words "eco" mode. The default setting of the transmission in "D" is to run things for the best economy/lowest emissions. So it can be slower to respond to throttle inputs than you would like and/or are used to in the car that you're currently driving.

One solution is to put the car into sports mode and it will respond faster, though down-side is that it will hold the revs higher and take longer to change up gears which can be a little annoying.

The other is to get a throttle controller which remaps the throttle input. This will give a crisper take-off as the stock throttle basically does nothing for the first 25% travel. Downside is it can make modulating the throttle a bit trickier but you will definitely get off the line quicker. I had one of these in my previous Tig and it worked well for city driving with a lot of stop/start but I'd switch it off if I was going for a drive through the hills as it was a bit too "on/off" for getting just the right amount of throttle through corners.

Lucas_R
25-02-2017, 10:39 AM
What you experienced was not turbo lag. What you experienced was a delay from when pressing the throttle to the car responding, caused by:
- drive by wire throttle which has a small delay
- clutches in the DSG gearbox engaging which has a small delay

Turbo lag is something else entirely and the 110TSI has basically zero turbo lag.

NZ_GolfR
25-02-2017, 11:01 AM
I have a 162TSI but for the past week I have been driving around in a loan 110TSI 1.4L Tiguan while my dealer has been sorting out some issues with marks on the paint.

To be honest I was quite surprised as to how nice the 110TSI was to drive. It was still pretty quick off the mark, so much so that I would occasionally chirp the front tyres especially when pulling out from a side road. The fact it was 2WD was one of the very few things I didn't like about the car but that is due to being so used to driving 4WD cars (it's been ages since I drove something 2WD).

One thing I did notice is that it was rather sluggish when trying to accelerate once already cruising along, from 50kmh for example. I think this may have been to do with the DSG as it would need to drop down a couple of gears to get enough revs to accelerate, it seemed to favour 2nd gear a lot for this. I definitely think the 7 Speed DSG box in much better overall than the 6 Speed the 110TSI gets.

If you aren't too worried about quick acceleration (a lot of people aren't but unfortunately I'm not one of them) then the 110TSI would be a very nice car, smooth and quiet as well as a lot more economical. Especially since the one I was driving had the AID as well as ACC and LED headlights (just not the Dynamic ones the R Line get here) it made for a good package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk