PDA

View Full Version : Overall Pros and Cons

Gladbach
20-02-2017, 08:12 PM
I thought I'd start a thread as a summary of the overall pros/cons of the Tiguan. I'll maintain this first post (edit to add/update the list) as others provide input. The list below is a summary of what I have read so far in this and the whirlpool forum. It applies to the Australian Tiguan range (as opposed to NZ).

Pros:

LED headlights on the highline are extremely bright and clear.
TFT display on Discover and Discover Pro is very crisp, pretty much best in class.
Active Info Display is also super crisp and impressive. While it's able to be customised, it could be perhaps more flexible with the layout. First in class.
Adaptive Cruise Control works well, unlike some other manufacturers implementation, it works all the way down to standstill and will auto resume within 3 seconds.
The technology/smarts are impressive. Example is the offer to route to the nearest petrol station when the fuel tank is low.
Driver profiles adjust seating position (highline/luxury pack) and mirrors. Based on key fob or manual selection.
Rear leg room is generous, more so than others in this size category.
Boot is quite large (for a medium SUV) although the capacity measurement could be deemed a little misleading (depends on adjustable rear seat position).
Very quiet cabin, touted as better than others in class, but also better than the X1.
Smooth drive (especially with adaptive dampers that come with the R-Line pack). DSG can add some jerkiness though as expected.
Panoramic sunroof (when optioned) is large and the perforated blind assists in creating a bright and airy cabin. There is some criticism about loss of headroom and heat insulation reduction, but so far no complaints from drivers. The LED strip either side of the sunroof is also a classy touch for night time driving.
Unlike some other medium SUVs (Tucson, CX5 for example), visibility in the Tiguan is exceptional. Large windows and a spacious cabin also add to a bright and airy interior
Adaptive Chassis Control in R-Line pack works well, and makes for a smooth ride on the 20 inch rims.
Progressive Steering in the R-Line pack makes for an enjoyable drive and allows for easy 3 point turns.
3 zone climate control.
Brake assist is very handy (don't have to hold your foot on the brakes at the lights, even with start/stop disabled).
Auto open tailgate (kick feature).
Android Auto/Carplay which isn't available in some competitors' vehicles.
Capped price servicing.
Passenger seat folds flat for more load space if required.

Cons:

LED headlights not offered as an option on lower models.
Audio system could be better, no option to upgrade to DynAudio.
162TSI isn’t quite as punchy as anticipated.
162TSI exhaust note is flat and the engine sounds diesel like at idle/low revs.
Lower spec models look a bit bland. Improved aesthetics with the highline, and the R-Line pack really adds some style (although visual appeal is largely subjective).
Area view while good, requires calibration and can't always be 100% trusted.
No electric front passenger seat in highline/luxary pack.
hatch back style hard boot cover instead of retractable blind found in other SUVs and wagons.
140TDI suffers from lag, and not as responsive as was hoped. Other engines suffer from slight turbo lag and DSG needs to be driven slightly differently to a standard automatic to ensure a smooth ride.
2,500KG towing capacity is misleading as towball weight is only 100KG (effectively restricting towing to 1,000KG).
Trapezoidal exhaust diffusers look good (subjective) but the actual exhaust pipes sit behind the bumper and face downwards.
Auto start/stop can be irritating and has to be disabled on each journey (or permanently by VCDS). This is a common complaint across cars from other manufacturers as well.
The Car-Net offering in Australia is very limited compared to what is available overseas. See Availability by country check. (http://volkswagen-carnet.com/int/en/start/availability.html).
Lack of head up display in Australia - although overseas reviews of the HUD haven't been glowing.
Long waiting time for 162TSI
3 Year Warranty (other manufactures offering 5,7 and even 8 with Peugots).
Space saver wheel instead of full size (although some people might prefer this as it obviously saves on space and weight)
ACC can actually be dangerous (it specifies in the manual not to use it on dual lane roads). If someone is stopped and turning in an adjacent lane the ACC will sometimes brake hard as if they're in your lane.
Does not have Traffic Jam Assist as seen in other models such as the Passat. Also doesn't have Active Lane Assist. ACC can work in traffic, but not to the same degree as TJA.
No support for Apple CarPlay or android maps on Active Info Display (although it's understood this is a limitation with the APIs - i.e. they don't extend auxiliary display support).

Delewin
20-02-2017, 08:30 PM
Hi Gladbach. Well encapsulated. This thread will be beneficial to all Tiguan owners. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

jaydeecee18
20-02-2017, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the detailed feedback! Much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chocolate_Bear
21-02-2017, 05:49 AM
I thought I'd start a thread as a summary of the overall pros/cons of the Tiguan. I'll maintain this first post (edit to add/update the list) as others provide input. The list below is a summary of what I have read so far in this and the whirlpool forum. It applies to the Australian Tiguan range (as opposed to NZ).

Pros:

LED headlights on the highline are extremely bright and clear.
TFT display on Discover and Discover Pro is very crisp, pretty much best in class.
Active Info Display is also super crisp and impressive. While it's able to be customised, it could be perhaps more flexible with the layout. First in class.
Adaptive Cruise Control works well, unlike some other manufacturers implementation, it works all the way down to standstill and will auto resume within 3 seconds.
The technology/smarts are impressive. Example is the offer to route to the nearest petrol station when the fuel tank is low.
Driver profiles adjust seating position (highline/luxury pack) and mirrors. Based on key fob or manual selection.
Rear leg room is generous, more so than others in this size category.
Boot is quite large (for a medium SUV) although the capacity measurement could be deemed a little misleading (depends on adjustable rear seat position).
Very quiet cabin, touted as better than others in class, but also better than the X1.
Smooth drive (especially with adaptive dampers that come with the R-Line pack). DSG can add some jerkiness though as expected.
Panoramic sunroof (when optioned) is large and the perforated blind assists in creating a bright and airy cabin. There is some criticism about loss of headroom and heat insulation reduction, but so far no complaints from drivers. The LED strip either side of the sunroof is also a classy touch for night time driving.
Unlike some other medium SUVs (Tucson, CX5 for example), visibility in the Tiguan is exceptional. Large windows and a spacious cabin also add to a bright and airy interior
Adaptive Chassis Control in R-Line pack works well, and makes for a smooth ride on the 20 inch rims.
Progressive Steering in the R-Line pack makes for an enjoyable drive and allows for easy 3 point turns.
3 zone climate control.
Brake assist is very handy (don't have to hold your foot on the brakes at the lights, even with start/stop disabled).
Auto open tailgate (kick feature).

Cons:

LED headlights not offered as an option on lower models.
Audio system could be better, no option to upgrade to DynAudio.
162TSI isn’t as quite punchy as anticipated.
162TSI exhaust note is flat and the engine sounds diesel like at idle/low revs.
Lower spec models look a bit bland. Improved aesthetics with the highline, and the R-Line pack really adds some style (although visual appeal is largely subjective).
Area view while good, requires calibration and can't always be 100% trusted.
No electric front passenger seat in highline/luxary pack.
hatch back style hard boot cover instead of retractable blind found in other SUVs and wagons.
140TDI suffers from lag, and not as responsive as was hoped. Other engines suffer from slight turbo lag and DSG needs to be driven slightly differently to a standard automatic to ensure a smooth ride.
2,500KG towing capacity is misleading as towball weight is only 100KG (effectively restricting towing to 1,000KG).
Trapezoidal exhaust diffusers look good (subjective) but the actual exhaust pipes sit behind the bumper and face downwards.
Auto start/stop can be irritating and has to be disabled on each journey (or permanently by VCDS). This is a common complaint across cars from other manufacturers as well.

Great work mate! Thanks for this!

Tiguan 162tsi rline (May 2017) - NSW, Northern Beaches

TungstenR
21-02-2017, 07:33 AM
Great effort Gladbach. Will add a few more soon... :-) / :-(

Gladbach
21-02-2017, 06:48 PM
Thanks guys. I've added Pro: Android Auto/Car Play and Con: limited features for Car-Net in Australia.

cvee
21-02-2017, 06:52 PM
Thanks guys. I've added Pro: Android Auto/Car Play and Con: limited features for Car-Net in Australia.

It's not limited Car-net...... it's non existent.
In the age of internet I don't know why they don't roll it out globally.
I know some of the features are regional ... but some would still be useful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hcvo1
21-02-2017, 07:09 PM
what about no heads up display for Aussies and 6 month wait?

Delewin
21-02-2017, 07:13 PM
I agree. No heads up display on a $50,000 car is just not on. It's like MB charging you for removing a badge.

hcvo1
21-02-2017, 07:16 PM
I agree. No heads up display on a $50,000 car is just not on. It's like MB charging you for removing a badge.

add to that list 3 year warranty while other manufacturers are offering 5, 7 and even 8 with the Peugeots

Gladbach
21-02-2017, 07:26 PM
I've added the last few points made. Keep them coming!

Mac135
21-02-2017, 08:38 PM
add to that list 3 year warranty while other manufacturers are offering 5, 7 and even 8 with the Peugeots

yes but you are buying a Peugeot. I'd take the three years.

hcvo1
21-02-2017, 08:48 PM
yes but you are buying a Peugeot. I'd take the three years.

Surprisingly the Peugeot 4008 is Japanese built and shares the same interior and engine as the Mitsubishi ASX.

Yes I'll take the 3 years as well!

Delewin
21-02-2017, 09:48 PM
[emoji33] [emoji12]

Delewin
21-02-2017, 09:53 PM
Must add 1 more con.

The space saver tyre. They are really s%%%%. All SUVs should have a full size spare.

Mac135
22-02-2017, 07:22 AM
Must add 1 more con.

The space saver tyre. They are really s%%%%. All SUVs should have a full size spare.

Some of these pros and cons are really a matter of perspective......to take a couple from my perspective

space saver tyre - my car will never see dirt she will always be a city Tig so space saver is not a con to me
towing- my Tig will never tow anything. If you need to move stuff god invented trucks and man created Hertz/Avis etc. Towing capability is not a con for me but I have the pro of keeping the nice rear valance/diffuser intact

Not sure that the long delivery times are a con so far as the car goes either. Annoying perhaps, but secretly I think many of us get some twisted pleasure from the wait and the speculation, research, tracking, what's my build date, which boat is it on, did I get the right options/colour, will it go/sound the way I want it to that has filled pages and pages of posts on this forum. The long lead times and the consequent time spent here may have actually kept a few of us out of mischief elsewhere.

Delewin
22-02-2017, 08:28 AM
Mac135. I agree with you re delay in receiving the car.

I will not be towing but I believe VW's advertising is misleading because it tells us the Tiguan can tow up to 2.5 ton but then puts a 100 kg limit on the tow ball and does not allow a weight distributing hitch installed. Dead weight on the ball will give you 1 ton not 2.5 ton. That is misleading advertising and the ACCC could go them for it.

Gladbach
22-02-2017, 08:45 AM
The Pros and Cons won't necessary apply to everyone. I'm not even installing a tow bar on mine, but obviously the tow ball limit is a limitation. I'm keeping the list as objective as possible, and pointing out where things may be subjective (for example, visual appeal).

I've added the space saver as a con, but for some it might be a positive so I've pointed that out.

Gladbach
22-02-2017, 08:48 AM
I should also note that what makes the list are only pros/cons that have been discussed by a number of people, and whether it is a pro or a con is based on the majority opinion.

Ozsko
22-02-2017, 10:56 AM
Mac135. I agree with you re delay in receiving the car.

I will not be towing but I believe VW's advertising is misleading because it tells us the Tiguan can tow up to 2.5 ton but then puts a 100 kg limit on the tow ball and does not allow a weight distributing hitch installed. Dead weight on the ball will give you 1 ton not 2.5 ton. That is misleading advertising and the ACCC could go them for it.

So balance the load so the vertical weight does not exceed 100kg. Truck drivers do it all the time to prevent the front axle load exceeding the specified allowed load being exceeded.

Delewin
22-02-2017, 11:31 AM
My comment was based on my understanding that if you do not use a weight distribution hitch your total weight towed should not exceed 8% to 10% of the weight of your fully laden trailer.

Using that logic 100 kg weight on the ball would give you a maximum total laden weight of trailer equal to 1,000 kg and not 2,500 kg as the advertising claims.

Usually trailers/caravans are designed and built with a known ball weight range. If you move the load as you suggest to the rear of the trailer to lighten the ball weight you can have control issues and you are not making full use of your trailer's capacity.

Frogasaursas
22-02-2017, 05:36 PM
Couple more cons a few have mentioned and I agree with

Leather seats don't seem to have great ventilation at the back - ie your lower back gets hot.

No support for Apple CarPlay or android maps on Active Info Display.

ACC can actually be dangerous ( it specifies in the manual not to use it on dual lane roads). If someone is stopped and turning in an adjacent lane the ACC will sometimes brake hard as if they're in your lane.

Gladbach
22-02-2017, 06:05 PM
Couple more cons a few have mentioned and I agree with

Leather seats don't seem to have great ventilation at the back - ie your lower back gets hot.

No support for Apple CarPlay or android maps on Active Info Display.

ACC can actually be dangerous ( it specifies in the manual not to use it on dual lane roads). If someone is stopped and turning in an adjacent lane the ACC will sometimes brake hard as if they're in your lane.

Thanks. I'll put the second point in there (although it's a limitation with the technologies, not really VW's fault). The other two haven't come up on this forum as far as I've seen recently. If a few other concur then I'll add those too.

Frogasaursas
22-02-2017, 07:21 PM
Thanks. I'll put the second point in there (although it's a limitation with the technologies, not really VW's fault). The other two haven't come up on this forum as far as I've seen recently. If a few other concur then I'll add those too.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/02/8603f544da021774c02f2006de736fb9-2.jpg

Delewin
22-02-2017, 08:35 PM
I think the limitation on Apple car play and Android auto not displaying in front of the driver is sort of a limitation in the sense that the driver display is version 1 and it should be incorporated in a later release.

The real pity is VW don't do firmware uodates because that may be a solution?

Gladbach
22-02-2017, 09:14 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/02/8603f544da021774c02f2006de736fb9-2.jpg

OK, I'll add the ACC one ;-)

latearrival
23-02-2017, 09:33 AM
What about the lack of active lane assist and traffic jam assist?

Gladbach
23-02-2017, 10:05 AM
What about the lack of active lane assist and traffic jam assist?

Yeah, that's a good point. Really wished it had actual traffic jam assist rather than just ACC and lane assist, and others have made the same point. I'll add it.

Gladbach
23-02-2017, 10:10 AM
The cons are getting close to outweighing the pros ;-) Time to come up with a few more positive things!!

cvee
23-02-2017, 12:01 PM
Yeah, that's a good point. Really wished it had actual traffic jam assist rather than just ACC and lane assist, and others have made the same point. I'll add it.

What do you mean?
I thought there was lane assist if you get Dap.
Also traffic jam assist in the guise of acc should also work.

I read acc stops and goes from standstill.

Mac135
23-02-2017, 12:19 PM
It doesn't help that not that many of the cons are really genuine shortcomings in the car.

Maybe a few things didn't make our collective wish lists (Carplay in the AID for example) or some on here have imagined that it is something that it was never intended to be - like a psuedo sports car. And somehow some people only now have worked out that the approach to driving a DSG car is a little different from a TC auto - did they not do a test drive.

Six months of dissecting what we thought the car might be before it arrives and now six months of dissection now they have arrived.

But we are having fun anyway right? :rolleyes:

vwnc
23-02-2017, 12:35 PM
It doesn't help that not that many of the cons are really genuine shortcomings in the car.

Maybe a few things didn't make our collective wish lists (Carplay in the AID for example) or some on here have imagined that it is something that it was never intended to be - like a psuedo sports car. And somehow some people only now have worked out that the approach to driving a DSG car is a little different from a TC auto - did they not do a test drive.

Six months of dissecting what we thought the car might be before it arrives and now six months of dissection.

This will be my first VW. Have noticed a lot of comments re driving the dsg differently. Can you point me to any solid articles to learn about the style? Hard to find.

Thanks mate

Gladbach
23-02-2017, 12:37 PM

Six months of dissecting what we thought the car might be before it arrives and now six months of dissection.

Exactly. The more you wait for and anticipate something, the more it gets built up to be more than what it is. Although, to be fair, some of the things like the engine noise and performance of the 162TSI is based on marketing from VW (well, overseas marketing anyway), having artificial deep sporty sounding exhaust note in an ad for example.

Still, if you look over the cons and compare them to other cars in the same category, the Tiguan still does very well in comparison. A lot of the list is comprised of feature we don't have in Australia that are offered overseas , but a lot of those aren't offered in competitors vehicles either. Same with the shortcomings of some of the features like AID, which is a first in this category.

Gladbach
23-02-2017, 12:39 PM
Oh, and Yes, if I had ordered car back in September and picked it up a week later then I would have missed out on all of the conversation and debate over the car, and potentially not even realised that some of the features of the vehicle even existed! As much as it's agonising to wait, it's still such an exciting experience.

latearrival
23-02-2017, 01:06 PM
What do you mean?
I thought there was lane assist if you get Dap.
Also traffic jam assist in the guise of acc should also work.

I read acc stops and goes from standstill.

I'm new to VW/Tiguans/this forum so I'd love to stand corrected, but here's what I understand:

- Lane Assist is passive - it just provides an alert if you start to leave your lane, it does not actually take control of the steering to keep you in the lane.

EDIT 1 - It seems I'm wrong about this (which I'm happy about). VW site says, "If you start to leave your lane without indicating the system takes corrective steering action".

- Traffic Jam Assist, as found in other VWs, will not just start/stop your car in the traffic jam but will keep the car in the lane as well.

EDIT 1 - If it can steer with Lane Assist, stop & start with ACC, I'm now not sure if the Tiguan will or won't take drive itself in a traffic jam.
EDIT 2 - ACC will stop/start the car in a traffic jam. But it won't keep itself in the lane at slow speeds. So no TJA on the Tig.

TL;DR: ACC on the freeway and on local roads will control the speed but not steer. (Passive) Lane Assist just alerts you.

cvee
23-02-2017, 01:28 PM
I'm new to VW/Tiguans/this forum so I'd love to stand corrected, but here's what I understand:

- Lane Assist is passive - it just provides an alert if you start to leave your lane, it does not actually take control of the steering to keep you in the lane.

- Traffic Jam Assist, as found in other VWs, will not just start/stop your car in the traffic jam but will keep the car in the lane as well.

TL;DR: ACC on the freeway and on local roads will control the speed but never steer. Lane Assist just alerts you.

Ok, this is what I believe based on test drive, research and other people's comments.
There IS Active lane assist (or steering assist) to keep you in lane when going 70km or faster.

Under that speed it does not keep you in lane. So I guess traffic jam assist is only braking/accelerating but no steering/lane keep. So it's really just acc.

Mac135
23-02-2017, 01:31 PM
Exactly. The more you wait for and anticipate something, the more it gets built up to be more than what it is. Although, to be fair, some of the things like the engine noise and performance of the 162TSI is based on marketing from VW (well, overseas marketing anyway), having artificial deep sporty sounding exhaust note in an ad for example.

Still, if you look over the cons and compare them to other cars in the same category, the Tiguan still does very well in comparison. A lot of the list is comprised of feature we don't have in Australia that are offered overseas , but a lot of those aren't offered in competitors vehicles either. Same with the shortcomings of some of the features like AID, which is a first in this category.

We have had our car a month tomorrow - highline. Its great and so far as I can see does everything it says on the box. I only have one real criticism and that is the operation of all the nanny stuff included. Some things I've turned off, everything I've turned down (seriously the first time I reverse parked it behaved like the robot in Lost in Space - all at about 100dB and everything short of arms flailing). I want to get rid of stop/start too. But most cars are include this stuff so I live with it and minimise what I can.

Things offered overseas that aren't available here - you have to get over that. It is usually a case of Australia being a technology adopter rather than a creator and our often tech lags in a whole lot of situations - more than it should I would say. Small populations, economies of scale and comparatively slow adoption through legislation don't help in this regard either.

The only thing I would wish for on the car that wasn't available was the Dynaudio (or something similar)

Anticipation - we waited for the Tig from August to Jan 30 (near enough) and I'm currently waiting for an Audi S3 sedan ordered Jan 7th. The S3 is due to be built next week and arrive late May so all in all I'll have spent about 9 months of the past 12 waiting for cars - and therefore spending far too much time on either vwwatercooled or ozaudi.

Mac135
23-02-2017, 01:43 PM
This will be my first VW. Have noticed a lot of comments re driving the dsg differently. Can you point me to any solid articles to learn about the style? Hard to find.

Thanks mate

Start with this.....
VWVortex.com - How to Play The DSG Game, and Win - DSG Driving Tips and Tricks (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5989734-How-to-Play-The-DSG-Game-and-Win-DSG-Driving-Tips-and-Tricks)

I have had 4 DSG/S tronic cars. The secret in my mind is to anticipate what is required next- especially when accelerating otherwise you can easily fall into the 'holes' or sometimes described as WTF moments. Don't ignore the paddles - they are your friends and a quick flick or two (generally much faster than get a car to kick down when mashing the pedal) will keep you in the sweet spot at all times. Even if it set in drive be ready and willing to jump on the paddles.

It is an automated manual not an automatic - so be ready to intervene when you need to just like you would do in manual.

latearrival
23-02-2017, 01:57 PM
There IS Active lane assist (or steering assist) to keep you in lane when going 70km or faster. Under that speed it does not keep you in lane. So I guess traffic jam assist is only braking/accelerating but no steering/lane keep. So it's really just acc.

Thanks for clearing that up for me

TungstenR
23-02-2017, 02:52 PM
@Gladbach; I read in the cons you mention that there is no active lane assist. I've actually tested the lane assist by taking my hands off the wheel, the car does actively steer to keep inside the lane/on the road, and after a little while I got the message to please take control of the wheel.

One more thing in the pros would be the HUD (in NZ), as it keeps my eyes focussed on distance, instead of focussing from close to far and vice versa. It also shows when Lane Assist can actually read the lanes (lines) or not, and if you're getting (too) close to the car in front of you, with or without ACC.

kacak
23-02-2017, 03:46 PM
@Gladbach; I read in the cons you mention that there is no active lane assist. I've actually tested the lane assist by taking my hands off the wheel, the car does actively steer to keep inside the lane/on the road, and after a little while I got the message to please take control of the wheel.

One more thing in the pros would be the HUD (in NZ), as it keeps my eyes focussed on distance, instead of focussing from close to far and vice versa. It also shows when Lane Assist can actually read the lanes (lines) or not, and if you're getting (too) close to the car in front of you, with or without ACC.

From my understanding, and also reading the manual, Active Lane Assist is an additional option in the Settings which we don't get. Apparently it keeps you in the centre of the lane, rather than kicking in only when your car sways towards a lane marking. In my own testing (above 65km/h of course), the car basically steers itself and "bounces" between the lane markings rather than hold steady in the middle as you would normally do [emoji3]

TungstenR
23-02-2017, 04:03 PM
Thanks kacak, I'll have to check that later then, as the options in NZ are slightly different then in OZ.

cvee
23-02-2017, 04:10 PM
From my understanding, and also reading the manual, Active Lane Assist is an additional option in the Settings which we don't get. Apparently it keeps you in the centre of the lane, rather than kicking in only when your car sways towards a lane marking. In my own testing (above 65km/h of course), the car basically steers itself and "bounces" between the lane markings rather than hold steady in the middle as you would normally do [emoji3]

Active lane assist is what it is.
Tiguan has it with dap.... and I believe most cars drive like a bowling bowl down the lane with the lane guards up.

Very few cars with current tech drive down the centre of the lane.
The Tiguans in Europe should not be different.

Gladbach
23-02-2017, 04:23 PM
Active lane assist is what it is.
Very few cars with current tech drive down the centre of the lane.
The Tiguans in Europe should not be different.

Except they are.

From the UK manual:

Traffic Jam Assist function
At speeds under 60 km/h (35 mph) Traffic Jam Assist can maintain a time interval, set by the driver, to a vehicle in front, and help the
vehicle to stay in lane ⇒ .
The system automatically controls acceleration, braking, steering and, if required, will decelerate to a stop behind a vehicle that is
stopping, and then drive away again automatically.

AND

Adaptive Lane Guidance
When adaptive lane guidance is active ⇒ Activating or deactivating adaptive lane guidance , the lane keeping system does not just
provide assistance when the vehicle is at risk of leaving the lane. If the system detects both lane markings to the left and right of the
vehicle, the function provides permanent assistance while the vehicle is in motion.
The system adopts the preferred position within the lane in which the vehicle is travelling. For example, if the vehicle is being driven
slightly off-centre in the lane, the system will learn to adopt the new position within a short period of time.

vwnc
23-02-2017, 04:41 PM
Start with this.....
VWVortex.com - How to Play The DSG Game, and Win - DSG Driving Tips and Tricks (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5989734-How-to-Play-The-DSG-Game-and-Win-DSG-Driving-Tips-and-Tricks)

I have had 4 DSG/S tronic cars. The secret in my mind is to anticipate what is required next- especially when accelerating otherwise you can easily fall into the 'holes' or sometimes described as WTF moments. Don't ignore the paddles - they are your friends and a quick flick or two (generally much faster than get a car to kick down when mashing the pedal) will keep you in the sweet spot at all times. Even if it set in drive be ready and willing to jump on the paddles.

It is an automated manual not an automatic - so be ready to intervene when you need to just like you would do in manual.

thanks so much mate!

latearrival
23-02-2017, 04:44 PM
Such an emotional roller-coaster this afternoon! Learning of all the features that my yet-to-arrive car has that I didn't think it did this morning, but soon after to realise that those features are not as good as they could be ;)

Pros - Has Active Lane Assist (even though it makes the car 'bounce' from one side of the lane to the other) and the ACC does work at low speeds (in traffic jams).

Cons - Won't keep itself centred in the lane in slow moving traffic or on the freeway (Traffic Jam Assist and Adaptive Lane Guidance). Doesn't have a HUD.

(NZ version has HUD, Traffic Jam Assist and Adaptive Lane Guidance).

TungstenR
23-02-2017, 04:48 PM
The specifications on my car and the owner's manual say it has both Adaptive Lane Guidance and Traffic Jam Assist.

Oh, and it has HUD... ;-)

kacak
23-02-2017, 04:51 PM
Apologies if I confused things, just referred to the manual the additional setting I was thinking of is called "Adaptive Lane Guidance" as gladbach rightly pointed out above. But the point remains, it's yet another feature we don't get in Oz [emoji23]

latearrival
23-02-2017, 04:57 PM
The specifications on my car and the owner's manual say it has both Adaptive Lane Guidance and Traffic Jam Assist.

Oh, and it has HUD... ;-)

Not content with being one of the most beautiful countries in the world, having proper mountains to ski on, and a complete lack of poisonous snakes, you have to get all the new car features that we can't get here too. Jealous.

TungstenR
23-02-2017, 05:08 PM
Ah, we do have poisonous snakes, and what's more, here they wear suits and ties!

cvee
23-02-2017, 09:35 PM
Apologies if I confused things, just referred to the manual the additional setting I was thinking of is called "Adaptive Lane Guidance" as gladbach rightly pointed out above. But the point remains, it's yet another feature we don't get in Oz [emoji23]

This is frustrating.
I just indicated that we did have active lane assist over 70km/h
I was unaware that Europe and NZ get the Traffic Jam Assist.

You would think it's only software that's missing for this functionality.
We need a jailbreak community for the VW/Tiguan

Gladbach
24-02-2017, 09:05 AM
In all honesty, ACC seems to work well in stop start traffic, and steering is not really much of an issue. For me, I like not having to constantly switch between accelerator and brake. I've tried it on a test drive, and liked it, but I haven't used it day to day (still waiting for mine to arrive).

cvee
24-02-2017, 09:07 AM
Just revisiting the whole traffic jam assist issue. I have been on the UK website checking out the Tiguan model range. They certainly have more base configs with many options. Here we do have a simpler config with more stuff included by default. I would however like some of their optional extras like a Pet pack or massage seats. [emoji12]. Going back to Traffic Jam Assist I could NOT see this as a standard feature or option for the Tiguan. I believe it is in the Passat. Maybe it's an option in Germany? I don't speak/read German so can't really check.

Gladbach
24-02-2017, 09:18 AM
Just revisiting the whole traffic jam assist issue. I have been on the UK website checking out the Tiguan model range. They certainly have more base configs with many options. Here we do have a simpler config with more stuff included by default. I would however like some of their optional extras like a Pet pack or massage seats. [emoji12]. Going back to Traffic Jam Assist I could NOT see this as a standard feature or option for the Tiguan. I believe it is in the Passat. Maybe it's an option in Germany? I don't speak/read German so can't really check.

The seats that they get with the R-Line look really nice. For TJA, it's in the UK manual so it seems that at minimum it is an option.

cvee
24-02-2017, 09:41 AM
The seats that they get with the R-Line look really nice. For TJA, it's in the UK manual so it seems that at minimum it is an option.

Don't forget that the manuals can be generic with features included across a range of their cars. It may be listed under the driver assist.. but only available in some cars. I believe it's in Passat.

Does anyone have a full link to the UK owners manual?
Also checked NZ VW site and there is no specific mention in specs of TJA.

latearrival
24-02-2017, 10:36 AM
This is frustrating.
We need a jailbreak community for the VW/Tiguan

Isn't that what this sub-forum is for? http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f153/

jtan9695
24-02-2017, 11:12 AM
Is the eco mode really that weak?

Im travelling on lane cove tunnel and i nearly planted my foot all the way down but still dont feel the acceleration that is needed to go above 75. Needed a few good seconds before it reacts.

I believe switching to eco or normal mode will overcome this problem. Am i right?

Im on 162tsi btw

cvee
24-02-2017, 11:33 AM
Isn't that what this sub-forum is for? http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f153/

I guess it kinda is.
Will need to check it out.

Chocolate_Bear
25-02-2017, 11:20 AM
Is the eco mode really that weak?

Im travelling on lane cove tunnel and i nearly planted my foot all the way down but still dont feel the acceleration that is needed to go above 75. Needed a few good seconds before it reacts.

I believe switching to eco or normal mode will overcome this problem. Am i right?

Im on 162tsi btw

You mean switching to sports mode or normal mode? Sports for sure will make the difference

Tiguan 162tsi rline (May 2017) - NSW, Northern Beaches

JB286
26-02-2017, 12:52 PM
Been away from the forums for a bit because of work and sport but have now put 2000k's on the clock and figured I could contribute to this thread.

Cons
The DSG lag between 1000 and 2000 RPMs is really annoying. I am sure it will take some time for me to adapt but when I try to accelerate or add some gentle power it feels very sluggish and slow to respond. Then once it hits 2000 RPM it accelerates very quickly and with a bit of a lurch. This is in Normal drive mode but Sport mode sometimes has this as well.
Gear selection of the DSG is slightly annoying. When I go to turn corners it sometimes has 3rd gear selected despite the RPM's being quite low. Then as I go to accelerate out of the corner it has to downshift and there is a delay until the RPM's spool up again.
The infotainment system is terrible. Loading up the navigation system can take around 3-4 minutes until it decides where you are and it won't let you enter a destination in while this is happening. If a phone is connected by USB just after starting the car, it takes forever to get music playing and to start Apple Car Play. If the system was playing Bluetooth music when the car was shut down then it takes a very long time to get any sort of music playing the next time and it actually defaults back to looking for music out of the AUX port. Compared to other systems I have used it is extremely slow and frustrating.
Related to the infotainment system is that in the AID when Apple Car Play is selected and Music is playing, it doesn't show track name or artist. It just says Apple Car Play and is pretty much useless. When Apple CarPlay does initialise, getting back to the menu screen when you go to Nav or Car is way more confusing than it needs to be as well.

I don't know what processor or system processes are in the infotainment system but it is well below par for the price point of the car and who they are trying to compete against. In this day and age these types of systems should just work and work seamlessly.

Sensors are so inaccurately calibrated that I don't even bother using them anymore. I trust my mirrors and the camera.

Pros
Sport mode - enough said. Wish I could keep it there all the time
Space - Boot is a great size and the different configurations makes it so versatile. I spent 2 hours in the back seat these weekend and found it very comfortable and the tray tables perfect for doing work on a laptop
Ride comfort - Even in Sport mode, it is very comfortable and liveable throughout city and/or highway driving.
Active Cruise Control - Amazing, great for stop start traffic and even better with highway driving

Overall the infotainment issues are really annoying me as is the DSG lag, it hasn't lived up to the expectations I had of the car but it certainly is still a good car.

Gladbach
26-02-2017, 01:01 PM
Been away from the forums for a bit because of work and sport but have now put 2000k's on the clock and figured I could contribute to this thread.

Cons
The DSG lag between 1000 and 2000 RPMs is really annoying. I am sure it will take some time for me to adapt but when I try to accelerate or add some gentle power it feels very sluggish and slow to respond. Then once it hits 2000 RPM it accelerates very quickly and with a bit of a lurch. This is in Normal drive mode but Sport mode sometimes has this as well.
Gear selection of the DSG is slightly annoying. When I go to turn corners it sometimes has 3rd gear selected despite the RPM's being quite low. Then as I go to accelerate out of the corner it has to downshift and there is a delay until the RPM's spool up again.
The infotainment system is terrible. Loading up the navigation system can take around 3-4 minutes until it decides where you are and it won't let you enter a destination in while this is happening. If a phone is connected by USB just after starting the car, it takes forever to get music playing and to start Apple Car Play. If the system was playing Bluetooth music when the car was shut down then it takes a very long time to get any sort of music playing the next time and it actually defaults back to looking for music out of the AUX port. Compared to other systems I have used it is extremely slow and frustrating.
Related to the infotainment system is that in the AID when Apple Car Play is selected and Music is playing, it doesn't show track name or artist. It just says Apple Car Play and is pretty much useless. When Apple CarPlay does initialise, getting back to the menu screen when you go to Nav or Car is way more confusing than it needs to be as well.

I don't know what processor or system processes are in the infotainment system but it is well below par for the price point of the car and who they are trying to compete against. In this day and age these types of systems should just work and work seamlessly.

Sensors are so inaccurately calibrated that I don't even bother using them anymore. I trust my mirrors and the camera.

Pros
Sport mode - enough said. Wish I could keep it there all the time
Space - Boot is a great size and the different configurations makes it so versatile. I spent 2 hours in the back seat these weekend and found it very comfortable and the tray tables perfect for doing work on a laptop
Ride comfort - Even in Sport mode, it is very comfortable and liveable throughout city and/or highway driving.
Active Cruise Control - Amazing, great for stop start traffic and even better with highway driving

Overall the infotainment issues are really annoying me as is the DSG lag, it hasn't lived up to the expectations I had of the car but it certainly is still a good car.

Thanks for the feedback.
Which variant do you have?

cvee
26-02-2017, 01:04 PM

Which engine do you have?
I love real user experience posts.
There are things you can only know after living with them for a while.

Disappointed to hear about the Infotainment system which I've always been unsure about.

Delewin
26-02-2017, 02:28 PM
I don't know if this affects our series 2 Tiguans but I came across a Series 1 Tiguan stuck at a petrol pump. Apparently he had a flat battery and the electric hand brake was jammed on. He could not put it into neutral and release the hand brake to roll it away from the pump. He was stuck there until the NRMA came with a set of jumper leads.

Are we going to have the same trouble if we get a flat battery?

dinot81
26-02-2017, 04:04 PM
I have a series 1 - 2015 Tiguan 130TDI and tested the release of electric handbrake and putting car in Neutral by only having ignition + pressing brake pedal and works. Maybe battery didn't have enough juice to perform the job.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

tigger73
26-02-2017, 07:24 PM
I don't know if this affects our series 2 Tiguans but I came across a Series 1 Tiguan stuck at a petrol pump. Apparently he had a flat battery and the electric hand brake was jammed on. He could not put it into neutral and release the hand brake to roll it away from the pump. He was stuck there until the NRMA came with a set of jumper leads.

Are we going to have the same trouble if we get a flat battery?

Yes it's a fact of electronic hand brakes and flat batteries. Would happen the same to a Mazda, Subaru, BMW or any other car that has an electronic park brake.

JB286
27-02-2017, 09:26 AM
Which engine do you have?
I love real user experience posts.
There are things you can only know after living with them for a while.

Disappointed to hear about the Infotainment system which I've always been unsure about.

I have the 162TSI with R Line Pack, the infotainment system is certainly a big con in my opinion but hopefully this can be resolved with software updates.

I know that the upcoming iOS 10.3 will have some changes to the Car Play interface, hopefully there are a couple of other improvements

theresanothersteve
28-02-2017, 07:29 AM
Yes it's a fact of electronic hand brakes and flat batteries. Would happen the same to a Mazda, Subaru, BMW or any other car that has an electronic park brake.Not a Landrover Discovery! They have a removable cover that, once removed, lets you access a release mechanism...

vwnc
28-02-2017, 01:37 PM
Cons
The infotainment system is terrible. Loading up the navigation system can take around 3-4 minutes until it decides where you are and it won't let you enter a destination in while this is happening. If a phone is connected by USB just after starting the car, it takes forever to get music playing and to start Apple Car Play.

Thanks for sharing! Out of interest, are you using an aftermarket lightning cord or an Apple cord?This may not be correct, however I have heard it may make a difference as Apple gives preference to branded accessories...? Does anyone know if this is true?
Annoying to hear the MBii is poorly executed. This will be my first VW... I am not looking forward to living with the interface... it was already annoying me on the test drive.

Can you receive software updates from the dealer? If so, what are the release cycles?

vwnc
28-02-2017, 01:39 PM
Cons
Apple Car Play.

..also, what model iphone are you using?
Not sure if this makes a difference.

JB286
28-02-2017, 07:01 PM
..also, what model iphone are you using?
Not sure if this makes a difference.

I have an iPhone 7 and (pretty sure) I am using a 50cm Apple branded USB-A to Lightning Cable that I got from the Apple Store.

I have heard that the cables can impact it so I might try some other MFi cables I have lying around. The 50cm one is a perfect length though. I also wonder if it can be impacted by when I plug the phone in, as in at what stage of the infotainment's initialisation, and see if that impacts it.

It is extremely annoying, I was hoping it would be a lot more instantaneous so that I can be playing my music from my phone from where I left off when I shut the car down rather than waiting for it to re-connect and start up again. Throw in the change to the rear view camera which interrupts the start up process and it can be close to 5 minutes before I get to hear any music after starting up.

The Apple Car Play setup is actually more annoying at the moment than useful and ideally I would prefer to just stream music rather than plugin, hopefully this changes.

Would be keen to hear of anyone else's experiences.

vwnc
28-02-2017, 07:23 PM
I have an iPhone 7 and (pretty sure) I am using a 50cm Apple branded USB-A to Lightning Cable that I got from the Apple Store.

I have heard that the cables can impact it so I might try some other MFi cables I have lying around. The 50cm one is a perfect length though. I also wonder if it can be impacted by when I plug the phone in, as in at what stage of the infotainment's initialisation, and see if that impacts it.

It is extremely annoying, I was hoping it would be a lot more instantaneous so that I can be playing my music from my phone from where I left off when I shut the car down rather than waiting for it to re-connect and start up again. Throw in the change to the rear view camera which interrupts the start up process and it can be close to 5 minutes before I get to hear any music after starting up.

The Apple Car Play setup is actually more annoying at the moment than useful and ideally I would prefer to just stream music rather than plugin, hopefully this changes.

Would be keen to hear of anyone else's experiences.

solid feedback! Yes would be great to hear the outcome of a few more tests... or other experiences (this will be my first vw, so not much to add yet). Either way, 5 mins is unacceptable... it takes me 10 to get to work!

Delewin
28-02-2017, 09:07 PM
Does anyone have any experiences with Android auto and Samsung S7 phones?

Gladbach
28-02-2017, 09:11 PM
Does anyone have any experiences with Android auto and Samsung S7 phones?

I tested my Nexus 5 with the Tiguan at the dealership and it seemed to work perfectly. No delay in the audio starting or anything like what has been reported with the iPhones.

Gladbach
28-02-2017, 09:12 PM
solid feedback! Yes would be great to hear the outcome of a few more tests... or other experiences (this will be my first vw, so not much to add yet). Either way, 5 mins is unacceptable... it takes me 10 to get to work!

So you have the same issue with an iPhone and Apple Car play?

Regdop
02-03-2017, 07:04 PM
Does anyone know if it possible to change the voice in the navigation program. For me she definitely is a con...

kacak
02-03-2017, 07:23 PM
Does anyone know if it possible to change the voice in the navigation program. For me she definitely is a con...

If I recall correctly, in the menu settings, you could choose either a male or female voice.

Regdop
03-03-2017, 07:51 AM
If I recall correctly, in the menu settings, you could choose either a male or female voice.

Ive trawled through all the menus, I must be missing it somehow?

Ozsko
03-03-2017, 05:39 PM
Ok, this is what I believe based on test drive, research and other people's comments.
There IS Active lane assist (or steering assist) to keep you in lane when going 70km or faster.

Under that speed it does not keep you in lane. So I guess traffic jam assist is only braking/accelerating but no steering/lane keep. So it's really just acc.

I have been driving my car for a few weeks now and this is what I have learned...

TJA requires active lane assist and Australian cars do not have this at any speed. The lane assist activated in Oz cars is not designated active, the active system calculates and assesses where the car sits in the lane, the type of lane system fitted to Oz cars allows the car to move across the lane until it is nearly on the line and then attempts to steer the car parallel to the line. The active system reads both lines and holds the car equidistant between them not allowing the car to wander. ALA is a proactive system and LA is a reactive system might be the best way to term the differences. TJA actively steers the car as well as starts/stops the car and maintains the distance set from the car in front. It requires no driver input at all where ACC requires a reset command or throttle movement after 3 seconds stationary time and does not steer the car at all. TJA is only active below 37KPH and the system fitted to Oz cars only works above that speed. I regard the system fitted to the OZ Tiguan as more of a gimmick than anything else.

Delewin
03-03-2017, 06:32 PM
Is there additional hardware required to have RAJ active or do we only need a firmware update?

Delewin
03-03-2017, 06:33 PM
I hate predictive text. @#$%€¥_$-@÷5//

TAJ should be TJA. [emoji33]

Ozsko
03-03-2017, 07:01 PM
As far as us owners know and guess new hardware is required but one really knows what is fitted to the OZ cars. It could be a software activation issue but there is so little written about the system everyone is guessing. The cars that do have it fitted in Oz are the Skoda Superb, Some Audis and the Passat. My betting is that the cameras fitted to the Tiguan are the wrong type needed to make it work but I would love to be proven wrong. I came across a story somewhere on the net where an owner had bought a new camera and a windscreen plus whatever else was needed to enable it on his Audi, I have no link but it might be found with a Google search.

Delewin
03-03-2017, 09:43 PM
I'm sure we would love it to be a software update only.

REGS12
09-04-2017, 10:29 AM
We waited patiently for a long time for our 162 to arrive and after 2000kms we are pleased with our choice.
Like the leather seats with lots of settings as well as remembering how big I am compared to my wife. Delighted with the headlights, after suffering inferior VW lights for 4 previous cars. Really like the refinement when cruising and overall quality of the car.

Disappointed with the horrible sound of the engine. It is awful. Hard to believe it's identical to the GTI. It goes ok, but I would like to see a proper road tester get to 100kmh in 6.5 seconds. The lane guidance...... well I turned it off because it was unable to define the lines correctly, therefore tugging at the wheel when it was not supposed to. I find the steering to be slightly vague on centre, which makes it less relaxing to hold a straight line on the freeway. Maybe that's just me, but I do like a car to feel stable on centre.
Despite being a little critical, I am still a happy customer and enjoy the car.

Mac135
09-04-2017, 11:50 AM
We waited patiently for a long time for our 162 to arrive and after 2000kms we are pleased with our choice.
Like the leather seats with lots of settings as well as remembering how big I am compared to my wife. Delighted with the headlights, after suffering inferior VW lights for 4 previous cars. Really like the refinement when cruising and overall quality of the car.

Disappointed with the horrible sound of the engine. It is awful. Hard to believe it's identical to the GTI. It goes ok, but I would like to see a proper road tester get to 100kmh in 6.5 seconds. The lane guidance...... well I turned it off because it was unable to define the lines correctly, therefore tugging at the wheel when it was not supposed to. I find the steering to be slightly vague on centre, which makes it less relaxing to hold a straight line on the freeway. Maybe that's just me, but I do like a car to feel stable on centre.
Despite being a little critical, I am still a happy customer and enjoy the car.

you are about 500km ahead of us, just clicked ove 1,500. Like you have turned off the lane guidance and turned down all the beepers etc. seriously the car was having its own panic attacks. I think we overestimated just how GTI was going to be. The engine is the same but.....
ihad the same experience when test driving a Passat R line- same motor as the Golf R but a completely different driving result. It is not a 'sporting' SUV just a slightly quicker one. Overall very happy with ours with no major short comings.

TungstenR
09-04-2017, 04:12 PM
I had a car in front of me driving up the highway, I followed, when it suddenly slammed the brakes. It was fascinating to see that the emergency brakes warning already lighted up a fraction of a second before I had touched the brakes...

Gladbach
28-04-2017, 03:53 PM
Added "Passenger seat folds flat for more load space if required." as a Pro. Pretty cool feature, I can imagine doing this when loading in a Christmas tree!

Delewin
28-04-2017, 04:14 PM
Or the MIL in the back seat. [emoji12]