PDA

View Full Version : Finance rate ?

theitchy
16-02-2017, 08:37 PM
Hi,

Today finance guy at VW call my wife asking whether we are going to use their finance or not? Im not really good at these. Is there any suggestion at all because as i ve come to know, rates always change with car finance. Thank you

tigger73
16-02-2017, 09:08 PM
The only way to compare finance is to look at the monthly/fortnightly repayments over the same period.

It doesn't hurt to get a quote. I've found the dealer finance is often pretty competitive.

shanelord
16-02-2017, 09:29 PM
VW finance also have the guaranteed buy back.

At agreed amount of years you can hand the keys back and if market value is lower than residual they cover it. If market value is higher you get it in your pocket.

https://www.volkswagen.com.au/en/ways-to-buy/volkswagen-choice.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dinot81
16-02-2017, 09:47 PM
I got mine through Toyota Finance and bought a VW lol. Dealer has VW, Toyota, Skoda under one roof and was financed through Toyota as they had a special rate and lower than my homeloan rate. Should switch that one to Toyota. They also look at your personal situation to assess the rate. Anything is possible, shop around.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

IsDon
17-02-2017, 06:39 AM
Be carful!

https://youtu.be/W5cukcs_4r8

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dutch77
17-02-2017, 07:02 AM
Generally if the vehicle can be signed off with predominant business use then the business finance rates will be competitive with home loan rates as they won't be covered by the consumer credit code.

Tuan
17-02-2017, 10:29 AM
When comparing, don't look at the rate being offered as different financiers use different methods of calculating this so it makes cross shopping very hard to compare. Make sure you compare like to like between financiers i.e. same term/residual and take into consideration the set up fee and monthly repayments (including monthly fees if any).

They won't tell you these things, if you don't ask.

Gladbach
17-02-2017, 12:01 PM
These days I tend to use cash from my home loan offset account (that way I'm effectively getting home loan rates), but the last time I got a car loan I reviewed a whole bunch of loans using a site like this:

http://www.infochoice.com.au/personal-loans/car-loan/interest-rate-comparison/

It's a good site, it's not a brokering service, simply displays data for comparison. It shows loans from pretty much every financial institution available with their interest rate. Also, on the features tab it shows the application fee, monthly fee and early exit fee if applicable. It's an easy way to quickly find the best loan deal without having to phone around.

Untick "Show sponsored listings first" at the bottom of the page to make sure you make decision based on facts only ;-)

When I got my loan back in 2006 it was far, far better than what the dealer's finance could offer.

Tuan
17-02-2017, 01:15 PM
Yes using the home loan is a great option, if you have a home loan and you are able to draw some equity out of it.

A novated lease is an even better option if you're able to get it though work.

Dutch77
17-02-2017, 01:32 PM
Home loan options work if the buyer is diligent and ups their repayments to knock it off in the required time - if not can be a good idea to take out a supplementary loan; still same rate but at least they can treat it is a car loan. Given your mortgage these days should be in the 3s it's a good option particularly if you can't access the business products.

The problem with any comparison site is they won't feature every product, and just like home loans all you usually need to do is ask and the fees and rates can be cut by material amounts.

Novated lease can work for some but it's always good to crunch the numbers first to make sure you're actually ahead on it.

Gladbach
17-02-2017, 01:32 PM
Yes using the home loan is a great option, if you have a home loan and you are able to draw some equity out of it.

A novated lease is an even better option if you're able to get it though work.

I've looked at a novated lease before (am entitled) but I don't do enough business related km's to make it worthwhile, just end up getting hit with FBT.

Gladbach
17-02-2017, 01:35 PM
Home loan options work if the buyer is diligent and ups their repayments to knock it off in the required time - if not can be a good idea to take out a supplementary loan; still same rate but at least they can treat it is a car loan. Given your mortgage these days should be in the 3s it's a good option particularly if you can't access the business products.

I'm my case, I'm literally withdrawing funds from my offset account, not redrawing from the homeloan.

Dutch77
17-02-2017, 01:36 PM
I'm my case, I'm literally withdrawing funds from my offset account, not redrawing from the homeloan.

Always a good way to go - sorry my comment I guess was also aimed more generally. Although offset funds are ultimately equity, so the same rules could be applied.

Tuan
17-02-2017, 01:41 PM
I've looked at a novated lease before (am entitled) but I don't do enough business related km's to make it worthwhile, just end up getting hit with FBT.

The rules are now that FBT is a flat 20% using the statutory method (not operating cost method) i.e. the stat method does not take into account business use.

Dutch77
17-02-2017, 01:51 PM
The rules are now that FBT is a flat 20% using the statutory method (not operating cost method) i.e. the stat method does not take into account business use.

Correct - the idea is (in simple terms) you use a pay deduction to reimburse/offset the FBT that would be payable on the balance and for cheaper cars you can usually finish ahead. The higher up you go the worse it gets, especially once you crack the luxury car threshold. But always best to analyse it and speak to someone who knows if you don't.

Tuan
17-02-2017, 02:13 PM
The OP has many finance options now :)

Dutch77
17-02-2017, 02:56 PM
The OP has many finance options now :)

No excuse not to get that new Tig now. :)

Vwvw1212
18-02-2017, 02:58 PM
The only way to compare finance is to look at the monthly/fortnightly repayments over the same period.

It doesn't hurt to get a quote. I've found the dealer finance is often pretty competitive.
Great advice. I am a mortgage broker so know a bit about this area :) don't worry much about the rate 4% or 4.5% doesn't make much difference with a small car loan mostly few dollars a month. The fees are what counts and could end up $500/$1000 etc so look at application fee, any dealer fees and setup fees these can be all waived. As for warranty and insurance, back at my BMW finance days there was 100% markup so $2000 extended warranty really only is $1000. Too much room to negotiate!

Transporter
18-02-2017, 03:41 PM

...or the total amount repaid. :)

Pzero
26-05-2017, 08:16 AM
Hi guys, I'm wondering for those who got vw finance for the Tiguan in 2017, what rates were you offered? Especially interested in Sydney based purchases.