PDA

View Full Version : which glue?

Jarred
10-01-2008, 09:23 AM
seeing as tho i've taken off all the seals and stuff on my car (76 mk 1) to move the lining and etc, is there any specific glue to stick these back in place, or just good old selly's or superglue?

anyone know?

KI11Z
10-01-2008, 10:46 AM
which seals would this be?

Jarred
10-01-2008, 12:00 PM
all the window seals and the door seals too. I need to glue them (the doors seals) back on too come to think of it.

I need a glue to pop the headlining back onto the metal basically.

Peter Jones
10-01-2008, 12:28 PM
Get a tin of Kwikgrip or Gelgrip from Bunnings. It'll do for everything including the carpets. Don't bother with tubes go straight for a tin of the stuff.

Use in a well ventilated space or shut the doors and get the high of your life.(and possibly dead too:().

I prefer the Gelgrip because it hangs on vertical surfaces well.

Buy a cheap pack of plastic scrapers to apply it with.

Gelgrip is very similar to the original adhesives, it dries that yellow/brown colour and is not so strong that you can't pull it off later on. It sort of stays rubbery too. The smell will go away in a day or too and leave you with a faint odour of new car smell.:D

The windscreen and hatch glass seals don't need to be glued unless they leak. In that case you use proper windscreen sealant which you should be able to get from autobarn/repco/bursons etc.

Do not use super glue, it will attack your paint and is impossible to remove later on.

Pete

Jarred
10-01-2008, 01:49 PM
alright cheers pete. I'm gonna get a new windscreen put in anyways i think (jims windscreens, $220 installed) get the pros to pop that one back in i thinks.