PDA

View Full Version : Petrol or Diesel Engine VW Tiguan - 140TDI 162TSI?

spicyrambutan
12-02-2017, 11:40 AM
Hi Fellow VDubbers,

I am in the market for a new MY17 Tiguan R-Line and am debating whether to go for the 140TDI or the 162TSI.

I have read a number of reviews about the two variants and the differences in performance. I am more interested in fuel economy as a primary requirement and performance is secondary. I understand that the 162TSI engine is similar (or equivalent) to the high performance engine in the GTI Golf.

I have never owned a diesel vehicle before. I'm currently driving an 2003 2.0L Golf Sports.

I only drive relatively low kilometres only on weekends, with the occasional country / long distance drive maybe once every few weeks.

One of the dealers I visited yesterday warned me against purchasing the 140 TDI due to issues with the diesel particulate filter (DPF) if I don't allow the vehicle to drive long enough distances for the heat of the engine to clean the filter whilst driving. The dealer explained that regular short distance driving in a diesel without doing long distances often is a recipe for disaster as the engine life will be shortened and I would be up for expensive repairs. Is this a real issue for the latest Tiguan TDI models?

I notice that the 162TSI appears to be more popular than the 140TDI, according to what I am reading in the forums. Is it because of this factor, or mainly due to the greater performance of the petrol engine?

I look forward to the advice of my learned friends! Thanks.

SpicyRambutan

P.S. Any tips on the best deals received will be much appreciated! I see that the deals received a few weeks and months ago may not be so easy to get now due to the scarecity or stock and the long order wait times.

Sokyola
12-02-2017, 12:17 PM
Hi Fellow VDubbers,

I am in the market for a new MY17 Tiguan R-Line and am debating whether to go for the 140TDI or the 162TSI.

I have read a number of reviews about the two variants and the differences in performance. I am more interested in fuel economy as a primary requirement and performance is secondary. I understand that the 162TSI engine is similar (or equivalent) to the high performance engine in the GTI Golf.

I have never owned a diesel vehicle before. I'm currently driving an 2003 2.0L Golf Sports.

I only drive relatively low kilometres only on weekends, with the occasional country / long distance drive maybe once every few weeks.

One of the dealers I visited yesterday warned me against purchasing the 140 TDI due to issues with the diesel particulate filter (DPF) if I don't allow the vehicle to drive long enough distances for the heat of the engine to clean the filter whilst driving. The dealer explained that regular short distance driving in a diesel without doing long distances often is a recipe for disaster as the engine life will be shortened and I would be up for expensive repairs. Is this a real issue for the latest Tiguan TDI models?

I notice that the 162TSI appears to be more popular than the 140TDI, according to what I am reading in the forums. Is it because of this factor, or mainly due to the greater performance of the petrol engine?

SpicyRambutan

P.S. Any tips on the best deals received will be much appreciated! I see that the deals received a few weeks and months ago may not be so easy to get now due to the scarecity or stock and the long order wait times.

If you are driving less than 15-20000ks a year, or worth getting the diesel. You would need to drive that many Km's to benefit from the price difference and money spent on fuel. Yes the diesel drinks less, but the price difference in the car vs the price of fuel, it will take you a good 6-7 years to make that money back. I was contemplating the same thing. But only do 10000kms a year since work is 15 mins from home and just like you would do the occasional long drive mainly to Canberra from sydney, the dealer and I worked it out to take 7 years to recoup the price difference in the vehicle. So ended up going for the 162 over the 140, was also a good $2500 cheaper. Spend it on the active info display and still have change. Definitely get the r line pack. Looks so much better.

Eyes24
12-02-2017, 12:46 PM
Hi Fellow VDubbers,

SpicyRambutan

I was told the same, l have a x-trail Diesel for work as lm a rep, its great on fuel which l get about 930 km avg per 60 lt tank. I'm doing 65 k per year. Dealer told me if l wasn't going to do more than 50k l should get petrol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Transporter
12-02-2017, 01:40 PM
We have 2 Tiguans in family both TDIs and both do very short trips. The 2010 Tig done only 55,000km and the 2012 one done only 25,000km or so. No problems with the DPF at all.

tigger73
12-02-2017, 03:34 PM
I suggest you drive both - preferably back to back.

It used to be that the diesel engines had a ton of low down torque compared to the petrols. I'm not sure if this is due to dieselgate, however it appears that this has been tuned out of the latest diesels and they don't pull quite as strong from low revs.

For example the Gen1 130TDI Tig peak torque of 380Nm was from 1,750-2,500rpm, compared to the 140TDI of 400Nm at 1,900-3,300rpm. Performance specs 0-100 of the 140TDI is quicker, however that's because you spend very little time in the lower rev range.

And when matched to a short-shifting DSG gearbox, the problem with the new 140TDI is that you're not in the torque band in "normal" driving and have to either wait for the DSG to shift or for the revs to pick up to the point that the engine will pull.

Anyway I suggest you drive the cars yourself and make up your own mind as to which engine suits your driving style better. Obviously you pay a premium for the diesel but there may be less of a wait. The petrol is popular for a reason and you'll likely find that it will be sought after as a second-hand vehicle also which whould help (a bit) with resale.

Hillbilly
12-02-2017, 04:16 PM
The optimum way to drive a diesel is get it hot and keep it hot permanently. I only ever drive mine if I am going to go at least for an out and back 40 min drive. It takes over 5 mins to fully warm up.
If you only do a 10-15min run to work I would buy the petrol

Ozsko
12-02-2017, 06:08 PM
I have both a diesel car (Skoda) and a 162 Tiguan and have driven the 140TDI Tiguan. If you are not interested in performance there is no point in buying the 162 because that is what it is all about and it goes very well, surprisingly so and we have a Golf GTI to compare it too. The old diesels prior to the new 140TDI pulled like a train low down but the 140 does not have that feature. Buy a petrol version if you aren't doing heaps of K's, you will be better off. The DPF issue is not such a problem in the later model cars as they have significantly changed the way it is integrated into the cars and this has removed the initial problems they had.

Gladbach
12-02-2017, 06:28 PM
Something not mentioned in this thread (but it is in others) is the adblue requirement for diesel engines as well. In any case, for me, the 162TSI is miles better than the 140TDI. I would have loved to have compared the European bi-turbo diesel against the 162TSI (both 6.5 seconds 0-100) but the 140TDI just seemed lethargic. I would pick the 130TSI over it in a heart beat.

Ozsko
12-02-2017, 06:47 PM
I reckon if the bi turbo diesel had been available here I would have bought it instead of the 162. The one big advantage of a 140 is the range on a tankful. I can get a 1000k's out of the Skoda as I did last week without stopping on a trip and the extra size of the Tiguan tank would be better still. Not that I drive long distances so much any more but for anyone who does it is something to be considered.

Transporter
12-02-2017, 06:48 PM
Some of you guys are mising the point, the OP wants the fuel economy first and the performance second.

On short trips your 162TSI will drink around 11L/100km or even more depends from conditions, where the TDI will sip only around 1/2 of that.

Our 2.0L TDI returns 6.2/100 on everyday 7km one way short trip. Do your math OP, you will start saving money well before you do 50,000km. Also the Diesel engine is much more durable than the TSI, if you decide to keep your TIG forever.

Ozsko
12-02-2017, 06:53 PM
My 162TSI does way better that 11k/100km and no I did not miss the point. Buy a 130, it costs way less that a 162 or a diesel.

cvee
12-02-2017, 09:21 PM
Hi Fellow VDubbers,

SpicyRambutan

I thought I wanted a Diesel for fuel economy and stronger engine blah blah blah. I drove the 140TDI and 162TSI and the 162 just felt better to me. I'm not after performance either and I've always been a petrol driver.... so maybe it's just what I've been used to. Diesel engines are also not the cleanest.... even new diesels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

spicyrambutan
12-02-2017, 10:07 PM
Some of you guys are mising the point, the OP wants the fuel economy first and the performance second.

On short trips your 162TSI will drink around 11L/100km or even more depends from conditions, where the TDI will sip only around 1/2 of that.

Our 2.0L TDI returns 6.2/100 on everyday 7km one way short trip. Do your math OP, you will start saving money well before you do 50,000km. Also the Diesel engine is much more durable than the TSI, if you decide to keep your TIG forever.

Will the TDI engine remain more durable with a longer lifespan than the TSI engine based on a driving pattern of mainly short trips on weekends with only the occasional long trip once every few weeks, considering the requirements for regular long drives with the Diesel Particulate Filter?

REXman
12-02-2017, 10:21 PM
Mate don't over think it.

The diesel will get you more KMs per tank.

The petrol motor drives better.

Which do you need more?

Transporter
12-02-2017, 10:39 PM
Mate don't over think it.

The diesel will get you more KMs per tank.

The petrol motor drives better.

Which do you need more?

It depends, ....if I'm going to tow the caravan with 4 people through the hills and at 110km/h on highway, I rather have the TDI under the bonnet, it will drive better. I hate to even think what the fuel consumption would be under these circumstances with the TSI. ;)
Or which would last longer? :)

Oh, and as far as the extra cost for the diesel engine? If you pay your car monthly, then you pay less for the fuel every months, which will offset the extra cost. Plus the TDI should retain value better than TSI. Both can be tuned to get more power and again the extra power should be less taxing on the TDI.

spicyrambutan
12-02-2017, 10:57 PM
It depends, ....if I'm going to tow the caravan with 4 people through the hills and at 110km/h on highway, I rather have the TDI under the bonnet, it will drive better. I hate to even think what the fuel consumption would be under these circumstances with the TSI. ;)
Or which would last longer? :)

Oh, and as far as the extra cost for the diesel engine? If you pay your car monthly, then you pay less for the fuel every months, which will offset the extra cost. Plus the TDI should retain value better than TSI. Both can be tuned to get more power and again the extra power should be less taxing on the TDI.

I'm not planning on towing a boat or caravan, and I will be doing more inner city stop/start and suburban driving than country / freeway driving.

Transporter
13-02-2017, 06:34 AM
I'm not planning on towing a boat or caravan, and I will be doing more inner city stop/start and suburban driving than country / freeway driving.

I'm sorry, I only replied to comment that TSI drives better. Wanted to point out that not in all situations the TSI drives better.

But, not everyone gets an "Ok" fuel economy when driving petrol engined car in the city, whereas the TDI will return very good fuel economy under all driving conditions for any driver.

I wish you luck with your decision, I'm sure that you'll be happy with the either. :)

druster
16-02-2017, 09:27 PM
Was told by the dealership that it's best to drive atleast 20km on freeway weekly with TDI engine to clean the engine. If you manage to do that on a weekly basis then could have more maintenance issues? Seems like old traditional advice but still worth considering

dlotters
17-02-2017, 11:15 AM
I chose the 140TDI. I'm averaging 6.5l/100km on shorter trips around the Inner West of Sydney and 5.4l/100km on longer stretches down the M5 (I have to do a 100km round trip every couple of weeks). This is my first diesel engine and having had it since early December I'm really happy with it. I tend to fluctuate between "normal" and "sport" modes when around town and flick it over to "eco" on longer roads (I do notice the car's acceleration from a stand still is more lethargic in eco mode). Honestly, I hardly notice any hesitation when in the other modes - it drives really well and there's never any hesitation when over-taking.

Some rough calculations based on diesel and pulp prices as well as approximate distances per tank for my particular driving usage sees the diesel coming in between $1000-$1500 per year cheaper in fuel on 20,000km per year. I didn't include other costs such as adblue (diesel only expense) or servicing costs (diesel is cheaper). My intention is to hold onto the car for around 5 years so that works for me.

That figure is specific to me and will differ for others but, to me, that meant the $1500 difference between the 140TDI and the 162TSI was effectively nullified after the 12-18 months.

For those saying the 132TSI - you can't get that in a highline so it's entirely irrelevant, the only comparison available in our market is 140TDI vs 162TSI.

It's really hard to give advice on this kind of question because there's so many variables to individual driving circumstances and preferences which should have far more bearing on which engine to go with so take each opinion, mine included, with a grain of salt and test drive both and choose.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with either as it really is an awesome car - particularly with the R-Line option :D

Aus_fas
18-02-2017, 10:55 AM
I chose the 140TDI. I'm averaging 6.5l/100km on shorter trips around the Inner West of Sydney and 5.4l/100km on longer stretches down the M5 (I have to do a 100km round trip every couple of weeks).

Mine (140TDI) is still on first tank filled from dealership and my long term is 8.9:rolleyes:
Even I rest the consumption still 8.7. I have a 10km patch on 100km/h every day on a 25 km journey each way. Definitely not happy with consupmtion.
Not sure why its so bad.

The only reason I bought TDI over TSI was consumption and here I am.:confused:

dlotters
18-02-2017, 11:45 AM
Mine (140TDI) is still on first tank filled from dealership and my long term is 8.9:rolleyes:
Even I rest the consumption still 8.7. I have a 10km patch on 100km/h every day on a 25 km journey each way. Definitely not happy with consupmtion.
Not sure why its so bad.

It's the first tank. I can't remember exactly how mine was with the first tank but I am not sure I'd be too bothered with the results from the first tank alone.

I've had mine for almost 4 months and 3600km.

Having said that, your driving style and traffic conditions definitely matter. I was just stuck in the parking lot that is the inner west Sydney traffic on a Saturday and the car is reporting my usage for this trip at 11.5! Yesterday I did a similar trip, without the traffic, and got 6.5

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

tigger73
18-02-2017, 12:02 PM
Not sure why its so bad.

Just wait until the engine is properly bedded in - typically by 5,000km.

If you're still getting high consumption take it back to the dealer.

dinot81
18-02-2017, 02:52 PM
Running-in an engine if you live in and drive in Sydney or metro areas can sometimes take more than 15,000kms. I have a 130TDI and took it to QLD and back when it had 7,500kms, spent 2,500kms on highways. On return engine felt much better, more alive and was drinking less. Was getting around 6L average after the trip, now with 19,000 kms can easily bring consumption down to 5,5 litres. Best I ever managed on M5 was avg of 4,9 with light traffic. If you are unlucky and stop on every red-light, that will push consumption up. With a new car, long term takes a while to bring down. Be patient. Where do you fill up? Diesel fuels vary big in Oz. That can play a role too.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Transporter
18-02-2017, 03:05 PM
Not sure why its so bad.

Use BP diesel only. I found that the BP diesel gives the best fuel economy and power. Also, within the first fuel tank, the car would spent a lot of time idling on the spot and moving from spot to spot at the dealership.

Regdop
18-02-2017, 07:36 PM
Use BP diesel only. I found that the BP diesel gives the best fuel economy and power. Also, within the first fuel tank, the car would spent a lot of time idling on the spot and moving from spot to spot at the dealership.

The is no BP refinery in SA it is only in WA, unless diesel is shipped from BP Kwinana (WA) I suspect you are buying rebranded diesel from Port Stanvac (SA) which is a Mobil refinery. I am in the industry heer in QLD and this happens all the time!

Hillbilly
18-02-2017, 08:19 PM
I use Caltex Vortex Diesel beccause BP says it is Bio diesel and thought we werent supposed to use bio in VW. I get pretty good figures so wont be changing

Diesel blend with biodiesel | Diesel | Fuels | Products & services | BP Australia (http://www.bp.com/en_au/australia/products-services/fuels/diesel/diesel-blend-biodiesel.html)

Regdop
18-02-2017, 08:46 PM
I use Caltex Vortex Diesel beccause BP says it is Bio diesel and thought we werent supposed to use bio in VW. I get pretty good figures so wont be changing

Diesel blend with biodiesel | Diesel | Fuels | Products & services | BP Australia (http://www.bp.com/en_au/australia/products-services/fuels/diesel/diesel-blend-biodiesel.html)

BP Bulwar here in Brisbane, buy their diesel direct from Caltex via a pipeline under the river. Some of it they blend with an additive to make Biodiesel.... Normal diesel is refined by Caltex and rebranded by BP

Aus_fas
19-02-2017, 08:01 PM
Just wait until the engine is properly bedded in - typically by 5,000km.

If you're still getting high consumption take it back to the dealer.
Hmm, I rest the counter to make sure that it starts averaging for my trips. Every other trip I have the consumption is 8+.

I am in Canberra and I know the dealership will try to convince me on driving style but my driving style is not that bad. I own another Honda Civic which has manufacturer consumption as 8.2 and I vary between 8.3-8.4 means my driving style is normal.

All I can say is the quality of the fuel could be issue but as I can see people have been getting good mileage whether its BP or Caltex. Since, the consumption difference is not small its significant and that is why I am concerned. Mine consumption touches 20 (on blue circle) when starts from stationary and then comes down.
Today I did 25-30 km run on 95-110 Km/h while returning from friends place and got 7.9 still not good.

Will the computer diagnostic at the dealership will pick this up ??

Transporter
19-02-2017, 08:34 PM
Hmm, I rest the counter to make sure that it starts averaging for my trips. Every other trip I have the consumption is 8+.

I am in Canberra and I know the dealership will try to convince me on driving style but my driving style is not that bad. I own another Honda Civic which has manufacturer consumption as 8.2 and I vary between 8.3-8.4 means my driving style is normal.

All I can say is the quality of the fuel could be issue but as I can see people have been getting good mileage whether its BP or Caltex. Since, the consumption difference is not small its significant and that is why I am concerned. Mine consumption touches 20 (on blue circle) when starts from stationary and then comes down.
Today I did 25-30 km run on 95-110 Km/h while returning from friends place and got 7.9 still not good.

Will the computer diagnostic at the dealership will pick this up ??

Just allow more time mate, see what the consumption will be on next fuel tank.

theresanothersteve
20-02-2017, 07:17 AM
The is no BP refinery in SA it is only in WA, unless diesel is shipped from BP Kwinana (WA) I suspect you are buying rebranded diesel from Port Stanvac (SA) which is a Mobil refinery. I am in the industry heer in QLD and this happens all the time! There is no Port Stanvac refinery anymore, closed down years ago...

pallman
20-02-2017, 07:53 PM
Not sure why its so bad.

My Golf 2.0TDI mk 5, 2007 is now at 230,000km. The first 30,000km it averaged 6.5/100. It is now 4.9.

These motors take a long time to run in fully. Mine keeps improving with age/km's. oil consumption has also improved. Initially up to 100,000km it was needing 1 litre between 15k services. Now 1/2 litre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theresanothersteve
21-02-2017, 07:45 AM
Here's a thought...

The economy on my Jetta suddenly jumped from 7.8 l/100 to 8.5 l/100 (I do a lot of hill's running). Couldn't work out why. Suddenly realised we are finally getting a hot summer. Now we've had a cooler week the consumption ha dropped.

I strongly suspect its linked to the aircon, struggling to do its climate control bit on very hot days but doing it easy when its mild.

Aus_fas
21-02-2017, 07:41 PM
Next week, I plan to do three things:
1. Fill up my tank at BP
2. Tyre pressure to 37 PSI
3. Will do few test runs on 100km/h zone

Will report if there is any improvement.

Re: milage improvement after a while is bit strange to me as years ago one was required to go slow on engine as the engine hadn't completed the 'running' till 10,000. I assume new engines came already with that initial running.:confused:

Will report consumption next week.

I agree the weather is hot these days, will see on next fuel tank!

tigger73
21-02-2017, 09:13 PM
New cars will improve fuel economy and power outputs over time. There's varying opinions on what the best way to run in a new car but the general consensus is not to run it at fixed revs for extended periods of time (i.e. no cruise control on the freeway).

My current car didn't get better economy until about 5,000km. It was rather lousy to start with. It is unusual to get anywhere near manufacturers figures straight away (these tend to be pretty optimistic in terms of real world driving).

cjmifsud
05-05-2017, 08:08 PM
Something not mentioned in this thread (but it is in others) is the adblue requirement for diesel engines as well. In any case, for me, the 162TSI is miles better than the 140TDI. I would have loved to have compared the European bi-turbo diesel against the 162TSI (both 6.5 seconds 0-100) but the 140TDI just seemed lethargic. I would pick the 130TSI over it in a heart beat.

don't think the adblue consideration is all that of an issue. I have the gen 2 140TDI and love it. goes like a rocket when needed. adblue can be easily topped up at many BP and Shell services stations right next to the diesel fuel pumps. I paid 75c per litre for adblue the other day. So take into account maybe an extra $20-$30 per year for adblue.