PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Jam Assist

Ozsko
11-02-2017, 02:38 PM
Has anyone used it in stop/start/peak hour conditions?

Gladbach
11-02-2017, 04:01 PM
There's a thread here: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f238/adaptive-cruise-control-lane-assist-115077.html

Ozsko
11-02-2017, 04:26 PM
Thanks, I am aware of that thread but had forgotten about it. I am after some first hand experience of someone who has used it...

Does it self steer
Does it have a time out limit or does it have to be activated after a period of being stationery.

ACC will do some stuff in the older cars and self start after a limited stationery time (3 secs?) but my impression from watching some videos is that TJA does not have a time limit and the car self steers. I don't live in a metro area so I haven't had the chance to try it and I was sceptical if the car even had the feature prior to taking delivery of the car and reading the manual.

Ozsko
11-02-2017, 08:11 PM
Ok, I have worked out that my car (162 Highline with DA) does not have active lane assist hence it does not have TJA. Disappointing really but I was always sceptical so no big deal as I suspect it will be there just not activated. Do the R Line cars have active lane assist in Oz??

latearrival
23-02-2017, 01:44 PM
(deleted double post)

latearrival
23-02-2017, 01:45 PM
Ok, I have worked out that my car (162 Highline with DA) does not have active lane assist hence it does not have TJA. Disappointing really but I was always sceptical so no big deal as I suspect it will be there just not activated. Do the R Line cars have active lane assist in Oz??

Are you sure about it not having active lane assist? The VW page for the Tig says, "Using a camera to monitor the markings on the road ahead, Lane Assist helps keep you safe by working to prevent you leaving your lane unintentionally. If you start to leave your lane without indicating the system takes corrective steering action. If you still don’t respond a message will appear in the Multi-Function Display in conjunction with a warning tone"

Ozsko
23-02-2017, 02:13 PM
Active lane assist is not on the assistance menu that appears when the button on the end button on the indicator stork is pressed. Lane assist is there but for JTA to work it needs active lane assist to be present and activated. There was a post put up that said the camera fitted did not support JTA and that certainly was the case in earlier cars including Audi from what I can find out. There is very little out there that says anything about JTA which I also found strange. It may well be that it is there and can be activated and I would buy the cable and software to do that but as of yet I can find nothing or anyone who has done it. I wonder of the R line has active lane assist, can anyone confirm or deny this?

latearrival
23-02-2017, 05:48 PM
I wonder of the R line has active lane assist, can anyone confirm or deny this?

I don't have my Tig yet but there's been some discussion of this in this thread:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f238/overall-pros-cons-117404-4.html

What I (think) I've learned is that DAP (no need for R/Line) should give you:
- ACC which works at low and high speeds.
- Active Lane Assist which actively steers the car back into the lane if drifting out of it. This is only active > 65km/h.
- TJA requires low-speed ACC (tick) and for some form of low-speed Active Lane Assist. No Australian model has this.

NZ models, but not Australian models, have both TJA and something called Adaptive Lane Guidance. Whereas Active Lane Assist 'bounces' the car from one side of the lane to the other if you're not steering, ALG will keep the car centred in the lane.

I'm just repeating what others have said - I have no first hand experience of any of this!

It does frustrate me that these cars have these additional capabilities that I assume are software suppressed. Like you, I hope we can find a way to activate them.

Ozsko
23-02-2017, 07:04 PM
The handbook shows a menu item for active lane assist and specifies that it must be activated + ACC for JTA to work. It seems strange for both Passat and Skoda Superb to have JTA where the Tiguan does not and they all use roughly the same systems. My suspicion is that it is just not activated. As I said above the only menu item is lane assist which does steer the car but not as I expect active lane assist to do. I am more disappointed at VWA for not having it as a basic feature in the DAP package than anything else as I don't live in the metro area, if I did I would truly be P'd off. I was in a traffic jam for an hour the other day and just used the reset feature of ACC to control the car.

Can someone with another DAP equipped car confirm my findings please, there must be others who have a 162 with DAP out there reading this.

GolfR79
23-02-2017, 07:05 PM
i was very keen for Traffic Jam Assist but unfortunately it is not available in Australian models. Refer to this article 2017 Volkswagen Golf review | CarAdvice (http://www.caradvice.com.au/522117/2017-volkswagen-golf-review/) you will note it refers to TJA not yet available.

"The Traffic Jam Assist system that handles steering, braking and accelerating itself under 60km/h in gridlock, is being evaluated for our market. Should it become available, Volkswagen would be able to offer among the best partial-autonomy in the market."

This article also refers to TJA being evaluated for the Aus market... Volkswagen suggests Australia-specific suspension not necessary for its cars (http://www.caradvice.com.au/459707/volkswagen-suggests-australia-specific-suspension-not-necessary-for-its-cars/)

Ozsko
23-02-2017, 07:12 PM
The problem with that is it is already available as I outlined above. My bet is they are holding it for a mid model upgrade as they do with features like this.

Gladbach
23-02-2017, 08:05 PM
It's in the Passat in Australia and a bunch of Audi's so I don't know what they're evulating for the Australian market.

Ozsko
23-02-2017, 08:22 PM
They aren't evaluating it at all, it is just BS to hold back features they want to dribble in later. Journos these days do what they are told and write what they are told.

latearrival
24-02-2017, 10:00 AM
They aren't evaluating it at all, it is just BS to hold back features they want to dribble in later

Is this the sort of thing that can be switched on with VCDS then?

Ozsko
24-02-2017, 11:30 AM
I haven't a clue TBH but I live in hope. The problem is (and I may be wrong here) that in most markets it would be a standard feature so they have no need to find out.

cvee
25-02-2017, 09:24 AM
I'm all about the tech.. Dont know why we can't order from a global vw site and pick and choose options to our hearts desires.
If I order a Tig now I've been told it's up to a 9mth wait.

I figure I'll order in 3-6mths time where I hope the demand and arrival time will be smaller.
This gives me option to check out the Skoda Kodiak to see what features it has. Ie. will they include TJA?

By then we should have more info re Model 3.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ozsko
25-02-2017, 09:48 AM
The Skoda is a bigger vehicle and I would not take money on it not having TJA. The way cars are now they should do what Tesla does, if you want it then pay to have it enabled and VW should update the software (where possible) and try and sell the added features to you through the life of the car. I suppose that could impact sales if the car is updated but Tesla and I think BMW are going that route. Other car makers have done it in the past with features like cruise control, fit a switch and turn it on via the dealer diagnostic system which was a few minutes work and the owner got charged appropriately.

I find it astonishing no other owners have contributed their findings to this thread, maybe I over rate the usefulness of TJA and others are not interested.

latearrival
25-02-2017, 09:54 AM
If I order a Tig now I've been told it's up to a 9mth wait.

The other option is to ring around and try and find an order that someone has cancelled. I know I was lucky, but I got a broker to ring around for me and he found a cancelled order that met my requirements. I took over the order on 8 Feb and I'm taking delivery on 10 Mar.

Ozsko
25-02-2017, 10:20 AM
I recall Polos were out to nearly 12 months at one stage. Porsche started this philosophy many years ago, build one less car than what has been ordered, stock costs money to keep on the ground and basically VW do not have any. It also saves them form having to guess what options to put in the stock vehicles because VW and the other European manufacturers play the options game whereas the Japanese put everything in the car or near enough so don't have that problem. We really do get a customised car in a sense though most choose the same options. I don't understand why VWA don't just open up the options book to everything available and let the customer build the car on a basis that you ordered it so you own it scenario. I for instance did not order an R line because VW insisted it have 20" wheels and that was the reason VW lost money on the deal.

cvee
25-02-2017, 11:12 AM
The Skoda is a bigger vehicle and I would not take money on it not having TJA. The way cars are now they should do what Tesla does, if you want it then pay to have it enabled and VW should update the software (where possible) and try and sell the added features to you through the life of the car. I suppose that could impact sales if the car is updated but Tesla and I think BMW are going that route. Other car makers have done it in the past with features like cruise control, fit a switch and turn it on via the dealer diagnostic system which was a few minutes work and the owner got charged appropriately.

I find it astonishing no other owners have contributed their findings to this thread, maybe I over rate the usefulness of TJA and others are not interested.

I think the same. Give me everything or a choice to have everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

martinnw
07-03-2017, 04:24 PM
Ozsko, I have a 132 Comfortline with DAP and yes, it has "active lane assist" but not TJA. Dissapointed but there you go

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

Ozsko
07-03-2017, 05:08 PM
If it has active lane assist it will have TJA from what I know. If it actually says active lane assist on the menu selection item and not simply lane assist I would think the spec of the vehicle is a mistake on someones part. I only say that as no one else seems to have it on any spec of vehicle in Oz. Does it have ACC, if it doesn't that would be a show stopper.

latearrival
08-03-2017, 09:23 AM
yes, it has "active lane assist"

Does your Tig keep itself in the middle of the lane without any steering input from you? Or does it only take control of the steering when it notices you about to cross a lane without indicating?

martinnw
08-03-2017, 09:28 AM
Just steers back into the lane if you touch the line. Still a very useful feature IMHO

martinnw
08-03-2017, 09:31 AM
If it has active lane assist it will have TJA from what I know. If it actually says active lane assist on the menu selection item and not simply lane assist I would think the spec of the vehicle is a mistake on someones part. I only say that as no one else seems to have it on any spec of vehicle in Oz. Does it have ACC, if it doesn't that would be a show stopper.
Well it's active in that it steers back in the lane...but you are correct in VW speak it's only ACC.

latearrival
08-03-2017, 09:40 AM
Just steers back into the lane if you touch the line

I've found the terminology for the safety tech across models really confusing. To have TJA, the car has to have Adaptive Lane Guidance, which the UK and NZ models have but not the Aussie. ALG keeps you in the centre of your lane in the freeway. As you said, Active Lane Assist just 'bounces' you off the lane markings.

latearrival
08-03-2017, 09:46 AM
Well it's active in that it steers back in the lane...but you are correct in VW speak it's only ACC.

As I understand it (but I'm wrong more often than I'm right!) ACC just speeds up or slows down the car to maintain the distance between you and the car in front. It does not do any steering.

Ozsko
08-03-2017, 09:56 AM
As I understand it (but I'm wrong more often than I'm right!) ACC just speeds up or slows down the car to maintain the distance between you and the car in front. It does not do any steering.

ACC needs to be functioning in conjunction with active lane assist (guidance) for TJA to work. ACC starts/stops/controls the distance to the car in front and ALA or guidance steers the car and positions it in the lane and between the two they totally control the car under 37KPH with no input from the driver. Without any additional first hand user information from an owner who has actually used it that is my understanding. For some curious reason I don't understand there has been very little comment or user experience on this forum and there must be quite a few cars out there with it fitted. The only reason I can think of for no comment is people simply do not use it or are possibly aware it is there and how it functions.

latearrival
08-03-2017, 10:07 AM
ACC needs to be functioning in conjunction with active lane assist (guidance) for TJA to work.

I don't think what you've said is right. There's a whole thread on this somewhere. I'll find it in a minute. For TJA to work ACC needs to be functioning in conjunction with Adaptive Lane Guidance

EDIT - Some discussion of this in this thread (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f238/overall-pros-cons-117404-4.html), from Post 35 onwards.

Ozsko
08-03-2017, 10:31 AM
Let me clear up something, I haven't seen a car with these features so my terminology might be incorrect, note the brackets in my previous post. I might be wrong but in the handbook it calls it "active lane assist", I will check later. The emphasis in either case is the "Active".

latearrival
08-03-2017, 10:37 AM
I don't have my Tig yet either, so I could be talking out of my backside. But here's what someone else posted from the UK manual:

Traffic Jam Assist function
At speeds under 60 km/h (35 mph) Traffic Jam Assist can maintain a time interval, set by the driver, to a vehicle in front, and help the vehicle to stay in lane. The system automatically controls acceleration, braking, steering and, if required, will decelerate to a stop behind a vehicle that is stopping, and then drive away again automatically.

Adaptive Lane Guidance
Activating or deactivating adaptive lane guidance, the lane keeping system does not just provide assistance when the vehicle is at risk of leaving the lane. If the system detects both lane markings to the left and right of the vehicle, the function provides permanent assistance while the vehicle is in motion. The system adopts the preferred position within the lane in which the vehicle is travelling. For example, if the vehicle is being driven slightly off-centre in the lane, the system will learn to adopt the new position within a short period of time.

EDIT - @TungstenR from NZ said his Tig has TJA & ALG (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f238/overall-pros-cons-117404-5.html?highlight=manual#post1218916)

Ozsko
08-03-2017, 10:44 AM
Has he ever commented on his experience with it? Do you know of any comments of users with TJA?

latearrival
08-03-2017, 10:46 AM
Let me clear up something, I haven't seen a car with these features so my terminology might be incorrect, note the brackets in my previous post. I might be wrong but in the handbook it calls it "active lane assist", I will check later. The emphasis in either case is the "Active".

I think you're right. The handbook does call it Active Lane Assist. I assume the "Active" bit means it actively controls the steering. But only to bounce you off the lane markings. It's still the poor cousin to the Adaptive Lane Guidance, which is also needed for TJA.

latearrival
08-03-2017, 10:51 AM
Has he ever commented on his experience with it? Do you know of any comments of users with TJA?

No to both. But I just sent TungstenR a message and asked.

Ozsko
08-03-2017, 10:57 AM
IIRC and this is a big maybe, am I correct in thinking that TJA is not standard fit in the UK but either comes with certain models or is an option requiring spending money to get it?

latearrival
08-03-2017, 01:21 PM
IIRC and this is a big maybe, am I correct in thinking that TJA is not standard fit in the UK but either comes
with certain models or is an option requiring spending money to get it?

Sorry, I have no idea. Perhaps someone else can chime in?

TungstenR
09-03-2017, 05:37 PM
OK, the experience... Considering TJA,...nada, as I don't live in a congested area. Considering Adaptive Lane Assist, that's a different story, almost nada too however, but I must explain;

the vehicle data sheet says I have
- lane change assist and lane keeping system, code 7Y5 SPU
and
- Adaptive cruise control (with "follow to stop") and speed limiter, code 8T8 GRA
and
- Lane change system Side assist Plus incl. lane keeping system Lane Assist (ROW), code PSL

I see all this information in the Head Up Display, complete with the pictures for "Adaptive Lane Assist" as explained in the car manual, but in actual drive I feel a gentle push when driving towards any of the lines, not for staying in the middle of the lane.

I've had a few electronic issues though, out of the blue 1. emergency assist once displayed it was not available, 2. ABS once displayed it was not available (when the car was at the dealer, but they could not find what was at fault), 3. during a long drive the display suddenly said that lane assist wasn't available, and indeed it showed as being de-activated in my HUD. After we stopped, and re-started, everything seemed OK again.

When I have time they'll have a look at it at the dealership...

latearrival
10-03-2017, 07:23 AM
in actual drive I feel a gentle push when driving towards any of the lines, not for staying in the middle of the lane

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. Unless your car has been misconfigured, it's beginning to sound like NZ doesn't get Adaptive Lane Guidance (and therefore TJA) after all. Perhaps the only thing NZ gets that Australia doesn't is the HUD.

MadWorm
17-08-2017, 06:52 PM
My dealer informed me in an email a few days ago all MY18 Golfs in Australia will have TJA.

Hugo_nz
18-08-2017, 07:29 AM
Mods, there are two threads about TJA. Could they not be merged into one?

dArK5HaD0w
18-08-2017, 12:49 PM
if anyone is interested - the skoda version of TJA...
i have an MY17 Superb. It has ACC (active gruise), Lane Assist with Adaptive Lane Guidance and Traffic Jam Assist (TJA).

i can use the car in the following combos:-
1. Lane Assist

ACC = OFF
LA = ON
ALG = OFF

activates above 65 km/h. when i hit the lane, the car will vibrate and bounce back. it doesn't keep the car centred.

2. Lane Assist with Adaptive Lane Guidance

ACC = OFF
LA = ON
ALG = ON

as above activates above 65 km/h, however this time it keeps the car in the centre of the lane markings. works on straight roads, and long curvey roads.
brilliant for motorways.
even with me holding the wheel, and i'm starting to move off centre, it will correct the steering and recentre the car.
i can drive totally handsfree, however, it only allows 12 secs of handsfree operation, after which it will display a message saying to take over the steering. if i don't, it will vibrate the steering. if i still don't, it will brake sharply for 1 sec. if i still don't, it switch on the hazard lights and come to complete stop within the lane.
the ALG also makes use of the blind-spot monitoring sensors.

3. Active Cruise Control Only, no Lane Assist

ACC = ON
LA = OFF
ALG = OFF

as per normal cruise control, but in addition keeps the distance to the car infront of you.
it will NOT bring the car to a complete stop if the infront of u does.

4. Traffic Jam Assist

ACC = ON
LA = ON
ALG = ON

as above for lane guidance, however this time it also works below 65 km/h, down to standstill.
as above for active cruise, however this time, will brake for u to a complete stop, and resume when the car infront starts moving. if the car has been stopped for more than 3 secs, a flick of the resume switch is all that is required.
brilliant for traffic jams or creeps.
combined with ACC, i can drive handsfree and legsfree.

i can't specifically turn on/off TJA. as long as the certain conditions are met, TJA is active.
there has been a recall on certain models to fix/correct TJA, via a Technical Bulletin.

GabrielT
18-08-2017, 05:18 PM
My dealer informed me in an email a few days ago all MY18 Golfs in Australia will have TJA.

MY18 as in a week 21 built onwards?