PDA

View Full Version : Removing rear sunroof glass?

drivesafe
05-02-2017, 05:28 PM
Hi folks, I am in the process of covering the sunroof glass with blackout film.

Because of the type of film I am using, it is near impossible to apply the film with the glass in place.

I had no problems removing the front glass, just 6 bolts, but I can not work out how the rear glass is secured in place.

Has anybody had anything to do with removing this glass?

Pussbak
05-02-2017, 05:34 PM
Tinting sunroof glass is a NO NO. It should not be and any tinter will advise against it.
Do a google search on tinting sunroof.
You will be shocked by what you find, may cost you thousands.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

drivesafe
05-02-2017, 06:16 PM
Hi Pussbak and thanks for the warning.

I did do a lot of research after making some enquiries and being told by a number of professional tinters, the same details you posted up.

After all the warnings, I decided to give the tinting a miss and after some additional research, found that vinyl film can be applied to the OUTSIDE ( or topside in this case ) and not cause any problems.

Tinting requires the tint film be applied to the inside ( underside ) of a sunroof and this is where the problem arises from.

The tint film, particularly those containing any form of metal, cause a huge buildup of heat on the underside and this can lead to the glass shattering.

With vinyl film being on the outside ( top ), the heat can escape and so no problems should occur ( fingers crossed )

I need a total block as I am planning on fitting driving lights on the roof of my Tig and I always fit my roof lights far enough back to make sure they don’t light up the bonnet.

With the sunroof, this would mean the inside of the tig would glow every time I used the roof lights.

I have already covered the front glass, just can’t work out how to remove the rear glass so as to be able to cover it as well.

IsDon
05-02-2017, 06:55 PM
Can I ask the obvious question here?

If you're planning on covering the sunroof, why option the car with a sunroof in the first place? Seems like a waste of $2K.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pussbak
05-02-2017, 07:12 PM
Can I ask the obvious question here?

If you're planning on covering the sunroof, why option the car with a sunroof in the first place? Seems like a waste of $2K.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The missus likes the view when im on top.
The breeze on a balmy summer night

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

drivesafe
05-02-2017, 07:38 PM
Hi Don, and I didn’t spec the vehicle, I just bought one that was close to what I wanted and was available, and didn’t have to wait months for it to be delivered.

I have had a few vehicles with sun roofs fitted and other than opening it to giving someone the bird when they stuffup, i have found the only real use is as Pussbak posted, they are great on the right type of night.

Hillbilly
05-02-2017, 08:33 PM
Might be different in the high temps here but I had a sunroof tinted in my Toyota in NZ and it was ok for the 5 years I had the car

Worst thing about sunroofs is if you wear glasses the sun comes in and reflects in them Thats why it was tinted.

Wished I had never done it

Delewin
06-02-2017, 04:23 PM
I tinted my 2002 X Trail panoramic sun roof with no problems at all. I have had the car since new and it has done over 185,000 kms. I think the fact that it has been garaged all its life may have a beneficial contributing factor.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Delewin
06-02-2017, 04:24 PM
I live in Sydney

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk