PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle damage pre-delivery / delivery inspections

Frogasaursas
17-01-2017, 06:21 PM
Hey guys,

My 162TSI with DAP was due to be delivered to me from the dealer tomorrow. Dealer rang and said two scratches were noted on car when detailing it.

They're still going to deliver tomo and pick it back up from me to take for repairs when repair shop opens next week. They gave me the option of them keeping it and getting it repaired or letting me have it until repairs could be organised.

Anybody dealt with this before? Is it just luck of the draw with a new car in transit? Feel a bit bummed that the bloody thing needs cosmetic repairs when I agreed to buy a new vehicle. Any advice?

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/da24e79722a7b29998ff0b0b476fba8epng-2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roddy
17-01-2017, 06:38 PM
I WOULD NOT TAKE IT AT ALL until it is properly fixed. Once YOU sign for it.....and take it off the lot, they can....CAN...take their own time in fixing it.

Gladbach
17-01-2017, 07:12 PM
Man, that sucks. If it were me, I'd want to get my hands on it immediately. As long as they can give you something in writing that the repairs will be done by a specified date, I'd take it as it is and bring it back for the repairs. Of course, make sure they give you a courtesy car while your new lovely Tiguan is being sorted out!

Gladbach
17-01-2017, 07:12 PM
p.s - Can't wait to see your Tig driving around the northern beaches ;-)

Frogasaursas
17-01-2017, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah I was going to leave it but the wife wanted to take it. I'm less worried about them dragging their heels on the time of the repairs and more worried it won't look 'perfect' when the repairs are done, but I guess I can refuse to take it if I'm not happy with the repair.

Gladbach you'll know it's mine by the scratches! [emoji31]

Frogasaursas
17-01-2017, 07:56 PM
p.s - Can't wait to see your Tig driving around the northern beaches ;-)

Ps I saw a white r-line (must have been tdi) on the spit bridge last week. Looked great, very sporty. I'm sure it'll be worth the wait for yours!

Gladbach
17-01-2017, 08:24 PM
Could have been the demo 162TSI from Brookvale. I took it for a drive a few weeks back.

NZ_GolfR
17-01-2017, 09:02 PM
I picked up my new 162TSI R Line on Friday:

It wasn't until over the weekend that I noticed there was some paint damage on the inside edge of the drivers door (a slightly odd position as it is not somewhere that you could just bang it into when opening the door):

Spoke to the dealer this week and they were very apologetic about not picking it up and will arrange to get it sorted whenever suits for me to get it in there. Apparently they had another one arrive with a stone chip that they had to get fixed. Bit of a bummer but at least this is just a paint touch up and isn't visible when the door is closed so could have been worse.

Gladbach
17-01-2017, 09:12 PM
Wow, that's pretty bad. I'll be checking mine over with a fine tooth comb when I pick it up. Your car looks awesome though, at least in the first photo :)

REXman
18-01-2017, 02:01 AM
Wow, that's pretty bad. I'll be checking mine over with a fine tooth comb when I pick it up. Your car looks awesome though, at least in the first photo :)

X2!! Wow I've never seen a brand new car NOT immaculate at pick up.

It's not only this, but I saw some misaligned R line badges on a different car also. Really a bit concerned given this is the car that should help VW get back on track with respect to consumer confidence given all the dieselgate/dsg issues world wide.

Or maybe they don't give a **** and we are all suckers... hopefully not the latter. :)

Ours is ready thursday. Will be triple checking!!

NZ_GolfR
18-01-2017, 05:24 AM
It really isn't that bad, think it actually looks worse in the photo, and I didn't notice it when getting in and out of it at the dealers when picking it up. I made sure I checked of misaligned badges on the door, didn't have to worry about the ones on the back though:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/e7a004a659cb31993651f40b1e7b5742-2.jpg

I don't blame VW for this at all, I actually think it was done in transit from wharf to dealer. Probably something got caught in the door (maybe seatbelt) when closed that has scratched the paint off. There is no sign of rust on the metal at all so really doubt it was done before its boat trip. As I said the dealer was really apologetic (she was actually still on holiday when I picked it up but I couldn't wait another 3 day for her to get back [emoji6]), I just need to let them know when suits for me to drop it in there for them to fix.

Schland77
18-01-2017, 06:57 AM
It really isn't that bad, think it actually looks worse in the photo, and I didn't notice it when getting in and out of it at the dealers when picking it up. I made sure I checked of misaligned badges on the door, didn't have to worry about the ones on the back though:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/e7a004a659cb31993651f40b1e7b5742-2.jpg

I don't blame VW for this at all, I actually think it was done in transit from wharf to dealer. Probably something got caught in the door (maybe seatbelt) when closed that has scratched the paint off. There is no sign of rust on the metal at all so really doubt it was done before its boat trip. As I said the dealer was really apologetic (she was actually still on holiday when I picked it up but I couldn't wait another 3 day for her to get back [emoji6]), I just need to let them know when suits for me to drop it in there for them to fix.

Hey NZgolfR- congrats to your car, looks stunning! I have noticed in your pic that the foamy black stuff around your rear number plate has been removed. Did you do that yourself or did the dealer take care of it? If it was you, was it hard? How did you do it? Thanks

Eyes24
18-01-2017, 06:57 AM

How come no badges on the back?

tigger73
18-01-2017, 07:03 AM
I made sure I checked of misaligned badges on the door, didn't have to worry about the ones on the back though:

Wow first debadged R-line :o

NZ_GolfR
18-01-2017, 08:12 AM
Hey NZgolfR- congrats to your car, looks stunning! I have noticed in your pic that the foamy black stuff around your rear number plate has been removed. Did you do that yourself or did the dealer take care of it? If it was you, was it hard? How did you do it? Thanks

No the dealer must have done it as it wasn't there when I pick the car up. Assuming they did it as they registered it with non-euro plates which I have then swapped over to my personalised plates which are also non-euro ones. Can't have been too hard for them to do otherwise I imagine they wouldn't have bother.

NZ_GolfR
18-01-2017, 08:15 AM
How come no badges on the back?

I preferred the cleaner look at the back with no badges plus I hate how it is really hard to clean in and around them and then you just get a build up of dirt in all the gaps of the letters. My old Golf R was good as they only came with the R badge and none of the of Golf TSI etc. Dealer removed them all for me prior to picking up (this way they were responsible if any damage when being done [emoji3]).

NZ_GolfR
18-01-2017, 08:19 AM
Just to make a bad start to the day, driving into town this morning on the motorway the car in front of me flicked up a big stone that landed square on the bonnet. Not even done 300km and now have 2 chips on the bonnet [emoji35]

Might have to be cheeky and see if the dealer can touch these up while they are doing the door!

Pussbak
18-01-2017, 09:50 AM

Im a de-badged kinda guy myself but when there are missing, misaligned or incorrectly placed badges i tend to look for evidence of repair work.
Unless theres a logical explanation,'i smell a rat'

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Frogasaursas
18-01-2017, 07:44 PM
Besides my scratches, I also noticed a misaligned wheel arch today on pick-up. [emoji107]

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/d5e3940648970dcc07750261ccc476f7-2.jpg http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/a21b05509ccea5ac1de959d03381dc66-2.jpg

Gladbach
18-01-2017, 08:01 PM
Man, I'm starting to think the quality control on these is pretty poor. I doubt the wheel arch would have been misaligned somehow in transit.

Chocolate_Bear
19-01-2017, 10:33 AM
Wow! Thanks for the post. Will surely be giving mine a very detailed look before driving off with in May. Oh the wait!

TIG162R
21-01-2017, 12:51 PM
Sorry to hear about the scratches guys. I'll also be getting mine de-badged too....Does anyone know if its possible to not have that black face plate thing on the front bumper which the number plate is fixed to? I'm getting Euro plates & the front plate is small & that black face plate sticks out & looks **** imo...

IsDon
21-01-2017, 02:08 PM
Sorry to hear about the scratches guys. I'll also be getting mine de-badged too....Does anyone know if its possible to not have that black face plate thing on the front bumper which the number plate is fixed to? I'm getting Euro plates & the front plate is small & that black face plate sticks out & looks **** imo...

You can get full sized front euro plates in NSW that perfectly fit the dimensions of the front bracket 520X110 front and back. Have a look here
https://www.myplates.com.au/products/myplates-product-brochure.pdf

Brizzypom
21-01-2017, 05:50 PM

Hi Tig162R
Refer to my post (#529) regarding measurements and details of the front number plate thing on the front

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f238/i-have-ordered-received-my-new-tiguan-114104-post1208436.html#post1208436

... agree that it looks **** btw!

TIG162R
23-01-2017, 09:22 AM
You can get full sized front euro plates in NSW that perfectly fit the dimensions of the front bracket 520X110 front and back. Have a look here

Hi Tig162R
Refer to my post (#529) regarding measurements and details of the front number plate thing on the front

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f238/i-have-ordered-received-my-new-tiguan-114104-post1208436.html#post1208436

... agree that it looks **** btw!

Thanks fellas!

NZ_GolfR
25-01-2017, 08:06 AM
Just a quick update, dropped my Tiguan off at the dealers today for them to sort out the paint chips on the door and they were really good about it, very apologetic about not picking it up before delivery. They are actually sending the car to a body shop to get properly fixed rather than just touching it up which I am surprised and happy about. As an added bonus they are also going to sort out the stone chips I got on the bonnet at the same time. Since it is getting done properly they will need the car for more than a day so will hopefully get it back tomorrow or Friday, in the meantime they have given me a brand new Golf with about 100km on the clock to use while they have mine.

Eyes24
25-01-2017, 08:32 AM
Just a quick update, dropped my Tiguan off at the dealers today for them to sort out the paint chips on the door and they were really good about it, very apologetic about not picking it up before delivery. They are actually sending the car to a body shop to get properly fixed rather than just touching it up which I am surprised and happy about. As an added bonus they are also going to sort out the stone chips I got on the bonnet at the same time. Since it is getting done properly they will need the car for more than a day so will hopefully get it back tomorrow or Friday, in the meantime they have given me a brand new Golf with about 100km on the clock to use while they have mine.

Well for all those peoples saying VW has Bad customer service on whirlpool forum, this will show you not all have poor service.
That's awesome service.

Chocolate_Bear
25-01-2017, 08:39 AM

That's awesome news mate! Great service. Are they also sorting the wheel arch misalignment ?

Tiguan 162tsi rline (May 2017) - NSW, Northern Beaches

NZ_GolfR
25-01-2017, 02:45 PM
Well for all those peoples saying VW has Bad customer service on whirlpool forum, this will show you not all have poor service.
That's awesome service.

Yeah I have read all the posts on the Whirlpool forum and wondered if the all Australian VW dealers are crap or if that was just the place to complain. My dealer over here has been great to deal with, even replying to my emails when she was on her Christmas holidays (oh the joys of smartphones, there is no escaping work.) If I was treated like some of those people have been complaining about I would just take by business to one of the 2 other VW dealers here in Auckland.

NZ_GolfR
25-01-2017, 02:46 PM
That's awesome news mate! Great service. Are they also sorting the wheel arch misalignment ?

No, that wasn't me with the wheel arch misalignment it was one of the other members that had that. Mine was just the paint chips on the inside edge of the drivers door.

Eyes24
25-01-2017, 03:12 PM
Yeah I have read all the posts on the Whirlpool forum and wondered if the all Australian VW dealers are crap or if that was just the place to complain. My dealer over here has been great to deal with, even replying to my emails when she was on her Christmas holidays (oh the joys of smartphones, there is no escaping work.) If I was treated like some of those people have been complaining about I would just take by business to one of the 2 other VW dealers here in Auckland.

The guy who l dealt with has been great.
Brighton Victoria Melbourne

IsDon
25-01-2017, 03:23 PM
Maybe this needs a thread all of its own. A list of dealers giving you the run around, verses those that actually treat you like a customer. Possibly with an overall rating out of ten. What do you think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rees
29-01-2017, 07:48 AM
Hi all,
Apologies if this topic has already been addressed - I couldn't find any threads.

I've just purchased a new Tiguan 162TSI in Habanero Orange Metallic. I love the colour, but was disappointed to discover some possible paint defects the next day. :facepalm:

These small bubble-like spots cover the majority of the car with the exception of the bonnet and tailgate. I didn't see these when I did the initial dealership inspection as it was done in showroom conditions - but they are definitely visible in direct sunlight. :bangheadwall:

I'm confident the dealership will do the right thing once they take a look at it, but I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue and what their experience was with having it resolved. I'd appreciate any tips just in case I'm given the run around.

Grateful if there are any users with experience in paintwork to provide any insight on the embedded images below.

For anyone else waiting on their new Tiguan - for the love of dubs, insist on looking at your new car outside in the sun (unless it's raining obviously). Don't sign off on it until you're satisfied with everything.

I'll be sure to update this as it progresses. Thanks in advance :)

Mac135
29-01-2017, 09:38 AM
Picked up our habanero on Friday. It's my wife's car so while she did the delivery I went over the car almost inch by inch. I found one minute blemish on the lower valance under the tailgate it looks like some had settled on the paint work momentarily before falling/off being removed. It will be fixed up at first service.

i have seen nothing though like you show in the photos. You would have to say without any further explanation that they look likes flaws in the finish.

i think your advice is good about taking the time to carefully look at the car. It's too easy/tempting to send time during the delivery focusing on things you can do at home- pairing phones/setting up car play etc.

hope the issue gets sorted quickly.

REXman
29-01-2017, 10:42 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but can you confirm these marks are below the clear layer ? As in do you think these marks will buff off or a respray needed?

Either way I think you should be fine. Dealer will have to fix your new baby.

rees
29-01-2017, 10:42 AM
Picked up our habanero on Friday. It's my wife's car so while she did the delivery I went over the car almost inch by inch. I found one minute blemish on the lower valance under the tailgate it looks like some had settled on the paint work momentarily before falling/off being removed. It will be fixed up at first service.

i have seen nothing though like you show in the photos. You would have to say without any further explanation that they look likes flaws in the finish.

i think your advice is good about taking the time to carefully look at the car. It's too easy/tempting to send time during the delivery focusing on things you can do at home- pairing phones/setting up car play etc.

hope the issue gets sorted quickly.

Absolutely! It's amazing how well things can be hidden with showroom lighting so you really have to go over it carefully.

I'm no expert, but I'm hoping it's a relatively straight forward and quick process (done properly), but I suppose worst case scenario they may need it for a few weeks.

I've seen some other people with similar issues on other cars, and the dealer stuffed them around by going over the car with a clay bar, only to have the spots remain or return. Some resulted in a full respray.

rees
29-01-2017, 10:44 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but can you confirm these marks are below the clear layer ? As in do you think these marks will buff off or a respray needed?

Either way I think you should be fine. Dealer will have to fix your new baby.

I can't say with absolute certainty that it's below the clear layer, but I've looked at it through a macro lens and a magnifying glass and I can definitely see dust or some kind of shaving in some places. To me it looks to be between layers.

I'm a bit hesitant to try and buff it myself, and will leave it to them just in case. Other cases I've seen on other cars were fixed with a clay bar, others needed a full respray.

Hoping to have a better understanding of it once they have it properly assessed.

jtan9695
29-01-2017, 07:17 PM
The Tiguan i picked up yesterday had the same issue with the white r line above.

Its just around 2mm looks like chipped (white coloured) not realy visible unless i really look for it

Wonder if i should bring this up with the dealer?

tigger73
29-01-2017, 07:36 PM
The Tiguan i picked up yesterday had the same issue with the white r line above.

Its just around 2mm looks like chipped (white coloured) not realy visible unless i really look for it

Wonder if i should bring this up with the dealer?

Yes - better that the dealer fixes it rather than you pay for it to get fixed later.

jtan9695
29-01-2017, 07:46 PM
Would a chip like that causes rust?

Eyes24
29-01-2017, 07:46 PM
Would a chip like that causes rust?

If it down to the metal, then yes

jtan9695
29-01-2017, 08:11 PM
Hopefully its not down to the body.

It is only showing the white part which i guess it means its just the layer below the paint.

The white tiguan from above was what it looked like if it went down deep to the body i think

Chocolate_Bear
29-01-2017, 09:01 PM

Hi there. Just wondering if the traditional premium plates would be an issue or if it fits perfectly?

IsDon
29-01-2017, 09:10 PM
No. Traditional premium plates are too small.

Chocolate_Bear
29-01-2017, 11:25 PM
No. Traditional premium plates are too small.

So seems like euro plates is the only option then ...

IsDon
30-01-2017, 07:11 AM
Have a look here.

It shows the sizes of all the available plates. The normal premiums will fit, however the frame is meant to take a larger Euro pate so the normal plate looks odd. The car frames are 520mm X 110mm.

There's a dedicated thread on here about plates which gives more detail.

rees
30-01-2017, 05:42 PM
Hi all,
Apologies if this topic has already been addressed - I couldn't find any threads.

I've just purchased a new Tiguan 162TSI in Habanero Orange Metallic. I love the colour, but was disappointed to discover some possible paint defects the next day. :facepalm:

These small bubble-like spots cover the majority of the car with the exception of the bonnet and tailgate. I didn't see these when I did the initial dealership inspection as it was done in showroom conditions - but they are definitely visible in direct sunlight. :bangheadwall:

I'm confident the dealership will do the right thing once they take a look at it, but I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue and what their experience was with having it resolved. I'd appreciate any tips just in case I'm given the run around.

Grateful if there are any users with experience in paintwork to provide any insight on the embedded images below.

For anyone else waiting on their new Tiguan - for the love of dubs, insist on looking at your new car outside in the sun (unless it's raining obviously). Don't sign off on it until you're satisfied with everything.

Update:
I took my new Tiguan to the dealer to have the paintwork assessed today.

The dealer had one of their pre-delivery detail guys polish a section of the car. He claimed the spots were just dry water residue, however the spots were still there after it was polished.

The dealer had told me earlier that a representative from a spray shop would be there to assess it, but in the end I had to insist on the second opinion. The dealer told me he took it to a spray shop and was told it was salt water drops/mist residue from the ship ride over.

I'm sure many of you would be aware that the bonnet, roof, and tailgate/boot is covered by a plastic film during transportation, which is why I'm inclined to think this is a possibility.

I'm still a little unsure about the fragments stuck under the layer, particularly because it doesn't seem to reduce or come off after two washes and a polish.

I'll happily accept that these are characteristics of salt residue if they're able to remove them when they work on it (Thursday), but I'm still curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Is this something I should ask to have recorded for warranty purposes in case the clear coat fails?

On a more positive note, and aside from this issue, I am absolutely in love with my new Tiguan!

For anyone still waiting on their new baby, please save yourself the heartache by making sure you fully check it over outside before you accept it. :)

Mac135
30-01-2017, 05:47 PM
I'll take a shot of the one blemish on our car tomorrow for you. Looks similar but different. It wouldn't run off/out at the delivery.

rees
30-01-2017, 05:52 PM
I'll take a shot of the one blemish on our car tomorrow for you. Looks similar but different. It wouldn't run off/out at the delivery.

Thanks! I'm definitely interested to see what blemish you've got on yours. Mine is completely peppered down the sides and bumpers with spots.

Has the dealer indicated whether they'll tend to the issue?

I've heard of some limited success with certain paint correction and clay bar processes, but I'm completely ignorant and paranoid when it comes to this stuff.

I trust that the dealer won't do a dodgy masking of the issue, but I want to protect myself at the same time.

Pussbak
30-01-2017, 06:01 PM
Mate try the clay bar process. Its works wonders where polishing and buffing (although a brand new car wouldnt require buffing) is not sufficient.
I clay bar my car at least quarterly and that takes of the environmental grit deposits.
Even removes fine overspray.
Also if the car has been washed under the hot sun the water dries too quickly before the chamois gets to it causing water/ detergent spots.

Mac135
30-01-2017, 06:02 PM
Has the dealer indicated whether they'll tend to the issue?

Yes, absolutely and very apologetic. We picked it up during the delivery and they tried to remedy it before leaving the show room but that didn't work. Have agreed that it will be dealt with at the first service.

rees
30-01-2017, 06:16 PM
Mate try the clay bar process. Its works wonders where polishing and buffing (although a brand new car wouldnt require buffing) is not sufficient.
I clay bar my car at least quarterly and that takes of the environmental grit deposits.
Even removes fine overspray.
Also if the car has been washed under the hot sun the water dries too quickly before the chamois gets to it causing water/ detergent spots.

Good to know! I'm definitely open to the clay bar if they can fix it with that. I was concerned because under a magnifying glass it did look like air bubbles, and I would rather them be responsible in case it is a defective clear coat.

I'm crossing my fingers it is a simple fix :)

Yes, absolutely and very apologetic. We picked it up during the delivery and they tried to remedy it before leaving the show room but that didn't work. Have agreed that it will be dealt with at the first service.

Oh that's good to hear! My dealer was quite hesitant to acknowledge the issue this morning, but finally did when I went back this afternoon. They're yet to extend an apology, but I'm not really surprised.. the customer service could do with a little improvement in general.

Glad to hear your experience has been a bit more positive.

Mac135
30-01-2017, 08:33 PM
Good to know! I'm definitely open to the clay bar if they can fix it with that. I was concerned because under a magnifying glass it did look like air bubbles, and I would rather them be responsible in case it is a defective clear coat.

I'm crossing my fingers it is a simple fix :)

Oh that's good to hear! My dealer was quite hesitant to acknowledge the issue this morning, but finally did when I went back this afternoon. They're yet to extend an apology, but I'm not really surprised.. the customer service could do with a little improvement in general.

Glad to hear your experience has been a bit more positive.

i have purchased several cars from this dealer and perhaps the fact that I have an Audi S3 sedan on order from their sister dealership might help.

kacak
31-01-2017, 02:42 AM
Hi all,

That's EXACTLY what I've seen on my black Tiguan too, and in my case it's all over multiple panels except the bonnet and roof, which makes me strongly suspect it occurred in transit. Have already shown it to the service manager but need to bring it in again for more detailed inspection at the body shop. I'm not looking forward to the process - please keep us informed on your progress.

Regdop
31-01-2017, 04:02 AM
in my case it's all over multiple panels except the bonnet and roof, which makes me strongly suspect it occurred in transit.

Just curious.... did the Tigs with the dodgy paint finish all come over on the same boat? Might be worth looking at?

rees
31-01-2017, 09:45 AM
That's EXACTLY what I've seen on my black Tiguan too, and in my case it's all over multiple panels except the bonnet and roof, which makes me strongly suspect it occurred in transit. Have already shown it to the service manager but need to bring it in again for more detailed inspection at the body shop. I'm not looking forward to the process - please keep us informed on your progress.

It's disappointing! I couldn't see any on the roof either. Hopefully it is just the salt issue.

I read elsewhere that some car makers spray a coating onto the car to reduce any risk of corrosion in preparation for shipment. The dealers for those cars are responsible for chemically removing that coating.

I'll definitely post an update throughout the process. My dealer is looking at mine on Thursday and they seem relatively confident it will be fixed the same day.

I'm still contemplating getting a second opinion just in case. My concern is that it won't be recorded anywhere, and if it ever returns or gets worse it'll be a pain to sort out.

Just curious.... did the Tigs with the dodgy paint finish all come over on the same boat? Might be worth looking at?

I took delivery in Canberra last Friday, the compliance plate is dated 01/2017. I believe it arrived about 2.5 weeks ago, but I'm not sure which ship it arrived on. Is there anyway to easily track this info down?

IsDon
31-01-2017, 10:18 AM
If the affected cars have these spots on everything except the bonnet and roof, which is covered in paper leaving the factory, it seems likely that something's been sprayed on them inadvertently after leaving the factory. Most likely on the boat.

I doubt it's salt spray. Even the most rudimentary of pre-delivery clean should have removed salt spray. More likely something more toxic like a cleaning chemical used on board to clean the deck has resulted in overspray on your vehicles. When left for an extended period without being removed, this chemical has leached into the clear coat.

If this were my car I would be getting a second opinion before allowing the dealer to fix the problem. Fore warned is fore armed.

A clay bar will remove surface bonded contamination without cutting into the clear coat. If it's something deeper than what a clay bar can remove then it will require a cutting compound. A cutting compound is an abrasive. By cutting the clear coat to the point that the marks are removed you have to remove some of the clear coat. If the contaminant is deep into the clear coat then a large amount of clear coat will have to be removed.

The clear coat is the protectant layer put on in the factory to protect the finish for the life of the vehicle. Cutting away a large proportion of this layer to remove this contaminant may leave you with a nice finish now, but in 5 years time, who knows? The dealer won't care as your warranty will be up by then.

I would take the car to someone like Definitive Car Detailing for their opinion. There are similar professional detailers like these in each state. Or even better, a panel beater you know and trust. Get their appraisal of the problem. If it requires an extensive cut, (anything more than what a clay bar can remove) I wouldn't be allowing the dealer to fix it. They would just cut the clear until the problem goes away for a short term fix. You're then left with potentially long term issues.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure it's documented not just with the dealer but with VW Australia. Everyone with this issue should make VW Australia aware so they may be able to track it down to a common cause. It may also protect you in the future if problems arise.

kacak
31-01-2017, 11:40 AM
It's disappointing! I couldn't see any on the roof either. Hopefully it is just the salt issue.

I read elsewhere that some car makers spray a coating onto the car to reduce any risk of corrosion in preparation for shipment. The dealers for those cars are responsible for chemically removing that coating.

I'll definitely post an update throughout the process. My dealer is looking at mine on Thursday and they seem relatively confident it will be fixed the same day.

I'm still contemplating getting a second opinion just in case. My concern is that it won't be recorded anywhere, and if it ever returns or gets worse it'll be a pain to sort out.

I took delivery in Canberra last Friday, the compliance plate is dated 01/2017. I believe it arrived about 2.5 weeks ago, but I'm not sure which ship it arrived on. Is there anyway to easily track this info down?

My delivery was in Oct 2016 (I booked it before the official launch) and believe mine was on the 2nd boat here.

Wolfgang
31-01-2017, 08:23 PM
Hi all,

It's hard to tell from the photos, but it appears you have water spotting. Tap water being allowed to dry on the car during or after washing in pre-delivery is most likely the cause. As the water dries the minerals in the water etch into the clear coat. A dedicated mineral deposit remover may remove it, but if has sat for a while it has most likely etched the clear coat and machine polishing is your only option.

If it was me, I'd have the dealership pay for a professional detailer to address the problem. Dealership detailers have a large quantity of cars to detail in a day, they probably won't have time to properly sort it out for you.

rees
31-01-2017, 09:16 PM
If the affected cars have these spots on everything except the bonnet and roof, which is covered in paper leaving the factory, it seems likely that something's been sprayed on them inadvertently after leaving the factory. Most likely on the boat.

I doubt it's salt spray. Even the most rudimentary of pre-delivery clean should have removed salt spray. More likely something more toxic like a cleaning chemical used on board to clean the deck has resulted in overspray on your vehicles. When left for an extended period without being removed, this chemical has leached into the clear coat.

If this were my car I would be getting a second opinion before allowing the dealer to fix the problem. Fore warned is fore armed.

A clay bar will remove surface bonded contamination without cutting into the clear coat. If it's something deeper than what a clay bar can remove then it will require a cutting compound. A cutting compound is an abrasive. By cutting the clear coat to the point that the marks are removed you have to remove some of the clear coat. If the contaminant is deep into the clear coat then a large amount of clear coat will have to be removed.

The clear coat is the protectant layer put on in the factory to protect the finish for the life of the vehicle. Cutting away a large proportion of this layer to remove this contaminant may leave you with a nice finish now, but in 5 years time, who knows? The dealer won't care as your warranty will be up by then.

I would take the car to someone like Definitive Car Detailing for their opinion. There are similar professional detailers like these in each state. Or even better, a panel beater you know and trust. Get their appraisal of the problem. If it requires an extensive cut, (anything more than what a clay bar can remove) I wouldn't be allowing the dealer to fix it. They would just cut the clear until the problem goes away for a short term fix. You're then left with potentially long term issues.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure it's documented not just with the dealer but with VW Australia. Everyone with this issue should make VW Australia aware so they may be able to track it down to a common cause. It may also protect you in the future if problems arise.

Thanks so much for the informative reply. Much appreciated :)

I spoke to two independent detailers today who have both indicated it's a case of dry water spots that have been left to etch the surface. The dealer has arranged for one of them conduct the repair on Thursday.

It turns out it's a close family friend of mine who will be doing the repair, so I have a bit more trust now.

I've also been in touch with VW Australia and have notified them of the fault to ensure its recorded against the VIN. Hopefully there's no future issues as a result of it, but I definitely wanted to make sure I'd be looked after if anything happened. Thanks for the tip!

It's hard to tell from the photos, but it appears you have water spotting. Tap water being allowed to dry on the car during or after washing in pre-delivery is most likely the cause. As the water dries the minerals in the water etch into the clear coat. A dedicated mineral deposit remover may remove it, but if has sat for a while it has most likely etched the clear coat and machine polishing is your only option.

If it was me, I'd have the dealership pay for a professional detailer to address the problem. Dealership detailers have a large quantity of cars to detail in a day, they probably won't have time to properly sort it out for you.

You're right on the money from what two detailers told me today. I feel much better now that I know that it's unlikely to be a major defect that would require a respray.

The dealer is getting an independent pro to handle it after I pointed out another issue with a scratch their own detailer had tried to fix (but failed) prior to delivery. Both should be resolved on Thursday, then fingers crossed it'll be case closed. :)

IsDon
31-01-2017, 09:49 PM
Sounds like a good outcome Rees. Especially getting a mate to fix it.

rees
03-02-2017, 08:45 AM
Update:

The paintwork was fixed yesterday, I'm relieved that the paintwork looks exactly how it should have originally.

I'm not entirely sure how they fixed it, but I've contacted VW for written confirmation it has been recorded for warranty.

TungstenR
03-02-2017, 09:50 AM
Update:

The paintwork was fixed yesterday, I'm relieved that the paintwork looks exactly how it should have originally.

I'm not entirely sure how they fixed it, but I've contacted VW for written confirmation it has been recorded for warranty.

What I always do is confirm issues in writing, email already is legally proof. They mostly respond by phone though, as to prevent it being written down and possibly being used as proof of what they've stated.

One of those things is that the salesman stated that my car would lower itself with 15mm when in Sport-mode (DCC, 162kw High R-line), and I still haven't seen anything of it. Yesterday he confirmed to me (by phone) that is what he was told at the training. I measured at the front wheel arches, he said it should be measured at the front, which I don't think could ever make a 15mm difference, but at least I have it confirmed by him.

rees
03-02-2017, 10:25 AM
What I always do is confirm issues in writing, email already is legally proof. They mostly respond by phone though, as to prevent it being written down and possibly being used as proof of what they've stated.

One of those things is that the salesman stated that my car would lower itself with 15mm when in Sport-mode (DCC, 162kw High R-line), and I still haven't seen anything of it. Yesterday he confirmed to me (by phone) that is what he was told at the training. I measured at the front wheel arches, he said it should be measured at the front, which I don't think could ever make a 15mm difference, but at least I have it confirmed by him.

That's such a bizarre claim. I haven't heard that either - admittedly I didn't get the R-like pack though.

Good idea - I've definitely kept written records and follow up everything we discuss verbally with an email.

IsDon
03-02-2017, 11:31 AM
Clearly he has it confused with air suspension. My A6 Allroad will jack itself above the normal setting if set to Allroad, similarly it will lower itself below normal in dynamic mode. That's not what the suspension on the Tig does. My understanding is it will firm up the ride but that's all.

drazman2000
03-02-2017, 02:01 PM
Does anyone know whether the rline has the swipe foot under boot to open? One dealer told me it doesn't on rline but is available on highline without rline

IsDon
03-02-2017, 02:07 PM
The R-Line is a Highline. I'd find it extraordinary if paying the extra coin for the R-Line pack removes that capability.

Certainly nothing I've read on it says that.

More likely he's had trouble demonstrating it (dumb as a box of hammers) and just leapt to this conclusion.

Gladbach
03-02-2017, 02:26 PM
Does anyone know whether the rline has the swipe foot under boot to open? One dealer told me it doesn't on rline but is available on highline without rline

Some of the crap that comes out of dealers' mouths is ridiculous.

TungstenR
03-02-2017, 02:34 PM
Clearly he has it confused with air suspension. My A6 Allroad will jack itself above the normal setting if set to Allroad, similarly it will lower itself below normal in dynamic mode. That's not what the suspension on the Tig does. My understanding is it will firm up the ride but that's all.

He's from VW (AUDI is next door) and referred to his recent Tiguan sales training...

rees
03-02-2017, 02:53 PM

The full specs are visible here - https://www.volkswagen.com.au/content/dam/vw-ngw/vw_pkw/importers/au/specifications/VWPTIGSPEMY17.5_WEB.pdf/_jcr_content/renditions/original.media_file.download_attachment.file/VWPTIGSPEMY17.5_WEB.pdf

I looked at the "Electrically operated automatic opening and closing of the tailgate with Easy Open and Easy Close functions" area and its standard on the Highline models. There is nothing to suggest this is excluded for the R-Line Package further down in the list - in fact, in the video reviews I watched in anticipation of my 162TSI, all were R-Lines and had the feature.

I agree with what some others have said... It's surprising how little the sales people know about the features. I had to laugh to myself with half the rubbish I was told during my test-drive, particularly when he couldn't work out how some features worked (he'd just read about them), luckily I was able to show him!

IsDon
03-02-2017, 04:29 PM
He's from VW (AUDI is next door) and referred to his recent Tiguan sales training...

Blind leading the blind.

With just a little bit of googling.

Adaptive Chassis Control (DCC) : Glossary : Volkswagen UK (http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/glossary/adaptive-chassis-control-dcc)

As for my references to Audi, that's what I know and have been driving for some time. My Tiguan (arriving sometime this year) is my first VW. You are aware, of course, that Audi, VW, and Skoda have many common parts, sometimes using different names and acronyms for what is essentially the same system.

A classic example:

VW-Active info display
Audi-Virtual cockpit

Different names for the exact same system.

Beowulf
03-02-2017, 08:35 PM

The Highline Rline has the easy open boot as well.

drazman2000
04-02-2017, 09:19 AM
Awesome! Can't wait for the car

jtan9695
04-02-2017, 02:25 PM
I brought my car back to the dealer to hand something back on my old car.

Then proceeded to inform one of the salesman there that I had a small chip on the side door. He then roughly rubbed his fingers on the chip to check i suppose. However this caused additional faint lines above and below the chip. Unbelievable ....

My question is will this be easy to fix?
I doubt they would waste time with me over a 2mm chip on the door.

A little bit pissed with the unnecessary additional faint lines added ... Anyway I am planning to fix this myself.

any suggestion or idea on how much its going to cost to fix and how long they will have to retain my car to fix this on third party bodyworkshop?

Also kinda worried that this habanero colour will be difficult to find ...

Thank you

kacak
04-02-2017, 05:25 PM
Update:

Great news - would be good to confirm how they fixed it. Also, was this done under manufacturer's warranty or dealership cost?

rees
04-02-2017, 05:36 PM
Great news - would be good to confirm how they fixed it. Also, was this done under manufacturer's warranty or dealership cost?

Apparently some chemical process, I'm not 100% sure just that the bottle of stuff they used apparently cost $400 + labour costs.

It was fixed at the dealers expense, but I've sent all the paperwork to Volkswagen Australia to make sure it's recorded.

kacak
05-02-2017, 09:57 AM
Apparently some chemical process, I'm not 100% sure just that the bottle of stuff they used apparently cost $400 + labour costs.

It was fixed at the dealers expense, but I've sent all the paperwork to Volkswagen Australia to make sure it's recorded.

Ok thanks

Frogasaursas
08-02-2017, 07:44 PM
Just a quick update on my scratches and misaligned wheel arch. The dealer took the car back and has fixed them, along with a scratch that we might have made. It was pretty painless in the end and I was impressed with how apologetic and efficient they were.

One question for the paint experts out there - can I wax the car or do I need to wait for the paint to cure?!? Or is it irrelevant because it is such a small area that would have been sprayed/touched up?

NZ_GolfR
21-02-2017, 09:36 AM
My dealer did a great job or repairing the paint chips on the door of my Tiguan however unfortunately another issue has cropped up with my Tiguan.

After cleaning it for the first time over the weekend I noticed some yellow spots all over the front bumper. After looking closely I also noticed them on the rear bumper and to a lesser extent on the doors and guards. They almost look like rust spots but thought they might be tar marks (when you clean off the black tar it some times leaves some orange/yellow sticky marks that are a bit harder to remove). I tried some tar remover that got rid of a couple other marks but these didn't budge.

I had more of a look and noticed there weren't any sign of them on the bonnet, roof or tailgate which I know are covered in plastic when they ship them so this made me think it must be something that has got on it in transit. Emailed the dealer over the weekend and was a bit worried as I hadn't spotted it when I originally picked up the car about a month ago but the are really small and have to look closely to see but the closer you look the more you see.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/02/40e540046778ec78b864a5be98f4974d-2.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/02/41ba19ee1005267e2005c475ffb9e54f-2.jpg
Sorry not the easiest to take photos of.

Dealer got back to me first thing to say she got my message and was finding out with the service manager the best way to proceed. I dropped the car into them this morning and they are going to get a panel body shop to have a look at it and work out how to remove them.

Once again I am really happy with the way the dealer is handling this, they have given me a loan car to use while it gets sorted (surprisingly another Tiguan all be it a 2WD Comfortline) and at no stage indicated that there would be any issue with not noticing it straight away. Now I am just waiting to hear from them as to what they find out and how to get it resolved.

rees
21-02-2017, 09:41 AM
My dealer did a great job or repairing the paint chips on the door of my Tiguan however unfortunately another issue has cropped up with my Tiguan.

After cleaning it for the first time over the weekend I noticed some yellow spots all over the front bumper. After looking closely I also noticed them on the rear bumper and to a lesser extent on the doors and guards. They almost look like rust spots but thought they might be tar marks (when you clean off the black tar it some times leaves some orange/yellow sticky marks that are a bit harder to remove). I tried some tar remover that got rid of a couple other marks but these didn't budge.

I had more of a look and noticed there weren't any sign of them on the bonnet, roof or tailgate which I know are covered in plastic when they ship them so this made me think it must be something that has got on it in transit. Emailed the dealer over the weekend and was a bit worried as I hadn't spotted it when I originally picked up the car about a month ago but the are really small and have to look closely to see but the closer you look the more you see.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/02/40e540046778ec78b864a5be98f4974d-2.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/02/41ba19ee1005267e2005c475ffb9e54f-2.jpg

Dealer got back to me first thing to say she got my message and was finding out with the service manager the best way to proceed. I dropped the car into them this morning and they are going to get a panel body shop to have a look at it and work out how to remove them.

Once again I am really happy with the way the dealer is handling this, they have given me a loan car to use while it gets sorted (surprisingly another Tiguan all be it a 2WD Comfortline) and at no stage indicated that there would be any issue with not noticing it straight away. Now I am just waiting to hear from them as to what they find out and how to get it resolved.

I had a similar issue with dry water etching on my new Tiguan (a few posts earlier in the thread). My car is the Habanero Orange so I could only see white spots, but under close inspection it did appear to show darker areas like this.

I noticed just after I had left the dealership, and took it back so they could fix it - it's never a good feeling to find these little defects, but hopefully they will sort it out for you.

I've heard of this happening to multiple people since, all (including myself) didn't notice under the pristine showroom lighting.

I really have to question whether the dealership prep guys even do their checks. It's frustrating, and I expect better from the dealers.

NZ_GolfR
21-02-2017, 09:59 AM
I had a similar issue with dry water etching on my new Tiguan (a few posts earlier in the thread). My car is the Habanero Orange so I could only see white spots, but under close inspection it did appear to show darker areas like this.

I noticed just after I had left the dealership, and took it back so they could fix it - it's never a good feeling to find these little defects, but hopefully they will sort it out for you.

I've heard of this happening to multiple people since, all (including myself) didn't notice under the pristine showroom lighting.

I really have to question whether the dealership prep guys even do their checks. It's frustrating, and I expect better from the dealers.

Thanks, yes saw your post and thought it would be a similar issue although it is odd they are yellow marks, understand the water etching would leave white marks unless it is to do with mine being a white car.

Yes it is a little frustrating but I don't hold it against the dealer and don't see any point in getting grumpy with them. As I have said they have always treated me well so no reason to not do the same to them.

Edkhor
21-02-2017, 11:59 AM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/02/b84644b2431c7c83e7467d077de3d240-2.jpghttp://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/02/3c2a1450b5f3ba79f346e88945b48f4e-2.jpg

Asked my dealer not to even do any pre delivery. Prefer to get it done professionally. Removed the plastic covers and sticker myself. Hassle free!

Eyes24
21-02-2017, 12:01 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/02/b84644b2431c7c83e7467d077de3d240-2.jpghttp://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/02/3c2a1450b5f3ba79f346e88945b48f4e-2.jpg

Asked my dealer not to even do any pre delivery. Prefer to get it done professionally. Removed the plastic covers and sticker myself. Hassle free!

Wtf?

Edkhor
21-02-2017, 12:08 PM
Wtf?

Of course everything else was checked but I'd prefer to remove the covers and not let the guys clean it. More harm than good. My Golf R looked like someone used sandpaper to detail it when I picked it up 2 years ago. So now the Tiguan has no blemishes.

NZ_GolfR
21-02-2017, 12:09 PM

While I see you point, personally I would rather have the dealer do the pre delivery inspection, that way if there are any issues (as I have had now) you have a single point to go back to to get it resolved.

Edkhor
21-02-2017, 12:11 PM
While I see you point, personally I would rather have the dealer do the pre delivery inspection, that way if there are any issues (as I have had now) you have a single point to go back to to get it resolved.

Of course i did do a pre delivery with my dealer as he's a friend and he even helped me remove the covers. We still went over the car to make sure all is in good order

Eyes24
21-02-2017, 01:38 PM
Of course everything else was checked but I'd prefer to remove the covers and not let the guys clean it. More harm than good. My Golf R looked like someone used sandpaper to detail it when I picked it up 2 years ago. So now the Tiguan has no blemishes.

It looked like the roof was dented.

TungstenR
21-02-2017, 03:25 PM
You mean, for a moment it looked like a tree had landed on the roof... :icon_yikes:

Eyes24
21-02-2017, 03:34 PM
You mean, for a moment it looked like a tree had landed on the roof... :icon_yikes:

Yep lol

Edkhor
21-02-2017, 05:41 PM
Yep lol

Yes that's what I thought the first time I saw it too! [emoji16]

Schland77
24-02-2017, 04:25 PM
So, picked my my car 2 days ago and now noticed what I believe is a defect in the windscreen- there is a 10c size spot in the the windscreen that when I look up and down over the defect it disfigures everything seen through it- I tried to wipe it first to see if it was just some sticky stuff left on it but nothing happened - does anyone has ever experienced that or any idea what that could be? I will take the car to the dealer tomorrow to check- other than that, love the car

NZ_GolfR
24-02-2017, 08:20 PM

Got my car back this afternoon and really happy. Was definitely something from the boat ride over, the dealers had the car clay barred which removed all the marks perfectly.

As an apology for not picking them up in the pre-delivery inspection they arranged for the car to get the Dura-Seal Paint Protection treatment applied free of charge which you got to be happy about. I know people have mixed opinions about this stuff but I was actually considering getting something done to help protect the paint on the car after this anyway. I had Dura-Seal on my old MK6 Golf and while it wasn't perfect it did make cleaning the car much easier and I can definitely feel a difference on the Tiguan with it applied, the paint feels so much smoother.

When they told me they were going to have the Dura-Seal done I asked about getting the stone chips fixed on the bonnet before getting it done. I had asked if they could do this when the paint chips on the door were fixed but unfortunately it didn't get done. Due to the size of the chips and the fact the stone/rock that hit the bonnet actually caused small dents they had to respray the whole bonnet. I have to the pay for the respray (not surprised with this and fully expected) but they managed it all for me, dropped the car to them Tuesday morning and picked it up this afternoon, and all the time they gave me a Tiguan 110TSI Highline to drive around in.

I know some of your guys over there have had some issues with your dealers but I would have no problems recommending Tristram European to anyone here in Auckland (or outside and happy to travel) looking to buy a VW or Skoda (when they start selling these in the next couple of month).

Great to be back in the R Line, was incredibly surprised about how nice the 1.4L 110TSI Highline was to drive but still nothing on the 162TSI.

rees
25-02-2017, 07:12 AM
Got my car back this afternoon and really happy. Was definitely something from the boat ride over, the dealers had the car clay barred which removed all the marks perfectly.

As an apology for not picking them up in the pre-delivery inspection they arranged for the car to get the Dura-Seal Paint Protection treatment applied free of charge which you got to be happy about. I know people have mixed opinions about this stuff but I was actually considering getting something done to help protect the paint on the car after this anyway. I had Dura-Seal on my old MK6 Golf and while it wasn't perfect it did make cleaning the car much easier and I can definitely feel a difference on the Tiguan with it applied, the paint feels so much smoother.

When they told me they were going to have the Dura-Seal done I asked about getting the stone chips fixed on the bonnet before getting it done. I had asked if they could do this when the paint chips on the door were fixed but unfortunately it didn't get done. Due to the size of the chips and the fact the stone/rock that hit the bonnet actually caused small dents they had to respray the whole bonnet. I have to the pay for the respray (not surprised with this and fully expected) but they managed it all for me, dropped the car to them Tuesday morning and picked it up this afternoon, and all the time they gave me a Tiguan 110TSI Highline to drive around in.

I know some of your guys over there have had some issues with your dealers but I would have no problems recommending Tristram European to anyone here in Auckland (or outside and happy to travel) looking to buy a VW or Skoda (when they start selling these in the next couple of month).

Great to be back in the R Line, was incredibly surprised about how nice the 1.4L 110TSI Highline was to drive but still nothing on the 162TSI.

Wow, that's a great outcome! Definitely a dealer who is passionate about their brand/reputation. Nice one!

IsDon
25-02-2017, 07:23 AM
Wow, that's a great outcome! Definitely a dealer who is passionate about their brand/reputation. Nice one!

Indeed a great outcome. In NZ though not in Australia.

It seems the Tasman is merely a puddle when compared with the gulf that exists between the relative dealer experience in NZ and Australia. The culture of the dealers in Australia is appalling by comparison. They have a lot to learn from their colleagues across the ditch.

NZ_GolfR
25-02-2017, 08:47 AM

It seems the Tasman is merely a puddle when compared with the gulf that exists between the relative dealer experience in NZ and Australia. The culture of the dealers in Australia is appalling by comparison. They have a lot to learn from their colleagues across the ditch.

I had wondered if it was anything to do with you guys have car brokers over there, while they are obviously good for the consumer in getting the prices down it must make it harder for the dealer with more pressure to match prices and therefore lower margins.

Over here we don't have anything like that, or even corporate discounts, if you want to buy a new VW you can only deal directly with the dealer (unless planning on leasing). It does mean we do end up paying higher prices but the dealers seem more interested in working with the buyer to make sure they are happy.

When it comes to second hand cars however it is a different story here with all the Jap imports we have coming in and the countless second hand car dealers here...

Flipper Dog
25-02-2017, 09:49 AM

As an example of the NZ VW experience, I ended up with a flat head from banging it against "customer service" at VW Aust. In the end I emailed the NZ office and had a reply that afternoon with the information I had been seeking for weeks. Facts were confirmed, myths put to rest and part numbers provided. Took this to my local dealer and they were a little surprised I had made progress. They had approached VW Aust via their means and was also getting the run around.

kacak
25-02-2017, 09:55 AM
So it could be a reflection of the different approaches in the country head offices, rather than dealers?

IsDon
25-02-2017, 11:42 AM
As an example of the NZ VW experience, I ended up with a flat head from banging it against "customer service" at VW Aust. In the end I emailed the NZ office and had a reply that afternoon with the information I had been seeking for weeks. Facts were confirmed, myths put to rest and part numbers provided. Took this to my local dealer and they were a little surprised I had made progress. They had approached VW Aust via their means and was also getting the run around.

For the good of everyone here, may I request you send a copy of your correspondence from VW NZ to VW Aust to demonstrate to them how demonstrably bad their service is compared to NZ. Maybe CC head office in Germany.

We shouldn't have to look outside our own country to get the service expected.

Flipper Dog
25-02-2017, 01:30 PM
What good would that do to VW Australia. They are more interested in volume sales than customer service. Look at how they release models in Australia, slowly adding features which are available else where and we have to wait for them as MY updates, restricting us with colours (internal and external) and engine types (where's the 176 TDI Tiguan ?????).
I have been a VW customer for a few years, love the product, but can't stand the way they have no idea what they have here in Australia. Some dealers go the extra and research what is there (Carlos and Steve in outer Sydney dealerships) but others only spit out the corporate message. Customer service must share the same call centre as Telstra and trying to get them to provide a technical answer is next to impossible.
I even stopped in at the head office once to change my address for their magazine (on the way home from work) only to be told that they couldn't do that there, to ring the customer service number - WTF !!!!

Schland77
25-02-2017, 03:31 PM
So, picked my my car 2 days ago and now noticed what I believe is a defect in the windscreen- there is a 10c size spot in the the windscreen that when I look up and down over the defect it disfigures everything seen through it- I tried to wipe it first to see if it was just some sticky stuff left on it but nothing happened - does anyone has ever experienced that or any idea what that could be? I will take the car to the dealer tomorrow to check- other than that, love the car

So, went to the dealer today and they agreed with me- a defect within the glass of the windscreen, manufacturing issue - they will replace it when they fit the towbar

Gladbach
25-02-2017, 05:06 PM
What good would that do to VW Australia. They are more interested in volume sales than customer service. Look at how they release models in Australia, slowly adding features which are available else where and we have to wait for them as MY updates, restricting us with colours (internal and external) and engine types (where's the 176 TDI Tiguan ?????).
I have been a VW customer for a few years, love the product, but can't stand the way they have no idea what they have here in Australia. Some dealers go the extra and research what is there (Carlos and Steve in outer Sydney dealerships) but others only spit out the corporate message. Customer service must share the same call centre as Telstra and trying to get them to provide a technical answer is next to impossible.
I even stopped in at the head office once to change my address for their magazine (on the way home from work) only to be told that they couldn't do that there, to ring the customer service number - WTF !!!!

To be fair, VW Australia really wanted the 176TDI in Australia but it was VW global who refused because they were concerned about the climate.

Still, I've found both the dealerships and VW Australia to be difficult to deal with. A lot of the dealers I've have experienced in the past have been arrogant, and have been either very aggressive in trying to get a sale, or quite the opposite. For example, I went in to Brookvale to take the 162TSI for a drive when it was first available and the dealer was dismissive and actually reluctant to allow me to take it for a drive. When I was more forthright and told him that I was very interested in buying one, he allowed me to take it but asked me to keep it short because he didn't want too many KMs on the demo car.

dinot81
27-02-2017, 11:53 AM
[QUOTE=Gladbach;1219152]To be fair, VW Australia really wanted the 176TDI in Australia but it was VW global who refused because they were concerned about the climate.

Multivan and Amarok both have the Bi-Tdi fitted to them and sold here. Why is the Tiguan so special? I would assume the engines are very similar to each other, just different power / torque outputs.

I persoanlly think that VWA don't want to offer the engine as might impact the sales of others. Same reason as why we don't have Mk7 Golf GTD here. Would sit between 110TDI Highline and GTI in terms of pricing and nobody would even consider the 110TDI. I would take a base GTD any day over any fully equipped Highline 110TDI. Even when you add R-Line pack, still worlds apart. The engine fitted to GTD is the same as found in Octavia RS and can't say that it's too hot here in Oz for that eingine. Even NZ has better options and colours available across the range than us here.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Gladbach
27-02-2017, 12:30 PM
[QUOTE=Gladbach;1219152]To be fair, VW Australia really wanted the 176TDI in Australia but it was VW global who refused because they were concerned about the climate.

Multivan and Amarok both have the Bi-Tdi fitted to them and sold here. Why is the Tiguan so special? I would assume the engines are very similar to each other, just different power / torque outputs.

I persoanlly think that VWA don't want to offer the engine as might impact the sales of others. Same reason as why we don't have Mk7 Golf GTD here. Would sit between 110TDI Highline and GTI in terms of pricing and nobody would even consider the 110TDI. I would take a base GTD any day over any fully equipped Highline 110TDI. Even when you add R-Line pack, still worlds apart. The engine fitted to GTD is the same as found in Octavia RS and can't say that it's too hot here in Oz for that eingine. Even NZ has better options and colours available across the range than us here.

I don't know the reasoning, but my point was that VWA wanted the bi-turbo TDI but VW global didn't allow it. That's according VWA, unless they're bull****ting.

I still think that the 206TSI in the Tiguan would have been awesome.

dinot81
27-02-2017, 12:36 PM
[QUOTE=dinot81;1219354]
I don't know the reasoning, but my point was that VWA wanted the bi-turbo TDI but VW global didn't allow it. That's according VWA, unless they're bull****ting.

I still think that the 206TSI in the Tiguan would have been awesome.
I think that is BS too. There have been talks about an Tiguan R (with Golf R engine) just before the release of this current model according to AutoBild but VW only said that it will remain a possibility. Plus this:

2017 Volkswagen Tiguan R potentially spied outside the Nurburgring (http://www.caradvice.com.au/492401/2017-volkswagen-tiguan-r-potentially-spied-outside-the-nurburgring/)
Maybe on the facelift update they could add it to the range. R models are always late, usually released a year later.

edison_1234
27-02-2017, 08:58 PM
Shouldn't they do quality control at the factory and at the dealership before you pick it up?

Gladbach
27-02-2017, 09:08 PM
Shouldn't they do quality control at the factory and at the dealership before you pick it up?

This was already answered in the "Quality Control?" thread that you started. They do.

VWVY
07-03-2017, 01:02 PM
took delivery exactly 1 week ago ...

.. you tiguan fanatics here would be able to tell what is wrong in that pic :(

Gladbach
07-03-2017, 01:08 PM

No R-Line badge on the side...

Eyes24
07-03-2017, 01:09 PM
No R-Line badge on the side...

That's pretty bad on Vw behalf.

dinot81
07-03-2017, 01:10 PM
That's pretty bad on Vw behalf.

Must have been a Friday it was built LOL

chemics
07-03-2017, 01:11 PM
Hmmm tricky nothing really obvious stands out "cant see the wood for the trees"!
Only thing i can see is maybe the antenna not colour coded?

VWVY
07-03-2017, 01:32 PM
Must have been a Friday it was built LOL

only half funny but it was the christmas break they were thinking about as it was built in week 51 last yr

even our dealer missed it ... and me too :facepalm: .. until we were about to drive off and wife ask if there was supposed to have something on the sides ...

now we have to wait 2-3 weeks from Germany for the 2 pairs (both sides missing!) ... screws up our plan to bring the car for optic coating this friday as they coat the badges too and do photoshoot for their clients.

Meantime the car is still under 140kms on the clock sitting in the garage as we want it coat sealed first before driving around too much.

I rather have the car built 2-3 weeks later and receive a 2017 built car complete next month

Roddy
08-03-2017, 06:27 PM

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/02/40e540046778ec78b864a5be98f4974d-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/02/41ba19ee1005267e2005c475ffb9e54f-1.jpg

These LOOK like what happened to an old, don't laugh, Mitsubishi Magna I bought, brand new. Caused by filings that landed on the bumper bars from where the dealer drilled into the bodywork to fit the rego plates. Filings then caused surface rust on the bumpers' surface.

Roddy
08-03-2017, 06:38 PM
I KNOW this thread was created to discuss defects and their solutions, but, honestly, some of these defects simply should have been picked up well before the cars got into the hands of their owners. The dealers must be blind. I also KNOW pre delivery is NOT to be confused with Delivery Charges, but given you guys, and me when I buy a car, generally pay some form of delivery fee, I'd be after a refund for some of these cars' delivery charges. The dealers are simply NOT doing their jobs in getting the cars to the owners in a fit and proper state, so why pay them for the "privilege "?

Edkhor
09-03-2017, 07:50 AM

I actually don't mind it without the badge

VWVY
09-03-2017, 01:59 PM
I actually don't mind it without the badge

hehee...you don't mind me to have yours then?

.... but seriously ... i'm not really joking

Sir Tiguanalot
11-06-2017, 03:02 PM
As far as damage and problems go I'm finding this thread quite heartening. We're many months from receiving our new Tiguan (ordered last week) but it seems that despite some things being missed during pre-delivery, the dealers have all come to the party and made good without any fuss. And they've been hard-to-spot, minor problems to begin with.

Not at all the experience I had with my last new car (not a Volkswagen). There were some serious, obvious defects that were not noticed and some of them took a lot of argument to resolve.

People make mistakes; it's how they're dealt with that distinguishes them and the brand.

spicyrambutan
25-06-2017, 11:34 PM
Hi Everyone,

I picked up my new Tiguan 162TSI R-Line with DAP and Sunroof a few days ago and am very disappointed with the quality of the workmanship with respect to the slight but noticeable misalignment of body panels and trims across various parts of the vehicle, noticeable by both touch and also by eye, in some cases.

For example, the stainless steel metallic trims above the front and rear doors on both sides of the vehicle don't form a straight line, and are not only misaligned along the curve of the top of the windows, but also they are set at different depths. This to me doesn't look, and feel right, and is certainly not in keeping with VW quality that I expect. I have attached some photos of the defects.

After several managers at the dealership came to inspect it, their conclusion was that there is nothing that can be done as it is a robot assembled mass produced car, and not hand assembled. The other point they made is that if an attempt is made to re-align those panels, other symmetry in the body panel alignment will be thrown out. Anyhow, the sales consultant is going to provide me with the customer service contact number for VW Australia, but overall I am not satisfied at the overall build quality.

Has anyone else experienced similar quality issues with the panels on the new Tiguan? I am interested to hear if these anomalies are consistent across other Tiguans.

Looking forward to your comments and feedback.

29706 2970629706

Pzero
26-06-2017, 06:41 AM
To be honest, I've seen these symmetry and alignment inconsistencies with Mercedes as well. Not sure what you can do...

popeye
26-06-2017, 06:43 AM
Hi Everyone,

I picked up my new Tiguan 162TSI R-Line with DAP and Sunroof a few days ago and am very disappointed with the quality of the workmanship with respect to the slight but noticeable misalignment of body panels and trims across various parts of the vehicle, noticeable by both touch and also by eye, in some cases.

For example, the stainless steel metallic trims above the front and rear doors on both sides of the vehicle don't form a straight line, and are not only misaligned along the curve of the top of the windows, but also they are set at different depths. This to me doesn't look, and feel right, and is certainly not in keeping with VW quality that I expect. I have attached some photos of the defects.

After several managers at the dealership came to inspect it, their conclusion was that there is nothing that can be done as it is a robot assembled mass produced car, and not hand assembled. The other point they made is that if an attempt is made to re-align those panels, other symmetry in the body panel alignment will be thrown out. Anyhow, the sales consultant is going to provide me with the customer service contact number for VW Australia, but overall I am not satisfied at the overall build quality.

Has anyone else experienced similar quality issues with the panels on the new Tiguan? I am interested to hear if these anomalies are consistent across other Tiguans.

Looking forward to your comments and feedback.

29706 2970629706

Having actually worked on and supervised for many years that particular process of vehicle assembly in a local manufacturer i can tell you that is a lot of horse**** they are feeding you.
There is no way that is acceptable for a car to leave the factory like that.
The tolerance for panel deviation is + or - 1.5MM for most mass production manufacturers and 0.5mm for higher end prestige .

As far as the adjustment and the throw out of alignment of other panels is correct,however the process should entail a full round the body alignment of all the bolt on parts including the trimms .

Body shell design allows for adjustments because as they say is a mass production automated production line.

Just remind them that you payed a premium for their top of the line product (for a Tiguan ).
Not that should make a difference in the quality you received anyway.

I hope that is not their standard and just an oversight that was missed in the factory and they come good for you.
I also hope mine doesn't come in the same condition cause i will blow a fuse.[emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Vwvw1212
26-06-2017, 10:13 AM
To be honest, I've seen these symmetry and alignment inconsistencies with Mercedes as well. Not sure what you can do...
I agree. I have seen Porsche, Mercedes, BMW have these issues. I am getting a rline sunroof dap as well but from the pictures I wouldn't be too fussed. It is never going to be perfect.

Gladbach
27-06-2017, 12:08 AM
Everything on mine was perfect.

Rob13
08-07-2017, 04:34 PM
29787Mine was fine bar a really odd fault in the carpet of the drivers footwell... like it was warn? there is an area about 10x4cm that is 'ruffled'and feels totally different to the rest of the carpet, I left it as it was a company car but I can imagine fixing it would have been a mission - everything out to change the carpet? (I would have asked for this if it was my car)

Chewie
02-08-2017, 10:54 PM
Oh man. I have just discovered what I think is a manufacturing fault on my Tiggy! :(

Passenger side rear door. The rubber piece on window. It looks like they did not install this piece correctly as there is a raised section.
The other rear door also has a little area on the bottom with a raised section...

I will raise this with my dealer. :(

Chocolate_Bear
03-08-2017, 03:26 PM
Oh man. I have just discovered what I think is a manufacturing fault on my Tiggy! :(

Passenger side rear door. The rubber piece on window. It looks like they did not install this piece correctly as there is a raised section.
The other rear door also has a little area on the bottom with a raised section...

I will raise this with my dealer. :(

Sucks!! Well hope it's a quick fix. Can't really see it in the pic.

Tiguan 162tsi Rline fully loaded (June 2017) - NSW, Northern Beaches

Chewie
03-08-2017, 04:05 PM
Sucks!! Well hope it's a quick fix. Can't really see it in the pic.

Tiguan 162tsi Rline fully loaded (June 2017) - NSW, Northern Beaches

I'm not quite sure how to rotate the image, but if you were to rotate the image 90 degrees clockwise, you will be looking at the window in the correct orientation.

There is then a 'vertical' rubber line that runs down the window (separating the moving window to the static one) that rubber piece in my picture you can see that it is not flat as it should be.

I know it's hard to see. That's probably why I had missed it too during the pick up. I only noticed it from the shadow the lip created... :(