PDA

View Full Version : Manual or DSG

shaker
08-01-2008, 10:15 AM
Hi All,
I am looking at buying an EOS and have only been able to get a drive of a manual gearbox version. While this was a great drive, I am wondering if anybody could give me their exxperiences driving a manual versus the DSG car. I am worried the DSG will not be as exciting to drive?

VW Convert
08-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Hi All,
I am looking at buying an EOS and have only been able to get a drive of a manual gearbox version. While this was a great drive, I am wondering if anybody could give me their exxperiences driving a manual versus the DSG car. I am worried the DSG will not be as exciting to drive?

I have DSG in my Jetta and love it. It is quite uniqe to drive being a computer controlled manual rather than an automatic and it definitely does not feel like a conventional automatic.

Light throttle upshifts are almost imperceptable but give it a bit of stick and the absence of interruption to acceleration during gearchanges is quite remarkable. It is not a perfect transmission, it does occasionally appear to become hesitant with downshifts to second but on highway kickdown for overtaking is to all intents and purposes instantaneous.

My suggestion would be to ask your dealer for a drive of a Golf or Jetta with DSG and a similar engine to the Eos you are considering, this would give you something to compare against.

Cheers

George

anarchycamp
08-01-2008, 10:45 AM
The only way to decide is to drive one....we could say anything and everyone has their preferences.

You might get bored of a DSG box, but i drive a Manual during the week and DSG at the weekends at the moment and still enjoy the novelty of DSG occasionaly.

What kind of driving do you do mainly? City Traffic? OPen Road?

shaker
08-01-2008, 03:00 PM
Unfortunately I sit in bumper to bumper traffic for 45 minutes every morning driving along Lane Cove Rd in Sydney (uphill to make things worse), and at present drive a manual. This is my reason for looking at the DSG as you can imagine how many times my foot is on and off the clutch during my commute. Having said that I like a bit of spirited driving through the National Park south of Sydney and want a car that is interesting to push along.

Guy_H
08-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Unfortunately I sit in bumper to bumper traffic for 45 minutes every morning driving along Lane Cove Rd in Sydney (uphill to make things worse), and at present drive a manual. This is my reason for looking at the DSG as you can imagine how many times my foot is on and off the clutch during my commute. Having said that I like a bit of spirited driving through the National Park south of Sydney and want a car that is interesting to push along.

In that case a DSG would be the go for you. The manual is great, but in heavy traffic the DSG wins hands down :)

VW Convert
08-01-2008, 03:06 PM
Having said that I like a bit of spirited driving through the National Park south of Sydney and want a car that is interesting to push along.

Easy, get a demo vehicle and do that exact run, I did it last week in mine, was a great drive but watch out for the guys on their pushbikes!

Cheers

George

Mischa
08-01-2008, 07:23 PM

sounds like me. i bought a dsg originally because of traffic. worst decision ever and now im back in a manual and love it :)

dont get me wrong the dsg is the BEST auto money can buy, but its nothing compared to the excitement and driving pleasure of a manual :)

i learnt to hate the dsg and the pushy over controlling computer

95vr6
08-01-2008, 07:37 PM
DSG box wins hands down, run in auto mode around town then shift into "S" mode the gearbox is totally different, then shift into manual mode for more controll . If only i could order one for my new T5.

shaker
08-01-2008, 09:05 PM
I don't think the EOS has paddle shifts for the DSG which is a bit of a shame as it takes some of the fun out of it. Might just stick with a manual and stop complaining about driving in stop/start taffic.

Mischa
08-01-2008, 09:25 PM
I don't think the EOS has paddle shifts for the DSG which is a bit of a shame as it takes some of the fun out of it. Might just stick with a manual and stop complaining about driving in stop/start taffic.

good choice :D

VW Convert
09-01-2008, 07:32 AM

The Jetta doesn't have them either but it is still fun to use as a manual whenever I feel so inclined. IMHO it would be a shame to make such a decision without even driving a DSG.

Cheers

George

briseos
10-01-2008, 07:46 AM
I have had a Golf 2.0TDi with DSG and fell in love with it. The DSG is especially brilliantly matched to the diesel engine with all that beautiful torque.

Now, I have the EOS with the DSG also in the 2.0TDi and it is even better. The EOS diesel engine and general build quality is a quantum leap above my golf (2005 GenV) and the DSG makes life sooooo good.... the point being that the DSG allows you to have as much or little control as you like whenever you desire.

In traffic, with the Diesel (cannot speak for the petrol), the DSG will allow you to roll quietly along in the traffic up quite a gradient at idle without any problems, then you are away and picking any gaps you need with minimal effort. When you get into the back streets, you can use manual mode (would love the paddles) and become a speed demon.... then back into auto in the traffic. On the open road, the DSG is brilliant - economical, on the ball and never faults....

I must say, however, that the way you use your right foot is distinctly different to a normal auto in that it learns your style, and prefers a gentle change in intent... it is very good at interpreting your intent as long as you are consistent and will reward your consistency with a version of ESP that is not related to traction control..... the issue here is that you will not master it on a few short test drives but I guarantee you will learn to love it and never go back..... especially if you combine it with the creamy torque and economy of the diesel..... soooo quiet in the EOS it is unbelievable.... and driving with the top off lends itself to the cruisy attitude that the DSG offers should you so desire....

OilBurna
10-01-2008, 12:12 PM
good writeup briseos I agree, you need to be consistent and firm with your driver style and more of a gradual adjustment with the accelerator rather than stabbing it etc.. it is a brilliant box when you consider what and how it does it, gearchanges are seamless compared to my mates six speed heavy slow vehicle (HSV)

post some pics of the eos. looking at getting one for the other half.

Golf Houso
10-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Manual... Quickly before Mercedes and the VAG group kill it off for good!

briseos
21-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Pretty car attached..... bloody love it and goes like stink now - up to 12,500ks and just loosening up the diesel.... should chip it as soon as I can convince the missus..... :rolleyes:

OilBurna
21-01-2008, 07:27 PM
very nice love the colour... are the std 17's??

sydeos
22-01-2008, 07:50 PM
The wheels are 18" Veracruz alloys which are standard with the Individual package.

jets
26-01-2008, 05:25 PM
This could be worth a read.

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/1025625.aspx

Gaebril
27-01-2008, 02:01 AM
This could be worth a read.

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/1025625.aspx

Jets, that is scary... I am currently in the process of getting a GTi, and I am seriously considering going manual instead of DSG as I plan to keep the car for more than 5 years (extent of any warranty).

jets
27-01-2008, 09:17 AM
When I bought my 2,0TDI, I didn't think too long as to which trans to order. I already own a T4 auto. & theres a lot of bad publicity in forums about these. I considered that the technology is too new & unproven & my perception of VW is that they want to be ahead in technology without testing it properly. Basically VW are using us for long term testing, which is very dangerous for their reputation.
The other point I have found in reading forums is the no of owners who are hoping to get through 3 years of ownership & then hand ball it on. It's easy to predict what will happen to resale prices in the future of these expensive cars.
My plan is to keep my car as long as possible [ previous mk2 owned for 12 years] & as such the auto is not a consideration.

jb747
25-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Can't see why you couldn't put an R32 or GTI steering wheel into an EOS. That would give you the paddle shifts, plus a beautiful wheel.

I thought long and hard about the gearbox when I was deciding on what to buy. Over the years, we've had about 90% manuals, but some cars just work best with an auto box. Of course, the DSG isn't really a auto gearbox, nor it is a manual....

I test drove manuals and DSG, and came to the conclusion that in an R32 or a diesel, the DSG wins hands down. In a non turbo petrol, I'd take the manual, and in a turbo petrol toss a coin. We bought the DSG, and just love it.

davemoore
25-11-2008, 06:11 PM
DSG every time, regardless of what type of driving IMHO.

CatonaPC©
25-11-2008, 06:27 PM
I have had a Golf 2.0TDi with DSG and fell in love with it. The DSG is especially brilliantly matched to the diesel engine with all that beautiful torque.

Now, I have the EOS with the DSG also in the 2.0TDi and it is even better. The EOS diesel engine and general build quality is a quantum leap above my golf (2005 GenV) and the DSG makes life sooooo good.... the point being that the DSG allows you to have as much or little control as you like whenever you desire.

In traffic, with the Diesel (cannot speak for the petrol), the DSG will allow you to roll quietly along in the traffic up quite a gradient at idle without any problems, then you are away and picking any gaps you need with minimal effort. When you get into the back streets, you can use manual mode (would love the paddles) and become a speed demon.... then back into auto in the traffic. On the open road, the DSG is brilliant - economical, on the ball and never faults....

I must say, however, that the way you use your right foot is distinctly different to a normal auto in that it learns your style, and prefers a gentle change in intent... it is very good at interpreting your intent as long as you are consistent and will reward your consistency with a version of ESP that is not related to traction control..... the issue here is that you will not master it on a few short test drives but I guarantee you will learn to love it and never go back..... especially if you combine it with the creamy torque and economy of the diesel..... soooo quiet in the EOS it is unbelievable.... and driving with the top off lends itself to the cruisy attitude that the DSG offers should you so desire....

This sums it up beautifully. I love driving a manual car, but my wife preferred an auto. The DSG slots in nicely between our individual needs. My initial feeling was to use the manual mode, but I no longer feel it is necessary. The DSG always seems to know the right gear to be in. It shifts down when it needs to, unlike regular autos that only shift down after you've gone past the corner!

With the 2.0 TDI, the the DSG and torque of the diesel compliment each other well. You never get the impression you're in the wrong gear.

I've only had my car for two weeks now, and I can tell you, the DSG has won this manual aficionado over. If this is the way of the future, then the manual gearbox and clutch days are numbered.

STV4SYT
27-11-2008, 08:41 AM
The only time i use DSG now is for streets with a lot of speed humps (generally lock in into 3rd) engine braking, and when i decide to fang it.

i too quickly learned to trust what it does and in 99% of my driving never need to touch anything other than D.

This is also the first car i have EVER owned or driven regularly that doesn't have the 3 pedals and stick shift too.

I gave it go as my last car (LR Freelander) had a very heavy clutch and it was a pain in bumper to bumper traffic of which i was doing a lot at the time.

leasaunce
28-11-2008, 10:09 PM
Can't see why you couldn't put an R32 or GTI steering wheel into an EOS. That would give you the paddle shifts, plus a beautiful wheel.

you sure can! 100% been done before. not sure how much it would cost though.

I've driven a Jetta with DSG. it was awesome! shifts super quick! in normal driving mode its so smooth, feels nearly like a CVT.

Guest212
29-11-2008, 09:57 AM
Jets, that is scary... I am currently in the process of getting a GTi, and I am seriously considering going manual instead of DSG as I plan to keep the car for more than 5 years (extent of any warranty).

Go the manual.

DSG is awesome. It really is.

When it works.

Russ59
29-11-2008, 10:51 AM
I'd have to agree x2 for manual especially if your planning on keeping it long term, as YOM just said the DSG is brilliant but when it plays up (which there have been quite a few posts about recently) it can be a real pain in the ar$e and dangerous as YOM has just described in a recent thread. My first test drive of a GT Sport TDI was a DSG and although I was very impressed with the performance and smooth gear changes I vowed I would never buy another automatic (albeit that the DSG is not really an auto but it still works on a similar principle) I have had a few autos over the years and as technology and electronics are becoming a lot more predominant within the operation so too are unpredictable occurrences with their behaviour, some of which can be quite dangerous and for the unsuspecting driver, pretty hair raising. I would suggest that you drive both DSG and manual and then take into consideration how long you plan to keep it. Personally I went with the manual in the GT because I am planning on keeping the car long term and do not want the burden of an expensive overhaul on a fairly high tech transmission system in years to come. That's my 2 cents worth anyway, in the end the decision is yours. :driver: