PDA

View Full Version : Recomendation for inexpensive code reader

jfranek
07-01-2017, 02:16 PM
Hi,
I am a beginner in this, but keen to try things.
A week ago I got the low oil warning light on my Tiguan 125 TSI MY 2010. I got home, googled the correct oil, bought it, poured in 1/2 litre to a mid level between Min and Max.

Can't remember exactly how long after that, I got the Engine problem light on steady yellow while driving.
Last night in bed it occurred to me to check the oil cap. It wasn't on - just lying on the engine cover. A bit of mess. Between the oil top up and now, I have driven about 40km. Had to put in more oil, about 0.2 l.

The engine warning light is still on, but I haven't driven yet. I have no idea whether it will reset by itself, when, or if it has to be done with the OBD2 scanner.

I am now thinking about buying a cheap scanner anyway, but would like one specific for VW cars. Can't afford to buy the VCDS, just a bluetooth or cable connected.

Here is one Bluetooth -

ELM327 OBD2 OBDII Bluetooth Interface Engine Scan Tool Code Reader For Android - $24
Not sure what app this will need and if it can read/recognise VW specific codes

Here is one with cable -

VS450 VAG CAN Auto Diagnostic Scan Tool OBD2 Code Reader for VW/Audis Since 1990 - $65 from eBay

Does anybody here know these gadgets, or could they recommend better at similar price, please?

Also some ideas what could happen if I take the car to a VW dealer ($$$$ ??)

Thanks in advance.

Harrydhillon
08-01-2017, 09:33 AM
OBDEleven??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

jfranek
08-01-2017, 11:19 AM
" the system is using online databases so it requires good internet connection for fast and smooth work. "

I have heard of it, but I don't have good wifi in the garage, and don't use data plan on my phone.

thanks anyway

Hillbilly
08-01-2017, 07:25 PM
Cheap and VW. An oxymoron I think LOL

jfranek
08-01-2017, 07:45 PM
do you know what volkswagen stands for? It was never intended for rich people.

Once in my lifetime I wanted to have an European car. I could only afford it when I retired and had access to my super.

But now the young generation is after my money and cut my pension, so I must watch every dollar.

Hillbilly
08-01-2017, 09:03 PM
Yes it was " the peoples car" but by 1945 there was a lot less people.

Quote " But now the young generation is after my money and cut my pension, so I must watch every dollar."

Best buy a Toyota then LOL

jfranek
08-01-2017, 09:39 PM
I have a car. I am looking for cheap code reader and eraser.

Passat my07
14-01-2017, 09:02 PM
I've used the elm style ones and they are good for basic obd2 stuff. They won't support everything like air bags etc but will do the standard emission related codes. Well worth the money. I haven't used the other one you mentioned.