PDA

View Full Version : "Gearbox Faulty. Stop vehicle safely"

shanelord
29-12-2016, 04:11 PM
My less than a month old Tiguan 132 ComfortLine just spouted this at us today.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/12/38667219d18d56abd2e1362b2bcfe2b6-2.jpg

Gears won't engage. Car has been left to cool down for hours and no difference. Roadside assist towing it to dealership in the morning.

Damn DSG. I hope this is a once only event.

Shane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regdop
29-12-2016, 04:20 PM
Spewin!...keep us informed mate.... sorry this happened to you though :(

JustCruisn
29-12-2016, 05:05 PM
Well well this will be a test for VW. Lets see if they look after you or not.

REXman
29-12-2016, 06:51 PM
This better not be a new thing.. My Golf R had a tonne of issues, particularly the DSG and Haldex, and my sisters Polo is still a ticking death trap which we need to get looked at for the 100th time..

If this turns out to be a problem again (the DSG) I swear to god it will be the last VW I ever buy I don't care how nice they make/price them.

Sorry to hear of this Shane.

veew
29-12-2016, 11:39 PM
I thought the Tiguan DSG gearboxes were less problematic. This is worrying. I'm subbed.

Heavy
30-12-2016, 07:18 AM
Every brand new car I have ever purchased has had issues. I now only buy second hand, something that is up to 20-30k old. Usually has all the bugs worked out by then. Plus if you can get over wanting that new car feel you can usually get the current model fully optioned for a great price.

The One
30-12-2016, 07:41 AM
Possibly just a software jg mate knowing VW and new car releases... worst case scenario new gearbox or mechatronics probably wont have one in the country though :(

shanelord
30-12-2016, 07:58 AM
Okay good news, sort of. As of this morning the car starts and the gearbox is working with no errors. We have an engine light lit so on the way driving to the dealership now. Will take a look at it today and let us know what needs to be done. It was over 40°C here in Sydney yesterday and I'm hoping this car doesn't just faint when I gets too hot. :)

tigger73
30-12-2016, 08:07 AM
Well good to hear that it can drive OK. How many km on your car?

It may have been a tight gearbox and hot weather causing the box to get too hot.

Keep us posted on the outcome. I'm sure there's a few people interested in hearing how you go and what the problem was.

shanelord
30-12-2016, 10:35 AM
Well good to hear that it can drive OK. How many km on your car?

It may have been a tight gearbox and hot weather causing the box to get too hot.

Keep us posted on the outcome. I'm sure there's a few people interested in hearing how you go and what the problem was.

Just under 3500 kms - no towbar so no towing and no heavy use. I'll share more info when I get it. Even the service guys were concerned as some remember the dark days of DSG.

They do hope it may be a glitch and a software update may fix it, otherwise a possible faulty sensor.

Shane.

shanelord
30-12-2016, 03:34 PM
The service centre has come back and said there is a fault in the control circuitry of the drive train/gearbox. They need to replace the entire control unit to resolve this. Hoping they have a part available but they won't be able to do it until next week at the earliest.

REXman
30-12-2016, 04:18 PM
The service centre has come back and said there is a fault in the control circuitry of the drive train/gearbox. They need to replace the entire control unit to resolve this. Hoping they have a part available but they won't be able to do it until next week at the earliest.

Ok cool, so is it driveable until then? What's actually wrong, the control unit won't change gears?

shanelord
30-12-2016, 04:30 PM
Ok cool, so is it driveable until then? What's actually wrong, the control unit won't change gears?

It's driveable but they recommend not for long distances. We've chosen to leave it with the service centre as we are away next week. Hopefully they will have it fixed by the time we come home.

veew
30-12-2016, 09:58 PM
What gearbox is used in the new Tiguan? DQ250 or DQ500?
My research on the 1st Gen Tiguan was that the gearbox was DQ500. In the VWW forums I think I only found one instance of gearbox issues. Contrast that to the Golf 7 sub-forums and there are so many people having issues with the DQ200 box.

REXman
03-01-2017, 10:17 PM
What gearbox is used in the new Tiguan? DQ250 or DQ500?
My research on the 1st Gen Tiguan was that the gearbox was DQ500. In the VWW forums I think I only found one instance of gearbox issues. Contrast that to the Golf 7 sub-forums and there are so many people having issues with the DQ200 box.

Pretty sure new Tiguan has a DQ500. These are supposed to be good.

The DQ200's weren't all the best. They were in your smaller engine VWs.

The DQ250 - wet clutch in the GTI (6 speed) were no where near as bad. My Golf R had the DQ250 I think as well. Rated for 350nm - but can handle considerably more than that.

I had both mechatronics (twice) and clutch packs (once) replaced under warranty.

Any update on Shanelord's car?

tigger73
03-01-2017, 10:37 PM
The FWD 110TSI Tiguan gets the 6 speed DQ250 (same as Golf GTI/R and diesels).

The 132TSI, 140TDI and 162TSI all with 4motion get the heavy duty DQ500 DSG - same as Transporter and Audi TT-RS.

There have been very few issues with the DQ500 gearbox - a couple with higher km Transporters but nothing compared to the other DSG boxes. So this one is a little unusual in that it is an early failure. If it is electronics component failure, I can kind of understand this as these can fail in early life. Though we may never find out the actual cause as likely it'll get shipped back to Germany for investigation.

Gladbach
03-01-2017, 10:57 PM
Though we may never find out the actual cause as likely it'll get shipped back to Germany for investigation.

At least he'd be getting a replacement gearbox then.

REXman
03-01-2017, 10:57 PM
The 132TSI, 140TDI and 162TSI all with 4motion get the heavy duty DQ500 DSG - same as Transporter and Audi TT-RS.

There have been very few issues with the DQ500 gearbox..

So has your experience been pretty good with your DQ500? Do you know if the 5 year drivetrain warranty that was talked about back in 2013 ever became a reality?

tigger73
03-01-2017, 11:14 PM
So has your experience been pretty good with your DQ500? Do you know if the 5 year drivetrain warranty that was talked about back in 2013 ever became a reality?

I've had 2 Tiguans both with DQ500 (one was stage 2+) and not one problem with the DSG. I'm pretty sure the stage 2 Tig (sold a couple of years ago) has done ~130,000km now and still going strong.

If I was going to recommend to a family member/friend for longer term ownership (i.e. outside warranty) then this is the only gearbox that I'd personally recommend owning long-term.

Although the 6 speed DQ250's are better, I still don't 100% trust them and as for DQ200 I'd never buy one - stick to manual in the lower end models.

The 5 year drivetrain warranty was a PR stunt that came in for about 3 months and then disappeared as soon as the DSG bad press was out of the mainstream media. You'd be hard pressed to find a car that would have the 5 year drivetrain warranty. I'm not sure if even VW knows which cars have the extended warranty.

Everything these days is back to the standard 3 years.

shanelord
04-01-2017, 05:31 AM
I'm away this week relaxing on a beach. VW has the car and I should be able to post info after next Tuesday when I get back.

Thanks,
Shane.

shanelord
04-01-2017, 02:46 PM
Damn. Quick update. Part is on order from Germany. 2-3 weeks wait until fixed so awaiting VW Australia to give us a loan car.

Shane.

Gladbach
04-01-2017, 05:14 PM
How annoying. Feel for you!

JustCruisn
04-01-2017, 05:27 PM
I've had 2 Tiguans both with DQ500 (one was stage 2+) and not one problem with the DSG. I'm pretty sure the stage 2 Tig (sold a couple of years ago) has done ~130,000km now and still going strong.

If I was going to recommend to a family member/friend for longer term ownership (i.e. outside warranty) then this is the only gearbox that I'd personally recommend owning long-term.

Although the 6 speed DQ250's are better, I still don't 100% trust them and as for DQ200 I'd never buy one - stick to manual in the lower end models.

The 5 year drivetrain warranty was a PR stunt that came in for about 3 months and then disappeared as soon as the DSG bad press was out of the mainstream media. You'd be hard pressed to find a car that would have the 5 year drivetrain warranty. I'm not sure if even VW knows which cars have the extended warranty.

Everything these days is back to the standard 3 years.

All Skoda cars have 5 year warranty as of today :)
Many other manufacturers have 5 year unlimited KM too.

REXman
17-01-2017, 08:54 AM
Damn. Quick update. Part is on order from Germany. 2-3 weeks wait until fixed so awaiting VW Australia to give us a loan car.

Shane.

Shane, how we tracking on the gearbox.. any more issues?

I'm very keen on your experience both car and service wise. This issue would literally cause me to look at another car if it's still a problem like the older Golfs.

shanelord
17-01-2017, 09:29 AM
Shane, how we tracking on the gearbox.. any more issues?

I'm very keen on your experience both car and service wise. This issue would literally cause me to look at another car if it's still a problem like the older Golfs.

Part is supposed to arrive today. Hopefully will have an update soon. If it does come today we should have the car back this week.

So far: brand new car / owned for 6 weeks / driven for 3 weeks.

Hoping all is good after this ����

Shane.

stark27
17-01-2017, 10:22 AM
Good luck. Hope I dont get this problem. My current GTI has been absolutely faultless with an APR tune since it was brand new. No issues with DSG which I was concerned about having more torque and power and I drive it pretty damn hard.

shanelord
17-01-2017, 01:15 PM
Ok part came in and the car is fixed already. I'll pick it up this afternoon and keep everyone informed.

Shane.

REXman
17-01-2017, 01:31 PM
Ok part came in and the car is fixed already. I'll pick it up this afternoon and keep everyone informed.

Shane.

Unless I've missed it, try and find out what the part was.

shanelord
17-01-2017, 04:19 PM
OK. They've replaced the mechatronics module. No word on what went wrong but our unit is on a plane to VW HQ in Germany for diagnosis.

Part on form is : VW0BH325025NZ0C

Shane.

stark27
17-01-2017, 04:35 PM
Good luck with it and keep us updated.

shanelord
20-01-2017, 06:57 AM
Good luck with it and keep us updated.

Thanks. So far so good and car is back and running well.

Time will tell.

For now I'm hoping this thread will remain quiet and slowly disappear into the depths where aged forum posts go to die ;)

The alternative is if I or others experience this in future, which isn't something I wish on any of us.

Thanks everyone.

Shane.

tigger73
20-01-2017, 07:42 PM
All electronics have a burn-in period where there is a higher failure rate at the start of their life. Usually these failures will be detected/eliminated in the factory, however you can still get some early in the equipment's life.

Fingers crossed it's just an isolated case.