PDA

View Full Version : My Tiguan has arrived and this is my experience so far

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Delewin
16-12-2016, 08:19 AM
Hi All, I have started this thread to allow Gen 2 Tiguan owners to share their experiences with the rest of us as we patiently (or not) wait for our Tiguan to arrive.

It will also be a place for questions to be asked and answered.

Happy posting.
David

shanelord
16-12-2016, 08:38 AM
My wife has taken ownership of her White 132 ComfortLine. We've added the luxury pack, driver assist pack and sunroof.

What can I say. It's an amazing car. Comfortable, stylish and the safety features in the driver assist pack are just amazing. (If you're on the fence whether to add driver assist, don't hesitate to get it. I feel I'm now driving one of the safest cars in the world.)

Shane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delewin
16-12-2016, 09:59 AM
Hi Shane. I fully agree with you. The DAP is a mandatory add on.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gladbach
16-12-2016, 10:16 AM
I actually think that Tiguans without DAP will likely suffer from steeper depreciation.

Delewin
16-12-2016, 10:40 AM
Most likely.

Mac135
16-12-2016, 11:05 AM
The DAP is a mandatory add on.

I remain skeptical about DAP in general. In terms of park assist if I can't park the thing I certainly shouldn't be driving it and have vowed never to use it. Furthermore I wonder if things like ACC actually disconnect the driver from the act of being in control of the car rather than enhance it. We have DAP included but I remain deeply unconvinced about the 'benefits' of all of the DAP functions. I guess we shall see.

Delewin
16-12-2016, 04:51 PM
Hi Mac135,

I agree that Park Assist is not a high priority feature but the Active Cruise Control is just fantastic especially in city driving.

This is the main feature that sold me on the Tiguan when I test drove a 132TSI with DAP. When I was road testing the 132 and ACC was on, I could accelerate and brake at any time. I was in complete control. I let it do the work of automatically braking and accelerating but had my foot “hovering” over the brake pedal, “Just in case” :driver:

Just my 2 cents worth.
David

Mac135
16-12-2016, 05:51 PM
Hi Mac135,

I agree that Park Assist is not a high priority feature but the Active Cruise Control is just fantastic especially in city driving.

This is the main feature that sold me on the Tiguan when I test drove a 132TSI with DAP. When I was road testing the 132 and ACC was on, I could accelerate and brake at any time. I was in complete control. I let it do the work of automatically braking and accelerating but had my foot “hovering” over the brake pedal, “Just in case” :driver:

Just my 2 cents worth.
David And a well argued 2 cents too. As I said we shall see what I really feel about it when we pick it up in about 5 weeks - Australia Day give or take.

shanelord
16-12-2016, 07:43 PM
I remain skeptical about DAP in general. In terms of park assist if I can't park the thing I certainly shouldn't be driving it and have vowed never to use it. Furthermore I wonder if things like ACC actually disconnect the driver from the act of being in control of the car rather than enhance it. We have DAP included but I remain deeply unconvinced about the 'benefits' of all of the DAP functions. I guess we shall see.

I also see the park assist as a show off feature that I'll never use.

The 360° parking camera, lane change warning, ACC and lane assist are phenomenal. Also while I've never experienced the rear impact detection (and hope I never do), knowing it's there is comforting.

Definitely I don't feel disconnected from driving experience - in fact IMHO the lane assist is underrated - few times a slight distraction was saved by a gentle auto adjust by the system to stay in the lane.

I hope you love it as much as I do.

Thanks,
Shane.

Gladbach
17-12-2016, 08:18 AM
Park assist is standard throughout the whole range, so not sure why it's being argued as a useless DAP feature.

kacak
17-12-2016, 05:32 PM
Park assist is standard throughout the whole range, so not sure why it's being argued as a useless DAP feature.
Exactly.
+1 for ACC as the key factor for DAP option, as I've also mentioned in a previous post elsewhere. Area view is also pretty cool and a surprisingly useful feature. Finally, Active Info Display is basically the cherry on top for me 😀

Maxim1234
17-12-2016, 06:56 PM
Picked up a 110tdi with DAP and luxury package and I'm loving everything about it, except for knowing that it is detuned. Anyone know of anywhere that could do a good tune?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RYD11R
17-12-2016, 08:18 PM
We have had our 140TDI Highline, R-Line with all features for 5 days now and absolutely love it. We had asked for the tow bar to be installed as well. Smooth drive, love the pano roof amazing, in love with the cluster (want to fit it in my golf), internal space and the options to adjust seating etc is amazing. Power is plenty enough for the wife and the electronic features are incredible.

Few things for potential buyers to note:
- The load liner accessory doesn't fit, we had asked for this as part of our deal and when it arrived tried it and it will cause damage to your trim as its not flexible and prevents the rear tail from closing, in addition you have to move the rear seats forward to fit it. So we ended up getting the tray instead.
- Tow bar. When you remove the tongue and attempt to put the hitch cover on the one supplied does not fit an R-Line rear bar. It will cause you to push your bar in to fit so an internal hitch cover is required.

Beowulf
17-12-2016, 10:39 PM
We have had our 140TDI Highline, R-Line with all features for 5 days now and absolutely love it. We had asked for the tow bar to be installed as well. Smooth drive, love the pano roof amazing, in love with the cluster (want to fit it in my golf), internal space and the options to adjust seating etc is amazing. Power is plenty enough for the wife and the electronic features are incredible.

- The load liner accessory doesn't fit, we had asked for this as part of our deal and when it arrived tried it and it will cause damage to your trim as its not flexible and prevents the rear tail from closing, in addition you have to move the rear seats forward to fit it. So we ended up getting the tray instead.
- Tow bar. When you remove the tongue and attempt to put the hitch cover on the one supplied does not fit an R-Line rear bar. It will cause you to push your bar in to fit so an internal hitch cover is required.

Hi RYD11R, based on the above assume it's a horizontal tow bar? Did they cut the rear bumper? I've got a 162 rline on order in tungsten and want a tow on it as well. The dealer I've been working with hasn't had to install one on an rline as yet so couldn't tell me much without talking to the service area. Any chance of getting a photo of the tow bar? Thanks

VWVY
18-12-2016, 08:10 AM

Any chance of pics of the problem areas of the load liner while you are at it too?
Sounds like I should reconsider getting the liner.

Monty1951
18-12-2016, 08:15 AM
I've had the 132 Comfortline for nearly two months. More than happy. DAP is a must even if you don't use all the features. I love the all around camera views where you can select which part of the car to look at. A feature that I did not know about is the rear camera washer. Put the car in reverse and set the rear wiper to wash and the camera gets a scrub n tub too. You can see it on the monitor. Good if you frequent dirt roads especially if they are wet.

NjB
18-12-2016, 09:33 AM
love the pano roof amazing

Are you finding issues with heat coming through the sunroof on hot days? Do you find it annoying that the internal cover isn't total blackout?

I sat in one a few weeks ago on a mid 20s day and as I am tall my head was very near the roof and the heat coming through was distinctly noticeable and the metal strip at the front end of the internal blind was almost burning to the touch.

Frogasaursas
18-12-2016, 10:43 AM

Hey mate, could you specify which one of these three liners you've got? Cheers

RYD11R
19-12-2016, 06:39 AM
Hi All,

Apologies for the delayed reply.

Hi RYD11R, based on the above assume it's a horizontal tow bar? Did they cut the rear bumper? I've got a 162 rline on order in tungsten and want a tow on it as well. The dealer I've been working with hasn't had to install one on an rline as yet so couldn't tell me much without talking to the service area. Any chance of getting a photo of the tow bar? Thanks

Hi Beowulf,

Yes the rear bar has to be cut to put on the Aus approved tow bar which was a shame. However due to it being an inclusion in our deal I thought why not get it as we will definitely require one eventually. My 2 cents, it does not look as good as the standard rear bar alone especially with the tongue in, however with the tongue removed and a proper hitch cover installed (purchased aftermarket as one supplied will not fit) it still decent.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/12/IMG_1532_zpsaac73d6v-1.jpg (http://s169.photobucket.com/user/ryd11r/media/MISCL/IMG_1532_zpsaac73d6v.jpg.html)

Are you finding issues with heat coming through the sunroof on hot days? Do you find it annoying that the internal cover isn't total blackout?

I sat in one a few weeks ago on a mid 20s day and as I am tall my head was very near the roof and the heat coming through was distinctly noticeable and the metal strip at the front end of the internal blind was almost burning to the touch.

Ahhh we were using the car during our nice 30+ degree weather and had no problems with heat coming through, the internal cover does block out the heat and light well, not as bad as the cover in my golf R. I did like the pano roof lighting which I only noticed on the weekend, but the roof itself is a massive draw card. End of the day it would vary how you as an individual find heat and lighting tolerable, for us its barely noticeable and night time if closed people don’t even realise you have a pano roof. Keep in mind thou in an R-Line the interior trims are all black including roof lining and plastics, this could be another reason why it’s not an issue?

Any chance of pics of the problem areas of the load liner while you are at it too?
Sounds like I should reconsider getting the liner.

Hey mate, could you specify which one of these three liners you've got? Cheers

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/attachments/f238/27204d1482021796-my-tiguan-has-arrived-my-experience-so-far-screen-shot-2016-12-18-11-40-33-am-jpg

Hi Gents,

Ok so using the screen shot provided… We ordered the BOOT TRAY VARIABLE LOADING FLOOR, however the rear of it cuts into the pillars (marked with circles) and overlaps the tailgate where the hatch needs to lock (marked with x). We ended up going to the BOOT MAT VARIABLE LOADING FLOOR as it is more flexible, covers the area appropriately and didn’t look as ugly as the BOOT TRAY. Additionally note the BOOT TRAY requires some extra clips provided to be installed onto rear seat backing to hold the rear stable, I also noticed to make the netting fit post would be difficult as the tray blocks the mounting points for the net.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/12/IMG_153312_zpspestolmw-1.jpg (http://s169.photobucket.com/user/ryd11r/media/MISCL/IMG_153312_zpspestolmw.jpg.html)

NjB
19-12-2016, 07:49 AM
Ahhh we were using the car during our nice 30+ degree weather and had no problems with heat coming through, the internal cover does block out the heat and light well, not as bad as the cover in my golf R. I did like the pano roof lighting which I only noticed on the weekend, but the roof itself is a massive draw card. End of the day it would vary how you as an individual find heat and lighting tolerable, for us its barely noticeable and night time if closed people don’t even realise you have a pano roof. Keep in mind thou in an R-Line the interior trims are all black including roof lining and plastics, this could be another reason why it’s not an issue?

Yeah black would make a difference in terms of light blocking I suppose.

GolfR79
19-12-2016, 05:57 PM
Hi, I checked out the BOOT TRAY VARIABLE LOADING FLOOR in a demo car at my local dealer and yes it did not sit perfect in the boot. I mentioned this to the salesman who showed me how to lower the boot floor and when lowered the TRAY sat perfectly in place and flush with the boot lip. He said the TRAY is designed to be flush with the bit lip when the boot floor is in the lowest position.

RYD11R
19-12-2016, 08:53 PM
Ahh well there you go, dealership fail :(

wiredless
19-12-2016, 09:10 PM
Yeah black would make a difference in terms of light blocking I suppose.

Thanks for the review of the sunroof! Glad it's not too hot given I have ordered

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

TungstenR
20-12-2016, 06:56 AM

Thanks for the review of the sunroof! Glad it's not too hot given I have ordered

I think he said his practical experience was that it was too hot.

IsDon
20-12-2016, 08:41 AM

I have the same type of roof in my A6 Allroad. Glass roof, shade mesh style internal cover.

I must admit thinking the same when I first bought it. Wondering if it would be too hot in summer.

Glad to report it's been absolutely fine. No noticeable heat above what any car would be.

NjB
20-12-2016, 12:41 PM
Interesting how actual owner's aren't having an issue yet I distinctly noticed it - especially the burning to touch metal strip at the front. I wonder whether the colour of the "shade cloth" cover is a factor with the non-R-Lines having the beige(?) colour as opposed to black (as in could that influence a psychological feeling of heat due to the large amount of light it allows in)

shanelord
20-12-2016, 12:46 PM
I find it slightly warmer than non sunroof cars but not by much. I just dial the air conditioning slightly cooler to compensate.

peteracain
21-12-2016, 04:56 PM
Highline TDI140 with DAP 3 weeks. Got it for $51k on road. Love the car having come from a 2008 Tiguan TDI.

Negatives first:
1) Turbo/DSG lag!!! There is a definite pause before power is delivered. Really irritating and a step down from the previous gen. Even in sport mode the same responsiveness is not achieved at the lower end.
2) Auto motor off. Really irritating that this needs to be turned off every drive. Advised to do so as the battery gets smashed badly and requires much earlier replacement ($$$). Furthermore this put me in harms way once when I needed to take off promptly from an intersection and the delay in motor start-up combined with turbo lag really delayed my run.

Positives:
Everything else!!
1) DAP - a definite yes. Pay the money people if only for the digital instrument cluster and GPS between dials. ACC really great in traffic jams.
2) Turning circle - much improved.
3) Boot space - brilliant
4) Turbo engine noise - reduced
5) Rear seats - lovely place to be now. A/C supply much improved and leg room wonderful.

I could go on.

Anyway. Generally well done VW. (fingers crossed reliability,...).

RYD11R
22-12-2016, 06:17 AM
Highline TDI140 with DAP 3 weeks. Got it for $51k on road. Love the car having come from a 2008 Tiguan TDI.

Negatives first:
1) Turbo/DSG lag!!! There is a definite pause before power is delivered. Really irritating and a step down from the previous gen. Even in sport mode the same responsiveness is not achieved at the lower end.
2) Auto motor off. Really irritating that this needs to be turned off every drive. Advised to do so as the battery gets smashed badly and requires much earlier replacement ($$$). Furthermore this put me in harms way once when I needed to take off promptly from an intersection and the delay in motor start-up combined with turbo lag really delayed my run.

Positives:
Everything else!!
1) DAP - a definite yes. Pay the money people if only for the digital instrument cluster and GPS between dials. ACC really great in traffic jams.
2) Turning circle - much improved.
3) Boot space - brilliant
4) Turbo engine noise - reduced
5) Rear seats - lovely place to be now. A/C supply much improved and leg room wonderful.

I could go on.

Anyway. Generally well done VW. (fingers crossed reliability,...).

Hey Peteracain,

You can get the VCDS coded to disable the start stop function, i did this for my 2016 Golf R. Will be getting it on the wifes Tiguan too as well as some tail light custom coding :)

Frogasaursas
22-12-2016, 06:40 AM

Negatives first:

I think this is more a reflection of the Diesel engine than the DSG/turbo. All the reviewers have noted the Diesel engine is sluggish. I imagine it's because VW is so careful now to make their diesels comply due to Dieselgate, that performance has suffered. Any particular reason why you chose the Diesel engine?

tigger73
22-12-2016, 06:48 AM
DSG software upgrade should also fix the DSG issues.

I don't understand why when the Gen1 130TDI was so well sorted that things have gone backwards with the gen2 140TDI.

Mac135
22-12-2016, 10:25 AM
Perhaps the consequences of the larger issues with diesel/VW

peteracain
22-12-2016, 05:47 PM
I think this is more a reflection of the Diesel engine than the DSG/turbo. All the reviewers have noted the Diesel engine is sluggish. I imagine it's because VW is so careful now to make their diesels comply due to Dieselgate, that performance has suffered. Any particular reason why you chose the Diesel engine?

Simply because the previous TDI was so responsive and I wanted the highline level of kit (TDI only). God I hope some after market engine mod can fix this

peteracain
22-12-2016, 05:48 PM
Hey Peteracain,

You can get the VCDS coded to disable the start stop function, i did this for my 2016 Golf R. Will be getting it on the wifes Tiguan too as well as some tail light custom coding :)

Where abouts RYD11R?

Harrydhillon
22-12-2016, 09:54 PM
VCDS or OBDEleven will help you code the stop start ... there are forum post on both these tools. OBDeleven: Audi, Volkswagen, Seat & Skoda diagnostic system (http://obdeleven.com) or Ross-Tech: VCDS (http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/)

RYD11R
23-12-2016, 06:54 AM
Where abouts RYD11R?

Oh im getting it done through my guys in Sydney as i don't trust myself to do it. Anyone who knows what their doing should be able to change it or you can give it a go yourself.

hcvo1
25-12-2016, 08:42 PM
Can anyone confirm if the keys to the new Tiguan are the same as the Golf Mk7?

RYD11R
27-12-2016, 06:17 PM
Can anyone confirm if the keys to the new Tiguan are the same as the Golf Mk7?

Yes same as MK7 Golf. I got the key cover for the missus Tiguan same as my MK7R

hcvo1
27-12-2016, 06:24 PM
Yes same as MK7 Golf. I got the key cover for the missus Tiguan same as my MK7R

Thanks mate, much appreciated!

Beowulf
05-01-2017, 09:17 PM
Took the Tig for some photos today as it was lovely and overcast with some breeze to stir up the water and keep people at home. Been noticing people looking at the car more recently. Anyone else noticing this or is it just other people waiting on their orders? ;)

TIG162R
07-01-2017, 09:59 AM
Oh im getting it done through my guys in Sydney as i don't trust myself to do it. Anyone who knows what their doing should be able to change it or you can give it a go yourself.

Heya RYD11R, who do you use in Sydney & out of interest, what are the custom mods your getting done on the tail lights?

RYD11R
13-01-2017, 07:01 AM
Heya RYD11R, who do you use in Sydney & out of interest, what are the custom mods your getting done on the tail lights?

Hey Tig,

I use Hills Eurohaus for all my work + their next to the VW dealership.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/IMG_1172_zps3fcnm53l-1.jpg (http://s169.photobucket.com/user/ryd11r/media/GOLF%20R/IMG_1172_zps3fcnm53l.jpg.html)

If anyone is looking to get their Tiggy paint protected and have the sexiest finish possible i highly recommend Sydney Premium Detailing in Castle Hill, Mitch has done both our cars now and the finish and continued post wash results are amazing.

https://www.facebook.com/SydneyPremiumDetailing/

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/IMG_1649_zps21ejgizb-1.jpg (http://s169.photobucket.com/user/ryd11r/media/MISCL/IMG_1649_zps21ejgizb.jpg.html)
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/IMG_1654_zpsy7lcmc0e-1.jpg (http://s169.photobucket.com/user/ryd11r/media/MISCL/IMG_1654_zpsy7lcmc0e.jpg.html)
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/IMG_1653_zpsg1wohcub-1.jpg (http://s169.photobucket.com/user/ryd11r/media/MISCL/IMG_1653_zpsg1wohcub.jpg.html)
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/IMG_1655_zpsdr50pacu-1.jpg (http://s169.photobucket.com/user/ryd11r/media/MISCL/IMG_1655_zpsdr50pacu.jpg.html)
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/IMG_1651_zpsbhryouuc-1.jpg (http://s169.photobucket.com/user/ryd11r/media/MISCL/IMG_1651_zpsbhryouuc.jpg.html)
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/IMG_1656_zpsjhnjuflx-1.jpg (http://s169.photobucket.com/user/ryd11r/media/MISCL/IMG_1656_zpsjhnjuflx.jpg.html)
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/IMG_1650_zpstxdzy2ms-1.jpg (http://s169.photobucket.com/user/ryd11r/media/MISCL/IMG_1650_zpstxdzy2ms.jpg.html)
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/IMG_1652_zpsdugv4kf8-1.jpg (http://s169.photobucket.com/user/ryd11r/media/MISCL/IMG_1652_zpsdugv4kf8.jpg.html)
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/IMG_1657_zpsrm9hsmyx-1.jpg (http://s169.photobucket.com/user/ryd11r/media/MISCL/IMG_1657_zpsrm9hsmyx.jpg.html)

Roddy
13-01-2017, 02:52 PM
The chrome strip on the door, where it flows to the top of the chromed R Line logo on the fender, looks to be badly aligned. Or is it an optical illusion? Bloody jealous of your car though!

TIG162R
13-01-2017, 03:01 PM
Hey Tig,

I use Hills Eurohaus for all my work + their next to the VW dealership.

If anyone is looking to get their Tiggy paint protected and have the sexiest finish possible i highly recommend Sydney Premium Detailing in Castle Hill, Mitch has done both our cars now and the finish and continued post wash results are amazing.

https://www.facebook.com/SydneyPremiumDetailing/

Thanks & really nice pics of both your cars!

REXman
14-01-2017, 06:56 PM
Really nice pics. The true test will be either:
A) getting the car to look like that when it's not brand new
B) see what this car in the Pics looks like after 50,000kms.

:)

Was hoping to have mine by today..

Has anyone got theirs off the Don Juan yet?

Frogasaursas
14-01-2017, 07:30 PM
Was hoping to have mine by today..

Has anyone got theirs off the Don Juan yet?

Think you're jumping the gun. My ship landed a week before yours and car's being delivered to my place on wed. Takes at least 2 weeks from when the boat docks.

Mac135
14-01-2017, 11:00 PM
On Friday I was told that the Don Juan shipment into Melb on Jan 7th are still at the docks. I'm guessing our delivery will be sometime late in the week commencing Jan 22nd

REXman
14-01-2017, 11:38 PM
Think you're jumping the gun. My ship landed a week before yours and car's being delivered to my place on wed. Takes at least 2 weeks from when the boat docks.

My Golf R only took about 8 days.. maybe it's taking longer due to being a sexy black colour.

Further when my salesman sold me my car, he offered to have the car delivered within the week as a special favour due to some travel commitments.

Hopefully comes good soon.

Mac135
15-01-2017, 08:11 AM
My Golf R only took about 8 days.. maybe it's taking longer due to being a sexy black colour.

Further when my salesman sold me my car, he offered to have the car delivered within the week as a special favour due to some travel commitments.

Hopefully comes good soon.

not sure a salesman can actually make those kinds of promises but.........

my my sales person said that they hadn't received delivery advice from Patrick's yet but expected it this coming week.

REXman
15-01-2017, 09:52 AM
not sure a salesman can actually make those kinds of promises but.........

my my sales person said that they hadn't received delivery advice from Patrick's yet but expected it this coming week.

He seemed pretty genuine about it all. Gave me no reason to doubt him.

Anyway, hope we both get ours soon - I'm nearly out of holidays and super keen to get our new car.

mahoy
15-01-2017, 11:18 AM
Hi All,

Long to lurker, first time poster.

My Tiguan 140TDI, R-Line, DAP and PANO was on the Don Juan. I am picking mine up tomorrow afternoon. It actually arrived at the dealer (Brighton Bolkswagen) on Thursday afternoon. Guessing depending on your dealer it might add some time to the delivery. However I did find this article on the Port of Melbourne website that may speed up delivery times.

New auto wharf completed (http://www.portofmelbourne.com/news-and-publications/port-news/2016/december/new-auto-wharf-completed)

It would seem that can do pre-delivery work at the docks now rather than taking it to the Patrick's Depot.

Mac135
15-01-2017, 01:43 PM
That's good to here then. Your dealer is far closer to the port than mine plus I guess it is a case of getting them past compliance, checked and prepped and out the door as efficiently as possible.

Anyway that's good news as it means that everyone else's cars can't be too faraway. So far as I know there are at least three other cars on the Don Juan for members of this forum.

VWVY
15-01-2017, 04:42 PM
Anybody else here other than my tig been loaded onto Talisman due to dock at Melbourne 21Feb?

REXman
15-01-2017, 09:59 PM

As noted in the above comment, looks like I wasn't jumping the gun at all.

Spoke with my dealer today who told me he's aiming for Saturday delivery at best.

Pretty disappointed we won't have it for our trip.

Has anyone else received ?! Need some more photos and stories.

I'm even accepting unprofessional reviews :)

revriest
16-01-2017, 08:55 AM
I'm receiving my 162 Highline this Wednesday.
Went yesterday just for the final test drive and was happy with it so I'll be picking it up this Wednesday.

Mac135
16-01-2017, 09:22 AM
This from the Passat thread this morning:

It has actually arrived in Australia and is currently at Patrick Stevedores in Laverton. I've been advised there's a backlog of 2000 cars requiring fumigation and compliance certification. Apparently all new cars get inspected and fumigated in case of undesirable bacteria. Once all this is done, car goes to the dealer to get the after market stuff done to it. Upshot is I can expect delivery late this month or early February.

No surprise re the backlog given Christmas and New Year. I guess the 499 VW's on the Don Juan (that were on the same manifest as our car) will gradually find their way to dealers in the coming few days. Just adding to the anticipation.........

REGS12
16-01-2017, 09:26 AM
Bloody hell----It's a long painful process. Hope I'm still alive when our car is finally ready!

martinnw
16-01-2017, 11:22 AM
Hi there I had a similar experience. My vehicle was shipped from Adelaide to Brissy and there was a 3 week delay, picked it up on Dec 30. Patrick's don't provide much info I'm afraid.

bulletbelt
16-01-2017, 01:40 PM
Anybody else here other than my tig been loaded onto Talisman due to dock at Melbourne 21Feb?

Yes my Tig is on the Talisman. But will need to wait a couple of days for it to make its way to Port Kembla.

Now I'll just have to figure out a way to stop myself from checking the vessel tracker everyday!

REXman
16-01-2017, 02:26 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/44ddda6a7936adba559da2af2c960a03png-2.jpg
What's wrong with this picture ? Haha cmon VW

REXman
16-01-2017, 02:31 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/51c7b391e04a4a3fe3ad958680311a68-2.jpghttp://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/bd868d27e18f403b430a025ee200f724-2.jpg

On my side note, how come the leather disclaimer applies to the 162, but doesn't appear as prominent on the 140tdi? Same leather or different ? (I doubt it).

Gladbach
16-01-2017, 02:35 PM
I don't know. What's wrong with it?

VWVY
16-01-2017, 02:40 PM
need to wait a couple of days for it to make its way to Port Kembla.

'couple more days' it is still more than 5 weeks away LOL .. good on you your optimistic view of the waiting time! it feels like couple more months away for me!
I been checking on it at least once a day!

VWVY
16-01-2017, 02:42 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/44ddda6a7936adba559da2af2c960a03png-2.jpg
What's wrong with this picture ? Haha cmon VW

You need to charge your mobile pretty soon? ;)

REXman
16-01-2017, 03:18 PM
I don't know. What's wrong with it?

They spelt comfortline wrong

REXman
16-01-2017, 03:19 PM
You need to charge your mobile pretty soon? ;)

Haha almost. That's off my 6S+. I've replaced it with the 7 now (smaller one) and have about 62% left for the day. Well spotted!

Gladbach
16-01-2017, 03:42 PM
Wow, I didn't even spot that.

p.s. Got a Google Pixel last week. 72% left in the tank for the day.

bulletbelt
16-01-2017, 06:54 PM
'couple more days' it is still more than 5 weeks away LOL .. good on you your optimistic view of the waiting time! it feels like couple more months away for me!
I been checking on it at least once a day!

Haha oh yeah will feel like an eternity! I meant I'll have to wait even a couple more days after you in Melb.

Will be a long long wait.....

I saw a 140TDi in black and r-line kit driving in Syd yesterday. Looked really sharp

Gladbach
16-01-2017, 07:03 PM
I haven't seen any highlines/with or without R-Line packs on the road yet. I've seen a bunch of comfortlines, but I'm hanging to see the higher spec models.

VWVY
16-01-2017, 09:22 PM
Twice I have seen a 140TDi White R-Line with pano (not sure DA) at the Spring Street end of Burke Street Melbourne city.
First time was a drive by, second time I saw it was parked and I just stood on the sidewalk staring admirably at it, imagining how mine would look exactly the same albeit the rear bumper .. hehe I had to try to not look too conspicuous standing there by eating gelato at the same time :)
Wonder if the owner is somebody here on this forum.

stark27
17-01-2017, 10:26 AM
I haven't seen any highlines/with or without R-Line packs on the road yet. I've seen a bunch of comfortlines, but I'm hanging to see the higher spec models.

I''ve seen a highline without R-Line in Melbourne and it still looked nice.

REXman
17-01-2017, 01:33 PM
I''ve seen a highline without R-Line in Melbourne and it still looked nice.

Hope so, that's what we are getting. :)

stark27
17-01-2017, 01:43 PM
Yeah, it was not even in a colour I like but I found myself staring at it because its the first Highline I've seen :)

VWVY
17-01-2017, 03:09 PM
Yeah, it was not even in a colour I like but I found myself staring at it because its the first Highline I've seen :)

so glad that I am not the only one that stares at the new tig ;)

Gladbach
17-01-2017, 03:57 PM
so glad that I am not the only one that stares at the new tig ;)

My wife is already sick of it. The amount of times we've been driving or walking, and mid conversation I'll interrupt her and point at a Tiguan I've just spotted, and then start rambling on about it :)

Eyes24
17-01-2017, 04:16 PM
My wife is already sick of it. The amount of times we've been driving or walking, and mid conversation I'll interrupt her and point at a Tiguan I've just spotted, and then start rambling on about it :)

Lol

TungstenR
18-01-2017, 06:16 AM
LOL, I parked my R-line in a side road of a slightly remote coastal village. A SUV drives into the road, stops on the other side of the road on a parking lot. We walk away towards the main road. I turn around and see the SUV now parked directly behind my car, a woman walking around my car, she notices me watching her, sticks up her hands in an apologetic way, points at the car with a face of amazement...

RYD11R
18-01-2017, 07:13 AM
The chrome strip on the door, where it flows to the top of the chromed R Line logo on the fender, looks to be badly aligned. Or is it an optical illusion? Bloody jealous of your car though!

Thanks Roddy.. Only just saw this and had to go double check and then double check again :) Yeah its the photo :phew:

X-Rated
18-01-2017, 08:33 AM
Cruise control performance/accuracy? I'm currently driving an M-B A200d, and expect to upgrade to a 140 Highline Tig by the end of the year. One of the things I love about the cruise control in the Merc is that, when cruising down long hills, it is smart enough to very gently apply the brakes to prevent over-running beyond the target speed. This means that the cruise control can easily maintain the target speed +/- about 2kmh going up or down almost any hills. No freakin' speeding fines or demerit points worries for me!

The cruise control in my previous Golfs (most recently a Mk 6 GTD) could not apply the brakes so it would often over-run the target speed down hills. Can someone with a new Tig please confirm whether the cruise control holds speed accurately going down hills?

A.

NjB
18-01-2017, 12:19 PM
Cruise control performance/accuracy?

Superb on the ones I test drove. Good to +/- 2 km/h on steep hills.

Gladbach
18-01-2017, 01:08 PM
I saw a white TDI R-Line today in North Ryde. Looked lovely. I pointed it out to the colleagues in my car and mentioned it was the car I was waiting on (although mine will be TSI) and they were all very impressed.

Gladbach
18-01-2017, 01:09 PM
Superb on the ones I test drove. Good to +/- 2 km/h on steep hills.

I'm not sure, but I wonder if there is any difference if the car has ACC. Only thinking this because ACC will actually use the brakes, where as a lot of traditional cruise controls can only engine brake.

Mac135
18-01-2017, 02:36 PM
Good news our Tiguan has arrived at the dealer in Geelong yesterday. Only issue I'm in LA.

This car is ex the group off the Don Juan so REXman and REGS12 (and possibly others) will get their cars soon now We have arranged for delivery on the 27/1 almost to the day we forecast back on August 30 when it was ordered.

Will post some pics as it will likely be among the first high line in Habanero on this forum. Will probably need to start writing our own reviews given that no one from the mags or websites appears to be.

Gladbach
18-01-2017, 03:03 PM
Keen to see the personal reviews anyway.

Maybe pop over to https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-reviews/2017-volkswagen-tiguan-32tsi-review/ and ask for a review of the 162TSI - it might give them some more motivation to get their hands on one. The response I got was that they would review it in a few months when they come into the country - but we know there are already 162TSIs here.

X-Rated
18-01-2017, 05:40 PM
I'm not sure, but I wonder if there is any difference if the car has ACC. Only thinking this because ACC will actually use the brakes, where as a lot of traditional cruise controls can only engine brake.

Exactly what I was thinking. I'd definitely be optioning the Driver Assist Pack, so would have ACC anyway, but, in some brands, ACC doesn't appear to necessarily mean it will use braking in the normal cruise scenario. My wife recently test drove a Citroen with ACC that would happily apply braking to adjust speed downhill if it was locked on to a slower vehicle ahead, but would not do so if just cruising downhill, thus over-running the target speed by a big margin!

A.

Gladbach
18-01-2017, 07:21 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. I'd definitely be optioning the Driver Assist Pack, so would have ACC anyway, but, in some brands, ACC doesn't appear to necessarily mean it will use braking in the normal cruise scenario. My wife recently test drove a Citroen with ACC that would happily apply braking to adjust speed downhill if it was locked on to a slower vehicle ahead, but would not do so if just cruising downhill, thus over-running the target speed by a big margin!

A.

Wow, that's pretty poor. My 2012 Jetta does that and it's really annoying, but it obviously doesn't have ACC.

Can someone who owns a Tiguan confirm whether it maintains the speed downhill?

Frogasaursas
18-01-2017, 07:58 PM
A couple of quick pics of my Highline 162TSI picked up today. I took it for a quick spin, but not enough time to form much of an opinion. Certainly didn't floor me with its power. Hopefully this will change when I have a chance for a decent drive on the weekend.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/18ebf6ea69aeca3a70b4b546410e2542-1.jpghttp://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/d15860e43794a4d677d064bf6aef2249-2.jpghttp://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/e00522c9c426201c05737d99d863d887-2.jpg

Beowulf
18-01-2017, 08:03 PM
Wow, that's pretty poor. My 2012 Jetta does that and it's really annoying, but it obviously doesn't have ACC.

Can someone who owns a Tiguan confirm whether it maintains the speed downhill?

Hi, drove from Canberra to Sydney and back over the weekend. The cruse (ours is the ACC) does indeed apply the brakes both when using speed limited and ACC. It apples it even when a bloody strong tail wind managed to push it past the set speed, the speedo noted it went to 111 and there was a small deceleration and back to 110. It also drove me crazy when @&:)&ing people would pull in between me and the car in front of me, and I mean really close to me. At least the ACC doesn't slam on the brakes it gently slowed a little to open the gap up.

Driving to Sydney the ACC was really bugging me till I worked it out, Once I got used to the ACC it was brilliant. The drive home was really quite effortless.

Have to also say the auto-hold both for reverse and drive was bloody brilliant when parking and driving around Coogee.

Beowulf
18-01-2017, 08:06 PM
A couple of quick pics of my Highline 162TSI picked up today. I took it for a quick spin, but not enough time to form much of an opinion. Certainly didn't floor me with its power. Hopefully this will change when I have a chance for a decent drive on the weekend.

Looks good, love the colour choice ;)

You get optional rims? I've found the power is getting better now that I've got ~2000km on the clock

Frogasaursas
18-01-2017, 08:32 PM
Looks good, love the colour choice ;)

You get optional rims? I've found the power is getting better now that I've got ~2000km on the clock

Hey Beowulf,
These are the standard rims on the Highline - no R-Line pack for me.

Good to hear the power improves with the engine settling in. Cheers.

Beowulf
18-01-2017, 08:45 PM
Hey Beowulf,

Good to hear the power improves with the engine settling in. Cheers.

Ah yes, I'll actually look closer next time :)

NZ_GolfR
18-01-2017, 09:54 PM
Picked up my 162TSI R-Line on Friday but haven't had much of a chance to play with it much. Thought I should at least put up some of the quick photos that I took (apologies for the quality as the light wasn't the greatest).

The power isn't like what I had with the Golf R but that was always to be expected. I am impressed with the ride quality and how quiet it is inside, definitely a big improvement over the Golf. Would be nice to hear a bit more of the engine and exhaust sound but then it just allows me to enjoy the sound system more.

The DYNAUDIO system is definitely worth it! From what I remember of the standard system when I test drove the Highline I thought it was a little lack luster whereas this has much better power and sound quality. Love that you can change the sound focus based on who is sitting in the car and the sub in the boot adds the extra rumble needed.

All the extra features like automatic tailgate and ACC make it that much more pleasurable. I also have to say that I really like the HUD, it is great having info like speed and directions right there in the field of view. I know people have criticized the way it was implemented but I think having the separate screen that slides up allows the image quality to be as good as it is. The images are crisp and bright and the car image for the ACC almost appears 3D.

Anyway, taking it on a little bit of a road trip tomorrow so will give more details on how I find it after that.

REXman
19-01-2017, 01:43 AM
Hey Beowulf,

Super pleased to see the highline looking so good! The front end on these cars is awesome for an SUV.

X-Rated
19-01-2017, 09:35 AM
Hi, drove from Canberra to Sydney and back over the weekend. The cruise (ours is the ACC) does indeed apply the brakes both when using speed limited and ACC.

Thank you. I'm a Canberra local, very familiar with those long hills on the highway to Sydney. That's the good news I was hoping to hear.

A.

NjB
19-01-2017, 11:58 AM

Sorry I was referring to ACC. I also test drove a Subaru Outback with ACC and it allowed about 5km/h before it reigned things in which sucks in today's nanny state policing.

Chocolate_Bear
19-01-2017, 01:01 PM
Picked up my 162TSI R-Line on Friday but haven't had much of a chance to play with it much. Thought I should at least put up some of the quick photos that I took (apologies for the quality as the light wasn't the greatest).

The power isn't like what I had with the Golf R but that was always to be expected. I am impressed with the ride quality and how quiet it is inside, definitely a big improvement over the Golf. Would be nice to hear a bit more of the engine and exhaust sound but then it just allows me to enjoy the sound system more.

The DYNAUDIO system is definitely worth it! From what I remember of the standard system when I test drove the Highline I thought it was a little lack luster whereas this has much better power and sound quality. Love that you can change the sound focus based on who is sitting in the car and the sub in the boot adds the extra rumble needed.

All the extra features like automatic tailgate and ACC make it that much more pleasurable. I also have to say that I really like the HUD, it is great having info like speed and directions right there in the field of view. I know people have criticized the way it was implemented but I think having the separate screen that slides up allows the image quality to be as good as it is. The images are crisp and bright and the car image for the ACC almost appears 3D.

Anyway, taking it on a little bit of a road trip tomorrow so will give more details on how I find it after that.

Hi , is dynaaudio standard or an option. Was never told it was an option you could add on.. ? How much additional does it set you back?

Gladbach
19-01-2017, 01:06 PM
Hi , is dynaaudio standard or an option. Was never told it was an option you could add on.. ? How much additional does it set you back?

It's not an option in Australia, but is in NZ.

REXman
19-01-2017, 07:24 PM

Hey mate any further info on the dynaudio? Have you had much experience in audio aftermarket or you purely talking from experience from OEM systems?

What's your reference point ?

Centre speaker looks great.

Chocolate_Bear
19-01-2017, 10:18 PM
Ordered mine end December and hoping it arrives by May.. just enquires about de badging. Any idea on costs to have this done in Aus and if it can even be done by a dealer?

tigger73
19-01-2017, 10:29 PM
Ordered mine end December and hoping it arrives by May.. just enquires about de badging. Any idea on costs to have this done in Aus and if it can even be done by a dealer?

Debadging is cheap. Just need a piece of fishing line to cut the tape and something to take the gum off the paint afterwards. Eucalyptus oil works - just need to wash it off after to take any residue off.

Not sure if a dealer would do it. Almost like asking a dealer not to put their stickers on your car also. They usually stay on for the drive home because it's kind of a little rude to take them off in the car park.

shanelord
19-01-2017, 11:13 PM
My ComfortLine 132TSI with DAP has the new Discover Media unit - traffic didn't work (VW said not in Aus).

Got it working using VCDS as per this thread if anyone else has same issue.

Traffic Reports with Discover Headunit

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Evwwatercooled%2Ec om%2Eau%2Fforums%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D101977&share_tid=101977&share_fid=424&share_type=t

Thanks,
Shane.

NZ_GolfR
20-01-2017, 04:46 AM

Over here in NZ my dealer did it for free without any problems, I just asked. Reading the UK forum sites it looks like over there you can option it with no badges from the factory. L

IsDon
20-01-2017, 06:54 AM
Not sure if a dealer would do it. Almost like asking a dealer not to put their stickers on your car also. They usually stay on for the drive home because it's kind of a little rude to take them off in the car park.

If they put stickers on my car they can remove them before I drive away. What's rude is the dealer assuming he can plaster his advertising on someone else's vehicle without asking first.

Why not just go down to the local Westfield car park with a bunch of stickers and plaster them on every car in the car park?

tigger73
20-01-2017, 06:59 AM
If they put stickers on my car they can remove them before I drive away. What's rude is the dealer assuming he can plaster his advertising on someone else's vehicle without asking first.

Yes I agree but it seems to be standard practice these days. You have to request "no stickers" but even then they can "forget" - or more likely the message doesn't get transferred to the pre-delivery guys.

veew
20-01-2017, 07:10 AM
My ComfortLine 132TSI with DAP has the new Discover Media unit - traffic didn't work (VW said not in Aus).

Got it working using VCDS as per this thread if anyone else has same issue.

Thanks for letting us know. I've started a VCDS tweak thread for the Mk2 Tiguans, if you have any success with other tweaks let us know there too.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f238/mk2-tiguan-vcds-tweaks-116815.html

Frogasaursas
20-01-2017, 10:29 AM
Took my Highline for its first drive after dark last night and wow, what a difference LED headlights make. I didn't realise how bad my old halogens were! The clarity and brightness is amazing.

Beowulf
20-01-2017, 08:03 PM
Yes I agree but it seems to be standard practice these days. You have to request "no stickers" but even then they can "forget" - or more likely the message doesn't get transferred to the pre-delivery guys.

I asked them not to sticker my Skoda when I bought it even had it on the sales contract, when I picked it up low and behold there was a big old sticker on it. I waited while they took it off, the buggers won though as they put it back on at the first service.

Jeffsy
20-01-2017, 08:05 PM
Can anyone who had bi-xenon headlights on the previous gen model, comment on how much (if any) an improvement are the new LED's?

So far I have only read comparisons between halogen and LED. Thanks.

heffmeister
20-01-2017, 08:54 PM
I had bi-xenons on my 2010 Tiguan and they worked pretty well. They lights were a single projector lens type with low and high beam coming from the same lens. I also had the same lights on my 2014 Golf GTI performance. The LED lights on my new 162TSI R Line are a dramatic improvement on the previous bi-xenons. The LEDs use separate reflectors for low and high beam and the spread and penetration is a revelation on country roads at night. They work really well on low beam too spreading a long way to the left of the car.

REXman
20-01-2017, 10:00 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/de45497e63aa23857e48be64736243d9-2.jpghttp://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/5198aa60e6041bf1c8d05146b1ce1a96-2.jpg

Finally! It has arrived. Initial impressions:

Black looks great in person.

Really enjoyed the ride home. Smooth as silk to drive. Obviously with so few KMs, the car is virtually silent with little power.

Can't wait to have a longer steer. Need to bed it in with 1500kms then will take it for a proper "drive".

(Most car nuts will notice the motor unwind greatly between 1500-5000KMs).

I didn't bother bedding in the Golf R and that resulted in a motor that uses way too much oil. After bedding in every other car I've ever owned and Never having an issue.

The technology on this car will keep me busy for a long time. Love that it has the dampers that stiffen up like my R, the ability to sync 2 phones at once and just how fluid the head unit operation is.

Very quiet inside. I'm impressed overall. I will give a short write up once some more driving is done.

Negatives? Only negative so far will be the audio. It's flat and lacks any depth. Dynaudio is a must option, and although not for everyone, I will probably go down the aftermarket route.

Eyes24
20-01-2017, 10:56 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/de45497e63aa23857e48be64736243d9-2.jpghttp://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/5198aa60e6041bf1c8d05146b1ce1a96-2.jpg

Really enjoyed the ride home. Smooth as silk to drive. Obviously with so few KMs, the car is virtually silent with little power.

Can't wait to have a longer steer. Need to bed it in with 1500kms then will take it for a proper "drive".

I didn't bother bedding in the Golf R and that resulted in a motor that uses way too much oil. After bedding in every other car I've ever owned and Never having an issue.

The technology on this car will keep me busy for a long time. Love that it has the dampers that stiffen up like my R, the ability to sync 2 phones at once and just how fluid the head unit operation is.

Very quiet inside. I'm impressed overall. I will give a short write up once some more driving is done.

Negatives? Only negative so far will be the audio. It's flat and lacks any depth. Dynaudio is a must option, and although not for everyone, I will probably go down the aftermarket route.

Looks nice, enjoy!

Regdop
20-01-2017, 11:10 PM

I will be keen to hear what solution you come up with... when you go down that road of course!

IsDon
21-01-2017, 09:30 AM
I asked them not to sticker my Skoda when I bought it even had it on the sales contract, when I picked it up low and behold there was a big old sticker on it. I waited while they took it off, the buggers won though as they put it back on at the first service.

Well I guess you won't be going back there for a service then.

What assholes!

Beowulf
21-01-2017, 03:44 PM
Well I guess you won't be going back there for a service then.

What assholes!

Not now that its out of warranty, though my main reason for not going back isnt the sticker but its the attitude of the dealership which the sticker shows. Yes they are rubbish and I'm rather glad that they lied about my original order allowing me to change dealerships and get my deposit back.

Chocolate_Bear
22-01-2017, 10:18 AM

Great !! Ordered black as well.. looking good. I heard the audio on the standard 162tsi and didn't sound too bad. Maybe after spending 4yrs listening to a standard golf tsi system is the reason I think it's a step up. Hahahaa. I also used to run my cars in Over the 1500km but from what I hear, the engines are well run in before we get our hands on them so there is no real need to run them in.. I still personally would just like you ...

Tiguan 162tsi rline (May 2017) - NSW, Northern Beaches

REXman
22-01-2017, 10:59 AM
Great !! Ordered black as well.. looking good. I heard the audio on the standard 162tsi and didn't sound too bad. Maybe after spending 4yrs listening to a standard golf tsi system is the reason I think it's a step up. Hahahaa. I also used to run my cars in Over the 1500km but from what I hear, the engines are well run in before we get our hands on them so there is no real need to run them in.. I still personally would just like you ...

Hey thanks and you made a good choice :) black looks stunning. Not great when dirty but it's awesome when clean.

The audio is improving. I keep forgetting that the car has 40KMs and even the speakers aren't broken in yet. Again I don't expect it to blow me away - but - it's sounding a little less flat and more rounded as it gets used. Bass and treble have both improved so I think judgement in a few weeks will be best. I think it will still be a 6/10 but it's better than the 4/10 I was giving it.

As for engine wear in - after listening to all the advice about new engines having much tighter tolerances (given new manufacturing techniques compared with cars made years ago) - and even some advice about revving the car when new so that good seals form in the cylinder - I will definitely be doing nothing other than babying it when new. I followed the above and my Golf uses 1ltr every 2000kms. Sometimes more. Sometimes less. Worst thing I ever did. One of the things about the Golf R, is that it supposed to use very little oil even around a race track given the bottom end design of the motor.

I'm taking it a step further driving it around in standard mode. Vary the revs. And keeping the revs low. Max 3k rpm. Once 1500KMs I will rev 4500rpm, then at 3000kms I will stretch to redline. I've always done it like this and I've always had an engine that has dyno'd well and been faultless.
As you do more KM's, It's great, you can hear the carbon building up in the exhaust as it goes from sounding kitchen appliance quiet to slowly getting a car sound. Can't wait for around 3-5k when it will sound it's best.

Brief updates
The auto parking thing is amazing. I've used it a few times now. It's so easy to use and it works great. It still feels wired seeing the steering wheel do all that on it own.

Lane assist
Wow. I'm driving and can literally let go of the steering wheel (with my hands only fractions away) and it will steer for you around a long sweeper. Works well when doing around 70 or more. Truly impressive how well it seems to do it. Scary!

Frogasaursas
22-01-2017, 01:35 PM
Can someone with a Highline explain how to get an apple carplay map that's on the main screen onto the driver info display? When I switch to Nav on info display it shows car's internal Nav, so I have an apple map on one screen and internal Nav on the other. Can't seem to find it in driver's handbook.

TungstenR
22-01-2017, 03:33 PM
Just returned from a short holiday break in Hawkes Bay/Napier. A good drive through valleys and all kinds of weather, we saw a few trucks being blown off the road, but the R-line behaved well..., although... during rain I noticed a few drops falling in the footwell, on the footrest, on the right.

The camera assistants... I "damaged" a rim (for the first time in my life) by scraping a thick layer rubber paint off a curb, because the surface of the pavement and the road was exactly the same. It looks like I was lucky that the paint got stuck on the rim without the concrete scraping the aluminium.

Then the good part; while we drove along a pebble beach near Napier, the tracks got deeper and deeper, till I thought "this is as far as I'll go". I gently turned the car, didn't get stuck despite the warning on the screen, and got back in the track. After a few minutes another car was approaching from the other side and I thought about what to do. As we came closer, the other driver started to wave that we had to move aside for him. I decided to share the track with him, to keep moving, and to have good traction on one side of the car for both of us.
I didn't want to stop to prevent getting stuck, and the other driver in his off road pick up didn't seem to share the same idea....
So, I kept moving in "off-road" setting, kept gently going around the a--hole who moved just 20cm to the side. After I got back in the track (through the unsettled pebbles on the beach, and without any hassles) I looked in the mirror, and noticed the a--hole got stuck. Karma...

Chocolate_Bear
22-01-2017, 08:57 PM

Seen a white rline around curl curl and a Tiguan rline indium grey around collaroy

I suspect we will be seeing a few more on the road in the coming month .. they sure look classy!

Gladbach
22-01-2017, 09:56 PM
The white R-Line could be the demo from the dealership in Brookvale. I saw a highline in Habenero Orange in Dee Why on Saturday. Actually looks like a nice colour (although my wife didn't think so!).

Mac135
23-01-2017, 08:18 AM
Will be able to post some pictures of the Habenero on Friday! The colour was my wife's choice (her car afterall) but I think it looked great when I saw in a comfortline model at the dealers a week or so ago. Don't expect we will see many on the road but with the additional 'jewelry' on highline I think it will be pretty smart.

Chocolate_Bear
23-01-2017, 08:38 AM
The white R-Line could be the demo from the dealership in Brookvale. I saw a highline in Habenero Orange in Dee Why on Saturday. Actually looks like a nice colour (although my wife didn't think so!).

Yeah .. I seen that habenero orange as well, now that you mention it. It's definitely a Dee Why resident ! Will have to keep an eye out for yours. Mine is a long wait .. end May probably

Chocolate_Bear
23-01-2017, 08:45 AM
Anyone going for the 2 year extended warranty? You think it's worth going ahead with? Was told it cost an additional 2k. Any thoughts on the extended factory warranty ?

IsDon
23-01-2017, 10:01 AM
Anyone going for the 2 year extended warranty? You think it's worth going ahead with? Was told it cost an additional 2k. Any thoughts on the extended factory warranty ?

Don't waste your money. This is just a car dealer con to sucker you into servicing exclusive with them, and they charge you $2K for the privilege. It's a rort , plain and simple.

You actually get better warranty protection from your statutory rights under the trade practices act. And it's free!

Chocolate_Bear
23-01-2017, 10:30 AM
Don't waste your money. This is just a car dealer con to sucker you into servicing exclusive with them, and they charge you $2K for the privilege. It's a rort , plain and simple.

You actually get better warranty protection from your statutory rights under the trade practices act. And it's free!

Ah... thanks for that .. I thought the extended factory warranty was valid at any VW dealership.. need to check up on that statutory rights ...

IsDon
23-01-2017, 02:14 PM
Ah... thanks for that .. I thought the extended factory warranty was valid at any VW dealership.. need to check up on that statutory rights ...

Mate, here's some food for thought.

Go to the 24:00 minute mark of this video. It deals specifically with extended warranties. The rest of the video is 20 important points to save you money when you buy a new car, all the tricks the dealers use and how to combat them. I recommend watching the whole video, but if you're time poor then at least watch it from the 24:00 minute mark as it exposes the extended warranty rort we've been discussing.

https://youtu.be/v8VYNFzmJIQ

Eyes24
23-01-2017, 03:00 PM

Go to the 24:00 minute mark of this video. It deals specifically with extended warranties. The rest of the video is 20 important points to save you money when you buy a new car, all the tricks the dealers use and how to combat them. I recommend watching the whole video, but if you're time poor then at least watch it from the 24:00 minute mark as it exposes the extended warranty rort we've been discussing.

Great video!
Thanks

Chocolate_Bear
23-01-2017, 04:39 PM

Awesome. Thanks for that video mate .. really good stuff.

Regdop
23-01-2017, 07:12 PM
Do you guys that have your Tiguans have hard copies of the owners manuals or are they electronic? I should imagine they're quite thick if of the paper variety!!

Frogasaursas
23-01-2017, 07:25 PM
Do you guys that have your Tiguans have hard copies of the owners manuals or are they electronic? I should imagine they're quite thick if of the paper variety!!

Hard copy. It's a doorstop. [emoji38]

shanelord
23-01-2017, 07:59 PM

Actually I checked with the dealer and with VW Australia that the extended warranty is not dealer specific (check with your dealer to be sure of course).

I have clarified and have confirmed that I am allowed to get my car serviced by anyone and it doesn't void the extended warranty.

May be different with other dealers but not with mine. Also it was included with our purchase with delivery before end November 2016 at no additional charge.

Shane.

Chocolate_Bear
23-01-2017, 08:24 PM
Actually I checked with the dealer and with VW Australia that the extended warranty is not dealer specific (check with your dealer to be sure of course).

I have clarified and have confirmed that I am allowed to get my car serviced by anyone and it doesn't void the extended warranty.

May be different with other dealers but not with mine. Also it was included with our purchase with delivery before end November 2016 at no additional charge.

Shane.

Thanks mate. My dealership say it's factory warranty so able to service anywhere. They want me to pay 2k. Mmmmm [emoji53].

Mac135
27-01-2017, 06:48 PM
So picked up our highline 162 today. Car was purchased in Geelong and we live in Melbourne so these thoughts are based on about 100km of mixed driving – including some freeway and back roads.

Firstly, I cannot not comment on the colour . Habenero is a retina searing orange in the sun but deeply lustrous when in the shade. It can, depending on the light, head toward an orangey red or a bright orange verging on gold. Overall very happy with the way it looks - it’s not rline aggressive but cuts a pretty decent presence in a carpark withits front end 'jewelry' and the rear diffuse'ry' thing and chrome pipes. There is also plenty of black on the body to provide a strong contrast to the orange, though not as much of course as the rline pack.

Performance - well it isn’t a GTI. But it does perform well especially once on the move. Definitely no slouch and the DSG (I love DSG) is superb. There’s no hesitation, its quick witted and the car whether in manual or D can be kept in the power band with just a little anticipation and the flick or two of a paddle. If you are not familiar with DSG learn the techniques and its quirks and you will be rewarded! And 7th gear makes for stress and near noise free cruising. It is way more responsive in that sense than my Scirocco (though of course the Tig doesn’t have the larger turbo to spool up).

For mine the ride, handling balance on the 18’s is very acceptable - again provided you don’t think of the Tig as a GTI on stilts. You feel the road but there is no jarring, banging or crashing. When I drive I want to feel and connect with what’s going on around me – not feel like I’m sitting in a moving lounge room. In that sense the Tig performs very much to my liking.

It does feel though its size. My perception is you feel the extra length compared to the 147 we just sold. It doesn’t feel quite as ‘chuckable’ though that said it also feels more planted and less on tippy toes compared to the 147. I guess I’m trying to say you feel the extra maturity in this car compared to the previous one - which was 8 years old afterall– this new Tig might be a better car at say 8/10th’s but at 6 or 7/10th’s (about all I was willing to push today) it doesn’t feel quite as agile.

My only gripe from a driving point of view was the steering. It feels very light. Again, this could just be a factor of it being different from the 147 and of course dramatically different from the Roc. I recently drove a Passat 162 and steering weight was an issue for me in that car too – maybe a VW thing. I’ll see if there are any settings I can play with to put a bit more weight into the steering, though my wife, whose car it really is 90% of the time might find the steering perfectly fine.

Fit and finish on our particular car is very good. For example the few body trim issues reported by earlier owners (like the fit of the plastic extensions around wheel arches) do not seem to be an issue on this car. The only part that I have seen or touched on this car so far that I think is a bit flimsy is the (sunglasses) hatch on the top of the dash. I don’t think it sits as well as it should and feels a bit cheap and nasty.

Haven’t really tried the audio system and haven’t set up many of the convenience features - at least not to our liking yet. Auto open boot and touch close are good though.

The seating I didn’t get quite right today but a little more effort will sort that. It is certainly a nice environment in which to inhabit. Ergonomically everything was where you would expect it to be and it was logical. My wife had a bit of trouble programming the sat/nav on the go and seemed to get into a repeating circle but that will get better with use. The pronunciation like on most VAG products was a bit odd. She will be turned off during the customising process in any case (the voice guide not my wife). It was warm in Melbourne today and the aircon was fine and of course easy to use.

Overall I think a Tiguan 162 is a pretty good way to get around. I was even pleasantly surprised by how little the start/stop annoyed me.

The car though is on Hankook tyres - which surprised me a bit. I was guess I was expecting some Dunlops/Conti’s/Pirelli or Michelins. That said the car is super quiet and the Hankooks did what they needed to do today. I’m keeping an open mind on these.

As an aside and, for those of you awaiting cars from the Don Juan and other recently arrived boats, the sales people told us that there are long delays in getting the cars out of Patrick’s following the Christmas New Year period. They are ringing every day to find out delivery information but it is slow going. The fact that ours arrived last week was just the luck of the draw. So even for those not having to wait until April or May some patience is still required just waiting for it to get from the docks to the dealers.

I hope you all get to enjoy your new cars as soon as possible.

Edit: Have improved steering feel by setting it to sport. Does seem to add a little more weight assuming it's not just the placebo effect!! Also engine to sport which I'm liking too.

Eyes24
27-01-2017, 07:04 PM
So picked up our highline 162 today. Car was purchased in Geelong and we live in Melbourne so these thoughts are based on about 100km of mixed driving – including some freeway and back roads.

Firstly, I cannot not comment on the colour . Habenero is a retina searing orange in the sun but deeply lustrous when in the shade. It can, depending on the light, head toward an orangey red or a bright orange verging on gold. Overall very happy with the way it looks - it’s not rline aggressive but cuts a pretty decent presence in a carpark withits front end 'jewelry' and the rear diffuse'ry' thing and chrome pipes. There is also plenty of black on the body to provide a strong contrast to the orange, though not as much of course as the rline pack.

Performance - well it isn’t a GTI. But it does perform well especially once on the move. Definitely no slouch and the DSG (I love DSG) is superb. There’s no hesitation, its quick witted and the car whether in manual or D can be kept in the power band with just a little anticipation and the flick or two of a paddle. If you are not familiar with DSG learn the techniques and its quirks and you will be rewarded! And 7th gear makes for stress and near noise free cruising. It is way more responsive in that sense than my Scirocco (though of course the Tig doesn’t have the larger turbo to spool up).

For mine the ride, handling balance on the 18’s is very acceptable - again provided you don’t think of the Tig as a GTI on stilts. You feel the road but there is no jarring, banging or crashing. When I drive I want to feel and connect with what’s going on around me – not feel like I’m sitting in a moving lounge room. In that sense the Tig performs very much to my liking.

It does feel though its size. My perception is you feel the extra length compared to the 147 we just sold. It doesn’t feel quite as ‘chuckable’ though that said it also feels more planted and less on tippy toes compared to the 147. I guess I’m trying to say you feel the extra maturity in this car compared to the previous one - which was 8 years old afterall– this new Tig might be a better car at say 8/10th’s but at 6 or 7/10th’s (about all I was willing to push today) it doesn’t feel quite as agile.

My only gripe from a driving point of view was the steering. It feels very light. Again, this could just be a factor of it being different from the 147 and of course dramatically different from the Roc. I recently drove a Passat 162 and steering weight was an issue for me in that car too – maybe a VW thing. I’ll see if there are any settings I can play with to put a bit more weight into the steering, though my wife, whose car it really is 90% of the time might find the steering perfectly fine.

Fit and finish on our particular car is very good. For example the few body trim issues reported by earlier owners (like the fit of the plastic extensions around wheel arches) do not seem to be an issue on this car. The only part that I have seen or touched on this car so far that I think is a bit flimsy is the (sunglasses) hatch on the top of the dash. I don’t think it sits as well as it should and feels a bit cheap and nasty.

Haven’t really tried the audio system and haven’t set up many of the convenience features - at least not to our liking yet. Auto open boot and touch close are good though.

The seating I didn’t get quite right today but a little more effort will sort that. It is certainly a nice environment in which to inhabit. Ergonomically everything was where you would expect it to be and it was logical. My wife had a bit of trouble programming the sat/nav on the go and seemed to get into a repeating circle but that will get better with use. The pronunciation like on most VAG products was a bit odd. She will be turned off during the customising process in any case (the voice guide not my wife). It was warm in Melbourne today and the aircon was fine and of course easy to use.

Overall I think a Tiguan 162 is a pretty good way to get around. I was even pleasantly surprised by how little the start/stop annoyed me.

The car though is on Hankook tyres - which surprised me a bit. I was guess I was expecting some Dunlops/Conti’s/Pirelli or Michelins. That said the car is super quiet and the Hankooks did what they needed to do today. I’m keeping an open mind on these.

As an aside and, for those of you awaiting cars from the Don Juan and other recently arrived boats, the sales people told us that there are long delays in getting the cars out of Patrick’s following the Christmas New Year period. They are ringing every day to find out delivery information but it is slow going. The fact that ours arrived last week was just the luck of the draw. So even for those not having to wait until April or May some patience is still required just waiting for it to get from the docks to the dealers.

I hope you all get to enjoy your new cars as soon as possible.

Congrats! How about a few pic's

Mac135
27-01-2017, 07:12 PM
Congrats! How about a few pic's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Yep, a job for tomorrow when the sun is out again.

Eyes24
27-01-2017, 07:13 PM
Yep, a job for tomorrow when the sun is out again.

Cool
Thanks

REGS12
27-01-2017, 07:37 PM
Mine will be a February '17 model . Good review Mac though our first drive will be through some good corners rather than the freeway.
I'm most excited by the reviews on the LED lights. They should be a great improvement on the candles I have on the GTI. A little worried that getting legs stretched out comfortably may place steering wheel too far away but all of reviews so far have been ok, so well worth the wait.

Eyes24
27-01-2017, 07:39 PM
Mine will be a February '17 model . Good review Mac though our first drive will be through some good corners rather than the freeway.
I'm most excited by the reviews on the LED lights. They should be a great improvement on the candles I have on the GTI. A little worried that getting legs stretched out comfortably may place steering wheel too far away but all of reviews so far have been ok, so well worth the wait.

The steering wheel can be adjusted up or down and in and out.

REGS12
27-01-2017, 07:46 PM
Yeah, but one report did mention this and my legs are not only long, but stiff too!

Eyes24
27-01-2017, 07:50 PM
Yeah, but one report did mention this and my legs are not only long, but stiff too!

Ok then , hope it's ok for you then.

Frogasaursas
28-01-2017, 09:50 AM
I can't believe what a difference shifting the car to the 'sport' setting makes in terms of power and acceleration. The 162 really comes alive in sport setting (although for mine I leave the main setting on driver profile to normal - so steering and ride stay normal (too stiff and harsh in sport mode) and just flick down the gear selector to change to S to put engine and gear ratio into sport.

Chocolate_Bear
28-01-2017, 12:02 PM
I can't believe what a difference shifting the car to the 'sport' setting makes in terms of power and acceleration. The 162 really comes alive in sport setting (although for mine I leave the main setting on driver profile to normal - so steering and ride stay normal (too stiff and harsh in sport mode) and just flick down the gear selector to change to S to put engine and gear ratio into sport.

Nice to know. Probably will be even better after getting past 1500km... oh man. Hope you are enjoying it! Any major dislikes?

Can't wait to get mine!

TungstenR
28-01-2017, 02:19 PM
Dislikes? Yes. Lack of sporty engine/exhaust sound, mechanical/cold engine sound, too little differences between Comfort/Normal/Sport mode, ACC dangerous when cars get off the road and stop in a lane next to you, suspension "clonks" sometimes when there is a shallow but sharp hole in the road, water dropping into the car when driving in rain (footwell), car doesn't lower in Sports mode (as salesman told me), hot seats (too much insulation material?), Area view is nice BUT tricky, as I damaged a rim FOR THE FIRST TIME in my life, wind noise, rear spoiler isn't perfectly glued on one side (99.9% of people wouldn't notice), as is the "4motion" badge, that is about 3-4 mm down from the 2.0 TSI badge on one side (again, most people wouldn't notice).

Likes? Yes, plenty! First the overwhelmingly good dash display and Discovery Pro, with all of its settings/information, the comfortable ride, in any and all of the settings, (my reference is an AUDI S4 with Bilstein PSS9 suspension), perfect size (inside and out) for me, good seating position/comfortable seats both front and rear, off-road settings work great (got through loose pebbles where an off road truck (with off road tires) got stuck.), the HUD (Head Up Display) works great with Lane assist and ACC info!, lane assist as such (tested it with hands off the wheel..., don't do this at home kids!), I'm surprised how the car works a lot chunkier in my garage than I expected, the design/build of the car has some interesting sculptural aspects to it (design concept with specific sharp angles/lines), that work great in pictures. LED lights work (and look) great (cornering lights, brightness etc.), though haven't actually tested the auto "Dynamic Light Assist" LED headlight settings.

Mac135
29-01-2017, 09:52 AM
Dislikes? Yes. Lack of sporty engine/exhaust sound, mechanical/cold engine sound, too little differences between Comfort/Normal/Sport mode, ACC dangerous when cars get off the road and stop in a lane next to you, suspension "clonks" sometimes when there is a shallow but sharp hole in the road, water dropping into the car when driving in rain (footwell), car doesn't lower in Sports mode (as salesman told me), hot seats (too much insulation material?), Area view is nice BUT tricky, as I damaged a rim FOR THE FIRST TIME in my life, wind noise, rear spoiler isn't perfectly glued on one side (99.9% of people wouldn't notice), as is the "4motion" badge, that is about 3-4 mm down from the 2.0 TSI badge on one side (again, most people wouldn't notice).

Likes? Yes, plenty! First the overwhelmingly good dash display and Discovery Pro, with all of its settings/information, the comfortable ride, in any and all of the settings, (my reference is an AUDI S4 with Bilstein PSS9 suspension), perfect size (inside and out) for me, good seating position/comfortable seats both front and rear, off-road settings work great (got through loose pebbles where an off road truck (with off road tires) got stuck.), the HUD (Head Up Display) works great with Lane assist and ACC info!, lane assist as such (tested it with hands off the wheel..., don't do this at home kids!), I'm surprised how the car works a lot chunkier in my garage than I expected, the design/build of the car has some interesting sculptural aspects to it (design concept with specific sharp angles/lines), that work great in pictures. LED lights work (and look) great (cornering lights, brightness etc.), though haven't actually tested the auto "Dynamic Light Assist" LED headlight settings.

Agree about some of the design elements. Our car is parked on an elevated pad next to out outdoor area. So sitting down for a meal your eye line is about level with the centre of the wheel. So it's unusual perspective to view a car. Watching the sun go down on it yesterday you see the surfacing as various parts move from light to shade and the metallic colour changes from irredesant to deep and rich. I like the way overall it has been drawn. I also like, what is essentially a silly thing, the interior lighting foot,well, sunroof, door and scuff plate lights.

Chocolate_Bear
29-01-2017, 05:53 PM

Thanks for the feedback mate. Hope the scratch is not too bad! Wonder if the leak is specific to yours or a general issue faced ... mmmmm

NZ_GolfR
29-01-2017, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the feedback mate. Hope the scratch is not too bad! Wonder if the leak is specific to yours or a general issue faced ... mmmmm

I can tell you after driving to Miranda during torrential rain the other week there wasn't a drop of water inside mine. I am guessing that is unique to TungtsenR's, probably a missing on incorrectly fitted seal, and something I would definitely get looked at ASAP before any water damage occurs.

TungstenR
30-01-2017, 07:50 PM
Thanks Chocolate_Bear and NZ_GolfR,

I have yet to hear from the dealer, he said he'd call me before the end of January to set an appointment with the workshop... I've made a list with all the issues, including those that are not mendable by the workshop, but which are issues that VW will have to deal with. It may become "complicated", we'll see.

For the water dropping into the car, it does not happen when I wash the car and put the hose anywhere near the spot where the (rain)water seeps in... (I took this picture along the way, when we stopped for a coffee break)

IsDon
30-01-2017, 09:12 PM
TungstenR.

Another possibility may be a blocked/kinked/leaking a/c hose. I had a car some time ago with a leak like you're explaining which took forever to find the culprit.
Leave it out in the rain, nothing, drive home and it would start leaking.
On humid days the a/c has to get rid of a fair bit of water. Usually it ends up as a puddle on your driveway. If the hose that is supposed to remove this water is kinked, as mine was, it can't get rid of all that water and it ends up in the footwell.
Just a thought.

TungstenR
31-01-2017, 08:24 AM
Thanks IsDon, that surely is something to keep in mind.

Frogasaursas
31-01-2017, 05:29 PM
How do people feel on the long term effects of the stop/start system? Will it drain batteries quicker? Will it kill the longevity of the starter motor? You hear a lot of talk around the potential damaging effects, just wonder if there's any concrete evidence out there. This is my first car with it and still debating whether or not to use it on an ongoing basis. Ps I'm in Sydney, so it will be working constantly.

Eyes24
31-01-2017, 05:32 PM
How do people feel on the long term effects of the stop/start system? Will it drain batteries quicker? Will it kill the longevity of the starter motor? You hear a lot of talk around the potential damaging effects, just wonder if there's any concrete evidence out there. This is my first car with it and still debating whether or not to use it.

I have Nissan x trail with stop/start system and l use it all the time, had no problems in 2 years with it.

IsDon
31-01-2017, 05:42 PM
I've got it in my A6 Allroad which I've had since new. 2013. I was a bit concerned about it when I first got the car, more over whether it would annoy the crap out of me than anything else.

Happy to report, I leave it on, and pretty much forget it's there.

There's a whole bunch of parameters that have to line up before the stop start will turn the engine off. Obviously stationary, foot on the brake, engine up to temp, air conditioner compressor not required (cabin temp down to what's selected), battery voltage above a certain minimum. Unless all these are lined up the engine keeps running and gives you a little symbol to say, "in case you were wondering, no I'm not shutting down".

It also requires a fair bit of pressure on the brake pedal. I find that, without really thinking about it, if I pull up at a stop sign, or a red light about to change, or a roundabout I pull the car up, just before it stops I release most of the brake pressure so that I'm just holding the car from rolling, but not with enough pressure to activate the start stop. You learn to use it, and it does work surprisingly well.

No battery issues, no starter motor issues. My A6 is also a 3.0L 6 cylinder diesel so a lot more cranking torque required than for a 4 cylinder petrol. If starter motors can handle hybrid drive trains that seem to be starting the car every 30 seconds, then the amount of starts your Tig will be doing will be of no consequence.

Ozsko
31-01-2017, 08:44 PM
How do people feel on the long term effects of the stop/start system? Will it drain batteries quicker? Will it kill the longevity of the starter motor? You hear a lot of talk around the potential damaging effects, just wonder if there's any concrete evidence out there. This is my first car with it and still debating whether or not to use it on an ongoing basis. Ps I'm in Sydney, so it will be working constantly.

Does it rely on the starter to re-start? I know Mazdas do not use the starter to re-start, they stop the motor in a precise spot and fire a spark plug which gets the motor going again.

hcvo1
31-01-2017, 11:05 PM
YouTube video of the 220HP what I assume is a 162TSI walkaround and engine sound. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r63phV2eRhU

Ozsko
01-02-2017, 05:03 PM
There are now quite a few videos on YT since the release, it looks a lot of like stock VW video footage in most of them. The days of critical car tests are long gone I am sorry to say though in the journo's defence they only had restricted time and driving on Macquarie Pass.

Gladbach
01-02-2017, 07:21 PM
There are now quite a few videos on YT since the release, it looks a lot of like stock VW video footage in most of them. The days of critical car tests are long gone I am sorry to say though in the journo's defence they only had restricted time and driving on Macquarie Pass.

Not quite. They had a launch where each journo had 30 mins with the car and was given a media pack (with photos and video). That's pretty standard practice for a launch. These then form "First Drive" reviews like the ones we've seen. In the coming weeks, the journos will be offered a demo vehicle to drive for a few days, after which well see some more comprehensive reviews. It's in these reviews that you get a much more detailed review - and sometimes they can be a little different from the first drive ones - i.e. more positive or perhaps more negative, as the journos get used to the vehicle.

Sit tight, they'll come soon ;-)

jtan9695
01-02-2017, 07:25 PM
Does the car lock itself once you turn it off and walk away?

I didnt have the time to actually check it out. Also how long does the engine fan stay on after car is switched off?

And lastly how do you activate the feature that lets you keep safe distance with car in front of you??

Oh and for me personally first thing indo when i start up the car is to immediately turn off auto start stop function since ive read how it will ruin the battery in the long term.

REXman
01-02-2017, 07:44 PM
Does it rely on the starter to re-start? I know Mazdas do not use the starter to re-start, they stop the motor in a precise spot and fire a spark plug which gets the motor going again.

I always wondered how they did it. Apparently there's a second starter that does it, but that's just what my dealer told me when I asked.

Ozsko
01-02-2017, 08:27 PM
Not quite. They had a launch where each journo had 30 mins with the car and was given a media pack (with photos and video). That's pretty standard practice for a launch. These then form "First Drive" reviews like the ones we've seen. In the coming weeks, the journos will be offered a demo vehicle to drive for a few days, after which well see some more comprehensive reviews. It's in these reviews that you get a much more detailed review - and sometimes they can be a little different from the first drive ones - i.e. more positive or perhaps more negative, as the journos get used to the vehicle.

Sit tight, they'll come soon ;-)

You just confirmed what I posted, restricted driving time, stock video etc.

Ozsko
01-02-2017, 08:29 PM
I always wondered how they did it. Apparently there's a second starter that does it, but that's just what my dealer told me when I asked.

The dealer representative is wrong, Mazda do not use any form of electric starter, my son is one of their techs.

Gladbach
01-02-2017, 09:03 PM

I guess I was trying to reassure you that it's not just a sign of the times, but merely a timing issue.

Ozsko
01-02-2017, 09:17 PM
I know what you mean and I realise that what has taken place was only a taster for the journos. A normal road test these days does not go into detail like they used to, brake tests, performance figures, are the seats actually comfortable and so on which was the point I was trying to make. I like it when a new model appears and the journos proceed to bag the old one but when the old one was current they never said a word.

IsDon
01-02-2017, 09:54 PM
I'll preface this with I haven't taken delivery of our Tig yet. Next month fingers crossed. I do, however, own a 3 year old Audi A6 that I've tinkered with extensively. The answers are based on my knowledge of VAG vehicles in general, and how expect they will work on the Tig. Many of the systems are identical to that found in the later Audis.

Does the car lock itself once you turn it off and walk away?

I haven't activated this personally, but I believe it is something that can be easily activated with VCDS.

I didnt have the time to actually check it out. Also how long does the engine fan stay on after car is switched off?

The only time the fan stays running after the engine is switched off, as far as I've witnessed, is when the car decides it needs to do a DPF regen. This is a clever system, but it only applies to diesel vehicles. If the diesel has spent a lot of time in city traffic the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) can start to load up. When it get to a certain percentage of its maximum load it does a regen which, I understand, involves pumping fuel into the DPF to heat it up and burn off the particulates which then end up as soot. If you reach your destination and turn off the engine before it completes this operation, it continues with the engine switched off. The fan will run flat out while this finishes. Could be 5-10 minutes. You'll also notice an acrid smell. If you're ordering a petrol then ignore all of the above.

And lastly how do you activate the feature that lets you keep safe distance with car in front of you??

If you're asking about adaptive cruise control then this is active by default. To actually use it you just switch it on like any other cruise control. The only additional control is a setting for the distance you want it to maintain from the vehicle ahead. Personal preference. Too far and cars jump into the gap in front of you. Bloody annoying. Too close makes for nervous passengers.

Oh and for me personally first thing indo when i start up the car is to immediately turn off auto start stop function since ive read how it will ruin the battery in the long term.

Personally I think the issues with start stop ruining the battery are rubbish. It is a very clever system that will only turn off the donk when a whole bunch of hurdles are met. Battery above a certain charge, air conditioner compressor not required, engine up to temperature, stationary, foot fairly firmly in the brake etc etc etc. Like you I thought I would hate it. Now I actually think it's pretty cool. If it cuts down on the diesel idling in traffic (which is bad for them) you will probably save yourself some maintenance later on and save yourself some fuel. A lot more than you would pay for a new battery even if this was an issue, which I doubt.

That said, if you really want it gone this is easily accomplished with VCDS. Your options are to have it never activate (by changing the threshold battery voltage to a higher figure than the battery will ever get to.

Or to set it so the car remembers what your preference was when you turned off the engine. By default it will reactivate each time you start the car so you have to push the button to turn it off each time you start the car. With VCDS you can set it to remember what you had set when you switched the engine off last. If you turned it off before turning off the engine, when you next start the engine it will remain off. This is a good middle ground.

I live in the Shire in South Sydney. I have a VCDS to help with these things if you wish.

REXman
02-02-2017, 07:24 AM

I think it's important to make the distinction that they do not have the authority to write something negative.

Maybe a meaningless point, "I don't like the position of the aircon buttons" for example. This gives it a flavour of it being a real review.

They couldn't write "it was awful to drive, handled like a barge, gross interior", or something of that nature.

Unfortunately they aren't reviews, they are controlled advertisements.

Ozsko
02-02-2017, 09:38 AM
I think it's important to make the distinction that they do not have the authority to write something negative.

Oh Really! What happened to the independent press? Are you saying that VW lines up the journos and gives them a lecture on what they are allowed to write? I don't doubt that it happens but what self respecting journo would play that game when they all profess to be independent.

REXman
02-02-2017, 02:34 PM
Self respecting is the key word.. or "bills to pay" is probably the culprit.

Ozsko
02-02-2017, 05:11 PM
Bills to pay never concerned journos years ago so why should it be any different now. If it had a problem they said so unlike today where barely a criticism ever gets uttered.

JB286
12-02-2017, 01:36 PM
After a very long wait I finally managed to get my hands on my 162 R-Line with DAP and Sunroof.

I picked it up on Thursday afternoon and have spent a bit of time getting used to it, learning about it, finding out what else I need to know and driving it on regular work and weekend duties.

My thoughts so far:

Overall

It is an impressive overall package with all the options and looks amazing with the R-Line package. The 20inch wheels look fantastic and really give the car a sporty and muscular presence on the road. The sunroof for me is a must have as once you stow the inside blind, the car becomes much lighter and feels a lot more spacious. I also love driving with windows open but sometimes the noise can become too much, the sunroof means I can get the fresh air without having to open the windows. It has also been great for letting all the hot air out of the car after sitting at cricket for most of the day. The headlights are super impressive, extremely white light and great range. Haven't really tested the dynamic hi beams or the auto dimming (I don't think I have anyway) but the normal lights are fantastic.

Negatives
Will get this bit out of the way first. Requested the tow bar option but when we went to pick it up we were told that there was a software issue and that the delivery would be delayed. From what I was told they were unable to get the towing updates into my car and this was a known issue from VW Australia. This then meant that they weren't willing to let me have the full tow bar until they have the software update sorted. So they went to pull the tow bar tongue off and then took it for a test drive only for the ACC to play up so they asked us to come back in 30 mins while they sorted it. We returned an hour later and still not fixed so we sat around for another 30 mins or so until it was finally sorted. So no tow bar and not really the greatest delivery experience. And as we found out later, probably less than half a tank of petrol included.

Positives
Sport mode is awesome!! If I wasn't paying for petrol, that is where it would live all the time. I prefer the tighter suspension and the better response from the throttle but the gears hold on for just a bit too long to be used in normal operations. Active Cruise Control is also fantastic once you get used to it and have used it pretty much every time I get in the car now. It is also very spacious and comfortable, the R-Line seats feel fantastic to me but YMMV. I love the Virtual Cockpit once I sorted out my driving profile and getting the information that I want on display.

I am very happy with the car, the boot space could be a little bit more as it struggled with two (admittedly massive) cricket kits without having to fold a seat down. I wish the Virtual Cockpit was a little more flexible with customising it (big speed readout on right plus fuel economy on left instead of gear selected for example) and the central infotainment display is a little boring when not in NAV mode. It will take some time to fully understand all of what it can do and how to best use it. We had a 1 hour session being shown how to set everything up and while the guy was great and knowledgeable, it can be information overload. I highly recommend reading the manual.

Driver profiles are fantastic, you can set 3 and it remembers your seat, mirrors and Virtual Cockpit setup so that is one less thing I need to get coded in VCDS and you can also configure the windows to open and close if you hold down the appropriate key button.

I should have got a boot lip protector, that will probably be requested for when I have to take it back in for the tow bar update but apart from that no regrets or concerns. Still thinking about the idea of a tune, not sold just yet for how I use the vehicle but I wouldn't mind upgrading the brakes just for own piece of mind when the time comes to replace the current ones. Apart from that, just need to find a roof rack that can clear the sunroof and she will be already for some camping and road trips.

Hope that this helps people, happy to answer any questions anyone might have!

Gladbach
12-02-2017, 03:29 PM
Great write up, thanks. I love reading everyone's reviews. I wasn't aware that the mirror settings, seat settings and active info display settings where all linked to the driver profile - that's great info, and news well received :)

Chocolate_Bear
12-02-2017, 05:58 PM
After a very long wait I finally managed to get my hands on my 162 R-Line with DAP and Sunroof.

I picked it up on Thursday afternoon and have spent a bit of time getting used to it, learning about it, finding out what else I need to know and driving it on regular work and weekend duties.

My thoughts so far:

Overall

It is an impressive overall package with all the options and looks amazing with the R-Line package. The 20inch wheels look fantastic and really give the car a sporty and muscular presence on the road. The sunroof for me is a must have as once you stow the inside blind, the car becomes much lighter and feels a lot more spacious. I also love driving with windows open but sometimes the noise can become too much, the sunroof means I can get the fresh air without having to open the windows. It has also been great for letting all the hot air out of the car after sitting at cricket for most of the day. The headlights are super impressive, extremely white light and great range. Haven't really tested the dynamic hi beams or the auto dimming (I don't think I have anyway) but the normal lights are fantastic.

Negatives
Will get this bit out of the way first. Requested the tow bar option but when we went to pick it up we were told that there was a software issue and that the delivery would be delayed. From what I was told they were unable to get the towing updates into my car and this was a known issue from VW Australia. This then meant that they weren't willing to let me have the full tow bar until they have the software update sorted. So they went to pull the tow bar tongue off and then took it for a test drive only for the ACC to play up so they asked us to come back in 30 mins while they sorted it. We returned an hour later and still not fixed so we sat around for another 30 mins or so until it was finally sorted. So no tow bar and not really the greatest delivery experience. And as we found out later, probably less than half a tank of petrol included.

Positives
Sport mode is awesome!! If I wasn't paying for petrol, that is where it would live all the time. I prefer the tighter suspension and the better response from the throttle but the gears hold on for just a bit too long to be used in normal operations. Active Cruise Control is also fantastic once you get used to it and have used it pretty much every time I get in the car now. It is also very spacious and comfortable, the R-Line seats feel fantastic to me but YMMV. I love the Virtual Cockpit once I sorted out my driving profile and getting the information that I want on display.

I am very happy with the car, the boot space could be a little bit more as it struggled with two (admittedly massive) cricket kits without having to fold a seat down. I wish the Virtual Cockpit was a little more flexible with customising it (big speed readout on right plus fuel economy on left instead of gear selected for example) and the central infotainment display is a little boring when not in NAV mode. It will take some time to fully understand all of what it can do and how to best use it. We had a 1 hour session being shown how to set everything up and while the guy was great and knowledgeable, it can be information overload. I highly recommend reading the manual.

Driver profiles are fantastic, you can set 3 and it remembers your seat, mirrors and Virtual Cockpit setup so that is one less thing I need to get coded in VCDS and you can also configure the windows to open and close if you hold down the appropriate key button.

I should have got a boot lip protector, that will probably be requested for when I have to take it back in for the tow bar update but apart from that no regrets or concerns. Still thinking about the idea of a tune, not sold just yet for how I use the vehicle but I wouldn't mind upgrading the brakes just for own piece of mind when the time comes to replace the current ones. Apart from that, just need to find a roof rack that can clear the sunroof and she will be already for some camping and road trips.

Hope that this helps people, happy to answer any questions anyone might have!

Congrats mate! Nice review ! Thanks for sharing! Car looks sweet !! Good luck with the tow bar and safe driving

Beowulf
16-02-2017, 08:42 PM
Not sure who's car this is as was emailed it from a friend (no idea what happened) but ouch

Eyes24
16-02-2017, 08:47 PM
Not sure who's car this is as was emailed it from a friend (no idea what happened) but ouch

Dam, that did last to long.

VWVY
16-02-2017, 09:40 PM

Photo Caption :"My Tiguan has arrived and this is my experience so far" :facepalm:

tigger73
16-02-2017, 09:47 PM
I feel sorry for whoever owns this car. Hopefully it's comprehensively insured and that the policy has new for old replacement.

Looks like it's done it's job of protecting it's occupants.

Eyes24
16-02-2017, 09:49 PM
I feel sorry for whoever owns this car. Hopefully it's comprehensively insured and that the policy has new for old replacement.

Looks like it's done it's job of protecting it's occupants.

Yep, hope they get a new one to replace it.
But will be a long wait again.

Mac135
17-02-2017, 05:40 PM
in my experience so far- three weeks now there are two things I don't like about the car:

All the assistance stuff - and the beeping that comes with it. I've now turned off every thing I can (short ordering and OBDeleven or VCDS) or turned down everything i can't turn off. If I can't drive, or park by now I never will be able to. I can see lane assist as being useful on long highway trips and will turn it back on on the rare occasion I need it.

The other thing that really annoys me is the speed at which the seat belts retract - if your not careful they almost take your head off and are quite capable of punching a hole in the door card. Its like they have been tensioned to launch an F/A 18 off the USS Enterprise.

That's it two complaints......

Delewin
17-02-2017, 06:27 PM
Thanks mac135.
I'll look out for the decapitation devices. Might take some "mates" for a test run. Ha ha.

Beowulf
17-02-2017, 08:04 PM
Photo Caption :"My Tiguan has arrived and this is my experience so far" :facepalm:

I was tempted to post it under the delivery thread, telling people to inspect their cars predelivery ��

NZ_GolfR
17-02-2017, 08:45 PM
Here is a couple of cool features I have discovered after about a month of having my 162TSI:

Was getting a bit low on petrol today so thought I would put it in Eco mode for the first time to see if I could stretch out what was left in the tank. Was surprised how well it still drove in Eco mode, was expecting it to sluggish as hell but it still took off from the lights well. It was a bit slower to change down in gear when accelerating but by no means horrible to drive. It was also interesting to see that when you get up to speed and take you foot off the gas pedal it disengages gear and coasts at about 800rpm, as soon as you touch the accelerator or break pedal it instantly kicks back in.

When the fuel light did come on you get a nice message up on the infotainment screen offering to find the nearest petrol station:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/02/eacdf80cc838e1057c6d39231502ae12-2.jpg

Another small but nice touch that I hadn't noticed until today is that when the fuel light is on, the fuel gauge in the Active Info Display changes to show you how many kms left on the tank:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/02/aab2d35eb1227581e2e27e6f46c7c3bf-2.jpg

This is what makes me really enjoy the car, constantly finding new things that I didn't know about even after reading everything for 6 months while waiting for the car to arrive.

Mac135
17-02-2017, 09:52 PM
Here is a couple of cool features I have discovered after about a month of having my 162TSI:

Was getting a bit low on petrol today so thought I would put it in Eco mode for the first time to see if I could stretch out what was left in the tank. Was surprised how well it still drove in Eco mode, was expecting it to sluggish as hell but it still took off from the lights well. It was a bit slower to change down in gear when accelerating but by no means horrible to drive. It was also interesting to see that when you get up to speed and take you foot off the gas pedal it disengages gear and coasts at about 800rpm, as soon as you touch the accelerator or break pedal it instantly kicks back in.

When the fuel light did come on you get a nice message up on the infotainment screen offering to find the nearest petrol station:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/02/eacdf80cc838e1057c6d39231502ae12-2.jpg

Another small but nice touch that I hadn't noticed until today is that when the fuel light is on, the fuel gauge in the Active Info Display changes to show you how many kms left on the tank:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/02/aab2d35eb1227581e2e27e6f46c7c3bf-2.jpg

This is what makes me really enjoy the car, constantly finding new things that I didn't know about even after reading everything for 6 months while waiting for the car to arrive.

..........and even better you can nominate your preferred brands which in my case Shell and BP

kacak
17-02-2017, 11:40 PM
..........and even better you can nominate your preferred brands which in my case Shell and BP

Didn't know about the preferred brand part, that's cool - will try it tomorrow

REGS12
18-02-2017, 06:33 PM
Tiguan has now done 600km and I am very impressed. Over the last 2 days I have been driving brother in law's Toureg R line,the 250kw v8 version. I think they are around $115k to buy. I drove it for around 250 km through the hills and on the highway. It was a very good drive and quite amazing that it weighed 2 tonnes and accelerated like an SS Holden. It's ride was as you would expect from an expensive limo.

Now to the point----Today I drove our 162TSI over the same road and I reckon that Tiggy was pretty much the same except it didn't push the front as much on the bends. The ride was almost as good and I think it was as quiet.
I have disabled the lane assist, as it was a little spooky sometimes, seeing lines that did not exist. I did give it the berries off the line when I was alone, and it did get up and go, with quite an impressive howl of the tyres. Goody!!
After GTI, I am not disappointed, actually, very pleased.

Chocolate_Bear
18-02-2017, 06:59 PM
Tiguan has now done 600km and I am very impressed. Over the last 2 days I have been driving brother in law's Toureg R line,the 250kw v8 version. I think they are around $115k to buy. I drove it for around 250 km through the hills and on the highway. It was a very good drive and quite amazing that it weighed 2 tonnes and accelerated like an SS Holden. It's ride was as you would expect from an expensive limo.

Now to the point----Today I drove our 162TSI over the same road and I reckon that Tiggy was pretty much the same except it didn't push the front as much on the bends. The ride was almost as good and I think it was as quiet.
I have disabled the lane assist, as it was a little spooky sometimes, seeing lines that did not exist. I did give it the berries off the line when I was alone, and it did get up and go, with quite an impressive howl of the tyres. Goody!!
After GTI, I am not disappointed, actually, very pleased.

Mate. That sounds very promising. Thanks for posting ... Can't wait. Any exhaust tone at the higher rev range ?

REGS12
18-02-2017, 07:41 PM
One of you blokes described the exhaust note as sounding like a toilet hand drier. Spot on!

Delewin
18-02-2017, 08:16 PM
Throw out the exhaust system and put in a straight through 2.5 inch pipe connected to a 2.5 inch straight through muffler. The rich deep note has to be heard. So beautiful. It is also very quiet when you are not acceĺlerating.
[emoji1] [emoji106]

Chocolate_Bear
18-02-2017, 08:47 PM
Throw out the exhaust system and put in a straight through 2.5 inch pipe connected to a 2.5 inch straight through muffler. The rich deep note has to be heard. So beautiful. It is also very quiet when you are not acceĺlerating.
[emoji1] [emoji106]

[emoji23]

Mac135
18-02-2017, 09:37 PM
Didn't know about the preferred brand part, that's cool - will try it tomorrow

In your Nav use Points of interest, select fuel, select you preferred supplier.........then when you get the low fuel warning the preferred option pops up for you to drive to.

vwnc
19-02-2017, 02:06 PM
I haven't taken delivery yet, however coincidentally had two Tiguan (Diesel Highline, R) park in front of me this weekend (city and shopping centre). Had a chat with both drivers... feedback from both below, thought others may be interested:

1: Regrets not waiting for the 162, regrets not getting sunroof, loves DAP, park assist gets confused when parking over new bike lanes and needing to cross over into parking spot. Absolutely loves car.

2: Boot could be bigger, not too happy with paint job, headlights very impressive, dash sunglasses lid doesn't sit flush, loves everything else about car

Both didn't know of the traffic reporting option, as not turned on by dealer.

Mostly more of what we already know!

latearrival
19-02-2017, 07:32 PM
the traffic reporting option

What is that please?

Gladbach
19-02-2017, 07:42 PM
What is that please?

You can activate traffic info (traffic congestion on maps) via a VCDS setting.

latearrival
19-02-2017, 09:27 PM
You can activate traffic info (traffic congestion on maps) via a VCDS setting.

Ah, ok, thanks. Sounds like an obvious thing you'd want on. Do you have any idea why it needs activating by the dealer rather than being on by default?

IsDon
19-02-2017, 09:29 PM
Ah, ok, thanks. Sounds like an obvious thing you'd want on. Do you have any idea why it needs activating by the dealer rather than being on by default?

The dealer won't do it. Against policy.

You'll need someone with VCDS to activate it for you. A simple task. 5 minutes max.

latearrival
20-02-2017, 09:37 AM
The dealer won't do it. Against policy.

Because this is a feature that we're not supposed to have and so it's turned off?

Eyes24
20-02-2017, 09:46 AM
Because this is a feature that we're not supposed to have and so it's turned off?

Does anyone in Melb know where we can get it done?

Gladbach
20-02-2017, 10:25 AM

Yeah, it's not licensed in Australia by VW, so it is disabled by default.

Aus_fas
21-02-2017, 07:43 PM
I am trying to get tyre pressure and the traffic sign detection displayed on active info display. Anyone ??, please.

latearrival
24-02-2017, 02:43 PM
I am trying to get tyre pressure and the traffic sign detection displayed on active info display. Anyone ??, please.

I didn't think road sign detection was available on Australian models. Can't help with tyre pressure monitoring as I don't have my Tig yet.

Gladbach
24-02-2017, 02:54 PM
I didn't think road sign detection was available on Australian models. Can't help with tyre pressure monitoring as I don't have my Tig yet.

Seems to be - was mentioned in one of the Australian reviews (in the context that it wasn't always detecting the right speed limit).

latearrival
24-02-2017, 03:34 PM
Seems to be - was mentioned in one of the Australian reviews (in the context that it wasn't always detecting the right speed limit).

Found it. This one: http://www.motoring.com.au/volkswagen-tiguan-2017-review-105631/

"The traffic sign recognition in the Tiguan’s sat-nav system was occasionally fooled by advisory speed limit signs, on occasion posting a ’45’ or ’35’ rather than the ’60’, ’80’ or ‘100’ speed limit zones that actually applied. On one occasion we noted that the system readjusted swiftly after the car was past the road sign in question."

I can't find any other reference to sign recognition anywhere else. I find that paragraph a bit confusing too. Sign recognition is done via a camera not via the sat-nav. Perhaps the reviewer got muddled up with speed limit info contained in the sat-nav maps, rather than by a camera that was reading speed signs by the side of the road.

IsDon
24-02-2017, 04:29 PM
Sign recognition is done by a camera. The same camera used for lane assist. No lane assist then it's not possible. If it's not activated by default or a driver setting then it can be activated with VCDS I believe.

Tyre pressure monitoring isn't displayed as the system doesn't actually monitor the pressure in the tyre per se. The system works through the ABS sensor on each wheel. When you first get your new car, and whenever you change tyres or change tyre pressures you must initialise the system for it to work correctly. Once it has those "pressures" stored it then very accurately keeps track of the rotational speed of each wheel. A deflated tyre will obviously rotate faster than the system expects it should for a given speed which the TPMS will sense. This will then set off a caution for a deflated tyre and tell you which wheel is affected.

latearrival
24-02-2017, 04:37 PM
Sign recognition is done by a camera. The same camera used for lane assist. No lane assist then it's not possible. If it's not activated by default or a driver setting then it can be activated with VCDS I believe.

Tyre pressure monitoring isn't displayed as the system doesn't actually monitor the pressure in the tyre per se. The system works through the ABS sensor on each wheel. When you first get your new car, and whenever you change tyres or change tyre pressures you must initialise the system for it to work correctly. Once it has those "pressures" stored it then very accurately keeps track of the rotational speed of each wheel. A deflated tyre will obviously rotate faster than the system expects it should for a given speed which the TPMS will sense. This will then set off a caution for a deflated tyre and tell you which wheel is affected.

Good to know, thanks for sharing. I'm 99% sure Sign Recognition is not enabled in Australia (but is in the UK & NZ). Here's a thread about trying to enable it: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f149/traffic-sign-recognition-any-luck-enabling-115969.html

NZ_GolfR
24-02-2017, 04:39 PM

The Tyre Pressure Monitoring in the Tiguan (or at lest my 162TSI R Line and the 110TSI I have been driving for the past few days) is definitely an active system, it has sensors in all the tyres and shows the actual pressure on the AID and Infotainment System.

My old MK6 Golf had the passive system that used the ABS Sensors to monitor a change in pressure and just had a warning light if it detected one wheel spinning at a different speed to the rest.

IsDon
24-02-2017, 04:42 PM
The Tyre Pressure Monitoring in the Tiguan (or at lest my 162TSI R Line and the 110TSI I have been driving for the past few days) is definitely an active system, it has sensors in all the tyres and shows the actual pressure on the AID and Infotainment System.

My old MK6 Golf had the passive system that used the ABS Sensors to monitor a change in pressure and just had a warning light if it detected one wheel spinning at a different speed to the rest.

My mistake. I assumed it was the same system Audi uses. Thanks for the update.

Does it use senders on the valve stalks like some older systems use or is it built into the wheel? The valve stalk senders were always problematic.

NZ_GolfR
24-02-2017, 06:14 PM
My mistake. I assumed it was the same system Audi uses. Thanks for the update.

Does it use senders on the valve stalks like some older systems use or is it built into the wheel? The valve stalk senders were always problematic.

I am pretty sure it uses sensors in the valves:

Sorry, not the best photo but all I had and too dark to take one at the moment.

cvee
24-02-2017, 08:25 PM
Is there anyone here who can give a quick summary on the tools related to VCDS? What sort of things can be enabled/disabled? Is there a quick start guide for newbies?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IsDon
24-02-2017, 08:34 PM
Is there anyone here who can give a quick summary on the tools related to VCDS? What sort of things can be enabled/disabled? Is there a quick start guide for newbies?

Best idea is have a look at the Ross-Tech web site and follow the links to the forums and the wiki. There is also a lot of Ross-Tech videos on YouTube.

There's lots [emoji16]

cvee
24-02-2017, 08:43 PM
Best idea is have a look at the Ross-Tech web site and follow the links to the forums and the wiki. There is also a lot of Ross-Tech videos on YouTube.

There's lots [emoji16]

Hmmm. Was just there. Very pricey.
What about OBDeleven? Seems the obd2 dongle and software are much cheaper and still allows programming.

IsDon
24-02-2017, 09:08 PM
Hmmm. Was just there. Very pricey.
What about OBDeleven? Seems the obd2 dongle and software are much cheaper and still allows programming.

Yes, it is pricy. I bought mine when I decided to import a Westfalia tow bar from Europe for my A6 rather than pay $4000 for the Audi piece of **** that passes for a tow bar in Australia.

The Westfalia (which is a work of art and the OEM bar for Audis in Europe) cost $1000 delivered to my doorstep.

I fitted the bar over the weekend, which included the towing module, but the car wasn't happy. The car had to be coded. Audi wouldn't do it so I had to work it out myself. I then decided the $500 for the Ross-Tech cable was a good investment. Ross-Tech customer service is fantastic. Between them, Westfalia in Germany, and the Westfalia franchise in Australia (that had only just started at that time and weren't yet selling to the public) we managed to work out the coding. About 12 modules had to be tweaked.

So for $1500 total, I had a superior bar fitted, a VCDS cable I've used extensively since, and a whole bunch of knowledge on how these cars work and how much can be achieved with this cable.

I'm sure a lot of what the VCDS does can be done with the OBDeleven, and at a lower cost. I don't know what their relative abilities are. My experiences with the Ross-Tech cable, and their after sales assistance have been very good, and they have been at it a long time. I wouldn't hesitate to go the Ross-Tech option again.

There are countless forums for VCDS tweaks for all VAG models. A cheaper option is to just ask someone with a cable to do the coding for you. I've done a lot of coding for lots of guys for free.

latearrival
26-02-2017, 01:30 PM
...and how much can be achieved with this cable.

Do you think that enabling significant features that appear to be unavailable in Australia - such as Traffic Jam Assist, Traffic Sign Recognition and Adaptive Lane Guidance - can be turned on with this type of software?

Ozsko
26-02-2017, 04:30 PM
How does this stuff work, does Ross-Tech do the investigating and pass on the knowledge or do owners just get stuck in and figure it out?

IsDon
26-02-2017, 04:57 PM
Do you think that enabling significant features that appear to be unavailable in Australia - such as Traffic Jam Assist, Traffic Sign Recognition and Adaptive Lane Guidance - can be turned on with this type of software?

Traffic information is certainly easy to activate. 100% doable.

Traffic Jam Assist is something I'll have to have a look at after our Tig arrives (May). From the research I've done to date, although limited, I'm led to believe that Traffic Jam Assist requires upgraded hardware that our Australian Tigs aren't fitted with. That is upgraded hardware for the adaptive cruise and/or camera system. Without having a vehicle to tinker with though I'm not certain either way. I'm certainly going to have a lash at it but, to be honest, I don't think I'll be successful. 10% doable.

Traffic sign recognition. I'm pretty certain the camera fitted to our Tigs for Lane Assist is sufficient for this option. Certainly recent Audis with the same Discover Pro system with Lane Assist have been successful in activating this feature. I'm quietly confident I can get this working fairly easily. 90% doable.

Adaptive Lane Guidance. I think you mean the Lane guidance associated with Traffic Jam Assist so see the above paragraph.

My understanding of the different Lane Assist systems is that our Tigs are fitted with, for the want of a better term, a passive Lane keeping system. It monitors your place in the lane, but will only do anything once it sees that your drifting out of your lane without an associated indicator input to tell the system that's what you intend to do. I imagine bouncing from one side of the lane to the other not being kept in the middle of your lane. Traffic Jam Assist, and its associated Lane Keeping is more of an active system. It uses the adaptive cruise to monitor the distance to the vehicle ahead and will vary speed accordingly, but will also (up to a speed of 60 km/h or so) keep you actively in the middle of the lane. I may be wrong, but I believe the hardware for these two systems is different. Accordingly I don't believe Traffic Jam Assist is something that can just be switched on with VCDS. It's something I'll look into further one our Tig arrives.

IsDon
26-02-2017, 05:19 PM
How does this stuff work, does Ross-Tech do the investigating and pass on the knowledge or do owners just get stuck in and figure it out?

Combination of both.

In the example I gave above with my towbar, very little was known about the C7 A6 while I was trying to nut this out. A lot of research went on. Comparing coding for vehicles in Europe that had factory fitted bars and with those without to spot the difference in the binary string for each module the car had fitted. Quite a big task. My car has probably 30 or so different modules so comparing each of these was quite time consuming I would expect. Adding to the frustration, was that some of the modules had security codes which had to be determined and documented. Once a difference was found, then a trial and error approach was taken to systematically see what effect each change had on the car. Once that was determined, it could then be documented as a known mod. Understand too that changes occurred in about 12 different modules, some of which you wouldn't expect to be relevant to towbars so it's not really that intuitive. Some were a no brainer, turning off the rear parking sensors when a trailer is connected for example. Some less so, ABS module, Air Suspension, Traction Control, engine (stops you using economy mode when towing). And some I would never have thought of like the boot (Allroad so like a station wagon) to avoid you opening the boot from the drivers seat with a trailer fitted since it might hit whatever you're towing. 360 camera, adds to the available graphics to show you where the tow bar will track as you're backing it up. Super clever stuff.

This is where Ross-Tech's expertise was invaluable. I'm not certain the same expertise exists with other tools.

Once these changes are documented and incorporated in the program, its presented it to you in the form of a drop down menu and a set of check boxes for what options you have available. It's then very easy to change things. I anticipate a period of learning with this new Tig model though, like other new VAG models that have preceded it. A lot of things will be immediately available, as they're identical to systems in other Audis and Skodas that have been out on the road for a while, but some will be new and take time to sort out.

latearrival
26-02-2017, 07:01 PM
Adaptive Lane Guidance. I think you mean the Lane guidance associated with Traffic Jam Assist

Hey thanks for the detailed reply! Traffic Sign Recognition sounds promising. And yes, my understanding of TJA and Adaptive Lane Guidance is that they keep the car centred in the lane (at slow and freeway speeds respectively).

I read about Adaptive Lane Guidance here: Lane Assist - adaptive lane guidance - VW Tiguan MK2 Forums (http://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=792)

I've come to think of the various lane assists like this (rightly or wrongly!):

Passive Lane Assist: Alerts you to a possible lane departure but doesn't take over the steering.
Active Lane Assist: Takes over the steering to prevent you crossing the lane. Will 'bounce' you off the lane markings rather than keep the car centred.
Adaptive Lane Guidance: Will control the steering to keep you centred in the lane on the freeway.

I thought that ALG was available with DAP on both UK and NZ models.

IsDon
26-02-2017, 08:14 PM
I thought that ALG was available with DAP on both UK and NZ models.

I'm sure you're correct. Different markets get different capabilities. Some are just software tweaks to switch them on, some are different hardware.

I'm pretty sure TJA and ALG is hardware that we don't get in Australia. I hope I'm wrong and it can be switched on, but I doubt it unfortunately.

cvee
26-02-2017, 08:35 PM
I'm sure you're correct. Different markets get different capabilities. Some are just software tweaks to switch them on, some are different hardware.

I'm pretty sure TJA and ALG is hardware that we don't get in Australia. I hope I'm wrong and it can be switched on, but I doubt it unfortunately.

Buy a Skoda hehe.
I'm just being jovial.

latearrival
26-02-2017, 09:20 PM
I hope I'm wrong and it can be switched on

This invalidates your warranty though, right? Assuming it does, can the settings be set back to the factory default so that the tinkering can't be detected?

IsDon
26-02-2017, 09:33 PM
This invalidates your warranty though, right? Assuming it does, can the settings be set back to the factory default so that the tinkering can't be detected?

No. No affect on your warranty. It's not like a aftermarket chip or anything like that.

I've left all of my tweaks in place and it has never even been mentioned by the dealer.

Think of these tweaks as just switch selections. It's just that the switches are hidden from you.

Any of these tweaks can be returned back to original without any issue whatsoever.

It pays to keep a detailed record of what the original coding was, what you changed it to and what affect it has.

Something that can happen is the factory system can overwrite your tweaks and put them back to what it thinks it should be. Usually when you do a firmware update. This means going back and coding it again.

There's no danger. No possibility of damaging anything and it's easily reversed.

latearrival
27-02-2017, 07:30 AM
No. No affect on your warranty. It's not like a aftermarket chip or anything like that.

I've left all of my tweaks in place and it has never even been mentioned by the dealer.

Think of these tweaks as just switch selections. It's just that the switches are hidden from you.

Any of these tweaks can be returned back to original without any issue whatsoever.

It pays to keep a detailed record of what the original coding was, what you changed it to and what affect it has.

Something that can happen is the factory system can overwrite your tweaks and put them back to what it thinks it should be. Usually when you do a firmware update. This means going back and coding it again.

There's no danger. No possibility of damaging anything and it's easily reversed.

That's good to know, thanks.

TIG162R
01-03-2017, 11:47 AM
Hey guys,

I'm impatiently waiting for my 162TSI R-Line to arrive & just wondering if any of you who have yours & have 2 kids seats in the back - is there enough room for an adult to sit in between them?

Schland77
01-03-2017, 02:01 PM
Hey guys,

I'm impatiently waiting for my 162TSI R-Line to arrive & just wondering if any of you who have yours & have 2 kids seats in the back - is there enough room for an adult to sit in between them?

I do- it depends a bit on the size of your seats and of course the size of the adult :) - in my car, there is definitely space for a "normal" adult and the seat belt is also usable

TIG162R
01-03-2017, 04:42 PM
I do- it depends a bit on the size of your seats and of course the size of the adult :) - in my car, there is definitely space for a "normal" adult and the seat belt is also usable

Awesome, thanks heaps Schland77. I have a 3 & a 5 year old. I guess your version of "normal" would be an "average" sized person who isn't slim but carrying a bit of baby fat :biggrin:?

edison_1234
01-03-2017, 09:48 PM
Hello everyone, I just saw today that the rear bumper of the 2017 Tiguan has a cut out on the bottom of the bumper. Does anyone's Tiguan also have a cutout at the bottom of their rear bumper?

IsDon
01-03-2017, 09:50 PM
Hello everyone, I just saw today that the rear bumper of the 2017 Tiguan has a cut out on the bottom of the bumper. Does anyone's Tiguan also have a cutout at the bottom of their rear bumper?

Cut out for the OEM Westfalia towbar, that's standard in every county but Australia, I would suspect. The Westfalia connects vertically from underneath the bumper.

edison_1234
01-03-2017, 10:10 PM
Cut out for the OEM Westfalia towbar, that's standard in every county but Australia, I would suspect. The Westfalia connects vertically from underneath the bumper.

Hello thanks for the reply,

Here's what the cutout looks like

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/d8d756c0c22ac2f9431bca749c526250-2.jpg

Is this what your talking about?

Monty1951
02-03-2017, 12:53 PM
Tig Comfortline, delivered October 2016.I have a problem with the steering, it makes an odd noise when turning the wheel. I had it looked at today.The problem was diagnosed,a part ordered and I'm booked in to get it fixed in 3 weeks, all under warranty. I get a loan car for the day. They offered to wash and vacuum the car but I was in a hurry to go. No fuss, no haggling, very happy.

TungstenR
02-03-2017, 01:23 PM

The cutout is for the fold away automatic towbar, and the "easy open" sway-your-foot sensor.

IsDon
02-03-2017, 02:06 PM
The cutout is for the fold away automatic towbar, and the "easy open" sway-your-foot sensor.

That would be right.

You know that very convenient drop down tow bar that the rest of the world can use, but the Australian Standards Association has decided is too dangerous for use in Australia.

You know, just like the much safer ISO fix child restraints which were, until recently, banned in Australia despite them being much safer, much more convenient and less prone to incorrect fitment than the top tether seats mandated here.

Gladbach
02-03-2017, 02:52 PM
Sure that's not just a gaping hole under the bumper though right? Did you remove a cover or something? I've looked under the bumper before to check out the exhaust set up, and the ones I checked didn't have a cutaway like that.

Hole46
02-03-2017, 04:47 PM
Sure that's not just a gaping hole under the bumper though right? Did you remove a cover or something? I've looked under the bumper before to check out the exhaust set up, and the ones I checked didn't have a cutaway like that.
Mine has the same cutaway under bumper.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Delewin
02-03-2017, 04:50 PM
Could this cut away be just for highlines?

hcvo1
02-03-2017, 09:34 PM
Hey guys,

Have a look at this video - you can fit 3 baby seats in the back so 2 seats and an adult should be ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6vdF3UQ19k

edison_1234
02-03-2017, 10:00 PM
Mine has the same cutaway under bumper.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Yea mine has the cutaway, it looks like it's suppose to be there as the cut out has paint around the edges and not just "cut out" or taken a panel out, it looks like it was made to have that gap.

But from what Iv seen while trying to look for the foot sensor, I can't seem to find where the sensor is. I'v looked inside the gap and around the exhaust and I haven't seen any sensor. Where would that sensor be hiding???

tigger73
03-03-2017, 06:39 AM
Have a look at this video - you can fit 3 baby seats in the back so 2 seats and an adult should be ok.

I think the model of baby seat makes a big difference. From my own experience some are wider than others. You wouldn't think that a cm or 2 makes a big difference but it's surprising how it goes from being squishy to having enough room.

Also depends on how long you're going - whether the next suburb or an interstate trip. We managed to fit 3 kids in the back of a gen1 Tig without too many issues - one in a booster seat and the other in a baby seat.

TIG162R
03-03-2017, 07:20 AM

I think the model of baby seat makes a big difference. From my own experience some are wider than others. You wouldn't think that a cm or 2 makes a big difference but it's surprising how it goes from being squishy to having enough room.

Also depends on how long you're going - whether the next suburb or an interstate trip. We managed to fit 3 kids in the back of a gen1 Tig without too many issues - one in a booster seat and the other in a baby seat.

Thanks for the vid hcvo1 & tigger73! Man watching this video & seeing other guys post their pics is making the wait even harder lol

Ozsko
03-03-2017, 04:44 PM
I have one big gripe about this car, there is no light in the console where the USB port is and it is pure guesswork trying plug anything into it.

Shock&Awe
04-03-2017, 10:11 PM
Tiguan 162 Tsi R-line is a good car for the price. In terms of features - it beats my Golf R Wolfsburg wagon. In terms of build quality and refinement - the R is a better car.

Regdop
05-03-2017, 12:02 PM
Ive Had my Tiguan (White R-Line) now for 5 days, it was delivered to my home on Tuesday. So Ive had a chance to live with it awhile and I thought I would document my initial thoughts. I have posted in the "Towbar " thread for anyone keen to read it (who am I kidding... you're all going to read it ;-) I absolutely love the color of the white ( I will post photos soon) I know it is personal preference but for me the white is very crisp and quite luxury looking. The Tig has a very chunky solid stance and sitting next to my wife's MK6 Golf look massive. The 20" wheels are amazing... I have setup my suspension in comfort mode and don't feel any of the jarring and thumps you normally get with a low profile tyre. Everyday road bump, ripples. pot holes and stuff are absorbed nicely by the electronic dampers and is really a comfortable ride.
Love the steering wheel and the DAP, am still a little confused about the green lines and white lines for lane assist, not sure a like to wrestle with the steering wheel on a merging lane if I dont indicate, not a fan of the stop/start system, although with the aircon on I find it doesn't really kick in? Absolutely HATE the speakers ( so harsh and screechy), Im getting new Morels fitted next week with all the appropriate deadening, front and back for $1500.... may get an amp at a later stage dependent on speaker volume...I know the clarirty will be so much better!!
Love the seating and especially seat height... I'm 56, and getting in an out where I just need to slide my arse across is perfect for old worn hips and knees.
Only done about 300K so far so am really nursing it...no mention anywhere of a 1000K service... first one is at 15K?? So have really tested it yet, but already know I will get a stage 1 tune ant some point.
Like the automatic rear door and the foot action works fine with just a shout kick in and back, although there is a little time lag to the point you think it didn't register and then you hear it operate.

that's my rambling thoughts so far... I will post some pics soon when the garage is empty of cars!

cheers
Gary

TIG162R
05-03-2017, 03:14 PM
...Absolutely HATE the speakers ( so harsh and screechy), Im getting new Morels fitted next week with all the appropriate deadening, front and back for $1500.... may get an amp at a later stage dependent on speaker volume...I know the clarirty will be so much better!!

cheers
Gary

Nice writeup Gary, thanks for sharing. I would be keen to know more about your Morels setup and wht Stage 1 tune you would go for? Look forward to seeing the pics.

Gladbach
05-03-2017, 04:05 PM
Ive Had my Tiguan (White R-Line) now for 5 days, it was delivered to my home on Tuesday. So Ive had a chance to live with it awhile and I thought I would document my initial thoughts. I have posted in the "Towbar " thread for anyone keen to read it (who am I kidding... you're all going to read it ;-) I absolutely love the color of the white ( I will post photos soon) I know it is personal preference but for me the white is very crisp and quite luxury looking. The Tig has a very chunky solid stance and sitting next to my wife's MK6 Golf look massive. The 20" wheels are amazing... I have setup my suspension in comfort mode and don't feel any of the jarring and thumps you normally get with a low profile tyre. Everyday road bump, ripples. pot holes and stuff are absorbed nicely by the electronic dampers and is really a comfortable ride.
Love the steering wheel and the DAP, am still a little confused about the green lines and white lines for lane assist, not sure a like to wrestle with the steering wheel on a merging lane if I dont indicate, not a fan of the stop/start system, although with the aircon on I find it doesn't really kick in? Absolutely HATE the speakers ( so harsh and screechy), Im getting new Morels fitted next week with all the appropriate deadening, front and back for $1500.... may get an amp at a later stage dependent on speaker volume...I know the clarirty will be so much better!!
Love the seating and especially seat height... I'm 56, and getting in an out where I just need to slide my arse across is perfect for old worn hips and knees.
Only done about 300K so far so am really nursing it...no mention anywhere of a 1000K service... first one is at 15K?? So have really tested it yet, but already know I will get a stage 1 tune ant some point.
Like the automatic rear door and the foot action works fine with just a shout kick in and back, although there is a little time lag to the point you think it didn't register and then you hear it operate.

that's my rambling thoughts so far... I will post some pics soon when the garage is empty of cars!

cheers
Gary

Thanks from me as well for the write up, I'm also keen to hear how the new speakers go as well.

Regdop
05-03-2017, 05:59 PM
Thanks from me as well for the write up, I'm also keen to hear how the new speakers go as well.

Will keep you guys in the loop.... so pics as promised although I cant take a photo to save myself...

TIG162R
05-03-2017, 06:55 PM
Will keep you guys in the loop.... so pics as promised although I cant take a photo to save myself...

Awesome thanks! Great pics too! Any one else wishing that the car sat slightly lower on the tyres?

vwnc
05-03-2017, 08:30 PM

cheers
Gary

Thanks Gary! Love the feedback. Car looks amazing. Have you had the windows tinted or is that standard?

Regdop
05-03-2017, 08:58 PM
Thanks Gary! Love the feedback. Car looks amazing. Have you had the windows tinted or is that standard?

Cheers...yep windows tinted!

Gladbach
05-03-2017, 09:41 PM
Cheers...yep windows tinted!

Just the front ones? The rear have privacy glass right?

Regdop
05-03-2017, 09:54 PM
Just the front ones? The rear have privacy glass right?

That's right, just front.... but had clear film put on the others for UV protection

Frogasaursas
06-03-2017, 07:04 AM
The 1,000km service - does this cost anything? I read somewhere it's free but not subsidised by vw so the dealer cops it. I was going to service it at a dealership I didn't purchase from, so wondering if they'll do it for free?

Delewin
06-03-2017, 07:35 AM
This is an important question for me as well as the dealer I bought it from is over 60 km from where I live. They gave the best deal. I will be getting it serviced by a much closer dealer.

Regdop
06-03-2017, 07:40 AM
This is an important question for me as well as the dealer I bought it from is over 60 km from where I live. They gave the best deal. I will be getting it serviced by a much closer dealer.

This is also my concern as well....Im hoping they change the oil and filter and give everything a look over?

marcuskmt
07-03-2017, 09:30 AM
The 1,000km service - does this cost anything? I read somewhere it's free but not subsidised by vw so the dealer cops it. I was going to service it at a dealership I didn't purchase from, so wondering if they'll do it for free?

I thought that the cap priced servicing is available from any dealer, irrespective of who you purchased it from.

dlotters
07-03-2017, 12:25 PM

Pretty sure you can go to any VW dealership as the fixed prices for the services come from VW Aus itself.

Having said that, I didn't have a 1000km service at all. I asked my dealer about it when I took delivery and he said it's not a thing and to just bring it in at 12 months or 15,000km, whichever comes first. I've got the 140TDI if that makes any difference.