PDA

View Full Version : To Air or not to Air?

T Rex
07-01-2008, 06:46 AM
Hi, I am a new member seriously contemplating a Touareg V6 TDI (test drive next Thursday). Previously have owned 2 Range Rovers, an X5 and currently a 2005 Prado. We need to tow a heavy trailer (race car) and we also want to be able to do outback camping trips as we did in the RRs. Why the Touareg? - hopefully it will combine the fantastic qualities of the X5 with the offroad ability of the others.
My initial thought was to go the conventional steel spring suspension (simple, nothing to go wrong etc) but there are some serious arguements for the air springs given my intended use (keep car level when towing + extra clearance for off road).
I would opt for the air setup in a flash if I knew it was reilable (unlike land rover) - can any members share their experiences with Touareg air suspension with me? Thank you

dmm_au
07-01-2008, 10:29 AM
I hope you're impressed with your test drive.
I suspect you're going to find, air is an option that only the V10 owners have.
I considered it, but it is an expensive option, that frankly I figured had great potential to make me unhappy. Also I couldn't find a vehicle with air to test drive, which meant I couldn't disprove the Topgear review, where they said the air suspension created a seasick inducing motion.

I reckon you should ask you question on clubtouareg.com
There are more US drivers with air suspension.

T Rex
07-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks David - I have now posted the same message with clubtouareg. My test drive will be in a steel sprung model. Today I have checked with Polyair and they would be willing to make/install a set of polyair springs for about $600. I have these on the Pardo and keep things level with a trailer hooked up or a heavy load on board. Could be a smarter (and much cheaper option than air).
Geoff

FLOSPOLOGTI
07-01-2008, 12:25 PM
Hi TRex

All of the current model Euro 4wds that have air suspension feel like crap ....IF set to the 'comfort' setting !

Set to Auto or sport .........most are fine. I have GL320 cdi Mercedes and on 'comfort' it would not be wise to travel down a undulating/bumpy/poorly maintained pothole road - as per all others you feel like the vehicle is over compensating for the bumps it feels by 'floating' the body over the suspension. This is the same for the Cayenne, Q7 and V10 Treg. These same vehicles feel fine in 'auto' of 'sport'........having said that.......do not pay for air on a V6. Only if you are after the V10 (becuase it has it standard) would I get it in a Treg. The standard sprung car is absolutely fine for your intended use. Also if you get the chance have a look at all the plumbing and wiring in an air suspended car...........geezus.........wouldnt want them out of warranty !

T Rex
08-01-2008, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the responses so far. Can someone with steel springs confirm for me if the rear springs have the shock external to them or do they have the shock/strut running through the centre. The latter would preclude fitting Polyairs, the former would open up that option.
Geoff

T Rex
08-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Today I have learned vis clubtouareg that the rear springs have the shock up through the centre so Polyairs are out. Before I decide on airsuspension am I worring about nothing? Given the experince in this forum I guess I should ask you folks with steel springs if the back of your Treg drops noticeably with a heavy load and/or when towing a decent sized trailer - do you find your lights hitting the tree tops rather than the road? Thanks
Geoff

phaeton
08-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Welcome to VWwA T Rex j:

Most of the Aussie 4x4 mags have been happy with the steel suspension as the ride is better out in the sticks.......but if you need ground clearance go the air suspension although its around 8.4K last time I looked up the VW pricelist :o

Good Luck with your purchase :D

bobzed57
08-01-2008, 07:09 PM
T Rex (great handle btw, was a bit of a fan in my youth)

I have the steel springs and regularly tow a 1.3t camper trailer, and while the there is a sag of about 10mm, it doesn't affect handling. VW rates the towbar at 350kg ball weight, which is a fair bit.

I'm not sure that the polyairs (or something similar) couldn't be done. There was an R5 owner from Wollongong who had air bags fitted to his rear suspension and a compressor and tank installed in the luggage compartment. He had someone in Dapto fit the system, and it was pretty exy as I recall. I haven't heard from him in a couple of years.

The Treg also has height adjustable headlights. There's a thumb switch that raises and lowers the headlight angle, so you shouldn't have any trouble.

I'm looking at getting new springs and shocks to give me a little more lift. Bilstein make shocks for the Treg, and I believe Lovell will do some springs. Another R5 user in Sydney has this combo and is very happy. I suspect it won't be a cheap fit.

Cheers

Bob

T Rex
13-01-2008, 06:19 AM
Thanks everyone for your ideas and sharing your Touareg experience with me. Combining these with comments from the clubtouareg.com forum have allowed me to make a decision to go with the air suspension.
There is no doubt that the simplicity of coils is great but given that I cannot fit air bags to the coil-over rear springs and I don't want to change springs and shocks then air suspension is the way to go given my towing/heavy load requirements.
Any problems folks have with the air suspension seem to have been minor rather than outright failures and on earlier cars rather than later ones so we will give it a shot. (and really test VW roadside service beyond the black stump if it fails).
I test drove a T2 V6 TDI with air suspension last Thursday and was very impressed. My preference would be to use the "sport" suspension setting on sealed roads as I don't like a soft set up, although on corrugations the "auto" setting seemed better. Given that the $8400 Air Suspension option also includes the $3000 Xenon package it is not too bad. As I live out of town good lights will be handy. The V6 TDI is awesome.
So... this week I will order a 2008 Reflex Silver (Anthracite interior) V6 TDI with Air Suspension/Xenon, Sunroof, Towing setup, fog lamps, roof rails and a spare wheel (no tyre) to carry on longer trips.
Next decision - what's the best tyres to suit mainly selaed roads but some serious off roading from time to time - I'm thinking Pirelli Scorpions but I guess I had better check other threads in this forum! Comments?
Thanks guys.
Geoff

FLOSPOLOGTI
13-01-2008, 08:05 AM
Hi TRex

Just a quick one with your intended purchase;

this is for IF you intend towing over 2000kgs only (and since you are intending on towing a race car may well be the case) - you may already know an electronic brake controller must be installed in your vehicle (ADRs). Try finding a competent installer in your area who has done this before (ie installed the controlller utilising the VW brake control module which monitors trailer light (globe) failure.........GOOD LUCK with finding one !, and get a figure for installing it to throw into the 'bargaining' equation. Of the five auto electricians I called (including those recommended by their local VW dealer) only one 'suggested' they had done one before, two said they had tried but couldnt work it out, one had attempted -spent two days - gave up and gave it back to the dealer and another said they wire it independently because they cant 'interface' an aftermarket electronic brake controller with the VW brake electronics !

Good luck !

T Rex
13-01-2008, 08:43 AM
Thanks Flospologti
Luckily my heaviest towing will be just under 2000kg (combined trailer and load). It is a very stable tandem trailer with overide brakes which was handled easily by my Prado and X5. I appreciate the alert though.

Cheers

Geoff

sparky
14-01-2008, 05:13 PM
I think you can"Harden" your suspension with say 18inch wheels and lower profile tyres...I used Bridgestone 680s (now just replaced by a new model by Bridgesone) on my Cayenne (Steel suspension)and they were superb on road and ok but not hard core offroad.Use the 17 inch offroad?Hope you are right as my new V6 TD arrives this week same Colour/specs as yours fully loaded.Still investigating the Steinbauer chip upgrade vs Oettinger which I have been told is okd by my local VW dealer--191 KW,550nm..Rgds Sparky

Golf Houso
14-01-2008, 06:15 PM
The air ride would boss resale value by quite a bit as well I'd imagine. I'm pretty sure that 8,000 you would spend on top would really make it the most desirable V6 T reg on the second market when you choose to sell it.

Also, do any of your other cars have any other similar set ups?

Mischa
14-01-2008, 06:43 PM
what car do you race?

T Rex
15-01-2008, 06:26 AM
Race a 1969 Morgan Plus 8 (historic racing), rally a 1982 BMW Alpina B6 replica (3.2lites) (tarmac special stage rallies). Cheers

Mischa
15-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Race a 1969 Morgan Plus 8 (historic racing), rally a 1982 BMW Alpina B6 replica (3.2lites) (tarmac special stage rallies). Cheers

oh awsome... going in targa?

T Rex
15-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Would like to. We have done Classic Adelaide 6 times (5 in Morgan, 1 Alpina). Great fun!

Ordered the new Touareg yesterday - changed our mind and went for Atacama Grey instead of silver. Now the 3 months wait...

sparky
19-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Having picked up my new V6 TDI with air suspension two weeks ago my comments are that it is a bit soft and leans around corners on Auto but on Highways and long distances very much better/comfortable than my Steel Suspension Cayenne...I am happy to have spent the xtra $...part of it may be the new tyres with plenty of rubber...Pirelli P Zero Rossos

T Rex
22-02-2008, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the feedback Sparky. Yes, that's what I felt when I test drove one - I think I would tend to have it on Sport for most driving and Auto for rough roads. Great you are able to compare with the Cayenne. Our Touareg goes down the production line next week. Are the Pirellis on 17" rims or have you gone for a bigger wheel package?
Cheers T Rex

sparky
27-02-2008, 08:55 PM
T Rex ..The car just turned up with the Pirellis!, but has Silver,Roof,600W Harp,Twin Air,Air Susp/lights,Rack,Rear Hatch close,Fogs...fully loaded.........Rgds Sparkie

T Rex
28-02-2008, 05:59 AM
Thanks Sparky
I ordered a separate spare wheel for carrying in the vehicle for long trips - I'll wait to see which tyres are on my car. Should be just about out of the factory as I type. Cheers T Rex