PDA

View Full Version : Q's about the 80, A's about 100/Fox!

Chris S
06-01-2008, 06:30 PM
I'm a new member of VWW, I've just bought an '93 Audi 80 for my wife.

Before I ask the questions I'm dying to ask (because the car is running like crap) can I just say that like some of those posting in Nick_80's old Audi thread, my first car, too, was an Audi Fox. Dark metallic green, I loved that car! Since then I had a few Passats, did an engine change on my second Audi, an '81 100 manual, in addition to other adventures! So if you're stuck with a problem on one of these I might be able to offer some thoughts at least.

But my problems... the 80 is the 2.3 5 cyl model. It's running progressively worse, lacking power, backfiring, starting to sound like a Beetle when I accelerate! I thought-

Is it the coil pack/ignition pack? (the thing the centre coil lead goes to)
Is it the water temp sender not relaying proper info to the computer? Water level is fine but the temp gauge always registers <70...? (I only thought this because of another post I read about the water temp sender.)

Anyway I think I need to find an Audi guru in the Mornington area of Vic! If anyone knows someone...

Chris.

99gti
06-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Go and see James THE MAN @ Audvolks. He'll have it sorted quicker than u can blink! I'm not even going to attempt to offer any mechanical advice - I can't even get the toothpaste onto the right tooth brush each morning!

Jmac
06-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Could be a number of things on that. You have to start from scratch. If you have just bought it do you know service history, has it had plugs, leads, cap ( 3 common players) and fuel filter(blockage) timing belt etc. The cool running if the gauge is telling the truth wont be helping - have a feel of the radiator hoses and see if the gauge is lying - thermostat could be either stuck open or not fitted. (had a hot running issue).

Nick_80
06-01-2008, 10:36 PM
do you have pics of ur previous green fox, post it if you do and good luck with the later purchase, sorry i couldn't be of any help, maybe go back 'old' school there are less parts causing less problems :)