PDA

View Full Version : Electronic brake controller

FLOSPOLOGTI
06-01-2008, 04:14 PM
Yep, having a few issues with installing a Tekonsha Prodigy controller !!!

Seen some info on the net suggesting not using the vehicle control module wires and wiring it up as you would a Lancruiser, commodore (read as anything which doesnt have the brake control module). I have a........ new GL320 cdi Mercedes, but I am posting here because it seems the Treg and Merc have the same issue with the 'Prodigy' unit from Tekonsha when trying to install into the factory 'tow loom'. Have posted on Merc sites also to find out where you guys are getting the work done (I live in Canberra), or how you are installing the controllers without getting a 'sh' message on the Tekonsha, trailer brake lights remaining on all the time/other unintended outcomes/faults !??

Frustrating after having installed three units before very easily on 100 series Cruisers

Interestingly the vehicle tells you any globe failures on the trailer when wired up too; ie left/right indicators, clearance or brake /tail lights......smart ass car.............

Any help appreciated

Moonan
07-01-2008, 02:58 AM
Hi,
First, go to clubtouareg.com and find all of the answers for installing tekonsha controllers, including the prodigy. I don't recall the details as I have never done it, but many of the seppos have, as well as a couple of OZ posters. The short answer is to connect the brake sensor to your brake pedal switch rather than the controller signal.
If it is any help, the following is a direct technical instruction on installing the prodigy in a Touareg/Cayenne:
http://tm-techmark.com/touareg/PDFfiles/Tip%202%20Volkswagen%20Touareg%20Porsche%20Cayenne .pdf

Second, Touaregs also indicate state of all lights etc on trailer, as well as disabling rear parking sensors and reminding you that you have a trailer attached when it sees completed circuits on trailer plug. Also a smartarse car but very nice with it!
So, get with the strength, go out and trade up from the MB to a Touareg!!!!!! :)

FLOSPOLOGTI
07-01-2008, 06:32 AM
Hi Neil,

thanks for the quick reply. re the vehicle sensing trailer lights/disabling parking sensors etc, it seems most Euro 4wds (Treg, Merc, Audi, Porsche) have a very similar 'brake control module' that was intended to be used also as a connection source with trailer 'electronic brake controllers', but the electronic brake controllers dont actually interface with the vehicle electronics !!.....handy.....! Especially when (as we did) only looked at these vehicles to tow over 2 tonne - which requires brakes on ALL axles of the trailer in NSW. Its not the vehicle manufacturers issue........it seems the 'Prodigy' doesnt work with the vehicle electronics 'test' circuits if wired into the brake control module loom.

Yes we thought hard about a V10 Treg, but unfortunately couldnt find one second hand with reasonable kms, or new without rattles and of all things leaking sunroof.......concerning with a new car.........We drove a new car that had water on the centre console, we thought the detailer must of had wet hands after he just washed it..........until we saw the roof lining drip with water ! The sunroof was fully closed. The headlining had a large water stain forming near the overhead lights !
Drove the V6 tdi..........ok .............not as impressive as an Audi Q7 (despite extermely similar power/torque figures on paper). The V6 Treg we drove had been re-flashed too.

Drove the new 200 Cruiser.......could not justify the cost, should be 10k less for Sahara....does not compare to Euro's features at all, poor value for money, probably excellent re-sale though.

In the end the Merc did what we wanted extremely well for what we felt the best price/value for money (helped when we got $25k of options for nothing !). Dont worry Neil, we still love our Polo Gti.......best small car (again for our needs) that we could find !

Finally I am hoping someone in Canberra can suggest where to get a brake controller installed.............a place who have done it rather that who will say "i'll give it a go mate !"
ie..............pops bonnet.............."where is the battery on this thing...........?" Ill take it somewhere else thanks !

bobzed57
07-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Hi FLOSPOLOGTI

Mate I have a Tekonsha Voyager in my R5 and it has never missed a beat. I had it installed by Tuggeranong Auto Electrics at the back of the Woolies servo. These guys had never seen a treg before and had all up and running in a day.

Give them a call.

Cheers

Bob Z