View Full Version : for all you diesel nuts

GoLfMan
15-06-2006, 06:53 PM
VW Diesel racing Golf
http://www.streetracersonline.com/articles/golfvrcr/
enjoy j:

brackie
15-06-2006, 08:09 PM
OK The article said that the exhaust system and the chip made all of these difference:
GOLF TDI Mk V Racing Version Specifications

Engine capacity (litres / cc): 2.0 / 1968
Configuratiom 4 cyl, 16v
Engine management: Volkswagen with Superchips mapping

Power output (PS @ rpm): 210 @ 4,000 (standard model 140)
Max torque (lbs ft @ rpm): 330 @ 1,750 (standard model 236)
Engine capacity (litres / cc): 2.0 / 1968
Configuration 4 cyl, 16v
Engine management: Volkswagen with Superchips mapping

--------------------------------------------------------------
I'm amazed! That's a 50% increase in power and an almost equivalent increase in torque. If such minor changes can make such a huge difference in performance why don't we all do it?

Andrew...Expect to see me real soon!

GoLfMan
16-06-2006, 09:48 AM
yeh that car has an absolute mountain of torque!!! makes a V8 look positively weak at the knees. imagine that engine in a Mk1 ;)

gtimk5
16-06-2006, 12:28 PM
They shed some weight out of it too. Be an awesome car.

Seano
16-06-2006, 04:01 PM
Errr....lads. This car is now over 2 years old. And things have moved on.....check out www.vw-cup.co.uk

The MkV TDi Golf had it's first UK win late last month. Represents the first TDi win since 2002.

brackie
16-06-2006, 04:41 PM
25 paragraphs...The diesel's the winner...It gets 2 paragraphs and the petrols get 23. I guess we're used to being the poor reations :(

GoLfMan
17-06-2006, 09:04 AM
now now boss... some mention is better than none. the fact that it beat a R32 says enough for a whole article ;)

Roscoe
27-06-2006, 09:41 PM
I have driven "chipped" diesels in England and they are impressive. I have had thoughts of putting a Mk4 TDi engine into my Mk2 GTI for Improved Production racing. I work as an engineer for an engine management system manufacturer so getting it to work would not be a problem for me but finding the money to do it properly is a different story! Imagine how upset the rotary and V8 boys would be if they got beaten by a front wheel drive oil burner! I have done some racing in Germany and seen how well some of the Golf and Bora diesels go on the track, it would be so cool to have one here!

brackie
28-06-2006, 05:07 AM
I have driven "chipped" diesels in England and they are impressive. I have had thoughts of putting a Mk4 TDi engine into my Mk2 GTI for Improved Production racing. I work as an engineer for an engine management system manufacturer so getting it to work would not be a problem for me but finding the money to do it properly is a different story! Imagine how upset the rotary and V8 boys would be if they got beaten by a front wheel drive oil burner! I have done some racing in Germany and seen how well some of the Golf and Bora diesels go on the track, it would be so cool to have one here!
I reckon you should talk to Golf Loon about bringing you a TDI and 6 speed in his next container! Having just experienced a lengthy drive over a mountain pass in a very tight Mk5 16v TDI I can vouch for the performance of this motor. It's simply awsome. Chipped it would be unbelievable! VW have got the gear ratios just right to enable full use of the very wide torque band.