PDA

View Full Version : VW Amarok OBD2 monitoring & missing PIDs

VWAmarok
18-10-2016, 05:21 AM
I have scanned my 2013 VW Amarok OBD2 via a scantool BTdevice and using Torque Pro on a spare Android phone. The list of Parameter IDs(PIDs) does not show Engine Oil Pressure. It seems that VW have reserved thisfunction for their service diagnostic people and do not wish for theircustomers to get access to something which is not even provided in the dashinstrument panel. Does anyone know how to get access to the Engine Oil PressurePID for use with Torque Pro ?

Transporter
18-10-2016, 06:34 AM
I have scanned my 2013 VW Amarok OBD2 via a scantool BTdevice and using Torque Pro on a spare Android phone. The list of Parameter IDs(PIDs) does not show Engine Oil Pressure. It seems that VW have reserved thisfunction for their service diagnostic people and do not wish for theircustomers to get access to something which is not even provided in the dashinstrument panel. Does anyone know how to get access to the Engine Oil PressurePID for use with Torque Pro ?

IMO, the VW shares more than many other car manufacturers and you've most likely hit the limitation of the $5 scan tool and $2 app.

Umai Naa!!
18-10-2016, 08:53 AM
IMO, the VW shares more than many other car manufacturers and you've most likely hit the limitation of the $5 scan tool and $2 app.

The most likely scenario.

There's different diagnostic protocols (computer-speak) for some vehicles.

jamesatfish
18-10-2016, 02:45 PM
Engine Oil Pressure isn't a SAE J/1939 standard PID, so this isn't necessarily the fault of your app or OBD2 adapter - it's a piece of engine data that the OBD2 standard protocols don't provide.

It's possible that VW provide this value via OBD2 on an extended PID that isn't publicly documented, but I'd suggest that's not highly likely. VW has declined to provide a number of standard PIDs including Oil Temperature and they don't use OBD2 for their in-house diagnostics so I can't see why they'd implement non-standard PIDs via OBD2 (and our testing over the last 18 months hasn't revealed anything to the contrary).

CAN-based scan tools (like VCDS) obtain this measure by directly querying the relevant controller behind the CAN Gateway and accessing the data from the measuring blocks on those controllers. That's not something you can do with Torque and any OBD2 adapter - you'll need to step up to dedicated VW-compatible hardware and software.

If you're technically minded and up for some hardware tinkering I can point you in the right direction to build what you need to grab that value from the CAN bus directly - I haven't tested an Amarok but on the Mk5 platform at least it's in CAN packet 0x555 on the Powertrain bus.

VWAmarok
18-10-2016, 07:26 PM
Engine Oil Pressure isn't a SAE J/1939 standard PID, so this isn't necessarily the fault of your app or OBD2 adapter - it's a piece of engine data that the OBD2 standard protocols don't provide.

It's possible that VW provide this value via OBD2 on an extended PID that isn't publicly documented, but I'd suggest that's not highly likely. VW has declined to provide a number of standard PIDs including Oil Temperature and they don't use OBD2 for their in-house diagnostics so I can't see why they'd implement non-standard PIDs via OBD2 (and our testing over the last 18 months hasn't revealed anything to the contrary).

CAN-based scan tools (like VCDS) obtain this measure by directly querying the relevant controller behind the CAN Gateway and accessing the data from the measuring blocks on those controllers. That's not something you can do with Torque and any OBD2 adapter - you'll need to step up to dedicated VW-compatible hardware and software.

If you're technically minded and up for some hardware tinkering I can point you in the right direction to build what you need to grab that value from the CAN bus directly - I haven't tested an Amarok but on the Mk5 platform at least it's in CAN packet 0x555 on the Powertrain bus.

Hi Jamesatfish

Thank you for your reply. What you state makes sense. When my OBD2 scan tool and Torque Pro failed to detect the engine oil pressure PID, I began to suspect that VW deliberately hid this from amateur owners. All I really wanted was for normal on-road monitoring of my engine coolant temp (which is present and visible) and engine oil pressure. I am somewhat technically minded, so I would welcome assistance from you.
Thanks and regards
Thomas

VWAmarok
18-10-2016, 07:28 PM
Hi Transporter
Thank you for your reply. Are you speaking from experience ? If so, what scan tool and App would you suggest to make the VW PIDs visible ?
Regards
Thomas