PDA

View Full Version : Passat CC (2009) - Can't change dipped beam HID (D1S) globe

DeepBlue
13-10-2016, 08:09 PM
Hoping someone can help. Have scoured the internet and searched this forum to the best of my ability with no real success - can't seem to find anything specific enough that helps me out of my bind.

Okay, vehicle is a 2009 Passat CC 4 door "coupe" (4 cyl 2.0L diesel 125kW TDI motor). Amber warning light came up on dash and MDI described problem with dipped beam globe. Purchased new globe - Narva (Part No. 49304) 12/24V D1S 35W HID globe (cost as much as a chandelier!). The igniter is directly attached to (integral with) the globe, as is the original D1S OEM globe which I'm trying to remove.

So, turned ignition off, turned light switch off, disconnected battery negative terminal, donned gloves and safety glasses just in case and went to complete a simple task - or so I thought!:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: Removed screw cap protector on driver's side dipped beam housing and noticed igniter/globe held in by a double wire clip - able to release this easily! Then tried to remove the connector plug from base of igniter - impossible to budge this bugger and hard to get a grip on it! So, tried just pulling igniter/globe out - no success - there was some tension holding it in. So, twisted igniter/globe 1/4 turn anti-clockwise (away from driver's side fender) and then tried to ease it out - still no luck!:mad: Obviously don't want to use brute force, but something appears to be pulling/holding the igniter/globe in. Is it the connector plug - thought I could remove that once the ignite/globe was pulled or eased out of the housing - or something else?

Can anyone offer help here - some little trick I'm missing? Need to get the dammed thing out before I can put the new one in!

Thanking you in anticipation...

Tobes_WIR35
13-10-2016, 08:56 PM
No easy way to do it that I'm aware of. But from memory they are a twist lock base.

Vexed
14-10-2016, 02:12 PM
I had the same exact problem on my CC, it was bloody hard for me to remove them, but my mechanic did that in 5 minutes.
Anyway, here is what repair manual says:

I believe you'd get more help if you post this in the CC section of the forums.

Good luck :)

Vexed
14-10-2016, 04:49 PM
Btw, where did you buy the bulb from? I hope it is not from eBay or Amazon...

DeepBlue
14-10-2016, 05:58 PM
Bought the bulb from Bursons - they had one in stock! Tried Autobarn first but they couldn't help. Have since found on-line for a better price, but prefer to buy from a shop when there is some doubt so that I can return easily if it's not right.

DeepBlue
14-10-2016, 06:00 PM
Fantastic feedback and a thousand thank-you's! Will give this a go. People like yourself are what really make forums like this work!

Vexed
14-10-2016, 07:38 PM
Bought the bulb from Bursons - they had one in stock! Tried Autobarn first but they couldn't help. Have since found on-line for a better price, but prefer to buy from a shop when there is some doubt so that I can return easily if it's not right.

Never buy HID bulbs from eBay or Amazon, 90% of the bulbs are fake, and very hard to spot the difference.

DeepBlue
15-10-2016, 01:56 PM
Good advice re eBay and Amazon! Was one of the early adopters as far as eBay goes many years ago; one day however, quite some time ago now, my wife decided to purchase a pair of Chanel shoes on eBay - paid around $600!!!!!!!!! When they were delivered to our door I could smell the PVC without the box even being opened - terrible fakes, worth maybe $10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lesson learnt!

DeepBlue
15-10-2016, 02:04 PM
Good advice re eBay and Amazon! Was one of the early adopters as far as eBay goes many years ago; one day however, quitesome time ago now, my wife decided to purchase a pair of Chanel shoes on eBay - paid around $600!!!!!!!!! When they were delivered to our door I could smell the PVC without the box even being opened - terrible fakes, worth maybe $10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lesson learnt!

DeepBlue
15-10-2016, 02:08 PM
Can you tell me where I might be able to get hold of a repair manual for the Passat CC?

Vexed
15-10-2016, 03:49 PM
PM me your email address please.

dvkent
17-10-2016, 06:52 PM
PM me your email address please.
Vexed, just curious...from the last comment I assume you have access to a CC workshop manual. Is this the case? I would give my left nut for a copy!

I had the same exact problem on my CC, it was bloody hard for me to remove them, but my mechanic did that in 5 minutes.
Anyway, here is what repair manual says:

I believe you'd get more help if you post this in the CC section of the forums.

Good luck :)

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Vexed
17-10-2016, 08:11 PM
Sure, PM me your email and I will share it with you.

DeepBlue
25-10-2016, 04:19 PM
Still trying to get this bugger out after following the manual - must be some little trick I'm missing? Coming some of the way out but something holding it in (can't manage to get the bottom connector off) - don't want to yank on it!

DeepBlue
17-11-2016, 01:33 PM
Has anyone changed this successfully? Should be easy? Checked YouTube - different vehicles: nothing quite the same as 2009 Passat CC. Went on and did other jobs - new front discs and pads, oil and filter change - but now back to this bugger! Tantalisingly close but just can't seem to release it? Don't want to force it for obvious reasons. Wonder if apart from front wire clips and plug at bottom if there is any other restraint? Maybe plug has to be removed first before pulling globe out? Dumbfounded how such a small thing can be so infuriating?! Couldn't even find another vehicle on YouTube with the identical headlight/globe set-up!

rjt86
26-11-2016, 06:52 AM
There is a small wire restraint and needs to be pushed to the side and then lifted out of the way, the globe should then be free.

I'll get a pic for you soon I have some cc lights off the car which will make it easier to see

rjt86
26-11-2016, 07:46 AM
This is the passenger side assembly.

Don't have any d1s globes lying around to show you with a globe in there unfortunately. Release the 2 shown sping clips by pushing back on them and either to the left or right to release them.

The globe connector just pulls off, use a small flat head screwdriver and I think from what I remember the globe it self needs to be twisted to release from the housing.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/11/af062b60e9b39c4765c85c54fd0ee0a7-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/11/3bf6fd9367a410bde64679a01ad218b5-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/11/88b69a5c0c0d8ff79ecf1d90d009dfc4-1.jpg

DeepBlue
26-11-2016, 04:29 PM
Fantastic rjt86!!!:banana:

This is exactly the set-up I was talking about - couldn't find any YouTube videos or photo posts showing what you have shown here! Most times it's a video showing someone changing halogen globes - straightforward! But with the 2009 Passat CC and the HID Xenon globes (with integral igniter) I've seen nothing exactly like this set-up until now.

Someone said I would probably need to take the grille off, then the bumper off, and then remove the headlight so I could access the D1S globe (igniter is integral with the globe of course and is held in place by the two metal wire clips as shown)!!! Now, I don't like the sound of all that just to change a globe and of course I don't have any Torx tools - my dad does, but he's miles away and on holiday at the moment.

Question is, can I change the globe over in-situ (I thought the VW mechanics were able to do this fairly quickly)? Or, do I have to remove the headlight assembly completely? Because of the limited access (it's on the driver's side) I can release the metal wire clips that hold the back of the igniter but I just can't seem to remove the connector plug from the base of the igniter, it's because of this that I can't fully extract the integrated igniter and globe from the housing! Because the connector plug is on a shortish braided wire connection it stops the igniter/globe from being pulled out; obviously the connector needs to be removed first?

Any thoughts?

If I do have to remove the headlight assembly I would have thought they could be removed fairly easily (haven't found any guide around) rather than having to remove the grille and bumper first!

Cheers.

DeepBlue
26-11-2016, 05:28 PM
Was thinking (due to limited access) that the only way would be to remove the headlight assembly. Is there an easy way of doing this without removing half of the front-end? Did you remove the headlights to change the D1S globes? You would think headlight assemblies could be removed easily and quickly - remove wiring harness connection, maybe a couple of screws and/or a few press tabs?

Vexed
28-11-2016, 10:51 AM
Was thinking (due to limited access) that the only way would be to remove the headlight assembly. Is there an easy way of doing this without removing half of the front-end? Did you remove the headlights to change the D1S globes? You would think headlight assemblies could be removed easily and quickly - remove wiring harness connection, maybe a couple of screws and/or a few press tabs?

I'm 100% sure you don't need to remove anything from the front-end. My mechanic did it while I was watching in a couple of minutes. He just went from the back of the headlight, removed the bulb and placed in the new one in.

DeepBlue
28-11-2016, 11:03 AM
That's what I thought! I also recall seeing a mechanic change it without removing the headlight assembly. There has to be a way! Small dextrous hands maybe? Special tool??? Special technique? I'm almost there, so, so close, just can't get that bloody connector off the bottom! I'll try a watchmaker's screwdriver to try and lever off the connector. Hardly any room in there though - modern cars just not made for DIY maintenance!

Does anyone know if there is a knack to doing this or a little "trick" I'm not aware of?

Vexed
28-11-2016, 11:05 AM
His hands were definitely smaller than mine, I have tried so many times without success... He charged me $30 for replacing the bulb :D

DeepBlue
28-11-2016, 01:24 PM
Might have to end up taking the globe to a mechanic and asking him/her to change it for me (really just need to get old one out, putting the new one in should be a cinch). Prefer to do myself seeing I'm so close! Expect the mechanic will do it behind a curtain - don't want the ordinary folk learning their secrets!:D

DeepBlue
27-12-2016, 04:40 PM
Infuriating! Still no good... Doing a transmission service and will come back to this later. Can't believe how this is so tricky!

DeepBlue
04-02-2017, 01:14 PM
Done! Went to KMart Tyre & Auto for a wheel alignment. D1S HID globe was in its box in the glovebox so I just happened to ask the workshop manager if he could have a go. He did it in 5 minutes - no charge! His hands were definitely small and he said he wiggled off the connector at the bottom, then undid the restraining clip and removed the globe!

So obviously, no need to remove grille and bumper to pull out headlight assembly. Auto electrician had told me he would have to remove the bumper and grille and it would cost $100!

Thanks KMart Tyre & Auto!

Vexed
04-02-2017, 10:43 PM
Well done :)

DeepBlue
12-10-2017, 09:51 PM
Changed passenger side D1S globe yesterday - "simples"! Car in driveway for several hours + light switch in Off position and obviously ignition off and keys safely put out of harm's way; didn't disconnect battery as I didn't want the airbag warning light to come on! Anyway, safety glasses and latex gloves for safety's sake. Unscrewed large black plastic cap; used small flat blade screwdriver to just gently lever the plug off underneath the igniter part of the globe - did this by feel and felt the plug just slip off as I levered lightly around one end of the plug; then undid the wire clips at each side (just push in and towards the middle); then turned the igniter base to the fender side 1/8 of a turn and gently pulled it out! Easy! Then put new globe gently in; secured both wire clips and re-attached the plug at the bottom. All good - no noticeable difference in light intensity even though installed c.8 months apart. Purchased Narva globes (Part No. 49304) from Bursons and Ashdown Ingram respectively - the Narva packaged globes are Osram; main thing is to use the same Kelvin rating globe (35W of course) if you can.

DeepBlue
18-08-2018, 05:03 PM
Have changed most globes now on Passat CC - just hoping another D1S globe blows so I can change it - a piece of cake when you have "the knack"!:banana: