PDA

View Full Version : Istrument Cluster / Dash etc

86gti
15-06-2006, 05:42 PM
heya...had a blown globe in my inst cluster so i just decided to fix it.
Read a while ago on vortex about how to fix my odometer aswell (sometimes sticks) so i thourght i mite fix that aswell...APPARENTLY.....the cluster is supposed to be easy to get out.. Um, it has to be one of the hardest ive ever seen. looks simple but i cant get the damn cluster out of the dash!!
Anyway, fixed the globe (2 globes found along the very top edge of the cluster and easy to get to once you drop it down a little bit)..but any ideas on how to actually get the cluster out, i dont want to be too rough with it.
ive already broken 2 clips off the heater surround .
..im going to put it all back together but does anyone know howto get the cluster out??
was also going to check the MFA plumbing because there seems to be an airleak somewhere, but i cant find it in any of the plumbing elsewhere.........
here is the wonderful view People can be greeted with once the face pannel comes off .
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i123/mk2kid/PICT0572.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i123/mk2kid/PICT0573.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i123/mk2kid/PICT0574.jpg

well, atleast i fixed my globe, and i can see how fast im going in the dark now. hehe.

brackie
15-06-2006, 08:29 PM
Never had a Mk2, Benny, but from my experience with Pugs it gets a lot easier if you remove the steering wheel. ;)

gtimk5
15-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Hi! I have that cluster out a couple of times in the past. From memory, isn't there 2 screw on the bottom edge facing rearwards? If so, undo em and pivot the bottom edge out and up. I will check the manual tommorow. Tis a lot easier than doing a heater core. Also easier than an a/c model.

86gti
15-06-2006, 09:12 PM
yea, got it out (lots of force and lots more jonnie walker n colas)
the problem was getting it past the actual suround lips/ dash. no probs clearing the wheel. i'm in the middle of running backwards and forwards to and from the garage to warm up and then continue. nearly all back together now.
only think i broke was the heater facia/surround clips..ooops. bit of glue and doube sided tape fixes that. and by accident managed to get my rear fog lights going..the plug for that and the demisters are the same socket...they were in the wrong switches....but however for some reason i have 2 demister switches..and neither work...but its not a good idea to have them hooked up with tinted rear window anyway..

onto the next job of getting rid of the squeaks that appear from doing a 100klm round trip everyday :-(

Golf Loon
15-06-2006, 11:38 PM
Did you get the instruments out?
Undo two screws on the top and tip it forward.

syncro
16-06-2006, 07:48 AM
Did you disconnect the speedo cable?

I removed the cluster from my '86 a few times and don't remember any problems.

86gti
18-06-2006, 01:27 AM
Did you disconnect the speedo cable?

I removed the cluster from my '86 a few times and don't remember any problems.
lol, yea i did discon speedo cable.. i ended up getting it out.
but i thourght i fixed the contact patch where the dash lights screw in, put it all back together n it doesnt work again, i have to tap the clocks to make it work, oh well, back out again tomorow :D ...
so i got it out....ive had milloions of clusters out but this has to be one of the worst. j: i'm getting good at it now though.