PDA

View Full Version : Skoda Yeti Ambition 90TSI - reliable or not?

rabbitz
30-09-2016, 05:04 PM
How have others found the reliability of the Skoda Yeti Ambition 90TSI?

The MY14 Skoda Yeti Ambition is ideal for my needs and I really love it. However there has been a few issues and I have not had a warranty claim on any new car (Japanese, British, German built) since the late 1980's except for the VW Polo I had prior to the Yeti. The Yeti is not even 2 years old and has less than 10k mileage. Since this is based on the Golf Mk V platform with recent tech updates, I would have thought it would be a well sorted stable design.

There's been nothing major but not what I would have expected from a new car these days (I understand other brands have issues as well).

* DSG hiccups at times with holding onto gear at a constant rev and not changing up for a few seconds - dealer check and no error logged (no fix)
* Instrument panel creaks - dealer attempted fix but still creaked - self repair with 2mm felt placed at offending areas
* Full throttle failure on several occasions where engine would not spool up for a few seconds - dealer check and no error logged (no fix)
* Whirr noise LH front when on RH curves - dealer replaced wheel bearing - self organised tyre rotation and and 4 wheel alignment (better but still present)
* RH front headrest creeps up to unsafe height - dealer no fix - self repair velcro tie headrest to seat
* Doors occasionally failed to unlock via KESSY - dealer advised CAN BUS can go to sleep if not used for a while - self fix change battery in remote
* Dash lights disappearing in daylight (not the dark tunnel effect) - corrected itself
* Whistle noise in engine bay TPI2041310/4 - dealer changed water pump and seal
* Ticking noise heard through vent on dash when car stopped after normal use. Sounds like a tappet noise or a vacuum pulse or non return valve ball banging on the seat. Doesn't do it cold and when happens, disappears after engine shutdown and restart. Just started so will leave for the next service next month.

As I said nothing major but still concerning as I wanted to keep the Yeti for 6 years. The service dealer have been very good and have listened to my concerns. Some they fixed, others not but I'm not complaining as they have made the effort.

SkodaYeti
06-10-2016, 10:48 AM
Hey Rabbitz,
I have a MY15 Yeti Edition with the same 90tsi engine. One time engine was stalling a lot - figured out it was due to filling up with 95ron shell fuel - once fuel cleared it was back to normal - only fill with 98ron BP now. Only other issue ive had am still having is the DSG sometimes whines going through gears 1,2 & 3 (usually after 20 mins + driving time in stop start traffic) - have read this pretty common and no real confirmed solution. I've got a 5 year warranty so not stressing too much about it. Other than that - im loving the Yeti - easy best and favourite car ive ever owned

rabbitz
06-10-2016, 11:29 AM
I had a problem with Shell 95 in a WQ Fiesta years ago and swapping over to BP 95 fixed it. I use BP 95 in the Yeti and all good. The DSG is a bit dimwitted at times on inclines so I just use manual mode on those occasions. Yep, it's a great car.

I only asked the original question as it's a pain to return it to the dealer for repairs, get a ride home and back plus it can be off the road for weeks waiting on parts. The water pump was supposed to take 3 weeks to arrive from Skoda EU but I think someone just wandered over to the local VW dealer who stocks heaps of parts, so it was done in 2 days.

danntsi77
18-11-2016, 11:03 PM
hi. i have a 90tsi yeti 2014.
i have had an issue with the front left cv boot splitting. standard cv joint clicking / knocking with some lock plus seems to be affect bearings as well, at 100kmh you can hear a very low frequency rumble noise. been fixed oncw but came back after 20000km, am happy with the car just a few niggles with it. i have the bi-xenon headlights and they are amazing. plus 12 speaker sound. leather seats are awesome as well.

rabbitz
21-11-2016, 11:53 AM
Looks like the Yeti TSI Ambition has been discontinued.

Mysticality
21-11-2016, 12:15 PM
Looks like the Yeti TSI Ambition has been discontinued.

Thats correct.
Skoda is now only offering two specifications of the Yeti (the Ambition 92TSI used to be the third, middle spec) - those being the 81TSI and the 110TSI 4X4 Outdoor.

SkodaYeti
11-01-2017, 09:18 AM
90TSI Yeti booked in today to have updated Clutch Packs replaced to alleviate whining noise during up gear changes. Solitaire Automotive in Adelaide agreed with my diagnosis straight of the bat - all done under warranty, no questions asked - great service!

rabbitz
14-01-2017, 08:50 AM
At what kilometres were the clutch packs changed?

SkodaYeti
16-01-2017, 09:31 AM
Hey Rabbitz - still waiting for them to come in but will have done less than 20,000kms

rabbitz
16-01-2017, 10:40 AM
That's not a great life for a clutch pack.

SkodaYeti
17-01-2017, 09:27 AM
You're not wrong! Is a fairly common fault so they now have an updated pack to replace it which hopefully lasts a bit longer...

danntsi77
26-02-2017, 11:03 PM
Ive got 90tsi engine. had bad fuel from coles/shell around christmas, engine barely made boost. now only use 98ron from caltex or BP. Im getting clutch packs making noise after driving around town for a bit. it happens mostly as its taking upto biting point on the clutches. i find a good standing 1st to 2nd gear launch in manual mode fixes it for some time. LH front CV boot has been in twice for warranty stuff. first time they repacked it with grease. that lasted 10,000 km. then a month ago it went in for the second time and they "replaced" the CV boot and joint, it still makes a faint ticking noise when turning corners first thing when driven then isnt herd again till next day. I love the car, however these issues are friggin annoying. got warranty till september this year.
Good news, there was a software update on the DSG gearboxes. the mapping has been updated, most notable in sport mode. DSG "parp" upshifts on light throttle occur around 2600rpm now, it also doesnt hold gears too long either, and has nice throttle blip calibration on downshifts. 7th gear is also selected at highway speeds now.
Drive mode is a little smarter, using torque from engine on occasions where a downshift isnt nessarcary. Quick half throttle accelerations it tends to change up a little earlier too using the torque between 2000-4000rpm. :)