PDA

View Full Version : MY17 Tiguan as a family car?

Brazen
25-09-2016, 07:36 PM
Hi,

I'm considering a base Tiguan Trendline as a family car, it will need to be able to transport a family of 4, including a 2 year and a 4 year old in car seats.

Just wondering what does everyone think of this, I know its probably too early for any MY17 owners on this board yet, so anyone with an older Tiguan that uses it a family car?

Im coming from a current generation Camry Hybrid that is the size of a cargo ship in comparison, but realise cars like the Tiguan have very good space utilisation with its upright body. The main reason for the Tiguan is to get something with a bigger and more practical boot... plus I love the new Tiguan!

Fridgie877
25-09-2016, 07:43 PM
The new tiguan has been classed as a mid size suv, the old one was a small suv. You wont have any issues with a family car. I am buying a higline r line pack and i have a 7 month old and a 5 yr old so 2 car seats.

Brazen
25-09-2016, 07:53 PM
The new tiguan has been classed as a mid size suv, the old one was a small suv. You wont have any issues with a family car. I am buying a higline r line pack and i have a 7 month old and a 5 yr old so 2 car seats.

Great feedback thanks, that will be a beauty. If only you could option things like LED headlights and proximity key on the other variants - but I suppose they need to encourage people to walk up the range.

Fridgie877
25-09-2016, 07:58 PM
Great feedback thanks, that will be a beauty. If only you could option things like LED headlights and proximity key on the other variants - but I suppose they need to encourage people to walk up the range.

I couldn't even tell you what the higline has over the other two lol. The R-line is the only tiguan or vw for that matter, that interests me.

Brazen
25-09-2016, 08:05 PM
I couldn't even tell you what the higline has over the other two lol. The R-line is the only tiguan or vw for that matter, that interests me.

Ha. Yeah I can see what you mean - the Tiguan looks like it was designed to be Highline R-Line.

Brazen
26-09-2016, 10:28 AM
Looking more and more at the specs, really don't want to upgrade to a car without rear seat vents and proximity key. Thinking that a 110 Comfortline with Luxury pack is the ideal for us.

What prices are people getting for these? Looking through I can only see Highline prices. With Corp discount would 42 on road be doable?

kewy
27-09-2016, 11:24 AM
Hi everyone,

How does the new Tiguan compare in size to the latest BMW X1?

Looking to transport 2 young kids too.

Thanks

Nealo
27-09-2016, 02:40 PM
I'm blown away by the space in both the X1 and the Tiguan.

I'm in a different situation in that my kids are older, 14 and 16 so am after rear seat space and not so much cargo space. I do love the extra boot space under the floor in the X1 because they use run flats.

I'm really struggling to make a decision. My head says BMW (having owned one before) and my heart says R-Line Tiguan. Also my head keeps telling me don't pay BMW/Audi/Merc money for a VW.

kewy
27-09-2016, 02:54 PM
Exactly right, X1 with simliar features can be had for less than an R-line Tig at the moment.

But I'd like to know if they are comparable in internal size or does the Tig have more space than the X1?

Gladbach
27-09-2016, 03:31 PM
I would have thought that the new Tiguan would be more comparable to the X3 for size/space? The X1's interior seems quite small.

brad
27-09-2016, 03:43 PM
I wpuld look at a Skoda Octavia Wagon before laying down a deposit

JustCruisn
27-09-2016, 03:50 PM
I did not get the original Tiguan as the boot was too small, went for the Jetta. How much bigger is the new one ?

Gladbach
27-09-2016, 04:09 PM
It's a lot bigger, it's now near class leading. I have a Jetta as well, the boot in the Jetta is massive, but the new Tiguan boot is more practical (flat load in).

Brazen
27-09-2016, 08:16 PM
I did not get the original Tiguan as the boot was too small, went for the Jetta. How much bigger is the new one ?

Its a decent size, its also a very flexible space with the floor being able to lower a couple of inches and the rear seats slide back and forward (such a clever feature) so you can expand boot space a bit.

tigger73
27-09-2016, 11:07 PM
I have 3 kids (7, 10, 12) and that works Ok with a gen1 Tig. Though you do have to be good at packing if you need to take a bit of gear.

The gen2 Tig is a decent improvement in terms of rear seat room and boot space. You do have to be selective which options/upgrades you deem as "essential" as you can quickly add $10k to the price.

The gen2 Tig has a slightly bigger boot than the X3 (615 vs 550 litres) and more load space with seats folded also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kewy
28-09-2016, 08:37 AM
I have 3 kids (7, 10, 12) and that works Ok with a gen1 Tig. Though you do have to be good at packing if you need to take a bit of gear.

The gen2 Tig is a decent improvement in terms of rear seat room and boot space. You do have to be selective which options/upgrades you deem as "essential" as you can quickly add $10k to the price.

The gen2 Tig has a slightly bigger boot than the X3 (615 vs 550 litres) and more load space with seats folded also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good insight there thanks!

So can we say the new Tig has more rear space and boot space compared to a current gen X1?

equiped
28-09-2016, 09:00 AM
Definitely. New Gen Tig has 520L of boot space but can be increased to 615L by sliding back seats forward. Though leg room will suffer if seats are slid forward.

Nealo
28-09-2016, 10:47 AM
Definitely. New Gen Tig has 520L of boot space but can be increased to 615L by sliding back seats forward. Though leg room will suffer if seats are slid forward.

I'm not convinced. 505 (X1) vs 520 (Tig) would come down to the shape.

Seats slide forward in the X1 as well.

X1 would have another 80-100 where the spare normally goes because it has run flats.

Nealo
28-09-2016, 10:53 AM
Actually it's 200 litres of extra space making 705 in total.

Review: 2016 BMW X1 is most controversial remake in brand's history - The Globe and Mail (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/reviews/new-cars/review-2016-bmw-x1-is-most-controversial-remake-in-brands-history/article26796512/)

VWVY
29-09-2016, 11:49 AM
Are we comparing the new Tiguan against X1 because of their price point?

Because if we are talking about size, the X1 is a small size SUV, and the new Tiguan is a mid size SUV which should be compared against the X3? One look at X1 and new tiguan would tell you the size difference already.

Any boot space increase in X1 would have been at the expense of passenger space, or having to use run flats - which is not an advantage over a spare at all imho.

Nealo
29-09-2016, 12:31 PM

When the Tiguan first got released all the overseas comparisons were with the X1 and it was doing my head in. It should have been the X3!

So off I went to BMW and compared the X1 and X3, mainly the rear seats for my teenage kids. They're basically the same.

X1 vs X3 (http://www.truedelta.com/BMW-X1-vs-BMW-X3-specs-comparison,1071-28)

X1 vs Tiguan (http://www.truedelta.com/BMW-X1-vs-Volkswagen-Tiguan-specs-comparison,1071-827) Edit to add this is the old tiguan :(

The interior space inside the X1 and the Tiguan is amazing for cars of their size.

Sharkie
29-09-2016, 12:38 PM
I have driven the X1 2.0T petrol not long ago and whilst it was a nice drive, the feeling of quality was not even close in comparison to any new VW.

Cheap plastics abound and when for instance the gearlever in a $60+K car has painted silver plastic trim then its a "No, thank you".

Nealo
29-09-2016, 12:54 PM
I have driven the X1 2.0T petrol not long ago and whilst it was a nice drive, the feeling of quality was not even close in comparison to any new VW.

Cheap plastics abound and when for instance the gearlever in a $60+K car has painted silver plastic trim then its a "No, thank you".

:lol: You've got me even more confused because thats exactly what I was thinking about the Tig, too much hard plastic.

kewy
29-09-2016, 01:02 PM

Because if we are talking about size, the X1 is a small size SUV, and the new Tiguan is a mid size SUV which should be compared against the X3? One look at X1 and new tiguan would tell you the size difference already.

Any boot space increase in X1 would have been at the expense of passenger space, or having to use run flats - which is not an advantage over a spare at all imho.

Comparing the latest X1 to new Tiguan not just on price point but also in size.

BMW have significantly increased the interior space of the X1. I'm still not 100% sure if the new Tiguan has more space or if they're about the same

Gladbach
29-09-2016, 01:46 PM
For me it's that the X1 feels like a crossover, just a car that rides a little higher (like a CX3) where as the Tig seems more like a medium sized SUV - higher driving position.

Brissie_Mick
01-10-2016, 12:14 AM
I've got a 2015 Tiguan with the often criticised in reviews 395 litre boot. I have 2 kids 9 and 11 and just did a 13 night 3600km road trip with the family and all our luggage needs. No worries. The new Tiguan has a much bigger boot - you'll be fine. The sliding seats also add flexibility and I think the new Tiguan has 40-20-40 folding vs 60-40 in the old one.

The rear seat legroom on the "old" Tiguan seemed better than most SUV competitors when I was looking, and the rear air vents were a must for us, so mainly focussed on competitors with these (at the time was XTrail & CRV I think). I've sat in the back a few times and the legroom and rear seats were quite comfortable.

MK

stark27
06-10-2016, 11:07 AM
Sorry, but the X1 looks like a hairdressers car, a bit girly looking unlike the Tiguan. Seems a bit more masculine, in the Highline / R-Line anyway :)

Monty1951
22-11-2016, 08:20 AM
I have a Comfortline 132 Petrol. I haggled quite a lot. With DAP and the Orange paint, I was given a $2,500 discount. That is about 5k short of your goal. It is not cheap but I am happy with the car. Not so happy with VW Australia. They still have a lot to learn about customer service. I'm happy with the dealer, btw.

REXman
23-11-2016, 12:41 PM
I have a Comfortline 132 Petrol. I haggled quite a lot. With DAP and the Orange paint, I was given a $2,500 discount. That is about 5k short of your goal. It is not cheap but I am happy with the car. Not so happy with VW Australia. They still have a lot to learn about customer service. I'm happy with the dealer, btw.

You didn't get the best discount - But you already have the car!

jaepee36
06-12-2016, 09:03 PM
So dare I ask how this goes against the new Foresters for size? =/

Dartiguan
11-01-2017, 11:00 AM
I'm not convinced. 505 (X1) vs 520 (Tig) would come down to the shape.

Seats slide forward in the X1 as well.

X1 would have another 80-100 where the spare normally goes because it has run flats.

My 2011 Gen 1 Tiguan rear seats slide back and forwards too. Never understood all the hype by car reviewers re boot size with this car as it was quite adequate if you slid the seats forward and you also have the option of folding the backs as well. That said, the new Tiguan does have much more space without doing this. Perversely perhaps, one of the reasons many bought the Gen 1 Tig was because of its size, I know that was a factor for me (I also have a Prado) a larger car means more hassles in city parking etc.