PDA

View Full Version : Audio Upgrade Options - Help!!!

chopper
24-09-2016, 03:35 PM
We have basically decided to order a 206TSI wagon. We have been given a Highline wagon to test drive over the weekend to make sure car seats etc. fit and make a final decision.

The car is great (even with the 140TDI engine)... but I'm shocked at how bad the audio is! My GTI has the standard audio package... and I had no complaints with it. I ordered it with the standard package because our Lexus has the $3,000 Mark Levinson option... and I couldn't tell the difference between it and the regular Lexus package (so I'm no audiophile!). But... the Passat audio is AWFUL... no bass, no clarity and a cheap, tinny sound! I've spent 15 minutes playing around with it, but no luck.

If the Dynaudio was an option, I would definitely have fitted it, but it's not... so I need another solution. It's not a deal breaker as the car is pretty good (and I imagine it can only get better as a 206TSI) but I don't think I can live with the sound.

Does anyone have any options / ideas about how to upgrade the speakers and sound while retaining the head unit???

SMOKEY
27-09-2016, 06:58 PM
I read in the Tiguan section of the forum that VW Australia has dropped Dynaudio for all Australian deliveries as 'nobody ever ordered it as an option'. All other markets including the sheep shaggers in NZ get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ope126
27-09-2016, 09:32 PM
This could be an option for you; Passat Variant Plug-In Sound Upgrade Speaker Kits (http://www.soumatrix.com/collections/volkswagen-speakers/products/passat-variant-plug-in-sound-upgrade-speaker-kits?variant=18806115014)

Sounmatrix Speakers are Plug & Play and made in Germany!

I was about to put these speakers in an Opel Insignia that I once owned...but I sold it:banana:

chopper
28-09-2016, 06:08 AM
This could be an option for you; Passat Variant Plug-In Sound Upgrade Speaker Kits (http://www.soumatrix.com/collections/volkswagen-speakers/products/passat-variant-plug-in-sound-upgrade-speaker-kits?variant=18806115014)

I was about to put these speakers in an Opel Insignia that I once owned...but I sold it:banana:

Cheers! This is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for! Do you happen to know what the Bass level is like with them... that's the biggest problem with the factory set-up. The higher registers sound OK with the car... so I was thinking of just adding a sub under the boot floor, but it's a hassle.

When I drove the GTI last night, I had the realisation the sound system was also pretty rubbish. I guess I was always just focused on other things...

kamold
28-09-2016, 07:36 AM
You're still going to need an amp if you really want to change the system.
The stock head unit just doesn't have the power to make upgrading the speakers worth it in my opinion.
You'll have a better result installing an amp and driving the stock speakers (and even better again if you also replace the speakers).

That really sucks that VWA have decided not to offer the Dynaudio system as an option.
I was hoping that in a few years there would be 206TSIs coming onto the second hand market with Dynaudio and digital display to replace my R36...

chopper
28-09-2016, 10:21 AM
You're still going to need an amp if you really want to change the system.
The stock head unit just doesn't have the power to make upgrading the speakers worth it in my opinion.
You'll have a better result installing an amp and driving the stock speakers (and even better again if you also replace the speakers).

That really sucks that VWA have decided not to offer the Dynaudio system as an option.
I was hoping that in a few years there would be 206TSIs coming onto the second hand market with Dynaudio and digital display to replace my R36...

Thanks kamold!

If I'm honest, it's more the lack of bass I'm worried about. I've also been thinking of just installing something like this... Hideaway Powered Subwoofer | KICKERĀ® (http://www.kicker.com/hideaway) under the concealed boot section (it should fit, if I've measured correctly!), directly behind the seat instead of replacing all the speakers. I was hoping to power it from behind the 12v plug in the boot??? I figured since it's powered, it's got its own amp and I just need to find an audio source to tap into. I also like I turn the bass up and down remotely, so it can go up with I'm alone and down when the kids are in it.

Thoughts? I'd get an audio shop to do it... I'm not about to play around with a brand new car!

kamold
28-09-2016, 11:05 AM
A powered sub might work for you, but you'd want to ideally have a controllable crossover so that you're able to control approximately what frequencies are being sent to the sub. Otherwise if you just split out the front audio signal to speakers and sub the bass signals are still going to be handled by the woofers in the front.
A good set of woofers and amp often negate the need for a sub (totally depends on your preferences of course) such as the Dynaudio system in the B6/B7. With that said the B8 Dynaudio system has a sub as well, which is even better than not ;)

I would go and talk to a reputable car audio installer, discuss your requirements and they will come up with something for you.

Don't just go to them with a particular piece of hardware in mind asking them to install it.

chopper
28-09-2016, 11:35 AM
A powered sub might work for you, but you'd want to ideally have a controllable crossover so that you're able to control approximately what frequencies are being sent to the sub. Otherwise if you just split out the front audio signal to speakers and sub the bass signals are still going to be handled by the woofers in the front.
A good set of woofers and amp often negate the need for a sub (totally depends on your preferences of course) such as the Dynaudio system in the B6/B7. With that said the B8 Dynaudio system has a sub as well, which is even better than not ;)

I would go and talk to a reputable car audio installer, discuss your requirements and they will come up with something for you.

Don't just go to them with a particular piece of hardware in mind asking them to install it.

Great advice! Thanks, I appreciate it.

Ironically, I mostly listen to AM talkback... it's just for those times you need to blast a bit of music!

I may end up getting lazy (or cheap!) and just leave the factory system. As I said earlier, I thought it was much worse than the GTI, but on reflection, they're about the same... and I lived with it for 5 years.

Matt P
06-10-2016, 10:34 PM
VW Passat 3G B8 Variant Dynaudio Soundsystem Altoparlante Amplificatore | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VW-Passat-3G-B8-Variant-Dynaudio-Soundsystem-Altoparlante-Amplificatore-/222221849078?hash=item33bd7451f6:g:J3oAAOSwV0RXqxN t)

just going to leave this here ;)

All you need are cables and coding which shouldn't be too difficult.

Im debating picking up just the speakers and an audiotech fischer amp (MATCH by Audiotec Fischer (http://www.audiotec-fischer.de/lng/en/match/) i already have this in my mk7 GTI and its quite an upgrade) and doing my own thing with the sub in the spare wheel well. After selling the sub/amp on ebay, buying a good sub and the audiotec fischer gear, i reckon you'd only be out of pocket the same amount as optioning dynaudio from the factory

booba
06-10-2016, 10:48 PM
I read in the Tiguan section of the forum that VW Australia has dropped Dynaudio for all Australian deliveries as 'nobody ever ordered it as an option'. All other markets including the sheep shaggers in NZ get it.

LIARS! I ordered it on my MY12.5, well i ordered everything except the grandpa woodgrain option lol. It's **** because VW only need to enter a PR code and magic, your car gets the option in germany, same with paint.

chopper
07-10-2016, 01:36 AM
VW Passat 3G B8 Variant Dynaudio Soundsystem Altoparlante Amplificatore | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VW-Passat-3G-B8-Variant-Dynaudio-Soundsystem-Altoparlante-Amplificatore-/222221849078?hash=item33bd7451f6:g:J3oAAOSwV0RXqxN t)

Im debating picking up just the speakers and an audiotech fischer amp (MATCH by Audiotec Fischer (http://www.audiotec-fischer.de/lng/en/match/) i already have this in my mk7 GTI and its quite an upgrade) and doing my own thing with the sub in the spare wheel well. After selling the sub/amp on ebay, buying a good sub and the audiotec fischer gear, i reckon you'd only be out of pocket the same amount as optioning dynaudio from the factory

Cheers Matt! I wish it was that easy... but I recall reading somewhere, there's two different Discover Pro units. The ones fitted to Dynaudio cars have digital-out to the amp (plus the factory wiring harness for 10.1 speakers)... the regular system uses analogue (and the built in amp) and only has the eight speaker harness. I haven't read anyone who has attempted the upgrade who has said it's easy! I'd REALLY love to be wrong... it's the ideal solution!

LIARS! I ordered it on my MY12.5, well i ordered everything except the grandpa woodgrain option lol. It's **** because VW only need to enter a PR code and magic, your car gets the option in germany, same with paint.

You left the best option off! Nothing lifts a cabin, like a bit of dead tree! It's even better when it's fake plastic dead tree... so the quality lasts. I can only imagine what the dealer charges you for any 'off book' options...

Matt P
10-10-2016, 10:52 PM
Cheers Matt! I wish it was that easy... but I recall reading somewhere, there's two different Discover Pro units. The ones fitted to Dynaudio cars have digital-out to the amp (plus the factory wiring harness for 10.1 speakers)... the regular system uses analogue (and the built in amp) and only has the eight speaker harness. I haven't read anyone who has attempted the upgrade who has said it's easy! I'd REALLY love to be wrong... it's the ideal solution!

If you find that, i'd love to hear it.

IIRC, in previous generation its a setting for amplified output or digital output through the cabling. I remember my RCD510 getting coded differently once i installed it in my mk5 golf gti and it made a surprising difference.

I've got a mk7 golf gti as well and i haven't heard anything similar about the stereos and Dynaudio and one would assume they're not dissimilar.

There is a place in QLD who claims to be able to do it btu charges $2500 for parts + more for install

Matt P
10-10-2016, 10:59 PM
Also, you do realise we have 10 speaker units from the factory?

3-way in the front doors
2 ways in the rear doors

chopper
11-10-2016, 06:03 AM
There's talk of a digital sound package in this thread here... http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/discover-pro-8-system-australia-problems-solutions-vw-dealers-95919-12.html I assume it's needed for the Amp for the Dynaudio package.

Also, you do realise we have 10 speaker units from the factory?

3-way in the front doors
2 ways in the rear doors

I've triple checked... the car specs say only 8 speakers in the car. I don't get our car until next week, so I can't check.

Vexed
18-11-2016, 10:48 AM

Soumatrix speakers are rubbish, total waste of money. I bought 4 Xtase speakers for my CC, they cost me $1200. The improvement was marginal, definitely not worth the money, and then one the exploded. I contacted support, they didn't even reply to me.

Save your money and stay away of Soumatrix.

Diegothecat
27-12-2016, 02:09 PM
Hey

How did you go with your searching? Im actually installing a 12" sub in my 206 ATM and was trolling for some wiring diagrams.

Iv put my sub in the spare wheel so it doesnt take up anyroom in my boot area.

does anyone know if there is a stock amp in the b8's I had a b7 all track which didnt. But i was told that this car had the upgraded stereo already.

Cheers Ben

Wynnston
07-01-2017, 08:42 AM
Hey

How did you go with your searching? Im actually installing a 12" sub in my 206 ATM and was trolling for some wiring diagrams.

Iv put my sub in the spare wheel so it doesnt take up anyroom in my boot area.

does anyone know if there is a stock amp in the b8's I had a b7 all track which didnt. But i was told that this car had the upgraded stereo already.

Cheers Ben

I got my MRXV75 Alpine Amp, Audison Bit 10 and 12inch sub installed the other week. It's made a huge improvement. Speakers are still stock and are reasonably capable, it's the factory AMP that is the weak point. I already had the gear. The install cost me about 500ish with a wiring kit. The AMP and Bit 10 fit perfectly under the passenger seat. I can snap some pics later if you want to see what it looks like.

Diegothecat
07-01-2017, 01:26 PM

I dId mine the other day and am very happy with the setup. I had the same in my alltrack but the sub was is a small box. This is way better.

Bass Junky
09-01-2017, 04:10 PM
I like the look of that spare mounted sub..... Do you have a link?

rave75
21-02-2017, 09:33 PM
I got my MRXV75 Alpine Amp, Audison Bit 10 and 12inch sub installed the other week. It's made a huge improvement. Speakers are still stock and are reasonably capable, it's the factory AMP that is the weak point. I already had the gear. The install cost me about 500ish with a wiring kit. The AMP and Bit 10 fit perfectly under the passenger seat. I can snap some pics later if you want to see what it looks like.

I am in Sydney, do you know any good car audio installer in here? What sub did you use as well?

cgorac
27-03-2017, 01:47 PM
Go for JL Audio speakers they are well worth the Money i had them in my ford laser the TR range. Now that my car is written off i'm am going to buy a passat but still in negotian stage with the dealer.

Mr_206
29-03-2017, 10:24 AM
I like the look of that spare mounted sub..... Do you have a link?
Thats.an.Alpine.Type.S.sub!

nermal
29-03-2017, 10:35 AM
There's always the Dynaudio Esotec range (more affordable than Esotar).

An Esotec system is still more expensive than the (non-existent) Dynaudio factory option, but better quality. Expect to spend a few $K for front and rear component speakers + amp.

Wynnston
30-03-2017, 10:16 PM
I'm using an Alpine MRX Amp (5ch) with an Audison Bit 10 DRC. The amp is powering the factory speaker setup and a 12" Rockford P2 Sub. The factory speakers aren't too bad when they are Amped up and tuned for use with a sub. They'll certainly be upgraded at some point but they do the job for now, a major improvement over factory overall.

TheEngineer
31-03-2017, 10:12 AM
Could you provide more details on how it was fitted?
ie. Is there a digital output from the existing head unit.
Where did you place the digital processor and amp?
How was the speaker wiring routed?
Where did you access the high current power input for the amp?
Thanks

nermal
31-03-2017, 04:46 PM

I think you can code your RNS 510 to deliver low-level (RCA-level) outputs to an amp through the speaker outputs..

From memory, that was the case for my 2008 R36, where Dynaudio was an option (luckily mine came with all the right wiring and plugs for a plug-n-play retrofit)...

Being Brisbane-based, I'd recommend talking to JKU.com.au (http://JKU.com.au) (at Maroochydore).

kamold
31-03-2017, 05:06 PM
Yep coding is well documented.
5min job.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

rave75
03-04-2017, 04:32 PM
Any reputable installer in Sydney? Marty@FHRX is fully booked. Lifestyle store at Parramatta quoted me $800 to install and amp, subwoofer and front speakers (installation only without components). Not sure if it is a good price?

Wynnston
03-04-2017, 11:20 PM
Could you provide more details on how it was fitted?
How was the speaker wiring routed?
Where did you access the high current power input for the amp?
Thanks

I had someone do this install job, but know how they did it.
- Power is from the battery (4 gauge power wire)
- Plenty of earth points under the carpet
- Amp is under the front passenger seat (fits perfectly)
- Bit Ten is under the front passenger seat, just behind the amp
- The Controller for the bit 10 is routed all the way to the compartment just beneath the headlight switch. It's rather neat.
- Speakers are wired to the thingo in the glove box, I had them use adapters on everything, that way it's easy to uninstall if I want to.

Wynnston
03-04-2017, 11:21 PM
Any reputable installer in Sydney? Marty@FHRX is fully booked. Lifestyle store at Parramatta quoted me $800 to install and amp, subwoofer and front speakers (installation only without components). Not sure if it is a good price?

My install job was $600 with me providing the gear except for the wiring kit.

Asahi1985
08-04-2017, 01:26 PM
I have a my17 r line and carsales says it has a 8 speaker stereo but my count is

1 on the dash centre front
3 in each forward door (6)
2 in rear doors

9 my count ? Is the dash not counted as a speaker and maybe a sub?

Wynnston
09-04-2017, 12:28 AM
I have a my17 r line and carsales says it has a 8 speaker stereo but my count is

2 in rear doors

9 my count ? Is the dash not counted as a speaker and maybe a sub?

The centre speaker part is empty. No speaker for AU delivered cars.

Also, another R-Line owner in Perth! Welcome. Do you just have an R-Line pack or do you have the 206 TSI?

rave75
10-04-2017, 11:18 AM

2 in rear doors

Centre is empty, front doors have 3-way speakers and rear have 2-way. So in total it is 10.

I am planning to upgrade the speakers. I am going to put 5-channel amp, a sub and change the front speakers. Still deciding between going 4-channel to the front speakers or 2-channel front and 2-channel rear.

Wynnston
10-04-2017, 09:49 PM
Centre is empty, front doors have 3-way speakers and rear have 2-way. So in total it is 10.

I am planning to upgrade the speakers. I am going to put 5-channel amp, a sub and change the front speakers. Still deciding between going 4-channel to the front speakers or 2-channel front and 2-channel rear.

I'd do the amp and sub first. You'd be surprised at how "ok" the front speakers are once they're going through a proper amp.

rave75
11-04-2017, 04:20 PM
I'd do the amp and sub first. You'd be surprised at how "ok" the front speakers are once they're going through a proper amp.

If you have the option to choose all the amp channel to front speakers or 2-channel front + 2-channel rear (going passive through the crossover), which one will you choose?

Wynnston
11-04-2017, 09:43 PM
If you have the option to choose all the amp channel to front speakers or 2-channel front + 2-channel rear (going passive through the crossover), which one will you choose?

The latter.

keepleft
29-04-2017, 05:59 PM
Can anyone share their completed audio upgrades? I have a 206TSI Wagon and am looking for some options.

rave75
17-05-2017, 04:19 PM
Can anyone share their completed audio upgrades? I have a 206TSI Wagon and am looking for some options.

I am about to install 6-channel Helix P Six MKII amp/dsp, Focal 2-way PS165FX (going active), rears stay stock, POLK DB1212 sub.

I've heard some speakers at an audio shop and personally I think PS165FX ($400) is the best at the price range (it won't an award too).

Helix P six got good reviews and award too. It is an amp and dsp combo, awesome spec, much better than Kicker IQ1000.5 and the price is similar.

I'm not really fussy about sub, I picked POLK DB1212 just because it comes with an enclosure and cost me $200 brand new.

Pantera6
28-09-2017, 09:17 AM
Thought I'd add to this thread as I too am doing research on the best audio upgrade path for the B8 Discovery Pro sound system. I took the front passenger door card off to see what the internals look like - Pics at the link below if anyone finds ths useful...

VWWatercooled Images < - Image Gallery Page 1 (http://www.vwwatercooled.com/images/gallery.php?search=B8+door)

It appears the AU configuration is a 6.5in "full range" with a tweeter that also shares the same full range "signal" and high passed through a electrolytic cap in parallel (a very common configuraion in standard car audio setups). There is no mid-range like the Dynaudio setup. I am almost certain the rear door speaker configuration is exactly the same. I would therefore deduce that the factory head unit's (the CD drive in the glovebox) built in amp outputs 4 channels - LF, RF, LR, RR in "full range". This also aligns with VW's advertising that the Discovery Pro has 8 speakers. Based on some other MK 7 Golf forums, I also think the Discovery Pro has internal EQ built in to accomodate the factory speakers (although I am unable to verify this)!

rave75
28-09-2017, 11:53 AM
I would therefore deduce that the factory head unit's (the CD drive in the glovebox) built in amp outputs 4 channels - LF, RF, LR, RR in "full range".!

Yes, there are 4 x 20 watt of high level outputs from the factory head unit. I put an external amplifier/dsp that has high-level inputs and it works flawlessly.

ClassicAU
28-09-2017, 03:45 PM
I recently had a mono amp and sub added to the factory system in my B7 Passat, and have to say that it did a fine job of lifting the factory speakers. Removing the bass from the speakers and having the sub do all the work seems to have helped. The units I used are Rockford Fosgate R500X1D mono and P3S-1X12 slim sub and enclosure.

bunglebp
29-09-2017, 10:49 AM
Just spoke to VW as i know Dynaudio is being offered in 2018 models, and confirmed it cannot be installed into 2017 206 TSI as an option :(

rave75
29-09-2017, 11:16 AM
Just spoke to VW as i know Dynaudio is being offered in 2018 models, and confirmed it cannot be installed into 2017 206 TSI as an option :(

You can, but you need different head unit.

limiteded
29-09-2017, 10:08 PM
Can you expand on this post? The my 18 bulletins dont list dynaudio for the passat, unless there is a newer vesion of the bulletin. Dynaudio is obviously being offered on new golfs comfortline upwards & golf alltrack premiums as part of the optional info packs, as well as an option for the areton.
My understanding for the restriction of avaliability is related to not diluting new product launches, being areton an new golf.

rave75
06-10-2017, 10:01 AM
VW Passat 3G B8 Variant Dynaudio Soundsystem Altoparlante Amplificatore | eBay (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?campid=5337592361&toolid=10001&mpre=http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VW-Passat-3G-B8-Variant-Dynaudio-Soundsystem-Altoparlante-Amplificatore-/222221849078?hash=item33bd7451f6:g:J3oAAOSwV0RXqxN t)

You can't just put that dynaudio there, you need a head unit that comes with optical output connection. Only cars with dynaudio upgrade has that head unit.

kook
26-10-2020, 04:29 PM
Sorry to drag up this old post but just wanted to confirm that the Dynaudio system WONT work with an MY18 206Tsi R-Line wagon? I have the Discover Pro 9.2 inch system in the car. I was going to make a cheeky offer on this system on Ebay but if it doesn't work I can move onto other options.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VW-Passat-B8-Dynaudio-Soundsystem-Lautsprecher-Verstarker-Subwoofer-3Q0035465/372900681549 (https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?campid=5337592361&toolid=10001&mpre=https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?campid=5337592361&toolid=10001&mpre=https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VW-Passat-B8-Dynaudio-Soundsystem-Lautsprecher-Verstarker-Subwoofer-3Q0035465/372900681549)

kamold
26-10-2020, 05:25 PM
Sorry to drag up this old post but just wanted to confirm that the Dynaudio system WONT work with an MY18 206Tsi R-Line wagon? I have the Discover Pro 9.2 inch system in the car. I was going to make a cheeky offer on this system on Ebay but if it doesn't work I can move onto other options.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VW-Passat-B8-Dynaudio-Soundsystem-Lautsprecher-Verstarker-Subwoofer-3Q0035465/372900681549 (https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?campid=5337592361&toolid=10001&mpre=https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?campid=5337592361&toolid=10001&mpre=https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VW-Passat-B8-Dynaudio-Soundsystem-Lautsprecher-Verstarker-Subwoofer-3Q0035465/372900681549)Yes it will work - but...the amp has component protection which needs odis online to remove.
Then it has a parameter set for each vehicle which controls audio setup which needs vcp to correct.
Then you need the optical cable and if you already have aid it needs to be a splitter type.
Then coding and adaptation of 5f to get it to work.

So certainly doable but it needs the right tools and skills.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

kook
26-10-2020, 05:46 PM
Thanks kamold, well I saw in another post someone else here in Perth is still struggling with that unlock procedure. The Ebay seller just messaged me and said I need the wiring harness also. This now goes into the too hard basket. I have an Audison Voce amp and Focal PS 165FX, will use those instead.