PDA

View Full Version : M17 Tiguan - Australian Reviews

Gladbach
22-09-2016, 04:29 PM
I've been eagerly awaiting reading some Australian reviews, and since the Tiguan was launched last week they should start being published now. This is the first one I've seen:

http://www.caradvice.com.au​/481445/2017-volkswagen-tiguan-review/

I'll have a proper read tonight, but for R-Line buyers, the news is good ;-)

Frogasaursas
22-09-2016, 06:59 PM
A couple more - the motoring.com one is gushing but says the opposite of car advice re the R-line pack. Opinions eh, every one has them.

http://www.motoring.com.au/volkswagen-tiguan-2016-review-103913/

2016 Volkswagen Tiguan new car review (http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-reviews/2016-volkswagen-tiguan-new-car-review-20160921-grloux.html)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dragorn
22-09-2016, 08:11 PM
Can anyone explain this comment right at the end of the article:

and the DSG reverted from manual to auto mode after you use them, like most other paddle systems

I've only ever used paddles in my BMW and they worked great. Would drop down a gear when approaching a round about and then let it fall back to auto mode once I'd driven through. Having to manually perform an action to get back to auto mode concerns me?

mr gee
22-09-2016, 09:46 PM
I take it as when the paddles are not used after a certain time, the DSG will revert back to auto mode

NZ_GolfR
26-09-2016, 06:24 AM
Can anyone explain this comment right at the end of the article:

and the DSG reverted from manual to auto mode after you use them, like most other paddle systems

I've only ever used paddles in my BMW and they worked great. Would drop down a gear when approaching a round about and then let it fall back to auto mode once I'd driven through. Having to manually perform an action to get back to auto mode concerns me?

If you use the paddles when the DSG is in Drive/Auto mode then after a short period of no longer using them (not sure exactly how long as I haven't timed it in mine) it will switch back to auto mode again. If you switch over the manual mode then the paddles will always remain active until you switch back to Drive/Auto again.

Gladbach
06-10-2016, 03:27 PM
New article comparing the Tiguan, CX-5, Koleos and Tucson.

Medium SUV Comparison: Hyundai Tucson Highlander v Mazda CX-5 GT v Renault Koleos Intens v Volkswagen Tiguan 132TSI Comfortline (http://www.caradvice.com.au/481541/medium-suv-comparison-hyundai-tucson-highlander-v-mazda-cx-5-gt-v-renault-koleos-intens-v-volkswagen-tiguan-132tsi-comfortline/)

The VW was the pick of the bunch by the writer ;-)

Interstingly enough, despite complaints about audio quality/lack of DYNAUDIO, the writer found the Tiguan's soundsystem the best audio quality.

NjB
06-10-2016, 09:26 PM
Yeah but it came last by a long way with servicing costs which is disappointing

Mac135
06-10-2016, 10:02 PM

Medium SUV Comparison: Hyundai Tucson Highlander v Mazda CX-5 GT v Renault Koleos Intens v Volkswagen Tiguan 132TSI Comfortline (http://www.caradvice.com.au/481541/medium-suv-comparison-hyundai-tucson-highlander-v-mazda-cx-5-gt-v-renault-koleos-intens-v-volkswagen-tiguan-132tsi-comfortline/)

Interstingly enough, despite complaints about audio quality/lack of DYNAUDIO, the writer found the Tiguan's soundsystem the best audio quality.

Actually i thought the review was a bit lukewarm toward the Tiguan. Felt it barely headed a 5 year old Mazda. Expected a higher level of praise than it got.

White Tiguan
07-10-2016, 10:02 AM

I think the model comparison wasn`t quite right either. The Koleos Intens and Hyundai Highlander are top spec. The 132 Comfortline is not .

tigger73
09-10-2016, 10:28 AM
Volkswagen Tiguan v Mazda CX-5 v Hyundai Tucson | Drive.com.au:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsWOkAhKsQI

Frogasaursas
09-10-2016, 01:19 PM
Thanks Tigger73. I really find it hard to swallow how many reviewers think the CX-5 is a great car to drive. I've test driven it twice and been completely underwhelmed both times at how sluggish it is. Maybe I'm missing something? In my personal comparison the Tiguan felt so much more zippy and better to drive - each to their own I guess.

tigger73
09-10-2016, 08:48 PM
Sounds like Mazda (CX-5) is already countering the entry of the new Tiguan in the market by loading up extra features and dropping prices.

Agree that the Mazda is probably a little underpowered for a (relatively) heavy AWD car. But most of the buyers/drivers of these cars are using the car for shops/school runs around the suburbs.

Chewie
14-10-2016, 07:58 AM
some more comparison reviews
Kia Sportage, Mazda CX-5 and Volkswagen Tiguan 2016 review | comparison | CarsGuide (http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews/kia-sportage-mazda-cx-5-and-volkswagen-tiguan-2016-review-comparison-46607)

Fridgie877
14-10-2016, 08:06 AM
Kia Sportage, Mazda CX-5 and Volkswagen Tiguan 2016 review | comparison | CarsGuide (http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews/kia-sportage-mazda-cx-5-and-volkswagen-tiguan-2016-review-comparison-46607)

Why do they not make videos of all the reviews in this day and age, who has time to sit there and read words lol

Sharkie
14-10-2016, 09:16 AM

The Tiguan lost ... due to things not working .... no surprise there, nobody matches the Koreans for build quality these days :(

Arkanoid007
14-10-2016, 09:18 PM
Sounds like Mazda (CX-5) is already countering the entry of the new Tiguan in the market by loading up extra features and dropping prices.

The safety pack may be standard but you're still charged for it. It was about $1060 on the GT spec before but now it costs around $700 while being "standard". I hate it when they say "standard" because people think "free" addition, but that is not the case majority of the time; and that's deceptive advertising/marketing IMO.

Fridgie877
15-10-2016, 01:42 PM
I'd like to see a comparison of the 162tsi r line and the forester ts

Gladbach
15-10-2016, 04:22 PM
We'll probably see something like this once the 162tsi arrives in Australia. VW only had a 140tdi R-Line available for the reviews.

tigger73
15-10-2016, 06:26 PM
I think the Forester TS was/is a limited edition so it is only available for a short time (similar to VW and Wolfsburg models). It's basically an XT with a body kit and some with some wheel/suspension upgrades. Which is similar to the R-line on a Tigaun though the TS does get a set of Brembos.

But sure the Forester XT vs 162TSI is probably a fair comparison for a head to head.

Fridgie877
15-10-2016, 07:34 PM
You think the ts will be an unfair comparison if it is continued into 2017?

tigger73
15-10-2016, 09:07 PM
The tS is a limited run - Subaru OZ only imported 300 into the country and most of these are sold. There's a few on carsales but it's not even showing as an option on the Subaru website anymore.

I don't think there will be another run. There's a mid-life update to the Forester coming in 2017 so they'll want to clear the current stock out before the refresh hits the showrooms.

tigger73
16-10-2016, 07:02 AM
Here's an interesting review: 2017 Volkswagen Tiguan: seven things to like about this new mid-sized SUV (http://www.caradvice.com.au/484088/seven-cool-things-about-the-2017-volkswagen-tiguan/)

Chewie
20-11-2016, 07:26 PM
Finally some more Australian reviews. Too bad its not the R Line model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_P7kuz5rPY

Gladbach
21-11-2016, 10:03 AM
Finally some more Australian reviews. Too bad its not the R Line model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_P7kuz5rPY

Thanks for posting this. I can't wait to start getting some 162TSI reviews when the vehicles are available.

Mac135
21-11-2016, 06:25 PM
Biggest take out from this for me was that the blue looked way better than I thought it would in the metal.

Chewie
22-11-2016, 06:36 PM
Remember the blue on the R50? I was hoping they would offer that colour for the R Line. Sadly no and it's also disappointing that the colour range is even less for the R Line.

tigger73
22-11-2016, 07:05 PM
OK another review/comparison to Hyundai Tucson: Volkswagen Tiguan v Hyundai Tucson 2016 Comparison (http://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/reviews/2016/medium-4x4/volkswagen/tiguan/volkswagen-tiguan-v-hyundai-tucson-2016-comparison-104611?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=carsales_221116&utm_content=carsales_221116+CID_1d1a80b05f05260ddf b8315de7e5dd8a&utm_source=newsletter&utm_term=Read%20more)

Mac135
22-11-2016, 07:41 PM
Remember the blue on the R50? I was hoping they would offer that colour for the R Line. Sadly no and it's also disappointing that the colour range is even less for the R Line.

Two reasons why we didn't get the Rline (the car is a company car but for 95% of the time it is my wife's) I call on ot occasional if I need to move somethings around:

1 was the very limited colour choice - she wanted the orange (which I think will look good) after a sequence of dark or silver cars

2 Rline equates to R- as in Scirocco R which means sports - which means she won't drive it.

The Rline adds are things we can really do without though I think the Rline body kit and the Orange would have looked great.

Frogasaursas
22-11-2016, 08:29 PM
Two reasons why we didn't get the Rline (the car is a company car but for 95% of the time it is my wife's) I call on ot occasional if I need to move somethings around:

1 was the very limited colour choice - she wanted the orange (which I think will look good) after a sequence of dark or silver cars

2 Rline equates to R- as in Scirocco R which means sports - which means she won't drive it.

The Rline adds are things we can really do without though I think the Rline body kit and the Orange would have looked great.

Yeah I didn't go R Line either, mostly due to the missus (it'll be our 'family car'). She hated the R logos on the seats, thought they were tacky and 'bogan-esque'. It's interesting what one person calls a feature another sees as a detriment.

Personally I would have liked the R-line but I guess the snob in her saved me 4K.

Gladbach
22-11-2016, 08:40 PM
I'm getting an R-Line, but to be honest, I'd prefer it without the R logo on the seats and without the black roof lining. The outside body kit is lovely, the steering wheel is really nice and the adaptive chassis control (dampers) and progressive steering make for a lovely drive IMO.

Frogasaursas
22-11-2016, 09:05 PM
I'm getting an R-Line, but to be honest, I'd prefer it without the R logo on the seats and without the black roof lining. The outside body kit is lovely, the steering wheel is really nice and the adaptive chassis control (dampers) and progressive steering make for a lovely drive IMO.

Yeah I don't want to drive one so I won't know what I'm missing when I get behind the wheel of my Highline. [emoji6]

Mac135
22-11-2016, 09:19 PM

Agree it should be a good drive and the look of the R line body kit is great. Sara would have been happy with a 132 but I determined that if we are having a DSG car then it has to have paddles. I drive the Roc 95% of the time in manual using paddles. So her desire for something not silver, white or black and my desire for a more lively drive and paddles got us to the highline. All for a car that will do 5,000km per year if our current 2009 147tsi with 40k on the clock s anything to go by!

Frogasaursas
25-11-2016, 09:57 AM
Look who won Drive's Car of the Year...

2016 Drive Car of the Year (http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-reviews/2016-drive-car-of-the-year-20161121-gstxvu.html)

revriest
25-11-2016, 10:24 AM
Look who won Drive's Car of the Year...

2016 Drive Car of the Year (http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-reviews/2016-drive-car-of-the-year-20161121-gstxvu.html)

Nice!
Can't wait for 162tsi reviews to come through.
The engine alone should take an already impressive package up another notch.

REXman
25-11-2016, 11:45 PM
Nice!
Can't wait for 162tsi reviews to come through.
The engine alone should take an already impressive package up another notch.

Nice! Cannot wait for the new Tiggy.. and now I know the 162TSI has those exhausts at the back I'm even happier!

REGS12
05-12-2016, 12:45 PM
Go Auto have done a good review on the new Tiguan. In the specifications of various models, warranty is stated as 5 years and unlimited klms. Be great if that was accurate, but I believe there is only a 3 year warranty.

Gladbach
05-12-2016, 01:24 PM
Go Auto have done a good review on the new Tiguan. In the specifications of various models, warranty is stated as 5 years and unlimited klms. Be great if that was accurate, but I believe there is only a 3 year warranty.

Yeah, it's 3 years, unlimited KMs. Do you have a link to the review?

kacak
05-12-2016, 01:43 PM
Yeah, it's 3 years, unlimited KMs. Do you have a link to the review?

Googling suggests this might be it?
2016 Volkswagen Tiguan 110TSI Comfortline | GoAuto - Our Opinion (http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/109437A531746DB3CA25807C001C5AC0)

Gladbach
05-12-2016, 02:01 PM
Yeah, I found it. Not a bad write-up. Strangely enough they were critical of the road and wind-noise, whereas I had found that The Tiguans that I drove were really quiet, noticeable better than the Tucson and CX-5.

Gladbach
07-12-2016, 12:46 PM
Not really a review, but an interesting read: Volkswagen Tiguan beats its sales record, pre-orders for hotted-up 162TSI soar (http://www.caradvice.com.au/505375/volkswagen-tiguan-beats-its-sales-record-pre-orders-for-hotted-up-162tsi-soar/)

NjB
07-12-2016, 01:43 PM
John Cadogan doing his usual I hate VW routine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS4DbiDYv60

Gladbach
07-12-2016, 02:33 PM
What a sad, hopeless old man.

Delewin
07-12-2016, 04:28 PM
He is a classic "shock Jock" in old radio speak.

Some of his videos are interesting. But like everything on the internet, do your own homework.

His "off-shoot" company got me the lowest price for my Tiguan 162 TSI, but his Leasing "off-shoot" company was the highest price.

Like I said above. Do your own homework and you may not get the absolute lowest price, but you do get the lowest price at that time. :)

David

Delewin
07-12-2016, 04:34 PM
Listen to what he actually says.

He is impressed with the Tiguan as a well spec'ed and well made vehicle. His beef is with VW and what he believes is their poor customer service focus record.

As this will be the first VW I will own, I am not in a position to comment either way.

I am sure other members of this forum are in a position to either agree or debunk John's remarks.

David

Mac135
07-12-2016, 05:55 PM
I think there will be a range of experiences from my - I've never had anything but excellent service - to something less than that. Something mist be driving John Cadogan's comments. That said I've never had anything go wrong with the three VW's I've owned since 2005 (2005 MkV GTI, 2009 Tiguan 147 and 2012 Scirocco R). Only standard services except for 1 Tiguan recall. Absolutely perfect record.

In between the GTI and the Scirocco I owned a =BMW 135i - loved driving it - when something wasn't broken on it. All minor stuff, electric mostly, all covered by warranty but I got rid because I was spending too much time at the then Stillwell's service centre.

For me VW 3 BMW 0

Gladbach
07-12-2016, 06:49 PM
Yeah, his main issue was with Volkswagen as a company, as well as him believing that they were producing poorly engineered vehicles. He did say that he thought it was a good car. He makes some good points, but he comes across as being a grumpy conspiracy theorist.

In any case, I have had two Jetta (2006 model and the 2012 model that I still have). With the 2006 model I had to take it in under warranty for an ABS issue (the brakes would sometimes do a really light ABS style pulsing action when I was braking -sounds worse than it was, it was barely noticeable). They fixed it in 1 day and it was fine after that. The second issue was that the accelerator pedal started to make a clicking sound when pressed to the floor. The car was out of warranty by 2 months but they did a good will and replaced it at no cost. With the 2012 model it has been fine, except one of the rear door locking mechanisms has started to play up and I suspect the module will need to be replaced. It's now well out of warranty so I will have to pay to have it fixed (annoying timing with the wait for the Tiguan underway). My experience has been pretty decent, not amazing, but definitely not bad.

I do have a friend who had the same model 2006 Jetta as me (147FSI). When it was about 4.5 years old the DSG failed and VW refused to do a good will on it (1.5 years out of warranty). He tried to claim that it was a known issue but they refused to do anything for him, and used the argument that he didn't have it served by them and that the third party may not have serviced the DSG properly. It cost him quite a few grand to fix, before selling it and vowing to never by a VW again. It certainly made me think twice before buying my second Jetta. The trouble I had was finding a car that had the same power and driving dynamics at the same price point, so I settled for another Jetta anyway. Pretty much the same thing applies to my purchase of a Tiguan. Other manufacturers in this price point have under powered engines and nothing exciting in the tech department.

I have to say that in this day and age, a 3 year warranty is pretty poor. Mitsubishi were offering a 10 year limited warranty, and Hyundai offer a 7 year warranty. VW need to catch up. Now that VW have fixed price servicing, the best advice I can give anyone is to service it through VW, because if anything fails outside the warranty period, you'll have zero chance of them doing a good will if you haven't serviced the vehicle through VW.

Delewin
08-12-2016, 06:08 AM
Gladbach. I agree you getting the car serviced at the dealership during and after the warranty period.

I have personal experience with Mitsubishi. I owned a 1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR4. I had the car regularly serviced at Northshore Mitsubishi. I had an extended warranty to 5 years but only did 12500 km per year. 2500 km after my 80000 service the timing belt broke and I got it towed to Northshore Mitsubishi to repair. The timing belt is due for replacement every 100000 km.

Now the car was approx 7 years old and Northshore Mitsubishi went to bat on my behalf and Mitsubishi paid for the complete engine rebuild. At the time it came to approx $6,000.

So I can very much vouch for Mitsubishi's Customer focus.

It is just a pity that they did not continue to bring out cars that I felt were better than their opposition.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Delewin
08-12-2016, 06:09 AM
Mitsubishi paid for the engine rebuild.

wiredless
19-12-2016, 08:16 AM
Another review this time for the 110TDI comfortline. 2017 Volkswagen Tiguan 110TDI Comfortline review | CarAdvice (http://www.caradvice.com.au/498088/2017-volkswagen-tiguan-110tdi-comfortline-review/)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hcvo1
03-01-2017, 08:23 PM
Drive's extended road test with the Tiguan.

2016 Volkswagen Tiguan extended road test review (http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-reviews/2016-volkswagen-tiguan-extended-road-test-review-20161229-gtjd6x.html?trackLink=homePageReview5)

Gladbach
11-01-2017, 12:06 PM
Sadly, not a review of the 162TSI (I know many are hanging on that!), but here's an interesting overview of the 4Motion system in the Tiguan.

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-advice/2017-volkswagen-tiguan-4motion-active-control-modes-actually-explanation/

wiredless
14-01-2017, 12:36 PM
Practical motoring review of the 132TSI
https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-reviews/2017-volkswagen-tiguan-32tsi-review/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Roddy
17-01-2017, 06:32 PM
This practicalmotoring review says " it’s a staggering 38mm shorter (1648mm) than the old model" THAT'S NOT RIGHT, surely?? ----

EDIT - ah they mean "LOWER" ...

TungstenR
17-01-2017, 06:41 PM
The height of the 2wd is 1632mm, and the height of the 4wd is 1643mm.

Gladbach
17-01-2017, 07:09 PM
This practicalmotoring review says " it’s a staggering 38mm shorter (1648mm) than the old model" THAT'S NOT RIGHT, surely?? ----

EDIT - ah they mean "LOWER" ...

I read it the same as you, had to read it a few times to realise that they meant the height.

wiredless
17-01-2017, 08:18 PM
I read it the same as you, had to read it a few times to realise that they meant the height.

Yep. Noticed the same issue before I posted the link - had to re-read too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

veew
21-01-2017, 07:21 AM
Not a review but in the article it states one is only a week away: Volkswagen Tiguan 162TSI:: Dominant sales expected for performance SUV (http://www.caradvice.com.au/515718/volkswagen-tiguan-162tsi-dominant-sales-expected-for-performance-suv/)

Gladbach
21-01-2017, 08:11 AM
Nice one, thanks for posting! Looking forward to next week :)

Vwvw1212
21-01-2017, 10:19 AM
Not a review but in the article it states one is only a week away: Volkswagen Tiguan 162TSI:: Dominant sales expected for performance SUV (http://www.caradvice.com.au/515718/volkswagen-tiguan-162tsi-dominant-sales-expected-for-performance-suv/)
Good find. Looking forward to it!

Mac135
21-01-2017, 01:32 PM
VW will be loving that. A 20% share of all Tiguan volume would be way higher than the share earned by previous 147/155 versions plus they are getting sales of the premium packs. Even if it does cannibalise the Golf a bit there is a lovely premium in there. Explains a bit of the lead time for this model and some of it variations.

Now just 5 sleeps to go!

Vwvw1212
25-01-2017, 11:32 AM
Review for 162tsi is here! 2017 Volkswagen Tiguan 162TSI Highline review | CarAdvice (http://www.caradvice.com.au/516026/2017-volkswagen-tiguan-162tsi-highline-review/)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Mac135
25-01-2017, 12:29 PM
A decent review........and pretty much what you would expect in terms of comparisons to the GTI. Looking forward to Friday.

TungstenR
25-01-2017, 03:07 PM
Pretty lame review. There is so much more to this car, that I doubt if he's actually been driving the Tiguan 162kw R-line (or Highline with R-line package and DAP). Or maybe just around the block of his office?

Gladbach
25-01-2017, 03:21 PM
I thought it was a decent review. Funny though that they rated technology and connectivity as 8. I thought it would have got a bit better than that.

Mac135
25-01-2017, 04:38 PM
Pretty lame review. There is so much more to this car, that I doubt if he's actually been driving the Tiguan 162kw R-line (or Highline with R-line package and DAP). Or maybe just around the block of his office?

Well there has been a fair bit said about the Tiguan in general and the 162 highline adds only a bit to that story overall. The biggest change is the performance of the 162 engine and that seemed pretty well covered and the other niceties that come with the highline/rline that we haven't had reported on a fully specced Comfortline. Things like ride handling on the bigger wheels, the progressive steering etc, rline styling etc.

Best review ever no....but an indicator of the one thing we don't know about the 162 Tiguan and that's how it feels to drive. Performance seems pretty good/as expected but clearly once we get into the bends its no GTI (but then anyone thinking that it would be was probably not in touch with reality).

You have also had the benefit of living with it for a few weeks too?

My gripe - he referred to the standard highline as a bit bland.........he's obviously not taking into account the Habenero :)

Chocolate_Bear
25-01-2017, 06:28 PM
Well there has been a fair bit said about the Tiguan in general and the 162 highline adds only a bit to that story overall. The biggest change is the performance of the 162 engine and that seemed pretty well covered and the other niceties that come with the highline/rline that we haven't had reported on a fully specced Comfortline. Things like ride handling on the bigger wheels, the progressive steering etc, rline styling etc.

Best review ever no....but an indicator of the one thing we don't know about the 162 Tiguan and that's how it feels to drive. Performance seems pretty good/as expected but clearly once we get into the bends its no GTI (but then anyone thinking that it would be was probably not in touch with reality).

You have also had the benefit of living with it for a few weeks too?

My gripe - he referred to the standard highline as a bit bland.........he's obviously not taking into account the Habenero :)

Obviously not the habenero bud! Seen one around and it's sweet! :-D

Overall review is good I felt. I have driven the macan gts, MB glc 250 and MB glc 43 AMG then at the end of dec drove the tiggy 162 .. apart from raw power of the Porsche and GLC43, there is not much in it at all.. glc250 was not the most impressive from a drive perspective. Was not a fan of the display sticking out the dash like an iPad! Result is I actually prefer the Tiggy from a price point, options and overall balance with it being practical and also having decent power.. enough for a family SUV..that's the whole point.. a family SUV!! I was close to signing for the MB43 AMG taken away by the pure power of it, but common sense prevailed after sitting in the Tiggy.. reality is that you are basically paying for a premium brand badge and that's paying by more than 30k. If you are loaded then go for it.. just remember that the 162 Tiguan we bunch are getting is really up there with them. Smile and wave proudly from your Tiggy at those so called premium brands when you see them at the traffic light .. :-D lol

Tiguan 162tsi rline (May 2017) - NSW, Northern Beaches

tigger73
25-01-2017, 07:32 PM
I thought it was a decent review. Funny though that they rated technology and connectivity as 8. I thought it would have got a bit better than that.

I think the problem most reviewers have with the car is that a number of features that are in the options packs should be standard features.

Things like adaptive cruise control and rear traffic alert which are standard features in cars close to half the price.

This is why they gave the 162TSI a 7/10 for price/features (value).

Gladbach
25-01-2017, 08:12 PM
I found this video of the NCAP testing pretty interesting. The end of the video where they test the emergency braking is pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaQQ_d3901Y

wiredless
25-01-2017, 08:15 PM
Here's another 2017 Volkswagen Tiguan 162TSI first drive review (http://m.drive.com.au/new-car-reviews/2017-volkswagen-tiguan-162tsi-first-drive-review-20170124-gty5w1.html)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gladbach
25-01-2017, 08:24 PM
And here's a (brief) video review of the 162TSI. They're starting to flow in now :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JsgSloCZX4

Delewin
25-01-2017, 08:26 PM
Good but brief review.

Chocolate_Bear
25-01-2017, 08:47 PM
And here's a (brief) video review of the 162TSI. They're starting to flow in now :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JsgSloCZX4

Thanks for sharing that ! Nice review!

AEROBERGERKLOPS
26-01-2017, 11:50 AM
another one...

Volkswagen Tiguan 2017 Review (https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/reviews/2017/medium-4x4/volkswagen/tiguan/volkswagen-tiguan-2017-review-105631)

Funny that it's the same car in all the reviews so far.

spamm_ed
26-01-2017, 02:09 PM
link fail

another one...

Volkswagen Tiguan 2017 Review (https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/reviews/2017/medium-4x4/volkswagen/tiguan/volkswagen-tiguan-2017-review-105631)

Funny that it's the same car in all the reviews so far.

tigger73
26-01-2017, 02:23 PM
links fixed

AEROBERGERKLOPS
26-01-2017, 05:11 PM
Maybe this one will be better for those not on mobile devices.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/reviews/2017/Family/Volkswagen/Tiguan/volkswagen-tiguan-2017-review-105631

AEROBERGERKLOPS
27-01-2017, 02:18 PM
new video review as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7kWgxgGTBI

TungstenR
27-01-2017, 03:00 PM
LOL, did all the professional reviewers had an hour per person for actually testing the car?

Delewin
27-01-2017, 04:47 PM
Certainly looks that way. [emoji12]

tigger73
27-01-2017, 05:17 PM
By the sounds of it there was a launch event for 162TSI and all the main journos got an invite.

They all play the game - write a nice review so they get invited back for future events.

Otherwise you write a bad review they may not ask you back... fair but positive I think is the name of the game :)

Gladbach
27-01-2017, 06:13 PM
They all seem to say pretty much the same thing as well.

Bassik
27-01-2017, 06:34 PM
They all seem to say pretty much the same thing as well.

Yeah they start with "It's a Golf GTI on stilts" and end with "It's not like a Golf GTI on stilts" lol

REXman
28-01-2017, 03:14 AM
I'm synical even at my most optimistic of times (Hoot to be around). I've been reading a few reviews for the Tiguan (who we kidding, I've read nearly all of them). Anyway, I thought I was hallucinating and found it very coincendental that more than one review mentioned that "this is not a GTI on stilts".. pretty much to the letter, so I started reading reviews across different websites, and they all read very similar. Almost just.. paraphrased.

So then I looked at the photo on each website - and noticed they are using the exact same photo.

I mean:

CarAdvice
Motoring
WhichCar
WheelsMag
Drive

Haven't read the other sites yet.

But the photo across the websites are also identical. Is it not weird that some pretty reputable websites have apparently covered off on a full review of a car, but have not got a real photo of the car that they drove?

They are certainly implying, at the very least, that the car that they drove is the one in the photos - which is false. What a joke!

I know some people think that all these reviews are paid advertisements - well it's certainly looking as such.

Anyone seeing this differently?

Transporter
28-01-2017, 06:21 AM
Agreed.

You should never trust the reviews. Drive and check the car yourself, ask the owners who already own it, preferably in person, at the car parks, petrol stations and whenever there is a good opportunity. I always do. :)

IMO, many reviews (not just for the cars) are fraud.

tigger73
28-01-2017, 06:45 AM
More than likely they are all provided with the same marketing spiel/information/professional location photos by VW and were too lazy to come up with something original themselves.

Flipper Dog
28-01-2017, 08:21 AM
I'm synical even at my most optimistic of times (Hoot to be around). I've been reading a few reviews for the Tiguan (who we kidding, I've read nearly all of them). Anyway, I thought I was hallucinating and found it very coincendental that more than one review mentioned that "this is not a GTI on stilts".. pretty much to the letter, so I started reading reviews across different websites, and they all read very similar. Almost just.. paraphrased.

So then I looked at the photo on each website - and noticed they are using the exact same photo.

I mean:

CarAdvice
Motoring
WhichCar
WheelsMag
Drive

Haven't read the other sites yet.

But the photo across the websites are also identical. Is it not weird that some pretty reputable websites have apparently covered off on a full review of a car, but have not got a real photo of the car that they drove?

They are certainly implying, at the very least, that the car that they drove is the one in the photos - which is false. What a joke!

I know some people think that all these reviews are paid advertisements - well it's certainly looking as such.

Anyone seeing this differently?

Yeah, so I just had a look at Go Auto's review (which is not noted above) 2017 Volkswagen Tiguan 162TSI | GoAuto - Overview (http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/38D6382353736482CA2580B30024154E#!prettyPhoto) and low and be hold again the exact same photos. It is so bad that even the shot of the Sat Nav view within the driver's instrument area has the same trip km's (228.3km), time (18:48 ) and location.
So were these the "official" VW media released photos which are provided to reviewers at the press launch? I also guess that some form of "official" media directions were provided to allow reviewers to form their own unique versions of reviews as all stories follow the same basic layout.
Of interest the Go Auto review failed to state "this is not a GTI on stilts", shame on them.

I think Transporter is on the money, these press events appear to be paid for by VW and have no independent comments allowed. The only true reviews we are going to see are on sites like this forum or talking to real people who drive the vehicle.

Gladbach
28-01-2017, 08:28 AM
It's pretty common practise. They car manufacturer has a launch day, invites a bunch of auto journos, briefs them in the car and provides some spec sheets etc, photos (a media pack) and then let's each journos drive a car for about an hour. The intention is for the journos to do a "first drive" piece. Most of these articles are going to be similar, not because they're being paid or anything, but because it's easy to regurgitate what they were just told by the car manufacturer.

Most journos will be overall favourable but reserved, I.e. give 5 or 6 pleasing attributes and one or two minor things that might be slightly negative

After a few weeks, theyll then be given a car for a whole weekend. It's then when they can do a far more in depth and honest* review.

*Honest to a point. The fact is that good reviews get more clicks, where as poor reviews may cause the reader form a negative opinion on the car magazine/site. So you usually won't see absolutely damning reviews, even the negative ones will usually finish on a positive note.

tigger73
28-01-2017, 08:30 AM
I think sometimes the comparison tests have some merit, though again are probably highly influenced by the amount of advertising $ that the manufacturer spends with the media outlet.

Again do your own research, drive the vehicles yourself and find out what the actual experience others have had by visiting places like this :)

Of course new models are always going to be hard to know what you're going to get in terms of long term reliability. But if you're concerned about long term reliability that's why you don't buy the new model. Get the old one as it's getting run out and has been on the market for 8 years. :cookie:

Chocolate_Bear
28-01-2017, 09:09 AM
I think sometimes the comparison tests have some merit, though again are probably highly influenced by the amount of advertising $ that the manufacturer spends with the media outlet.

Again do your own research, drive the vehicles yourself and find out what the actual experience others have had by visiting places like this :)

Of course new models are always going to be hard to know what you're going to get in terms of long term reliability. But if you're concerned about long term reliability that's why you don't buy the new model. Get the old one as it's getting run out and has been on the market for 8 years. :cookie:

Couldn't agree more with going out there and driving a few cars and making your choice based on personal feel. It's you that needs to be happy with your choice...

TungstenR
29-01-2017, 07:00 AM
My initial issue with the first Australian review(s) was that it did not refer to personal experience, but was often referring to what was (already) written/said about the car. My personal experience after 3000km (break-in now complete :cool: ) is quite different from my initial personal impression, both on the good, and on the bad side.

Delewin
29-01-2017, 07:40 AM
Hi TungtenR,

Please enlighten us with your 3,000Km review.

Thank you,
David

tigger73
29-01-2017, 08:03 AM
Hi TungtenR,

Thank you,
David

Check out this thread for customer/individual experiences: My Tiguan has arrived and this is my experience so far (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f238/my-tiguan-has-arrived-my-experience-so-far-116411-15.html)

TiguanR has written a short likes/dislikes and there's a few other more in depth reviews from others too.

TungstenR
29-01-2017, 08:29 AM
Hi TungtenR,

Thank you,
David

The steno gram version as posted elsewhere:

Dislikes? Yes. Lack of sporty engine/exhaust sound, mechanical/cold engine sound, too little differences between Comfort/Normal/Sport mode, ACC dangerous when cars get off the road and stop in a lane next to you, suspension "clonks" sometimes when there is a shallow but sharp hole in the road, water dropping into the car when driving in rain (footwell), car doesn't lower in Sports mode (as salesman told me), hot seats (too much insulation material?), Area view is nice BUT tricky, as I damaged a rim FOR THE FIRST TIME in my life, wind noise, rear spoiler isn't perfectly glued on one side (99.9% of people wouldn't notice), as is the "4motion" badge, that is about 3-4 mm down from the 2.0 TSI badge on one side (again, most people wouldn't notice).

Likes? Yes, plenty! First the overwhelmingly good dash display and Discovery Pro, with all of its settings/information, the comfortable and stable ride, in any and all of the settings, (my reference is an AUDI S4 with Bilstein PSS9 suspension), perfect size (inside and out) for me, good seating position/comfortable seats both front and rear, off-road settings work great (got through a loose pebbles beach where an off road truck (with off road tires and no load) got stuck.), the HUD (Head Up Display) works great with Lane assist and ACC info!, lane assist as such (tested it with hands off the wheel..., don't do this at home kids!), I'm surprised how the car works a lot chunkier in my garage than I expected, the design/build of the car has some interesting sculptural aspects to it (design concept with specific sharp angles/lines), that work great in pictures. LED lights work (and look) great (cornering lights, brightness etc.), though haven't actually tested the auto "Dynamic Light Assist" LED headlight settings.

Flipper Dog
29-01-2017, 08:35 AM
Had a talk with a journalist who was at the media launch of the 162 TSI yesterday and asked about the photos all being the same, similar stories and reference to common terminology.
On a media launch the manufacturer (or importer) will invite a host of journalists to a location and give then about half an hour to drive the vehicle over a pre-determine route. Prior to that they are briefed, provided a media pack and have on display a hero model/top spec model to sit in.
As a result of time limitations the possibility of photographing is not available so they use the supplied images. Stories being similar, well they all have their own check points to cover off on the test drive. This is discussed with the group while waiting around so common results can be formulated. And common terminology, the briefings normally have key points/saying than standout. Something like a GTI on stilts is a term used to attract or maintain your attention and makes for good fillers for a story.

The media launch may be a free event with all costs covered but they are under no obligation (or paid) to provide OEM propaganda.

andrew7
29-01-2017, 09:42 AM
Lack of exhaust note/no DSG farts and lesser performance than its engine donor the GTI is a serious letdown IMO. Looks like I'll be waiting for the 7.5 Golf GTI and save a few $$

IsDon
29-01-2017, 09:48 AM
The media launch may be a free event with all costs covered but they are under no obligation (or paid) to provide OEM propaganda.

The "journalists", and I use that term sarcastically, are free to say what they like. Although I'm sure their editors would have a few things to say to them though if they actually did a critical review. They probably wouldn't have a job for very long thereafter.

Fact is that the newspapers, motoring mags, and their online equivalents, get paid a lot of money by the car companies through advertising. If the commentary about their vehicle doesn't stick rigidly to the script then there will be threats to pull this advertising. Stick rigidly means cut and paste from the company supplied press release. No latitude whatsoever. That's why the terms and commentaries are so similar, they are written by the same author. The car company.

Don't believe me, where is the howling criticism from the motoring "journalists" about the new Ford Mustang? You know, the one that just recently scored two stars in the latest ANCAP crash testing. That's the same as a Great Wall ute. Scandalous! But of course you haven't heard about it because of the money Ford pays in advertising.

There's a clear conflict of interest here. Only one journalist I know of in this country provides an honest appraisal of all things motoring and that's John Cadogan. Search him out on YouTube. For aviation matters Ben Sandilands on the Crikey blog for the very same reasons.

Mac135
29-01-2017, 10:05 AM
Not sure that writers and car mags/sites have been silent on the Mustang. I have seen several reports and yes it is a very poor outcome for Ford and has been reported as such. it is true that in most reports Ford have had a 'right of reply' to defend the indefensible IMHO.

Cadogan is ok/good but is jut too evangelical. I get tired of his bluster and Schtick TBH. At times and on some issues he makes a lot of sense but he Has his favourites too.

If if these things matter to you (not you personally but people in general) then take as wide a range of views as possible. I'm never going buy a car, or not by a car because of the opinion of a Jeremy Clarkson or a John Cadogen.

REXman
29-01-2017, 11:02 AM
The "journalists", and I use that term sarcastically, are free to say what they like. Although I'm sure their editors would have a few things to say to them though if they actually did a critical review. They probably wouldn't have a job for very long thereafter.

Fact is that the newspapers, motoring mags, and their online equivalents, get paid a lot of money by the car companies through advertising. If the commentary about their vehicle doesn't stick rigidly to the script then there will be threats to pull this advertising. Stick rigidly means cut and paste from the company supplied press release. No latitude whatsoever. That's why the terms and commentaries are so similar, they are written by the same author. The car company.

Don't believe me, where is the howling criticism from the motoring "journalists" about the new Ford Mustang? You know, the one that just recently scored two stars in the latest ANCAP crash testing. That's the same as a Great Wall ute. Scandalous! But of course you haven't heard about it because of the money Ford pays in advertising.

There's a clear conflict of interest here. Only one journalist I know of in this country provides an honest appraisal of all things motoring and that's John Cadogan. Search him out on YouTube. For aviation matters Ben Sandilands on the Crikey blog for the very same reasons.

You've absolutely nailed it. I spoke to a friend who worked at a very popular AWD magazine and you are 100% correct.

You must write many positives, are allowed to write few negatives (nothing of substance) and if you didnt you would not have a job.

I'm a little disappointed at how naive I was. I thought what they wrote was legitimate. But then again what did Alborz sell his site for recently?

That's business I guess. Wish we had the option for honest review's, though.

I still rate the free online sites for a cheap and dirty look at the pertinent details like KWs, what a car weighs, photos, (fuel efficiency can't be trusted obviously), but that's it. Even then the info is wrong. One of the reviews I saw had the R Line option at $2k??

You can't really trust anything else. That's why forums like this are so important !

Regdop
30-01-2017, 07:35 PM
Here's a new one... with I think a rather refreshing review?

VW Tiguan 162TSI Highline road test and review | Noosa News (http://www.noosanews.com.au/news/vw-tiguan-162tsi-highline-road-test-and-review/3136718/)

Gladbach
30-01-2017, 07:54 PM

VW Tiguan 162TSI Highline road test and review | Noosa News (http://www.noosanews.com.au/news/vw-tiguan-162tsi-highline-road-test-and-review/3136718/)

Nice one, thanks :)

Eyes24
30-01-2017, 08:01 PM

Good one!
Thanks

Chocolate_Bear
30-01-2017, 09:05 PM

Good one mate. Agree. Definitely a refreshing review. Thanks for sharing

Delewin
31-01-2017, 05:33 AM
Agreed. Good review. Thank you Regdop.

Gladbach
31-01-2017, 03:37 PM
Another one here: https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-reviews/2017-volkswagen-tiguan-162tsi-quick-review

Sparx1981
07-02-2017, 04:55 PM
VW Tiguan 2.0 TSI 220HP / 162kW - SOUND CHECK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO1AGmRLC1Y

Eyes24
07-02-2017, 05:45 PM
VW Tiguan 2.0 TSI 220HP / 162kW - SOUND CHECK

Nice! Thanks

IsDon
07-02-2017, 05:51 PM
Stupid fake tailpipes will never win me over.

Hole46
07-02-2017, 06:33 PM
Stupid fake tailpipes will never win me over.

Unfortunately, nor me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TungstenR
08-02-2017, 07:08 AM
OOPS, the video was already posted yesterday.
BTW, on German forums I read many buy the parts of the fake exhausts/diffusor at considerable costs (about 1500 Euros), just to have the look!

Gladbach
09-02-2017, 01:41 PM
Another brief review of the 162TI.

https://www.motormag.com.au/reviews/1702/2017-volkswagen-tiguan-162tsi-review

hcvo1
09-02-2017, 09:29 PM
Interesting that the Tiguan did not pick up the ute in the AEB testing.

https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/features/1702/autonomous-emergency-braking-independent-test-results

veew
22-02-2017, 03:08 AM
2017 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV Review, Towing Claims Explored (http://www.acrvmag.com.au/2017-volkswagen-tiguan-review/)

Just has a couple more mentions about towing, VW pretty shady leaving it up to the consumer to decide how much they can tow etc. They're will be a very clear line when it comes to making a warranty claim or if you have to make an insurance claim.

Gladbach
22-02-2017, 03:33 PM
There's been a bit of discussion over whether the R-Line pack was worth it. I've read a few reviews lately which suggest that it's a must with the 162TSI, and this one probably makes the strongest case:

2017 Volkswagen Tiguan 162TSI | GoAuto - Our Opinion (http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/C08E072FC28AC2CCCA2580B30024527C)

Not sure I agree with the road noise though - the Tiguan is the most quiet of the SUV's I've driven (X1, Koleos, Tucson, Forester, CX5, ASX, and RAV4).

veew
09-03-2017, 09:52 PM
Volkswagen Tiguan 162TSI Highline R-Line v Subaru Forester XT Premium comparison (http://www.caradvice.com.au/524281/volkswagen-tiguan-162tsi-highline-r-line-v-subaru-forester-xt-premium-comparison/?source=carousel&slot=0)

Addit: Just realised it was already posted here: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f238/my-tiguan-has-arrived-my-experience-so-far-116411-30.html#post1220779

Gladbach
13-03-2017, 10:17 AM
This is a review on for the new Q2, but I enjoyed reading this quote:

"Prospective buyers should also consider the Volkswagen Tiguan 162TSI, which offers similar levels of technology, more practicality, more performance and arguably a higher-quality cabin for similar money despite the more pedestrian badge."

2017 Audi Q2 2.0 TDI Sport quattro review | CarAdvice (http://www.caradvice.com.au/524745/2017-audi-q2-2-0-tdi-sport-quattro-review/)

Mac135
14-03-2017, 01:14 PM
Sort of makes sense though don't you think. A some point the downward price positioning of products within brands like Audi must bump into the better finished versions on the VW range.

They are are far from the same product though and I think comments like that have more to do with hitting word limits than sensible insight.

Chocolate_Bear
14-03-2017, 03:56 PM
Sort of makes sense though don't you think. A some point the downward price positioning of products within brands like Audi must bump into the better finished versions on the VW range.

They are are far from the same product though and I think comments like that have more to do with hitting word limits than sensible insight.

Q2 is hitting a different market segment to Tiguan. Q5 to Tiggy is the better comparison.

Mac135
14-03-2017, 09:52 PM
Q2 is hitting a different market segment to Tiguan. Q5 to Tiggy is the better comparison.

true parked my wife's Tiguan next to my business partners q5 today. Q5 still noticeably larger but a better comparison than the Tiguan to q2

Delewin
14-03-2017, 10:02 PM
What about an optioned up Q3 vs Tiguan 162 TSI?

Mac135
15-03-2017, 07:02 AM
What about an optioned up Q3 vs Tiguan 162 TSI?

Perhaps not an equal comparison either.

Q3 is in effect a dressed up previous series Tig. It's now the best part of a decade old in terms of chassis, electronics and is not an MQB platform. New Tig based Q3 next year.

At the moment I think the Tig 162 is positioned in a space almost on its own. Clearly smaller than the Q5/MLC group, larger and more modern than the Q3, able to out perform the Mazda/Kia group of products (in 162 form at least) There might be an X3 version th,at competes more or less directly.

LibraR
18-03-2017, 06:50 PM
Hey guys SWMBO is considering a new Tiguan diesel. I am trying to find out if the DSG is the dry clutch unit (aka Golf TSI models) or the wet clutch unit similar to Audi S3 and the like. I am having trouble finding this out.

Thanks if anyone can shed light

jpvw01
18-03-2017, 09:37 PM
If you trust Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-shift_gearbox#List_of_DSG_variants

Wet

tigger73
19-03-2017, 05:38 AM
Hey guys SWMBO is considering a new Tiguan diesel. I am trying to find out if the DSG is the dry clutch unit (aka Golf TSI models) or the wet clutch unit similar to Audi S3 and the like. I am having trouble finding this out.

Thanks if anyone can shed light

Don't worry the 7 speed DSG used in the AWD Tiguan models is the DQ500 wet clutch unit. These are about 1 million times more reliable than the DQ200 7 speed dry clutch used in the Golf/Polo/Passat. etc. This is how the Tiguan also gets a 2,500kg towing capacity as the transmission is able to take that sort of additional load.

The lower end Tiguan 110TSI (petrol) with FWD gets the DQ250 6 speed wet clutch. The is still not a bad gearbox but historically still has had the odd issue.

LibraR
19-03-2017, 11:24 AM
Thanks guys I figured it might be with 400Nm but best to ask those who know. Never buying a dry clutch DSG ever again... BTW it's not just VW that has issues with dry clutch DSGs. Hopefully they go the way of the carburettor before too long... 😡

tigger73
19-03-2017, 02:12 PM
Thanks guys I figured it might be with 400Nm but best to ask those who know. Never buying a dry clutch DSG ever again... BTW it's not just VW that has issues with dry clutch DSGs. Hopefully they go the way of the carburettor before too long... ��

The reason to buy a 2.0TDI/TSI Tiguan is because VW put the DQ500 7 speed DSG in it which is rated to 600Nm. These have proven to be pretty reliable in the gen1 Tig.

The entry level 110TSI gets the 1.4TSI but only the 6 speed DQ250DSG. It's the same gearbox that VW puts in the Golf GTI/R, but if I was going to keep the car outside warranty I'd much rather the DQ500.

LibraR
19-03-2017, 05:57 PM
The reason to buy a 2.0TDI/TSI Tiguan is because VW put the DQ500 7 speed DSG in it which is rated to 600Nm. These have proven to be pretty reliable in the gen1 Tig.

The entry level 110TSI gets the 1.4TSI but only the 6 speed DQ250DSG. It's the same gearbox that VW puts in the Golf GTI/R, but if I was going to keep the car outside warranty I'd much rather the DQ500.

Good call. 140TDi is the model being considered so pretty much bullet proof hopefully. Thanks everyone for the replies 👍

TungstenR
19-03-2017, 08:31 PM
Don't worry the 7 speed DSG used in the AWD Tiguan models is the DQ500 wet clutch unit. These are about 1 million times more reliable than the DQ200 7 speed dry clutch used in the Golf/Polo/Passat. etc. This is how the Tiguan also gets a 2,500kg towing capacity as the transmission is able to take that sort of additional load.

Great point! When I discussed tuning the 162kw 2.0 TSI at the VW workshop they told me the DQ500 transmission may well handle a 500Nm (600Nm) load, but the plates might not handle it. I realise now what BS that is because of the official VW 2,500kg load rating...

Delewin
19-03-2017, 08:39 PM
Can you upgrade the DSG by adding extra plates?

tigger73
19-03-2017, 08:40 PM
Great point! When I discussed tuning the 162kw 2.0 TSI at the VW workshop they told me the DQ500 transmission may well handle a 500Nm (600Nm) load, but the plates might not handle it. I realise now what BS that is because of the official VW 2,500kg load rating...

To give you an idea on what a DQ500 can handle they put this gearbox in the Audi TT-RS.

Also Guy Harding ran a stock DQ500 gearbox (only a software upgrade) in his stage 3+ Tiguan that won Hot Tuner a few years back. That thing was pushing out some serious amount of power and the stock hardware was able to handle it no problems.

TungstenR
20-03-2017, 06:34 PM
Thanks tigger73, that's something (more) to rub under the nose of the VW workshop manager...

Gladbach
02-04-2017, 09:08 AM
Here's a review of the 162TSI highline. It's focused purely on the highline without R-Line pack, which hasn't been done too much yet.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews/volkswagen-tiguan-162tsi-highline-53927

bendor
02-04-2017, 05:24 PM
Following on from the one linked above I found another new one mentioned at the bottom of the page for the 162 with R-Line....he seems pretty stoked with it!

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews/volkswagen-tiguan-162tsi-r-line-53931#crosshead-design

Feeling even more reassured about my order now. :eek:

Chocolate_Bear
02-04-2017, 06:39 PM
Following on from the one linked above I found another new one mentioned at the bottom of the page for the 162 with R-Line....he seems pretty stoked with it!

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews/volkswagen-tiguan-162tsi-r-line-53931#crosshead-design

Nice one... the wait is bloody agonising !!!

Gladbach
02-04-2017, 08:26 PM

Thanks, I hadn't seen that. It is a pretty gushing review!

VWVY
02-04-2017, 11:11 PM
Great r-line review but am I the only one that feel that the benefits of the r-line progressive steering has always been dismissed, ignored or understated? ... I really love how much ease it brings to steer the car around turns, acute corners and 3 point turns in tight areas.

Gladbach
03-04-2017, 10:21 AM
Great r-line review but am I the only one that feel that the benefits of the r-line progressive steering has always been dismissed, ignored or understated? ... I really love how much ease it brings to steer the car around turns, acute corners and 3 point turns in tight areas.

I'm with you - hardly any of the reviews mention it and for me it's an underrated feature. It was the first thing I really noticed when I drove one. The steering feels a lot better, more dynamic and as you said, 3 point turns are really nice. I remember on the test drive I did a 3 point turn and was amazed how tight and agile it felt. It obviously doesn't make the turning circle smaller, but without having to pull the steering wheel around so many times to reach full lock, it just felt so easy. Even before I said anything, my wife turned to me and said "wow, it's really easy to turn around!". When I jumped back in my Jetta the steering felt really heavy and numb.

Can't wait to pick up the new car. Hopefully this week if I'm lucky.

veew
08-04-2017, 07:05 AM
Another one from CA: 2017 Volkswagen Tiguan 162TSI R-Line review | CarAdvice (http://www.caradvice.com.au/539735/2017-volkswagen-tiguan-162tsi-r-line-review/)

TungstenR
08-04-2017, 09:28 AM
Another one from CA: 2017 Volkswagen Tiguan 162TSI R-Line review | CarAdvice (http://www.caradvice.com.au/539735/2017-volkswagen-tiguan-162tsi-r-line-review/)

That's quite a compliment in that last line.

Gladbach
09-04-2017, 07:22 AM
That's quite a compliment in that last line.

Which last line do you mean?

TungstenR
09-04-2017, 04:02 PM
"Perhaps VW should turn up the power dial, and drop the silly name, and just go with a Tiguan R. In our SUV-above-everything market, it would be a sure-fire winner!"

TungstenR
09-04-2017, 04:07 PM
(The 162kw Tiguan R-line is electronically harnessed, which is the reason it has such a broad flat power band. If unharnessed it would be in proper R space.)

Gladbach
09-04-2017, 06:35 PM
"Perhaps VW should turn up the power dial, and drop the silly name, and just go with a Tiguan R. In our SUV-above-everything market, it would be a sure-fire winner!"

I guess I didn't see it so much as a compliment, but more as a recommendation. It's kind of like the teacher telling the parent that their child has so much potential, they just need to apply themselves.

Gladbach
09-04-2017, 06:42 PM
(The 162kw Tiguan R-line is electronically harnessed, which is the reason it has such a broad flat power band. If unharnessed it would be in proper R space.)

I'm in two minds with the performance. The smooth, linear deliver of the power suits a classy vehicle with plenty of power, but the edginess of the R-Line aesthetics lend more towards more raw performance. I'm not especially disappointed with the performance, there's glimpses of promise in what I've felt so far (not pushing it too hard), but I have to admit, I feel like there's a tamed lion inside the hood that's restrained at the moment. I recon a stage 1 tune would turn this car into a something really fun.

Tig162
10-04-2017, 09:07 PM
Another positive review from CarsGuide:
https://youtu.be/RV1AKD54FIc

Tig162
10-04-2017, 09:23 PM
... and CarAdvice review:

https://youtu.be/bWLz23glXMU

Sorry if these have been posted elsewhere.

Gladbach
11-04-2017, 01:22 PM
Another positive review from CarsGuide:
https://youtu.be/RV1AKD54FIc

How excited is that guy!

Eyes24
11-04-2017, 04:07 PM
How excited is that guy!

Good review!

Mac135
11-04-2017, 09:49 PM
I'm in two minds with the performance. The smooth, linear deliver of the power suits a classy vehicle with plenty of power, but the edginess of the R-Line aesthetics lend more towards more raw performance. I'm not especially disappointed with the performance, there's glimpses of promise in what I've felt so far (not pushing it too hard), but I have to admit, I feel like there's a tamed lion inside the hood that's restrained at the moment. I recon a stage 1 tune would turn this car into a something really fun.

Think you you will find the performance will improve- sound I'm not so confident about. Now ours is past it first 1,500km it is opening up.

bendor
19-04-2017, 11:58 AM
If you are like me and are waiting on your Tig to arrive, I'm constantly wanting a video fix of my car in the same colour and spec as ordered, then the following is a link to an Italian video I found, admittedly its the TDI140 but it seems in Italy they get the same wheels and exhausts that our TSI162 R-Lines get, but most importantly (for me anyway!) it shows it in Indium Grey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w24aViYxYr4&index=4&list=PLr4zlUg7Db1Phni03QtENNGD_mXwf-T4y

For some reason its not a popular colour for reviews, personally I think it looks great, much better than the black which I checked out in the flesh at my dealer. The R-Line pack is a bit wasted on the black as the body kit blends in too well IMO.

Cheers
B.

Gladbach
19-04-2017, 01:32 PM
If you are like me and are waiting on your Tig to arrive, I'm constantly wanting a video fix of my car in the same colour and spec as ordered, then the following is a link to an Italian video I found, admittedly its the TDI140 but it seems in Italy they get the same wheels and exhausts that our TSI162 R-Lines get, but most importantly (for me anyway!) it shows it in Indium Grey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w24aViYxYr4&index=4&list=PLr4zlUg7Db1Phni03QtENNGD_mXwf-T4y

For some reason its not a popular colour for reviews, personally I think it looks great, much better than the black which I checked out in the flesh at my dealer. The R-Line pack is a bit wasted on the black as the body kit blends in too well IMO.

Cheers
B.

I agree mate, the grey looks great (only seen it in the CarAdvice video though, not in the flesh). Mine is white, but if I had to choose another colour it would be the grey.

Chocolate_Bear
19-04-2017, 02:06 PM

Cheers
B.

Grey is nice ..

I actually went black because it blended in so well.. my preference is a better blend.. looks that bit classier that way in my opinion but everyone has their own preferences in the end. As long as you are happy with what you have.. that's all that matters. Oh.. if only this wait was not so damn long!!!

Tiguan 162tsi Rline fully loaded (June 2017) - NSW, Northern Beaches

Eyes24
19-04-2017, 02:55 PM
I agree mate, the grey looks great (only seen it in the CarAdvice video though, not in the flesh). Mine is white, but if I had to choose another colour it would be the grey.

We choose the indium grey, and was lucky to see it in RLINE form.

bendor
19-04-2017, 03:35 PM
Grey is nice ..

I actually went black because it blended in so well.. my preference is a better blend.. looks that bit classier that way in my opinion but everyone has their own preferences in the end. As long as you are happy with what you have.. that's all that matters. Oh.. if only this wait was not so damn long!!!

Dont get me wrong, my current Tig is black so that was also a factor re not getting the black despite being available there and then (at $65k no discounts!!), it was just too much like the current one!

Eyes24
19-04-2017, 03:39 PM
Dont get me wrong, my current Tig is black so that was also a factor re not getting the black despite being available there and then (at $65k no discounts!!), it was just too much like the current one!

Hi Ben! Gee they really bend you over in Sydney on price.

Schland77
19-04-2017, 04:32 PM

Cheers
B.

I got my 162TSI Rline in grey now for a couple of months and trust me you won't be disappointed with the car or color

Gladbach
20-04-2017, 11:10 AM
New article released this morning: http://www.motoring.com.au/volkswagen-tiguan-2017-review-106901/

bendor
20-04-2017, 12:27 PM
Hi Ben! Gee they really bend you over in Sydney on price.

Yeah they were in full "rape mode" on that one as it was a Corporate order that had fallen through so it was sitting on the showroom floor with no owner all of a sudden, they knew it would sell so "No Discounts"!

I ended up ordering our grey one fully loaded elsewhere for $58.4k including corporate membership discount.

Eyes24
20-04-2017, 03:01 PM
Yeah they were in full "rape mode" on that one as it was a Corporate order that had fallen through so it was sitting on the showroom floor with no owner all of a sudden, they knew it would sell so "No Discounts"!

I ended up ordering our grey one fully loaded elsewhere for $58.4k including corporate membership discount.

Nice one, same as mine[emoji108]

bendor
20-04-2017, 06:41 PM
Nice one, same as mine[emoji108]

Yeah I know, and I believe yours arrives a month or two before mine so I'm relying on you for my photo fix in my last waiting stage!

Eyes24
20-04-2017, 07:10 PM
Yeah I know, and I believe yours arrives a month or two before mine so I'm relying on you for my photo fix in my last waiting stage!

No worries mate!

TheTig
22-04-2017, 12:17 AM
An edit of a recent review broken up into 5 reasons to buy an R-line https://youtu.be/uY45dZhPRdo

Eyes24
23-04-2017, 09:22 AM
https://www.facebook.com/VolkswagenAustralia/videos/10155055535024003/

Pzero
27-04-2017, 07:25 PM
New and extremely detailed review of the top spec diesel..
2016 Volkswagen Tiguan 140TDI Highline AWD | GoAuto - Our Opinion (http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/E11A1A4A246E4EE1CA25810D001ECF17)

bendor
20-05-2017, 12:25 PM
One I hadnt seen before...

ROAD TEST AND REVIEW VW TIGUAN 162TSI (http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/vw-builds-a-hot-rod-suv/news-story/199aea3d0f81b399ad5e5c066c0778a2)

Chocolate_Bear
20-05-2017, 07:04 PM
One I hadnt seen before...

ROAD TEST AND REVIEW VW TIGUAN 162TSI (http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/vw-builds-a-hot-rod-suv/news-story/199aea3d0f81b399ad5e5c066c0778a2)

Nice one mate! Thanks for sharing

TheTig
26-05-2017, 09:48 PM
Another review - Volkswagen Tiguan 132TSI Comfortline 2017 review: long term video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS5YensWbKs

bendor
28-05-2017, 11:24 AM
And now Drive has spoken....a bit muddled to be honest plus he got the add-on pricing wrong....but Tiguan wins :)

Mazda CX-5 v Volkswagen Tiguan v Ford Escape v Nissan X-Trail comparison review (http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-reviews/mazda-cx5-v-volkswagen-tiguan-v-ford-escape-v-nissan-xtrail-comparison-review-20170523-gwb7re.html)

Vwvw1212
28-05-2017, 06:33 PM
And now Drive has spoken....a bit muddled to be honest plus he got the add-on pricing wrong....but Tiguan wins :)

Mazda CX-5 v Volkswagen Tiguan v Ford Escape v Nissan X-Trail comparison review (http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-reviews/mazda-cx5-v-volkswagen-tiguan-v-ford-escape-v-nissan-xtrail-comparison-review-20170523-gwb7re.html)
Good review. All good cars. Tiguan wins of course 😀

marcuskmt
28-05-2017, 06:39 PM
Good review. All good cars. Tiguan wins of course 😀

The video version had the cx5 win because the Tiguan was too expensive.

bendor
28-05-2017, 07:47 PM
The video version had the cx5 win because the Tiguan was too expensive.

Lol was it still quoting the wrong pricing for the adding packages?

TIGER+IGUANA
01-06-2017, 12:40 AM
Couple new reviews from Chasing Cars. These guys love the Tiguan. Apologies if these have been posted, don't think I've seen them here yet though.

110 TDI Comfortline
https://youtu.be/9SF-GAQdLlg

140 TDI Highline v Mazda CX-5 Akera
https://youtu.be/tHwyGqdHPEE

Gladbach
01-06-2017, 02:52 AM
Couple new reviews from Chasing Cars. These guys love the Tiguan. Apologies if these have been posted, don't think I've seen them here yet though.

110 TDI Comfortline
https://youtu.be/9SF-GAQdLlg

140 TDI Highline v Mazda CX-5 Akera
https://youtu.be/tHwyGqdHPEE

I quite like chasing cars, they are young and independent and seem to offer slightly different angles to the big boys.

TIGER+IGUANA
01-06-2017, 11:07 AM
I quite like chasing cars, they are young and independent and seem to offer slightly different angles to the big boys.

Agree, really good reviews. I also like the quality of their videography. They really put a lot of creative time and effort into some of their productions.

TIGER+IGUANA
08-06-2017, 09:50 PM
Volkswagen Will Keep Selling the Old Tiguan Alongside the New Tiguan - The Drive (http://www.thedrive.com/news/11182/volkswagen-will-keep-selling-the-old-tiguan-alongside-the-new-tiguan)

Interesting write up on the original Tig being retained in a limited capacity alongside the updated model. Notably though, the article refers to the new Tig being built in Mexico [emoji1166] in future.

FirstTimeDubber
09-06-2017, 07:21 AM
Volkswagen Will Keep Selling the Old Tiguan Alongside the New Tiguan - The Drive (http://www.thedrive.com/news/11182/volkswagen-will-keep-selling-the-old-tiguan-alongside-the-new-tiguan)

Interesting write up on the original Tig being retained in a limited capacity alongside the updated model. Notably though, the article refers to the new Tig being built in Mexico [emoji1166] in future.

Can't see that taking off in our market. Aussies won't buy a new/old Tiggy when there are plenty of second hand ones available

My understanding is the Mexico factory will be making the Tiguan XL (the longer wheel base) which is the only model being sold into the US. Makes sense to build it in Mexico to cut down shipping costs.

The will continue to build the standard wheel base new Tiggy in Germany

TIGER+IGUANA
09-06-2017, 09:30 AM
Can't see that taking off in our market. Aussies won't buy a new/old Tiggy when there are plenty of second hand ones available

My understanding is the Mexico factory will be making the Tiguan XL (the longer wheel base) which is the only model being sold into the US. Makes sense to build it in Mexico to cut down shipping costs.

The will continue to build the standard wheel base new Tiggy in Germany

Makes sense. Had no idea about a long wheelbase version. Had a look, I think the extended wheelbase pushes the aesthetics and proportions too far. Doesn't have the same elegant stance as the current version at all.

Pzero
09-06-2017, 06:07 PM
Totally agree. Doesn't look good long!

bendor
13-06-2017, 08:28 PM
Not so much of a review but seems to be the German release of the 2018 model along with the new electric hybrid GTE version. Not sure what the info about the engine update is by the uploader but havent heard it mentioned anywhere else?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVRwHDa1EyI&feature=em-subs_digest-vrecs

Gladbach
16-06-2017, 11:23 AM
Here's another review of the 162TSI.

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-reviews/2017-volkswagen-tiguan-162tsi-highline-review/

It's quite critical actually..

Chocolate_Bear
16-06-2017, 06:56 PM
Here's another review of the 162TSI.

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-reviews/2017-volkswagen-tiguan-162tsi-highline-review/

It's quite critical actually..

Thanks Gladbach. Very interesting read. How do you and the others that own a 162TSI relate to the comments made? Not sure about his take on the power based on what I have read on this forum to date. Curious to know what others think that actually own the car.

JPBJK
16-06-2017, 10:45 PM
I've been reading reviews and comments flat out. This one was detailed.

http://www.carconversation.com.au/reviews/2017-volkswagen-tiguan-132tsi-comfortline-dsg

This looks to be the a good spot in the range. I will need to drive a few different spec levels.

veew
17-06-2017, 09:29 AM
Very few reviewers (except the carconversation.com.au review in the previous post) state the minimum and maximum boot capacities. Some just state outright the boot space is 615L which most of the time with people's use is 520L to high 500s.
Anyway just a bit of a nit to pick when I see these reviews.

JPBJK
17-06-2017, 06:24 PM
There are lots of good reviews on that website http://www.carconversation.com.au/reviews and i thought the Tiguan one was one of the better reviews I've read.

Gladbach
05-10-2017, 04:22 PM
Here's another comparison between the Forrester XT and the 162TSI.

2017 Subaru XT Premium Vs 2017 Volkswagen Tiguan 162 TSI Highline – Which is Best? | Practical Motoring (https://practicalmotoring.com.au/comparison-tests/2017-subaru-xt-premium-vs-2017-volkswagen-tiguan-162-tsi-highline-best/)

tigger73
10-12-2017, 09:57 PM
2017 Drive Car of the Year - Winner Best Small SUV: Volkswagen Tiguan 110TSI Trendline

Best Small SUV: Mazda CX-5 Maxx Sport Auto vs. Volkswagen Tiguan 110TSI Trendline vs. Honda CR-V VTi-S (https://www.drive.com.au/new-car-reviews/2017-drive-car-of-the-year--best-small-suv-116317.html?trackLink=articleResults10)

Cobwebs
15-12-2017, 06:52 PM
2017 Drive Car of the Year - Winner Best Small SUV: Volkswagen Tiguan 110TSI Trendline

Best Small SUV: Mazda CX-5 Maxx Sport Auto vs. Volkswagen Tiguan 110TSI Trendline vs. Honda CR-V VTi-S (https://www.drive.com.au/new-car-reviews/2017-drive-car-of-the-year--best-small-suv-116317.html?trackLink=articleResults10)

"Like the Golf, the seven-speed dual-clutch automatic still displays some of the gremlins associated with transmissions of its type, like a degree of hesitation away from a standstill"

Interesting comment! At standstill a DCT is in 1st already. There can be no hestitation from the gearbox. And then when you accelerate a DCT changes gears in a matter of milliseconds, faster than a manual or auto i.e. no hesitation.

Our motoring media have showed their ineptitude again. Hesitation can come from the engine having insufficient revs. Don't blame DCT just because that is what our 'experienced' testers have done this in the past.

Maybe they just wanted a negative for the Tig. If so, find the real reason.

Hole46
15-12-2017, 07:11 PM
"Like the Golf, the seven-speed dual-clutch automatic still displays some of the gremlins associated with transmissions of its type, like a degree of hesitation away from a standstill"

Interesting comment! At standstill a DCT is in 1st already. There can be no hestitation from the gearbox. And then when you accelerate a DCT changes gears in a matter of milliseconds, faster than a manual or auto i.e. no hesitation.

Our motoring media have showed their ineptitude again. Hesitation can come from the engine having insufficient revs. Don't blame DCT just because that is what our 'experienced' testers have done this in the past.

Most “motoring” writers are just a bunch of opinionated twits!

Sydneykid
18-12-2017, 09:06 AM
In 7 years of VW DSG driving I haven't experienced once what I would remotely consider "DSG hesitation", where the gearbox is responsible. But very rarely I get what I consider to be throttle by wire delay, where the engine doesn't respond instantly to throttle inputs. It requires a particular combination of circumstances, stop start traffic, with what looks like it's going to be just another a start, roll forward slowly, stop situation but the car in front moves off swiftly just as the engine is idling down. Although I have my foot off the throttle and on the brake pedal, I haven't actually applied the brakes. As a result of the car in front moving of briskly, just as I was about to come to a stop, I apply the throttle quickly and it feels like the drive by wire throttle doesn't respond. There's slight delay, not a long time, fractions of a second, but it is noticeable. It's almost certainly not DSG delay as the engine doesn't rev up, as it would if the gearbox was in neutral or the clutch disengaged. It's the engine that doesn't respond, not the gearbox.

It's quite a unique set of circumstances such that it doesn't happen all that often, not even once a month. Plus I have learnt to look out for it and either apply the brakes or use a gentler prod on the throttle.

Merry Xmas to all
Gary

mudguts
09-01-2018, 11:31 AM
2018 Volkswagen Tiguan 132tsi Adventure Review

2018 Volkswagen Tiguan 132TSi Adventure review | Special Edition Is Packed With Value (https://www.themotorreport.com.au/car-article/new-car-reviews/2018-volkswagen-tiguan-132tsi-adventure-review---special-edition-is-packed-with-value-116797.html)

Jackson22
09-01-2018, 01:25 PM
2018 Volkswagen Tiguan 132tsi Adventure Review

2018 Volkswagen Tiguan 132TSi Adventure review | Special Edition Is Packed With Value (https://www.themotorreport.com.au/car-article/new-car-reviews/2018-volkswagen-tiguan-132tsi-adventure-review---special-edition-is-packed-with-value-116797.html)

thanks. sounds good.. Hope it works out as good as the reviews!

OZROD
22-01-2018, 04:27 PM
Here's a good comparison review from Wheels.
Holden Equinox LTZ v Honda CR-V VTi-LX v Mazda CX-5 GT v Nissan X-Trail Ti v Peugeot 3008 GT-Line v VW Tiguan Adventure | Wheels (https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/reviews/car-comparisons/1801/holden-equinox-v-honda-cr-v-v-mazda-cx-5-v-nissan-x-trail-v-peugeot-3008-v-vw-tiguan-comparison)

Jackson22
25-01-2018, 07:56 AM
Good review of Tiguan Adventure http://www.caradvice.com.au/owner-reviews/2017-volkswagen-tiguan-110-tdi-adventure-special-ed-review/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share (https://t.co/IsiI23lSxM)

OZROD
27-02-2018, 10:04 AM
Here's a new 4 way comparison with the Equinox, CX-5 and RAV4.
Holden Equinox v Volkswagen Tiguan v Mazda CX-5 v Toyota RAV4 comparison review (https://www.drive.com.au/new-car-reviews/holden-equinox-v-volkswagen-tiguan-v-mazda-cx-5-v-toyota-rav4-comparison-review-117298.html?trackLink=articleResults4Reviews)

Transporter
27-02-2018, 12:21 PM
Reading it made me realise that the Holden is a very unique car manufacturer who doesn’t manufacture their own cars. :?