PDA

View Full Version : 206TSI looses by default

Fridgie877
16-09-2016, 08:19 PM
So the ultimate wisdom of the Center for road safety in NSW has deemed the 206TSI unsafe for a p plater to drive. Both the sedan and estate come under the 130kw per tonne limit as well as not having excessive torque.

So a vehicle that is under the power to weight ratio allowed, all wheel drive, has more airbags and safety features than you can poke a stick at is unsafe for a p plater..... but a holden sv6 that has the same power to weight ratio (give or take a kw), is rear wheel drive, does not have the safety features that the 206 has, can be bought with a limited slip diff and a manual gear box is deemed safe for p platers.... do you see p platers doing burnouts in their 65k awd passat or their 40k rwd commondore?

Yet again the government amazes me, it is in the rms clause as to what the reasons are a vehicle will be deemed unsafe.... and the 206tsi ticks none of them..... oh and i forgot, every single other state or territory has deemed it SAFE.....

I may be the only p plater wanting a passat 206tsi but its what i like and what will suit me and my young family best. I am very annoyed lol. Waiting on a call back from the center for road safety as to why and how this was clasified unsafe

The_Hawk
16-09-2016, 09:09 PM
I thought things got better when they did away with the arbitrary "turbo's are bad" with the power to weight thing... seems the insanity continues. You can always try applying for an exemption?

tigger73
16-09-2016, 09:24 PM
So is the Tiguan 162TSI R-line looking a better proposition now then??

Or perhaps the 140TDI.... lol

Fridgie877
17-09-2016, 06:42 AM
So is the Tiguan 162TSI R-line looking a better proposition now then??

Or perhaps the 140TDI.... lol

Haha, this would be correct indeed. The 162 if i can be guaranteed delivery before april if not then the 140. I was leaning more towards the 206 which is a shame :(.

Hawk, i was told by the rms that in order for me to get an exemption, i would have to own the vehicle and have to have a genuine reason..... even the its not a sure thing i would get it. So a bit of a risk

tigger73
17-09-2016, 09:14 AM
I'd say it would be a big risk to buy the 206TSI and then hope to get the approval. At the end of the day it's up to how the person doing the assessment feels on the day...

I think the rules are more to allow family members to drive a family car rather than if you're going out and purchasing something for yourself. They would be well within the rules to force you to sell the car and buy something "P" plate approved. About the only way I could see it happening is if you lived at with your parents and/or with someone that was on a full license and the car was registered in their name.

The 162TSI Tiguan is still a very nice car - not quite as quick as the 206TSI Passat but with the R-line kit looks pretty killer.

notflyingscot
18-09-2016, 01:52 PM
You got long to wait till you come of your P's? Really need the car change ASAP? Wouldn't you be paying a hell of an insurance premium to get cover for a 206 while on P's?

Fridgie877
18-09-2016, 02:38 PM
You got long to wait till you come of your P's? Really need the car change ASAP? Wouldn't you be paying a hell of an insurance premium to get cover for a 206 while on P's?

Coming off a very long disqualification so i have to start green ps again, so 2 years. Insurance goes in my partners name and im down as a driver. Cheap as chips. Plus we get a bit of a discount because we will have 6 policies when i get it.

Hillbilly
18-09-2016, 05:59 PM
Coming off a very long disqualification so i have to start green ps again, so 2 years. Insurance goes in my partners name and im down as a driver. Cheap as chips. Plus we get a bit of a discount because we will have 6 policies when i get it.

Hopefully you will reveal your driving history as you should and not rort the system. To get insurance in partners name it would have to be registered as such as well I would think.

Fridgie877
18-09-2016, 06:05 PM
Hopefully you will reveal your driving history as you should and not rort the system. To get insurance in partners name it would have to be registered as such as well I would think.

Not a rort, it will be in her name because her brother is sales manager at a vw dealership so she will get it at cost price, and i will be down as the main driver.

FastGolfR
20-03-2017, 12:46 PM
You are expecting logic from a Govt Department?

Passat206
08-12-2017, 11:03 AM
I'm also looking into the 206 as a P plater but really disappointed.im still thinking of buying it for Bussiness and getting an exemption with the ABN any recommendations? Any news from the RMS?

Passat206
08-12-2017, 11:04 AM
Any news from the centre for road safety?

Rocket36
16-01-2018, 12:48 PM
Solution: 140 TDI Highline with R-Line pack and Luxury pack. It's what I did. I commute 120km a day, half country, half city. The diesel option made more sense to me.

Hillbilly
16-01-2018, 06:48 PM
Whats loose about them anyway.

They lose out and you will lose out as Insurance ask for driving history for past 5 years or they did when I reinsured my wifes Polo yesterday so best be honest or you may end up with no car should you prang it

With your admitted record it may not be as cheap as you think How old are you for starters.

DR074
17-01-2018, 09:32 PM
Any news from the centre for road safety?
I think you are fubar'd until you either do one of the below;
1. Wait until you get your full license
2. Pick another car
3. Move to any other state
However, they are worth the wait