PDA

View Full Version : Adaptive Cruise Control / Lane Assist

Gladbach
15-09-2016, 07:50 PM
So I'm a little confused. I was aware of a feature called Traffic Jam Assist that's available in Passats. It's described in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2jAwRAXu6Q

I think it's awesome, I sit in a stretch of bumper to bumper traffic every morning (literally only moving every few minutes, and gaining about 20 meters each movement) . It takes about 20 minutes to get through a particular intersection.

That feature isn't listed in VW's glossary though: Technical glossary < Volkswagen Technology & Service | VW Australia (http://www.volkswagen.com.au/en/technology_and_service/technical-glossary.html)

The latest Volkswagen magazine describes the following in the new Tiguan article (page 13): "Volkswagen's latest Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) system is an optional extra that can help take the frustration our of stop-start traffic. It works in league with an improved Lane Assist feature that can steer errant cars back onto the right path." Now, the way they describe that in the first sentence sounds a lot like Traffic Jam Assist, which I've always pictured as a combination between ACC and Lane Assist (i.e. maintain a distance between the car in front, and automatically steer the wheel to stay within the lane)."

Anyone know if that actually translates to the traffic jam assist feature? I thought ACC only worked over certain speeds like traditional cruise control, but according to the glossary "brake intervention takes place, braking the vehicle to a standstill if the traffic situation necessitates ". Although, the Lane Assist feature apparently doesn't activate vehicle speed of less than 65km/h.

From the glossary:

ACC:
Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) is an extension of the conventional cruise control system with advanced capabilities based on a radar sensor. When ACC is activated, the vehicle automatically brakes and accelerates in a speed range set by the driver. If the vehicle approaches a slower vehicle, the ACC brakes the car to the same speed and maintains the pre-selected distance. Even when a vehicle pulls into the same lane in front of you or slows, your vehicle is automatically decelerated to the pre-selected distance. If the vehicle ahead moves out of your lane, the vehicle then accelerates up to the preset desired speed. Deceleration of the vehicle may take place via intervention in the engine management system. If deceleration via engine torque is not sufficient, brake intervention takes place, braking the vehicle to a standstill if the traffic situation necessitates (Automatic Models).

Lane Assist:
Lane Assist is a lane departure warning system that is designed to help reduce the likelihood of the vehicle leaving the road or crossing into an oncoming lane and therefore the risk of accident as a result of driver distraction or a lapse in concentration. The Lane Assist system monitors the road ahead with the aid of a camera (located near the interior rear-view mirror) which recognises lane markings and evaluates the position of the vehicle. If the vehicle starts to leave the lane, the Lane Assist system takes corrective steering action or vibration depending on model. If this is not sufficient the driver is warned about the situation by a steering vibration and is asked to take over the steering. Additionally, if no active steering movements by the driver are recognised for longer than approximately 8 seconds, a message will appear in the Multi-Function Display in conjunction with a warning tone. The corrective steering function can be overridden by the driver at any time and the system does not react if the turn indicator is set before crossing a lane marking. Lane Assist cannot replace the driver’s attentiveness. The driver is still legally responsible for the vehicle and therefore staying in the lane at all times. The system will not work if there are no recognisable lane markings. The camera vision can be reduced by rain, snow, heavy spray or oncoming lights. This and vehicles in front of you can lead to the lane markings not being recognised by the Lane Assist system. The Lane Assist system does not activate at a vehicle speed of less than 65km/h.

NZ_GolfR
15-09-2016, 07:59 PM
Have a look at page 5 on the following document:

http://media.vw.com/doc/1603/volkswagen_reveals_all-new_european_tiguan_at_the_frankfurt_international _motor_show-tiguan_frankfurt-209208172555f6d21c48042.pdf

"The top Highline trim is also equipped with adaptive cruise control (ACC), which utilizes radar to accelerate orbrake the Tiguan and thus always maintain the correct distance to traffic ahead. If the SUV is equipped withDSG® in addition to ACC, it automatically handles stop-and-go traffic as well (traffic jam assist). Other Tiguandriver assistance systems include the optional Side Assist (lane-changing assistant), Pre-Crash proactiveoccupant protection (detects elevated collision potential, tensions the front seatbelts to preventively restrainthe driver and front passenger and closes open windows and the sunroof to just a small gap), EmergencyAssist (recognises if the driver is no longer responsive and brakes the car to a stop) and Area View (360 degreeall-round view using four cameras that is especially useful off-road)."

This is from an old product release from 2015 for the Frankfurt Motor Show but assume it is still relevant.

Gladbach
15-09-2016, 08:09 PM
Sounds very promising. I would absolutely love that feature. I hope it is in the Aussie highlines (and NZ for your sake). It is a pretty cool feature that, apart from the magazine, hasn't been promoted much in all of the articles I've read so far. If I were VW it would be one of the features at the top of my list to promote.

I'd ask a dealer but they are so vague about the features and tech that I wouldn't trust them either way anyway.

Ozsko
15-09-2016, 08:58 PM
I don't know if it is the bells and whistles TJA in the Tiguan but I would be impressed if it was as I ordered a 162 today. We also have a GTI Performance with ACC and to a limited extent it will stop and start in traffic but if it is stopped for more than five seconds it has to be moved off the mark by the driver and ACC enabled again and the car does not self steer. True TJA steers the car as well as stops and re-starts the car as needed if my understanding is correct. I spoke to the salesman today about this and he had never heard of TJA though it is in the Skoda Superb and some Audis I believe.

This link is a live driving demo https://youtu.be/HbuXN8ViiPk

Gladbach
15-09-2016, 09:27 PM
I know someone with an Audi that has it and she loves it but I haven't experienced it myself. I had thought that perhaps the reason why it's not in the Australian glossary is because it hasn't been released/approved here yet, but the fact that the Audi's have it makes that less likely.

The video is cool, thanks. I assume Bosch license the technology to various car manufacturers.

Ozsko
15-09-2016, 09:35 PM
Skoda have it as well, whether the Tiguan has it is open to debate it seems. I would not be surprised if it is in the car electronics thingo and not enabled. I could have driven a car with ACC today, that was before we had a major disagreement about the deal and he lost.

Gladbach
15-09-2016, 10:53 PM
There's also this page (last page in the magazine) that talks about ACC:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/09/2lkpshi-2.jpg

Ozsko
15-09-2016, 11:04 PM
ACC is awesome. I have done hundreds of K's using it and it takes all the button pressing out of the equation but at the same time if you are not alert it will hold you behind a slower vehicle without the driver realising it.

Digger11
08-12-2016, 08:54 PM
I have the adaptive cruise on my Macan and love it. Would be the first option i would tick on any new car.
Not that useful in peak hour traaffic as even on the closest distance, other drivers still cut in front causing the ACC to panic and slam the anchors on.
I find it more useful on longer trips where i set it to max. Distance and on 102 or 112kmh and it just cruises along and slows down if a slower car is in front.
I love the new Tiguan but am waiting on the etron version to firstly be made and secondly to be exported over here.

Delewin
08-12-2016, 09:21 PM
Hi All, I have had first-hand experience with Adaptive Cruise Control on a Gen 2 Tiguan 132 TSI with DAP. It is the DAP option that brings ACC into the car along with all other safety features.

When I test drove this car I set the ACC to 60Km/h and 5 seconds gap. This is the largest gap I think(?) I wanted the biggest safety margin in case it did not do as I expected.

It worked very well.

The trip went as follows:
I headed into heavy traffic along Pittwater road. The car accelerated automatically keeping a safe distance to the car in front. When the car in front slowed down, my car automatically followed and slowed down keeping the safe distance.

In the event that the car in front stopped my car stopped. If the car in front started again within 3 seconds of stopping, my car automatically took off as well.

If the car in front stopped for longer than 3 seconds, my car turned off the motor and disengaged the ACC. When I pressed the accelerator the engine immediately restarted. ( The ACC was still disengaged.) I simply pressed the button on the steering wheel to re-engage the ACC and it took over. All I had to do was steer.

It really blew me away.

I believe the DAP option should be standard on the entire range of Tiguans and I believe this will happen with the first "face-lift" series 2 possibly coming in 2018/19.

I hope this explanation has been of assistance.

Gladbach
09-12-2016, 09:43 AM
Thanks Delewin. I'm really looking forward to using ACC. I commute from Dee Why to North Ryde every morning and the traffic along Warringah Rd is bumper to bumper. I have tendonitis in my right leg from playing a lot of football, so constantly switching from accelerator to brake is really annoying. ACC is a major reason why I decided on the Tiguan. It took a bit of research and input to determine exactly how it works, but it really seems like an undervalued feature that takes the vehicle into semi-autonomous driving territory. I looked at some other vehicles with ACC/radar cruise control, but most of them don't operate under a certain speed.

Ozsko
09-12-2016, 10:22 AM
Traffic jam assist is what you need, it takes ACC and moves it up a notch so that the car stops, starts and steers itself in traffic with no driver input at all. Both Passat and Skoda Superb have it, I am not sure about the Octavia.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbuXN8ViiPk

Gladbach
09-12-2016, 12:38 PM
Yeah, that's how the thread started. I had seen traffic jam assist (a video for the Passat) and a friend of mine who has an Audi Q7 with that feature was talking about it. I was originally trying to work out whether the Tiguan actually had traffic jam assist, because at the time there was no feature list available. I don't really care about having to steer, and also don't mind so much if I have to press a button on the steering wheel to re-engage it, the fact that I don't have to constantly move between accelerator and brake pedals will make a big difference. I wouldn't use it all the time, just in a particular stretch of traffic that I commute in every day.

Mysticality
09-12-2016, 01:48 PM
I spoke to the salesman today about this and he had never heard of TJA though it is in the Skoda Superb and some Audis I believe.

Traffic Jam Assist only on the Superb when equipped with Tech Pack.
Adaptive Cruise standard on every Superb and Octavia.

cameleon72
27-10-2017, 11:48 PM
Hello Need some help and information form more advanced users like DV52 and others :), I have Tiguan 132tsi Comfortline with no DAP with standard cruise control and A5 camera standard fitted sign recognition. I am wondering if My Tiguan is hardware capable for ACC , I checked couple VCDS scans of Tiguan with ACC and looks like module 13 hardware and software so far is the the same as on my Tiguan . I want to upgrade from Cruise Control to ACC, is it possible to do simple by coding in modules by VCDS or Vag Can Pro and if yes than which ones and instructions or help? I need also technical information regarding ACC buttons on on steering wheel, I noticed is same layout and numbers of buttons as Cruise control Steering wheel except ACC version have like Car assist icon in middle and my button instead has in the middle cursor CL icon , I know this buttons are exchangeable swappable use same number wires and connectors ,is any difference between 2 version of buttons, is difference only icon picture on the middle button or inside of this buttons housing PCB has some real chip which is programed to have specific ACC function or Cruise Control ? , if is just buttons with same function and layout than can I use same buttons or need to buy new ACC buttons Set and exchange ? , and what else need to be changed , hope ABS pump is the same and compatible . I can do full scan of modules if is needed to compare with someone Tiguan 132TFSI or 162TSI with DAP and ACC .If some hardware change is required I will need information which hardware I will need to proceed with retrofit if someone can help with ACC retrofit information's for Tiguan II . Next project will be also Areaview 360 retrofit already purchased STG module waiting for wiring to can getaway and pin out diagram and cameras cables :), also want to upgrade from Halogen headlights to OEM Full led, headlights are on the way with levelling sensors and AFS module ( any help for coding from Halogen to Full LED and sourcing correct adapter wiring and installation information more than welcome). Thx in advance