PDA

View Full Version : Tiptronic Gearbox ATF information

gldgti
09-09-2016, 07:49 PM
Hi All,
I have done a fair bit of research since I have owned my 2 allroads about the tiptronic gearboxes, specifically the 5hp19 (C5, B5 platform cars) and 6hp19 (C6 etc) so I thought it would be good to condense some information here, maybe to help someone out in future.

Overview

5hp19
The 5hp 19 is a very common gearbox, used on a lot of VW, audi, porche and BMW. The 5hp19 is essentially a derated version of the 5hp24, produced by ZF transmissions. Its rated to a max input torque of 350Nm (FL) and 400Nm (FLA).

In audi VW, we are concerned with the 5hp19 FLA (all wheel drive) and FL (front wheel drive).

The 5hp is not so finicky about fluid as the newer 6hp, and there are lots of ZF approved lubricants made by various reputable lubricant manufacturers. All you really need to worry about is that the fluid is 'equivalent' to ZF lifeguard 5. You can get a comprehensive list of approved fluids from ZF's website.

Oil filter change kits can be bought relatively easily and cheaply for this gearbox. You can usually get a filter and pan gasket for about $60, and the fluid can be as cheap as $10/L. You want to have about 7 litres handy for a fluid change.

6hp19
The 6hp 19 is (you guessed it) a derated version of the 6hp24. The 6hp19A is the all wheel drive version. The A version is rated to a maximum input torque of 450Nm. For this model box, it can be a bit tricikier to find the correct sump pan gasket and filter, because unlike the 5hp19, there are quite a lot of variants.

The best way to determine the correct gasket is to have a look at your pan. There are 13 and 26? bolt versions for the audi applications.... just get under there and have a look. Theres pretty much no way to tell other than that that I've found so far.

While you are there, undo the sump plug carefully and drain (carefully) 20-30ml out into a cup or jar so you can have a look at it. Why? Well, a few reasons:
1) You need to determine whether you car has Lifeguard 6 fluid (yellow), or Lifeguard 8 (green and or blue)
2) You want to see whether it is burnt (black and smelly) or just old (slightly opaque)
Obviously if you spill half a liter of fluid, you might not want to drive anywhere until you get some back in there :-)

Fluid
As far as I've read, it is unwise to mix fluid types in the 6hp gearbox. The 6hp is a very sophisticated box which when working well, shifts so smoothly you almost can't tell its happening. To this end, the fluid plays a really big part in the continued performance of the box, and so basically, you want to be sure what your putting in there is the RIGHT thing.

Some audi cars delivered with the 6hp 19, including some c6 allroads, were subject to a TSB which basically called for a transmission control module remap (done by the dealer) along with a complete fluid change from the ZF lifeguard 6, to ZF lifeguard 8.

If this has happened to your car, you need to know about it, because lets say another 100,000km down the track you decide to change the trans fluid, its going to be really BAD if you put lifeguard 6 in it instead of 8. The fluid plays such an important role in the gearbox function, that since your TCU is programmed to suit LG8, its going to start doing damage to the clutches pretty quick if you have LG6 in it.

How to tell if you car has been subject to the TSB? The best way to tell is going to be to check the fluid colour. Short of doing that, you would want documentary proof in the service records that that is the case.

Either way, all it means for you as the owner is that when you come to do any subsequent fluid changes, put the same fluid type in the box as it had in it before, either lifeguard 6 or lifeguard 8.

Fluid change method
There are lots of DIY's on the web for a ZF trans fluid change, and ZF put instructions on their website too.

Fluid change interval

OK. Some of you will have heard, read, or been told "Filled for life". Frankly this is simple BS. ZF themselves state that for both the 5hp and 6hp transmissions, the fluid should be changed at latest 7 years or 120,000km, and sooner depending on the usage conditions. For instance, for regular towing duties, as frequently as every 60,000km.

For a 5hp19 FLA, a full rebuild (not including the valve body) is going to set you back about $6000 AUD. Mine box in my c5 allroad died at 270,000km, and it had had only 1 fluid change in its life (at 225,000km).

Considering that a fluid change in the 5hp will only set you back about $150 if you DIY, and for the 6hp, around $250, I'd say regular changes are good insurance at least for extending the life of the box.

fred27
10-09-2016, 09:17 AM
Thanks for sharing, very informative