PDA

View Full Version : Time to upgrade

vwpolo
08-09-2016, 06:03 PM
So our 2009 tiguan has done some hard yards offroad and towing the 16ft caravan and now at 210 thou klms looking to upgrade to a new one . We love the heated leather seats and want the new 4motion dial thingy .can anybody give me pointers on models . Can i get the comfitline with upgrade comfit park . Or do i have to go a highline .thanks todd

tigger73
08-09-2016, 06:48 PM
Jump on the VW Australia website and there's a micro-site for the new Tiguan: https://new-tiguan.volkswagenaustralia.com.au/index.html

All the models and options are listed down the bottom of the page including the option packages. There's also a flyer you can download also right at the bottom.

If you're after heated leather seats you'll need to option the luxury pack onto the Comfortline (110TDI or 132TSI) which are both AWD models.

However the Luxury Pack also includes a panoramic sunroof so if you don't want a sunroof then you'll need to get the Highline (140TDI/162TSI engine) which comes with leather interior but no sunroof. Hopefully that's clear as mud!

vwpolo
08-09-2016, 07:06 PM
I can live with a sunroof again .thanks ill take a look at the link

tigger73
08-09-2016, 07:30 PM
Here's your choice if you want leather:

Comfortline 132TSI + Lux Pack ($46,490 + ORC) vs Highline 162TSI ($48,490 + ORC)

or

Comfortline 110TDI + Lux Pack ($47,990 + ORC) vs Highline 140TDI ($49,990 + ORC)

If you go Comfortline + Luxury Pack, you get the sunroof.

If you go Highline you get the upgraded motor, Discover Pro SatNav (upgraded head unit), LED headlights, LED interior lights, upgraded LED tail lights, DSG paddle shift on steering wheel, 18" Alloys.

I guess it depends which options you want and if you're prepared to pay the $2k extra to get the Highline.

vwpolo
08-09-2016, 07:47 PM
Thanks for that looks like a hard choice is coming , i want to still be able venture offroad and drive in the paddocks once i got my land sorted so the 18s would cause some issues

kacak
08-09-2016, 08:38 PM
and if you're prepared to pay the $2k extra to get the Highline.

Just to add - if you were thinking of adding the Drivers Assistance Pack (which includes the fancy but cool Active Info Display, Active Cruise Control, etc), then the gap narrows by another $250 because:

DAP option for Comfortline +$2,250
DAP option for Highline +$2,000

tigger73
08-09-2016, 10:16 PM
Just to add - if you were thinking of adding the Drivers Assistance Pack (which includes the fancy but cool Active Info Display, Active Cruise Control, etc), then the gap narrows by another $250 because:

DAP option for Comfortline +$2,250
DAP option for Highline +$2,000

Both DAP and Luxury pack have the folding mirrors. So when you include both options there is a saving of $250. So you're still looking at $2k difference with or without DAP.

Personally I'd go with DAP just for the adaptive cruise control. I've got it in my current car and it's waaaay better than standard cruise control. If I have to jump into my wife's Tig it's a bit of a pain as if you turn on cruise control in the city you have to keep adjusting it in traffic.

kacak
08-09-2016, 10:58 PM
Both DAP and Luxury pack have the folding mirrors. So when you include both options there is a saving of $250. So you're still looking at $2k difference with or without DAP.

I did check with my dealer when you first mentioned that to me, but he wouldn't budge. Basically said the discount in Highline DAP wasn't due to the duplicate power mirrors but due to higher trim.

tigger73
09-09-2016, 07:13 AM
I did check with my dealer when you first mentioned that to me, but he wouldn't budge. Basically said the discount in Highline DAP wasn't due to the duplicate power mirrors but due to higher trim.

Then your dealer probably hasn't worked out how to put the option packages together yet. It's still early days and they likely just went "safe" and included everything.

There is a separate model code (P14) to add the folding mirrors to the DAP (P15) which includes the other options minus folding mirrors. P14 is $250. When they are optioning just the DAP on the Comfortline then they need to include P14 and P15.

However if you're buying DAP (P15) and Luxury Pack (W02) on a Comfortline, then the dealer doesn't need to add P14 as the folding mirrors are already in W02.

If you have already signed a contract I'd be getting them to rewrite it with the $250 saving in your favour. Otherwise the dealer is going to be pocketing the extra $250 when they find out how to order the car correctly.

The reason why folding mirrors have their own option code is because there's a number of combinations with and without folding mirrors and you need to be able to option these separately (they are included standard with Highline and Luxury Pack).

I'd be interested to see if someone could option a Comfortline with just folding mirrors (P14). Actually I'd be more interested if you could factory order a Comfortline with R-line (W01) ;)

kacak
09-09-2016, 08:31 AM
There is a separate model code (P14) to add the folding mirrors to the DAP (P15) which includes the other options minus folding mirrors. P14 is $250. When they are optioning just the DAP on the Comfortline then they need to include P14 and P15.

However if you're buying DAP (P15) and Luxury Pack (W02) on a Comfortline, then the dealer doesn't need to add P14 as the folding mirrors are already in W02.

Thanks tigger for the helpful details! I will see what he says when presented with this info. May I ask how you know so much about the ordering system (apologies, I'm new here :)

I guess at the end of the day, it's the final discounted price that matters, not individual line items. But certainly worth giving it a shot!

Cheers,
Kacak

vwpolo
09-09-2016, 01:46 PM
Thanks heading to canberra dealer in the next few weeks to see what they can do for lease purchase price .

tigger73
09-09-2016, 10:56 PM
Thanks tigger for the helpful details! I will see what he says when presented with this info. May I ask how you know so much about the ordering system (apologies, I'm new here :)

I guess at the end of the day, it's the final discounted price that matters, not individual line items. But certainly worth giving it a shot!

Cheers,
Kacak

No problems. Hopefully it'll save you a few $.

Every VW option has a 3 digit option code (also called a PR code). There will be a sticker on the boot floor which has all the option codes that the car was fitted from the factory. There's a number of databases you can search online that decode these options and can tell you what each code means.

kacak
10-09-2016, 12:54 AM
No problems. Hopefully it'll save you a few $.
The dealer got back to me and said he'll check with the GM as he expects more instructions closer to the launch date. He did say he'll adjust the price if necessary :)

He did ask me whether I got such specific details from another dealer :P

tigger73
10-09-2016, 07:06 AM
The dealer got back to me and said he'll check with the GM as he expects more instructions closer to the launch date. He did say he'll adjust the price if necessary :)

He did ask me whether I got such specific details from another dealer :P

Good outcome - you just want to get them to confirm with VWA about how to order there DAP/Lux pack on the Comfortline. My guess is that they figure so few people will do this that they didn't think about it (DAP+Lux pack on Comfortline is same price as Highline). There are a few peculiarities with ordering the folding mirrors due to being included with several different options/models.

And no I don't work for VW or a dealer but I have been around long enough to know how these kind of things work. More than likely a note will go around to all the dealers shortly telling them how to order various models/options (if it hasn't already). Though they could go and look on the system to see how a fully loaded Comfortline is configured in terms of the various PR/option codes.

tigger73
11-09-2016, 03:11 PM
If you want to see all the individual model codes for each option check out the NZ Tiguan specs/options: https://www.volkswagen.co.nz/media/454074/spec_opt_sheet_tiguan_my17_15_august_2016.pdf

Jimi
11-09-2016, 07:04 PM
I have a purely hypothetical dilemma for my next car (at least a year away and I'm happy with my GTI for now). I want AWD, more size and a bit of fun. I am weighing up

- Passat 206tsi wagon ($60k); or
- Tiguan 162tsi specced to match the Passat, so with R Line and the pack with the electronic display ($48k + $4k + $2k = $54k).

Once the specs are brought close to each other the pricing is 10% different.

As I see it, the Tiguan pros are
- new 7 speed DSG (the Passat's 6 speed is a bit older)
- clearance
- slightly cheaper
- slightly newer switchgear but it's very similar

Passat pros:
- faster
- noticeably bigger in rear seats (?) and boot

What have I missed? Has anyone put the Tiguan up against the equivalent Passat? Expecting pro-Tiguan responses given the forum

Janko
11-09-2016, 09:44 PM
Much depends on how important the "clearance" criterion is.If you need it on a regular basis for going off road or for ease of parking anywhere,then it is a fairly straight forward decision.

As for rear passengers,Passat is ok for two and will be a bit tight for three.Tiguan can accommodate three more comfortably as there is no hump in the footwell.

Tiguan has got better all round visibility but may not be important for a seasoned driver.

Tiguan does not have memory seats with massage function :smile:

tigger73
12-09-2016, 10:42 PM
I have a purely hypothetical dilemma for my next car (at least a year away and I'm happy with my GTI for now). I want AWD, more size and a bit of fun. I am weighing up

- Passat 206tsi wagon ($60k); or
- Tiguan 162tsi specced to match the Passat, so with R Line and the pack with the electronic display ($48k + $4k + $2k = $54k).

Once the specs are brought close to each other the pricing is 10% different.

As I see it, the Tiguan pros are
- new 7 speed DSG (the Passat's 6 speed is a bit older)
- clearance
- slightly cheaper
- slightly newer switchgear but it's very similar

Passat pros:
- faster
- noticeably bigger in rear seats (?) and boot

What have I missed? Has anyone put the Tiguan up against the equivalent Passat? Expecting pro-Tiguan responses given the forum

Well as I see it the comparison is:

higher output motor and weaker DSG box in a wagon vs slightly less powerful motor and stronger DSG box in a SUV

If you're going to swap out at the end of the warranty then it's toss a coin. But if you're going to keep longer term I think the reliability of the 7 speed DQ500 DSG is a strong selling point in the Tiguan's favour.

The 162TSI R-line is a more distinctive car than the Passat 206TSI which looks like every other Passat with a body kit. The only real cues are the badge on the back (not sure if they're running a quad tip exhaust on the 206TSI or not).

If history is anything to go by then resale for the Tiguan should be better than the Passat.

My suggestion is get the 132TSI Tiguan and chip it to ~235kw. It'll beat the Passat 206TSI and give you close to $20k in your pocket.

Jimi
14-09-2016, 07:46 PM
Thank you both. I'm leaning the way of the Tiguan, just want to see the boot size in person (in fact I'm looking forward to checking out both in person)

Gladbach
14-09-2016, 10:29 PM
The boot is much bigger than the previous model. Still, I have a 2012 Jetta at the moment which has a MASSIVE boot, so it will be a downgrade going to the Tiguan. Although, I'm looking forward to having the flat load rather than a boot lip, and with the seats down you end up with a really usable cargo area for larger loads.